Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Mean...can They Make The Hacking Puzzles Harder?

ExorcistEX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-TVA-THrx4#t=508

another c64 classic with a mini puzzle game, in fact if we really thought hard theres bound to be shedloads of golden oldies that have had simple but effective puzzle type sequences.

and more and more etc etc, tons of ideas/oldies for inspiration.

i suppose anything that is made would have to be simple for both pc and console/cpad users tho, it is much easier doing me2 puzzles for example on the pc than controller just coz the mouse is so much faster/easier to use.

Edited by Methanoid

I definitely think that style of hacking should match the faction.

And I wouldn't mind seeing it used in more places when appropriate. 

I mean it would be so nice if we could hack a console that would negate the enemies ability to sound an alarm.

BUT remember guys-some folks play warframe for the action and are very against playing puzzles.

So they would be very annoyed if the hacking became something that actually required effort.

They are all for challenging combat and strategy that requires thought...

but challenge in features you don't like just equates to boredom and frustration.

I have to say I like the idea of faction specific puzzles.

This also allows for faction specific ciphers, which would naturally flow from ClanTech faction workshops.

Difficulty is a bit more nebulous, but higher levels of it on higher level missions would be interstesting, but it'd be easy to get way too carried away on this. It would give intruder a reason to exist, though.

Another thought is to perhaps have some vaults/stashes/caches/whathaveyou that can only be breached with a hacking puzzle. These, being somewhat removed from direct combat, could add that extra challenge through difficulty, requiring such things as expensive ciphers or a high level intruder mod.

I can't speak for other people, but if I wanted a puzzle that requires me to stop and think then I would be playing a puzzle game.

I agree with this guy. The current ones already serve their purpose cause whenever im running a mission and a system needs to get hacked i always end up making a slight dissatisfied face.

Puzzles for a thing like that is not the main thing this game has going for it.

I will propose a counter suggestion tho:

Keep the puzzles as they are when you gotta bypass the shutdown alarm BUT include new secret rooms where you gotta bypass with a harder code to decipher to get into a hidden room with some loot. Can put negative effects on failing like decreased max health/max shields to give punishment of trying to solve them if so.

The difficulty of puzzles should increase at higher levels. IMO a level 30 mission should have 16+ blocks in puzzles. Make the puzzles so hard you either need ciphers or the intruder mod to hack consoles at very high levels (50+ ?).

well they dont have to scale mentally high or nething, i mean the whole starmap is considered tiered 1-3, so just have 3 grades of difficulty.  and your right, god only knows some mods need a reason to exist, that could be 1 for intruder.

@Mastikator2

And I think that those puzzles should only be for side things and not for lock-downs or anything that you are required to do in order to proceed.

You ran out of your last cipher and your maxed out intruder mod wont let you hack the console in enough time? Well I guess Its time to give up on all the loot because now your stuck in permanent lockdown with no way to get to extraction. Hopefully you haven't gained any rare mods....

And difficulty like your suggesting just seems far too excessive. If I wanted that hard of a timed puzzle I would play a puzzle game.

I wouldn't mind them being a tad more challenging, but no where near the level you want.

something i've been thinking, is how there's almost no reason at all to hack, only when you get caught. it'd be nice if the levels spawned a "treasure room" (kind of like orokin ones) but to reach it you had to:
1) not trigger any alarms (thus making stealth-play give a reward)
2) Solve a series of cyphers.

but puzzles need more shapes, it's always the same 4 or so shapes, but rotated. could have ones where the lines don't flow through the middle of the hexagon.

Should really change the hacking puzzles to be more goal-oriented.

For example, closing a window to the vacuum of space really shouldn't be a hacker's job.  Just a quick panic button press.  On the other hand, exposing a ship's reactor core would be something only a select few individuals have access to.  So you'd have to hack that.

Also, if you're looking for a better reason to have mods like "Master Thief" active, hacking would be a big one.

i still dont get why some people believes "hacking" is fun in a shooter.

but, welp, just waiting for enhaced puzzles to see hordes of player whining about" i cant hack this, nerf it, the napalm grineer keeps killing me " posts.

all the examples you are mentioning are not online games, warframe usually is non stop action / cheap death moments, will love to see how this develop.

Edited by omega_phoenix

Nightmare Mode with "hard" hacking puzzles to open every door?

A boss encounter with optional "hard" hack terminals that reduce boss shields, turn turrets against the boss, or remove one of the bosses "phases" completely?

Treasure rooms with a "hard" hacking puzzle to unlock?

Daily login reward hacking puzzle to reroll the reward? >_>

Edited by Ryme

Nightmare Mode with "hard" hacking puzzles to open every door?

A boss encounter with optional "hard" hack terminals that reduce boss shields, turn turrets against the boss, or remove one of the bosses "phases" completely?

Treasure rooms with a "hard" hacking puzzle to unlock?

Daily login reward hacking puzzle to reroll the reward? >_>

good thoughts, love to see these things.

This is a "little thing" that isn't really so little - different puzzles per faction, new puzzles etc, would make such a difference! Hopefully this is something dev can squeeze in, would be a noticeable and welcome change that's been discussed for a while!

Neat example, Methanoid.

Would love to see "wiring" puzzles for the corpus, but honestly all of this has led me to think about something.

I'm a board game enthusiast/designer and for relatively easy/medium challenging real time puzzles I'm reminded of a game that has great examples that are translatable in concept to the digital medium. Fantasy Flight Games "Mansions of Madness".  As part of the game play there are moments when a player must solve a real-time puzzle to progress.  these puzzles are elegantly designed and have several different difficulties.  I highly recommend taking a look for some ideas of how simply in concept a scaling puzzle can be done in a couple different ways.  I mainly bring it up because the current hacking is already similar to what this game offers.

There are two current issues as i see it 1. the puzzles are repetitive to an extreme and 2. they are way to easy.  I think variety is more the solution than difficulty but a measure of both could make that aspect of the game more interesting.  I would love for the game play to have more depth in areas other than running and gunning, even if it's only a "stealth" mission with harder hacks as a measure of difficulty.

I'd love to see a puzzle room right before the boss that needs to be solved simultaneously by everyone before you could get through. People will probably use this as another way to troll but I just want to see more puzzles involving the whole squad. oh and I like to see a version of this on Corpus ships 

@KarbineRoller

At the most it should be a 2 man puzzle, unless it was for an optional treasure room.

Otherwise it would only take 1 person to prevent the party from ever fighting the boss.

You would have people acting like they did in the cicero event with the lapis anti-toxin and just mess things up because they have the ability to.

@KarbineRoller

At the most it should be a 2 man puzzle, unless it was for an optional treasure room.

Otherwise it would only take 1 person to prevent the party from ever fighting the boss.

You would have people acting like they did in the cicero event with the lapis anti-toxin and just mess things up because they have the ability to.

Just like parkour and stealth, puzzle solving sould not be a "required" skill. At its core, this is a combat game. Things like puzzles and stealth should be optional features that enrich a player's experience, not a skill wall that outright blocks them from the main progression path.

Edited by Ryme

Just to clarify, I have nothing against DE increasing the difficulty of puzzles. I just don't feel like having to deal with something that could be even more annoying than it already is. I didn't get into Warframe for the puzzle aspect and the puzzles aren't what kept me coming back. If I want to play a puzzler I can go play that world of goo game or something. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just elaborating on my request of a 'shootout panel' option.

Skip to the one minute mark

http://youtu.be/4dpO7ru4BEM

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

Just to clarify, I have nothing against DE increasing the difficulty of puzzles. I just don't feel like having to deal with something that could be even more annoying than it already is. I didn't get into Warframe for the puzzle aspect and the puzzles aren't what kept me coming back. If I want to play a puzzler I can go play that world of goo game or something. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just elaborating on my request of a 'shootout panel' option.

My position is if a mechanic is in the game (hacking is) and it's something that servers a purpose (which hacking does) they might as well make it both interesting and worthwhile.  This doesn't mean something major, just some variety and requiring more than two brain cells to figure out.  If you don't want to deal with it well, there are always ciphers, you have them now and i doubt they are going away.

right now the Hacking time extension mod is a seeming insult to the intelligence of the player base.  (i know no insult was intended but i mean come on who actually fails a hack like ever if they aren't being actively distracted.)

I'd rather just have my character locked into position for 10 seconds and not have to deal with that damn minigame. There's a reason Bioware finally gave up on hacking minigames for ME3... and games where it works like Deus Ex require more depth in the mechanic than is at all necessary for Warframe. I'm here to shootstab things in the face not get annoyed because THE LEFT/RIGHT CONTROLS FOR A DUMB MINIGAME ARE COMPLETELY BACKWARDS AND THERE ARE NO OPTIONS TO CHANGE IT (AND SHOULD BE CONTROLLED BY THE KEYBOARD ANYWAY.)