Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Anyone Else Digging On The Weird/ Ineffective Weapons?

(PSN)DevilOfMidnight

A lot of it depends on what else you're used to, and how much you mod it.

I find the most disappointing weapons to be the ones that are close to being good, but not quite.  Ones that are bad, well, you can see they are, and so you move on.  But ones where you can see the potential, and it just isn't quite there... then you really want to use them, but....  What makes it all the worse is that to find out if it is truly a keeper or not, you have to invest heavily, since the game tends to offer increasing returns rather than diminishing returns like you'd find in most games.

Anyway, Miter is fun, but it has a few issues.  Basically, it either needs to hit a bit harder and have a faster charge time, or else it needs its ammo type changed.  One way makes it a bit more of a Sniper, while the other better for spamming.  The way the projectiles bounce also seems a bit off.  They bounce rather steeply toward the ceiling, rather than at the angles you'd expect them to.

I've got mine 4 forma'd.  Run two different setups.  One is with Speed Trigger, Serration, Split Chamber, and 5 elemental mods (or 4 and an anti-faction one).  This is one doesn't hit as hard, but keeps the 100% accuracy and is used more for fully charged sniping shots, thus benefiting from the punchthrough and actually hitting harder per shot.  The other drops Speed Trigger and an elemental mod for Rifle Ammo Mutation (yes, it uses Rifle Ammo Mutation to make sniper ammo) and Heavy Caliber.  That trashes the accuracy down to 5.2 (somehow 100 reduced by 55% is 5.2), but allows me to merrily spam shots.

It does make me wish I had a Malignant Force.  I'm using High Voltage on it, and that and Split Chamber put me at 64% status rate.  Malignant Force would add another 15% to that, bringing it up to 79%.

I have done so to my recently levelled miter actually. As you have hypothesized, using those two mods together is an incredibly effective combination. The corrosive damage compensates for its weakness against armor, and the 79% status chance makes the slash proc and high slash damage really shine. If you can cut down on the lag time of the charge attack, miter becomes an incredibly viable weapon for most situations.

Edited by DarkSignal

I have done so to my recently levelled miter actually. As you have hypothesized, using those two mods together is an incredibly effective combination. The corrosive damage compensates for its weakness against armor, and the 79% status chance makes the slash proc and high slash damage really shine. If you can cut down on the lag time of the charge attack, miter becomes an incredibly viable weapon for most situations.

Yeah.  The status chance is wrong, by the way.  With a 60% (25% base + 2x 60% boost), and a 90% of an extra projectile, you'll get at least one proc 81.6% of the time, and two 32.4% of the time (which adds up to 114%, which is 60% * 1.9).  They're just taking 90% of the base amount, rather than properly calculating things or giving you the per projectile amount.  But alas, I don't have Malignant Force and prices for it are a bit on the high side.

Today, running some ODEs, I experimented with removing another elemental damage mod for Shred.  Having punchthrough on the base shot worked quite nice when spamming it against Infected.  Shred's 30% fire rate boost also made for faster charging, though obviously with a rank 10 Heavy Cal equipped, sniping was out of the picture.

Virtually all the weapons I use tend to be rather different from others. For general purpose combat, I usually tote around my 5 Forma Vandaltron, my Akbronco Prime, and my Dakra. I am currently working on a Supra (3 Forma so far), and am cooking an Ignis and Lanka. I don't really have anything too strong, like a Soma or Penta or anything, except for a 6 Forma Detron. I'm glad to know that someone else actually uses the Supra.

The Miter is okay, I guess it's just disappointing that:

1) It takes a lot of investment and mods just to make it decent and actually fun to use when you would think it would be a fun weapon from the get-go.

2) It has the potential to be so much more than it is. It's a gun that fires saws, and yet the best we got was a very slow and ineffective sniper.

As for the Ballistica, I don't know, I just didn't like it, which is actually strange for me since I actually like burst-fire guns and tend to like most charge weapons as well (even the aforementioned Miter is somewhat decent).

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Got Miter parts while farming for Trinity... that Systems BP just wouldn't drop.

Pros: ...uh. Punch-through?

Cons: it's buggy as hell. Bounces are unpredictable, shots don't seem to connect reliably, spam-fire speed winds up and down. Also, quite low damage.

As bad as most of the bows are, I'd still take any of them over Miter. And when Cernos is better than a sawblade-slinging death machine, it's time for the sad face.

Odd weapons that were fun: does the Glaive count? I really enjoyed it. Sold it in anticipation of Glaive Prime, but GP doesn't feel the same, and it had this hideous bug where it wouldn't retract properly in the arsenal view. Made my nose tighten up, got headaches, sold it in the end.

As bad as most of the bows are, I'd still take any of them over Miter. And when Cernos is better than a sawblade-slinging death machine, it's time for the sad face.

Bows are pretty good now, actually.  Especially Dread and Paris Prime.  The high crit rate helps them a bunch.  Base stats on Dread (being the slashing bow), for example, are 10/10/180, which is lower than the Miter's 12/12/225.  But it has that 50% crit rate for 2x damage, which Miter lacks.   Even the crappier market blueprint bows come in at 35% crit rate, for the same double damage.  The game overly rewards rewards critical head shots, doubling their damage again after applying headshot and regular critical damage bonuses.  That's what puts the Miter so far behind.  It is decent enough against trash mobs, but when facing the heavy, it can't do that 4x the damage on headshots.  Or 8.8x with a maxed Vital Sense.

Sadly, the bouncing blades doesn't really compensate for that.  Which is why I feel they need to decide what they want the weapon to be.  If it is a Sniper type, same as bows, it needs higher damage.  If it is a cool bouncing blades guns with a nifty charge feature, it needs a change in ammo type.

But for now, still great fun against Infested.

Edited by Axterix13

Okay, maybe I should qualify that. As bad as I am at bows, etc. The only bow I can really use with much proficiency is Dread, because it has a very flat trajectory and a relatively fast draw. Miter shares the flat trajectory, but lacks charging speed and yeah, lacks sadly in terms of crit. It does have a good status chance if I remember, but that doesn't seem as useful in terms of raw damage.

Plus all of the other design flaws still stand.

But weren't we talking about appreciating the odd weapons? :D

Got Miter parts while farming for Trinity... that Systems BP just wouldn't drop.

Pros: ...uh. Punch-through?

Cons: it's buggy as hell. Bounces are unpredictable, shots don't seem to connect reliably, spam-fire speed winds up and down. Also, quite low damage.

Odd weapons that were fun: does the Glaive count? I really enjoyed it. Sold it in anticipation of Glaive Prime, but GP doesn't feel the same, and it had this hideous bug where it wouldn't retract properly in the arsenal view. Made my nose tighten up, got headaches, sold it in the end.

I'm really looking forward to the Glaive/ Prime. I killed my login bonus to get the blueprints to pop. I'm at the point where I think I can be a little less of a wallet warrior after unlocking Mars and Salvage as a resource. And now that I have Thunderbolt, nothing stops my frames. I'm a rocket sniper.

bought the bp in the market.......when it first came out...........while back...........before your time here.........4 runs easy..............and naw twin gremmies are awesome dude. its like the nail gun from hell <3

Gremlins are a beast. It's like the evil brother of Akbolto.

I love miter. Only took 4 formas to make it a good weapon, it already has 1 polarity. Although vanilla miter is unusable-bad. Now, leveled, polarized and modded properly it's both a fast spam projectile weapon and a 1-hit kill weapon. Several things can 1-shot a Grineer napalm, but only miter cuts him in half doing so. At least up to lvl 40-45. But after that all weapons have trouble, except for a couple.

I really want to see the miter use the thunderbolt mod and have access to primed and charged chamber I think it would help its case alot more then rifle mods alone

Exploding blades is what it needs! That way it's finally the true Unreal Ripper it needs to be.

Been using Dual Cestras lately, they are sick OP as hell son!

rofl yeah right

At only 2 forma used they're pretty great though

I've been thinking about Cestra for awhile, paired alongside Synapse for a non-bullet build for curiosity. What's the major differences between single and double?

To the best of my knowlage, I have never seen another person use the kestral.

I use it all the time for solo missions, in multiplayer its useless since everyone has freaking pentas.

I've been thinking about Cestra for awhile, paired alongside Synapse for a non-bullet build for curiosity. What's the major differences between single and double?

Major difference is the huge 100 round magazine, 140 with Ice Storm. Dual also fires a little faster.

The common complaints I hear with weapons like these is that ammo is a problem and the wind up time is off-putting, but as usual those are exaggerations. At the beginning, yeah, they kinda suck, they chew through ammo simply because they do little damage so you have to shoot more. But now with 3 polarities, I can fit enough mods on the Cestras to spit 2-3 bullets per shot, make the wind up almost negligible, have a 140 mag, punchthrough at 1.8m, and deal like 500 damage per bullet. You only need to tap the trigger to kill most common enemies, making them ammo efficient.

I'll post a build like I did with my Lecta once I have another forma in it.