Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Crossbow Should Replace Mk1Braton As Starting Weapon

ChickenBar

note the "should". this is nothing more than an idea.

The problem with MK1-Braton is:

1. it STILL shares the same model with the Braton.

2. it is nothing more than a "starting" rifle, as stated in Codex. commonly known as noob weapon.

3. public consensus is this rifle is pretty much a downgrade version of Braton, and the Vandal, and the Prime.

However when you market a game with "Ninja Play Free", this crossbow screams Ninja all over it and I think it is the perfect weapon for starters.

whether this change would be unfair to veteran players or create exploits that I don't know. But if I were a new player and I have this beautiful, hopefully relatively balanced, unusual, stealthy, ninja weapon in my possession when I first start the game, I imagine my first impression would be way better than having a MK1 and stick my face into the game in no time.

Tenno_crossbow.JPG

That's actually an idea... But then we have the issue of this...

What if a person doesn't like a game without an automatic weapon?

I think it would be a good side choice to be honest, but there should be multiple starting weapons and gear to choose from.

Crossbow is likely a precision weapon and so it  requires better aim and is less forgiving to misses then a fully automatic weapon.

Because of that it does not fall in the "beginner" category.

As much as I agree that it is a cool weapon I can't recommend it as the right starting weapon.

I don't know if giving them one of the newest weapons in the market is fair, but I agree that starting weapons are problematic.

1. There should not be a bad version of the Braton as a starting weapon.

2. Give new players a CHOICE between starting weapons. A choice between long range (Vulkar), Braton (general purpose), and some shotgun.

3. Maybe if stealth gets fixed, DE could throw in a choice between the Lato and a silent secondary weapon.

Nice idea, but there's something you are not considering:

The Braton is the easiest weapon to use, no need for skill, perfect for starters who don't know how to move on the game. The crossbow will do nothing but make harder a starting which is already hard

Edited by HK-A6A7

1.Doing so would interfere with DE's F2P scheme. You want better weapons that are satisfying to use? Shell out the cash or start to grind. EDIT: Not saying I agree with this model.

2. The crossbow is an 'exotic' weapon, and usually exotic weapons are reserved for later in the game.

You know what I would like to see? Starting choices for new players. New player, when picking their character, would have a choice between several weapons that fit different playstyles. For primaries, you have the regular Braton (no MK1 bs), the Latron (sniping), and the Strun (close range). And so on.'

Well I got ninja'd multiple times. Glad to see I'm not the only one with that idea.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

For a new player, you would want a weapon thats 100% balanced in terms of usability in early levels, hence the typical assault rifle, decent reload, decent damage, and good clip size. I also suppose the fact that its a downgraded version of a Braton would mean that it'd urge new players to want a new weapon, and learn the system behind making things! :D
If the player wanted the same weapon but better, then the Braton is available to make, If the player feels for another weapon, then theyd go for that ^.^

Plus the whole Slash/Puncture/Impact damage thing that Damage 2.0 introduced would also mean that the starter weapon would need to have an even stat in all of these things

Gotta agree that the MK-1 is a subpar intro weapon for beginners to get saddled with, but I also have to agree that the crossbow is a bit of a niche weapon compared to automatic rifles. Personally I think they should remove the MK-1 Braton and give new players a choice of the following three primaries:

-Braton

-Strun

-Latron

Granted I'm not sure how OP or not the Strun and Latron are for beginners based on their current stats, but they can always be rebalanced and it would be nice if players could have a choice of playstyle from the get go, not to mention all these weapons remain fairly viable when modded correctly, meaning players could actually hold onto them instead of grogging through 30 levels for mastery points.

Gotta agree that the MK-1 is a subpar intro weapon for beginners to get saddled with, but I also have to agree that the crossbow is a bit of a niche weapon compared to automatic rifles. Personally I think they should remove the MK-1 Braton and give new players a choice of the following three primaries:

-Braton

-Strun

-Latron

Granted I'm not sure how OP or not the Strun and Latron are for beginners based on their current stats, but they can always be rebalanced and it would be nice if players could have a choice of playstyle from the get go, not to mention all these weapons remain fairly viable when modded correctly, meaning players could actually hold onto them instead of grogging through 30 levels for mastery points.

Agree with post, disagree with bolded part. They need no nerfing. Already weak enough, especially without mods (as noobs won't get most mods for a while)

Agree with post, disagree with bolded part. They need no nerfing. Already weak enough, especially without mods (as noobs won't get most mods for a while)

Probably not, I just wasn't sure if the Latron did ludicrous damage now or not what with it's recent buff. I remember the Strun being a very balanced weapon too, but I haven't used that since Damage 1.0 so I don't know where it stands now either.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

-Braton

-Strun

-Latron

Could we extend that to secondaries/melees too?

Secondary

- Lato

- Sicarus

- Furis

Melee

- Skana

- Bo

- Ankyros

I'd change the Sicarus to Bronco, or Furis to Sicarus, for those who want to start off with a close-range secondary. Hard to call, though.

It could go:

- Lato

- Bronco

- Furis

I do like the idea of tossing the bronco in there. Now there's three uniquely functioning pistols, all of which have an akimbo upgrade. Hints of progression are great for keeping newbies

This means:

Lato will now have a blueprint, or the other two become credits purchased.

Aklato gets a bp no matter what

If Lato gets a bp, they must have similar/identical/balanced costs. Same goes for credits pricing.

Edited by WondahBoah

With 72 arrows only it is a bad idea.

Again I being yelling that we should give "Starter packages" like.

Assault package

Mk1 Braton

Lato

Skana

CQC package

Mk1 Sturn

Lato 
Skana

Stealth 

*insert noob bow / xbow here*

Lato

Skana

Sniper

Snipetron (yes bring it back dawgs)

Lato 

Skana

I don't know if giving them one of the newest weapons in the market is fair, but I agree that starting weapons are problematic.

1. There should not be a bad version of the Braton as a starting weapon.

2. Give new players a CHOICE between starting weapons. A choice between long range (Vulkar), Braton (general purpose), and some shotgun.

3. Maybe if stealth gets fixed, DE could throw in a choice between the Lato and a silent secondary weapon.

Yes! Take my +1.

• 1 month later...

I think it would be a good side choice to be honest, but there should be multiple starting weapons and gear to choose from.

Yeah I would have chosen the Latron if I was just starting out

I agree, however the question is that what types of weapons should be in there?

Already by looking at the examples given, i have my doubts people would look forward to anything but the shotgun because most of the time where battles are usually CQC or where alpha damage is the winner, the other weapon types won't be useful if they are middle ground.

The reason i would mention this is because given how people even look for guides on which weapons to pick most of the time, it becomes quite a wasted effort if no one were to pick the other weapon types if you get what i mean.

Then the question comes of whether those weapon types should still be inside because a minority uses it, and when it comes full circle, people who wish for it to stay inside would ask for changes or buffs to these starters to make them balance and "relevant" which is quite a hefty process to begin with.

The suggestion is great, the only issue is that should older weapons be used to fill up the weapon selection process or should they revamp all the weapons and include a new list of weapons? If older weapons are used it would immediately spark a wind of nerf and buff threads, while a new list of weapons would take time to be implemented but would be easier to balance.

Edited by Jacate

Yeah i dont think thats the right weapon, but we should have options like with frames.

Remove the MK1 from the game already.

Give new player the option to pick one of 3 and a little text to help picking it.

Braton - Full auto  

Burston - Burst fire

Latron - Single shot 

The Tutorial should also let you play with all 3 starter so picking one is clear.

Hell NO you wont make the Crossbow i waited for 4 weeks now a starting weapon. I agree, we need more variety, and ive brought this idea up a few times: Make MK-1 variants of various weapons like the Boltor, Burston or even Paris.