Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When Are We Going To Get More Mod Slots For Our Weapons/warframes?

xoxcloudxox

TD;DR : We could have more slots on weapons, but all mods should be dispensable. That would allow more flexibility and prevent overpowered builds.

EDIT : I realize what I said is mainly about weapons. In case of warframes, it wouldn't hurt to have more slots right now I think.

All mods should be viable:

serration should only increase physical damage. Not elemental damage. That way, you wouldn't be forced to use it.

To compensate, elementals would deal a higher percentage of the base damage (90% -> 240% if we want the same final values as now. I'm ignoring heavy caliber for the calculus but you see what I mean).

- Multishot mods should definitely be nerfed. Sorry about that but you can't have a serious build without them right now. It's a problem.

- Utility mods could also have a buff. The reload speed mods are a typical example : with "fast hands" maxed, you reload 30% quicker. That means that the duration is reduced by 23% (x%/(1+x%)). It's ridiculous, even for just 7 mod capacities. I would like it to give -50% time (so +100% speed).

- We could have more control over status chances. For instance, it would be great to have a mod that increases the "freeze" status chance independently of the other statuses or damage.

What's the link with the current issue:

Weapons currently become too overpowered when you forma them. If we added more slots right now, as many people said, it would lead to even more powerful weapons and an almost unique build per enemy.

However, with the changes I proposed, one or two more slots wouldn't add a lot to the weapons' power.

Space ninjas play free and freely:

- I'm against the idea of forcing people to use utility mods. Let them the choice. If utility mods are really useful, no doubt we'll use them.

- I'm also against the idea to give slots for real money. I already hear too often that Warframe is pay-to-win, although I don't think so.

That would help balance the game:

Currently, beginners are quite weak (maybe too much ?), and advanced players are incredibly powerful with a few weapons. With the changes I propose, you would not change deeply the experience of the newcomers, but 2 more slots would be required to become as powerful as we are now.

Edited by Lluid

They should simply do away with the ability slots on a Warframe and put two blank slots instead, and have the warframe's abilities unlock and grow stronger as it levels up.

This would also give more interesting effects in the lower levels of combat. If you're just starting out on a new frame, it'd be pretty neat for you to level up and unlock the use of your next ability mid-mission.

It could go something like:

Unranked - Ability One Unlocks

Level 4 - Ability One Grows Stronger

Level 5 - Ability Two Unlocks

Level 8 - Ability One Grows Stronger

Level 9 - Ability Two Grows Stronger

Level 10 - Ability Three Unlocks

Level 12 - Ability One Maxes

Level 13 - Ability Two Grows Stronger

Level 14 - Ability Three Grows Stronger

Level 15 - Ability Four Unlocks

Level 17 - Ability Two Maxes

Level 18 - Ability Three Grows Stronger

Level 19 - Ability Four Grows Stronger

Level 22 - Ability Three Maxes

Level 23 - Ability Four Grows Stronger

Level 27 - Ability Four Maxes

Not sure what could be for Level 30, perhaps a perk that's different per warframe(5% increase in efficiency, range etc.).

We'd be taking away two slot technically, but have eight free slots is better then having six with four for mods, it's also designed so each level feels a little more like it means something in terms of the frame's potential.

Iunno, it was a quick idea.

More slots could work as a weapon balancing point.  Like say, the Braton MK.1 has 10 mod slots versus the standard 8.

Giving everything more mod slots isn't the best thing to do though, I'll agree to others on that.  That just means more damage mods.  That's fine on the generally recognized weaker weapons, or even damage specific or gimmicky weapons like the boltor (all it does is shoot slow traveling puncture bolts.)  More slots on a weapon like the Soma?  Beyond broken.

Id love to be able to put things like maxed ammo drum or maxed reload mods, to make my weapons more efficient without sacrificing my damage, and with the way maxed builds are today there is no room at all, in my soma i have serration, heavy caliber, splitchamber, pointstrike, vital sense, hammershot, hellfire & infected clip, thus no room for the gimick mods

they add it and people start yelling this game too easy and all that BS again

but yes ive been asking for this since U10 >_< too many mods not enough room

Never. The Devs do not want weapons and warframes to have more slots, as then it would be FAR to easy to create a single uber build for everything. What we have is fine, and makes you actually think about what your doing instead of being lazy and putting everything you can on the weapon/warframe

This is wrong. With every additional update and every mod addition, DE realized at one point that some mods are being neglected altogether simply because there are always a set of basic mods that take precedence. For warframes, it's always the basic defensive mods and abilities plus mods to power up the abilities (Especially corrupted mods, which often require other corrupted mods to balance them out); this leaves little other room for the mods that don't boost your defense or your abilities (Stamina mods, loot-related mods, utility mods, etc). Point-in-case: have you ever tried modding Ember? Let's say you want Overheat and World on Fire. You need power strength (Focus, Blind Rage), but then you need power efficiency to balance out the blind rage (Fleeting Expertise, Streamline). Then you need duration to balance the loss of duration (Narrow Minded, Continuity, Constitution), but then you need range to balance that out (Stretch, Overextended). That's 9 mods required to power up her abilities alone, never mind the 2 abilities plus redirection and any other defensive or utility mods.

For weapons, it's always the basic damage and multishot mods and elements plus crit if the weapon relies on crit. That leaves little room for customization, so mods like +Zoom, +Ammo, +Status, and other mods that don't directly contribute to DPS are completely abandoned. Weapons like Synapse have few build options since it's always: Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Cal, Point Strike, Vital Sense, 2 elements, and one other mod (another element or ammo mut, since Hammershot doesn't increase DPS as much as another element on ANY crit weapon). People are smart and they realize that there is a huge opportunity cost of using a utility mod that doesn't contribute to DPS. 

DE wants build variety. As far as build variety goes, some mods are mandatory (Warframe: Redirection, certain abilities, certain mods to power up those abilities and Weapons: Damage, Multishot, Elemental damage, Crit, Ammo Mut), and other mods are being ignored altogether.

• 3 months later...

More mod slots for warframes are a MUST. Absolutely no more mod capacity, though.

Here's a practical reason: I have an Ember Prime built around WoF. She has Energy Siphon (Polarized), Blind Rage (Polarized), Intesify, Continuity, Stretch, Constitution (Polarized), Accelerant, Overextended (rank 1), Streamline, Flow, World on Fire.

To achieve this build I had to completely sacrifice any defense I might've had and half my abilities. Also it left me with no room for any kind of utility mods, unless you count Flow as utility.

I think warframes need at least 4 slots more, since the abilities take up that. And if anyone starts complaining about how OP it would make the warframes, they might want to re-think their attitude towards Corrupted mods. One is good, two is average and the more you have the worse it gets. Rather, those 4 slots would probably be used for some utility mods.

I don't know about weapons, though. Maybe two slots, maybe none. As pointed out, it might not make much of a difference in mod choices.

But in terms of total damage, the last damage mods would be less effective. If you already have 1000% increased damage, another 180% isn't much of a increase. At that point reload speed might become more viable. Also, I kinda agree that if someone has the patience to Polarize a weapon 8 times, they kind of deserve to have a more OP weapon.

To sum it up, I think 2 weapon slots and 4 warframe slots would be good. Or weapons could have varying amounts of them to balance it out.

Edit: For reference and to prove a point:

Blind Rage+Fleeting Expertise+Narrow Minded+Overextended vs Intesify+Streamline+Continuity+Stretch

Power Strength: +39%                                                                    Power Strength: +30%

Power Efficiency: +5%                                                                    Power Efficiency: +30%

Power Duration: +39%                                                                    Power Duration: +30%

Power Range: +24%                                                                       Power Range: +45%

Mod Capacity: 54                                                                            Mod Capacity: 38

Edited by WyzaiDDZ

-snip-

Good job resurrecting a thread that's been dead for 4 months... Also there are currently like 20 other more active threads about that matter in the feedback section, which probably don't change a damn thing on the problem because as long as the Devs don't think there's a problem they won't change anything about it.

Edited by MeduSalem

Good job resurrecting a thread that's been dead for 4 months... Also there are currently like 20 other more active threads about that matter in the feedback section, which probably don't change a damn thing on the problem because as long as the Devs don't think there's a problem they won't change anything about it.

Sadly true.  The only feedback they ever actually want is the feedback they ask for from the design council.  It's like dealing with Peter Molyneaux, only the game isn't being unintentionally sabotaged by the guy, DE is just willfully ignorant of any concerns about how Warframe could do better.

Sadly true.  The only feedback they ever actually want is the feedback they ask for from the design council.  It's like dealing with Peter Molyneaux, only the game isn't being unintentionally sabotaged by the guy, DE is just willfully ignorant of any concerns about how Warframe could do better.

I don't know if they are willfully ignorant about it... But as long as the roof isn't burning they won't call for the firefighters, even the flames already burst out through the windows. I guess they think it's not broken enough yet and that they will be able to fix/balance it eventually, but when they get around to do it they'll unavoidable notice that it's already to late for a simple balancing of some weapon/mod-stats. They probably thought they had fixed the major problems with Damage 2.0... but the truth is that we just got Rainbow 2.0 - for most part.

Won't going to say that I'm not a DPS hog myself... but I forcefully managed to tone myself down and use all the Dual-Stat mods over the potential maximum damage output. The sad fact about is... Most of those Dualstat mods increase damage in one way or another too and the ones that do not nobody gives a damn about.

Divide mods into Utility and Damage subclasses. Add one Utility slot for weapons, something aura like, and i would be fine with that.

At this point I realized that we need more than just 2 subclasses of mods... I made that quick diagram a few weeks ago (I have a whole collection of different thoughts/diagrams on how one could deal with it - that being only one of them):

10003620_304598783029369_344471263_o.png

My thought on that was that I want the current system to be easily converted over so that the least people would be screwed over.

The white slots are available from the beginning. 8 for Weapons and 10 for Warframes (all ability slots enabled). Greyed out slots would be future expansion the Devs could think about. How they are unlocked I don't know... Something like Super-Forma/Catalysator/Reactor or with the upcoming Focus-System whatever. That's open to discussion.

Polarities would be changed to resemble which subcategory a certain mod fits in... You can only put it in the right subcategory slot or in a shared slot, but nowhere else. Forma'ing wouldn't change a slot polarity but it halfes the costs for a mod being put in a particular slot - so you eventually only have to forma a weapon 8 times (10 with Warframes).

Damage mods like Serration, Splitchamber, Hornetstrike, Barreldiffusion, that add nothing but direct damage and are therefore mandatory nomatter what should be changed to be conditional damage mods. As well as most of the other mods have to be re-classified in terms of polarity and stats to fit a proper subcategory.

Another problem that should be fixed eventually is that the Dual-Stat mods are overnuking the V-polarity requirement currently, so I would propose that all Dual-Stat mods where the single-stat counterparts have mismatching polarities should get a new polarity alltogether, so they don't fit into any other slots than the shared ones, limiting you to have only 4 of them equipped at a time.

Something like it... I haven't fully fleshed it out yet because I know there will be people raging about it no matter what and DE not giving a damn eventually. Like the 100 other threads about similar proposals.

Edited by MeduSalem