Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, I'd Like To Give You A Huge Thank You (Penta)

Xylia

Last night, after getting enough levels on this weapon to stick actual mods on it, I'd have to say......wow. I've had the most fun in Warframe that I've had for a very long time. Strun Wraith pre-nerfs was awesome. Soma was awesome pre-nerfs, but those two guns were more of the same, just more powerful roflstomp weapons.

The Penta, however is a whole new ballgame....

Click! *BOOM!*

It actually promotes a lot of Ninja-esque play, it reminds me of a ninja running up to a doorway, tossing in a smoke bomb or two, letting them explode and then running in while the enemy is distracted/coughing/etc. I could imagine a good bit of this type of gameplay going on where I'd approach a room, lob a few in and blow them up before proceeding in myself in corpus ship and grineer galleon maps.

For Asteroids and Outposts, this weapon is an awesome mortar-like weapon, aim high and rain grenades down on your foes.

And for maximum effectiveness, Go Nova! I tried this last night on a Corpus Outpost Survival. I'd prime up 10-15 mobs and lob a couple grenades for two of the most epic explosions back-to-back. It added a whole new playstyle to Warframe, that really scratches my destructive itch when I just want to blow *bleeeep!* up. Assault rifles and akimbo pistols are fun, but sometimes I just want to hear a satisfying "BOOOM!".

Now, for those of you who are screaming "OP!":

It isn't OP at all -- it is a high skill, high risk, high reward weapon.

Unskilled/Low-skilled players will end up wasting a lot of time hitting nothing with their explosions and/or killing themselves with their own weapon while skilled players will see a lot of practical use behind such a weapon and pull off some of the most epic trick shots (I've done a few chuckle-worthy ones myself already).

Skilled players will use terrain to their advantage, step up to a door, fire a couple grenades, then duck behind the wall and let the door close.

The more powerful mods you stick on this thing (especially Firestorm.....), the more danger you are to yourself. Even the most skilled player might not see an erroneous grenade bounce in the middle of a heated firefight and end up blowing themselves to Hell with their own bombs (whoops... lol). I've killed myself three times already in the Void, because White and Gold Environment + Tiny White and Blue Grenades = "I have no idea where that went but I'm gonna right click anyways!"

That's what the Penta is -- a Click and Pray weapon. You've heard of Spray and Pray? This is Click and Pray. The right mouse button reminds me of a hand-held detonator in games that you can use C4 packs and I can't help but to grin and click the mouse button extra loud for dramatic effect.

This weapon is just so much fun, and is an example of how we can add new, interesting weapons that actually change up gameplay, rather than being Random Gun #387 that is either an assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, or projectile weapon.

We need more like these, please.

I'm just waiting for a nerf on it that will completely destroy the weapon.

No trust in De atm. When it comes to that

I really hope not. The Penta is fun but it does have very prominent drawbacks which balance up the weapon. Reload speed, rather small mag capacity and slow fire rate and no polarities. Damage when compared to the Ogris is lower yet the chance of blowing yourself up is present.

This thing is one of the few well balance weapon we had this year which really push people to mod it according to your style rather then a general build.

But looking at the history of this game, I know you, and I get you.

One can only hope.....

Edited by Krysis_V

im surprised DE didnt do a Penta bankshot contest

but, ya...very fun weapon so far. let's see what the next patches bring (will the explosions remain silent, ala Ogris? ..oops)

Next update obviously brings a massive nerf, knowing how DE operates.

All we need now is a penta that doesnt have bouncy grenades. id rather place my nades then wait for them to go bang.. or perhaps develop a mode of gameplay where placing remote charges works maybe? thats ninja style not some grenade launcher that you cant tell where things are going to bounce too.