Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Epilepsy A Legal Issue

dashashou

I don't REALLY like how in video games they no longer have that warning sign about epilepsy and instead hide it in the ToS. I have epilespy and I have only had 2 seizures because of video games (this isn't one of them). Still though...companies are hiding so much BS in the ToS and EULA nowadays to avoid legal lawsuits and yet the majority of people don't read them.

Some video games aren't that bad at all...I only find FPS and fast paced games to cause real problems and this game desn't really bother me.

Beat Hazard has an epilepsy warning that you have to click through to start, though Beat Hazard is much more intense in its visual effects.

I'm not saying Warframe needs such a thing, but Beat Hazard also lets you cut the intensity of the effects down to 50% (or turn them up to 200%, if that's your jam).

Its covered in their Terms of service.

d.     A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF USERS MAY EXPERIENCE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN LIGHT PATTERNS OR BACKGROUNDS ON A COMPUTER SCREEN OR WHILE USING THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE. CERTAIN CONDITIONS MAY INDUCE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED EPILEPTIC SYMPTOMS EVEN IN USERS WHO HAVE NO HISTORY OF PRIOR SEIZURES OR EPILEPSY. IF YOU, OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY, HAVE AN EPILEPTIC CONDITION, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN PRIOR TO USING THE SERVICE. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE USE OF THE SERVICE AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE USING THE SERVICE: DIZZINESS, ALTERED VISION, EYE OR MUSCLE TWITCHES, LOSS OF AWARENESS, DISORIENTATION, ANY INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENT, OR CONVULSIONS.

"Website"? I'm hoping they just mean like preview videos/trailers they post here on the forums, otherwise I'd start getting afraid of Stalker jumpscares.

resorting to using medical conditions to try and remove features you dont like= fail

obviously SOMEONE didnt read their TOS

whats next, religious reasons?

I object on religious grounds that I'm not getting enough loot.  Great Greedimus the Grabby my celestial lord and Great Universal embodiment of "F**K you, got Mine"  teaches us that we must all get all the stuff.  It offends my religious sentiments that I am ever not getting all the stuff. DE pls Fix.

GO TEAM GREED Even Self-Interested Murderous Sociopaths can be spiritual.

Edited by Agent_of_Change

I object on religious grounds that I'm not getting enough loot.  Great Greedimus the Grabby my celestial lord and Great Universal embodiment of "F**K you, got Mine"  teaches us that we must all get all the stuff.  It offends my religious sentiments that I am ever not getting all the stuff. DE pls Fix.

GO TEAM GREED Even Self-Interested Murderous Sociopaths can be spiritual.

As sad as this is, its better that what the OP posted. At least greed can be dealt with/ignored, plus it comes with milk.

Yes the terms of service in pretty much all games cover this up. People who know that are suffering from epilepsy is specifically directed and given an advice to read the terms of service before proceeding. Usually these kind of effects are not an issue unless the player plays in dark which is discouraged multiple times by the doctor and the terms of service as or the player has played along but again, doctors usually make sure the patient knows about what to and what not to do in certain circumstances.

I believe many epileptics can play video games with no issues. Only photosensitive ones (those triggered by bright flashing lights) have issues with games. Even then it is often only certain games with bright flashing lights. The warnings (like beat hazard) are often meant for those types of epileptics.

I do think that with the recent updates DE needs to add a short in game warning. From other threads these new lights are even causing headaches for a lot of players and I would imagine could trigger photosensitive epileptics. 

As someone said most games cover epilepsy in the terms of service as a base protection so it can be hard for an epileptic to tell from this. However, games with a lot of bright flashing lights should place an in game warning as a more direct warning.

Edited by (PS4)Aeouin

Another sue happy poster. The down fall of any country has always been to many lawyers with sue happy knuckle head clients. Can't even breath on someone nowadays. The warning  about health issues playing games has been in the legal documents of game releases sense forever ago.

I get it though, life is pretty boring so creating trouble is always more interesting. 

Edited by Chazman80

If you have epilepsy you should avoid anything that can cause seizures. Or are you dumb enough to provoke them? Or are you American and dont know that flash and high concentration of fast changing colors on the screen can cause epileptic seizure?

Everything comes down to this: "If you have any disorder, you should avoid anything that might cause getting your disorder into worse state." If you have high blood pressure, you would avoid everything that might cause it to go up.

You might say, "But i might not know that this game has flash animations.", but you should use your brains if you have epilepsy. Everything on every screen can cause epileptic seizure, because moving pictures are basically flashes of light.

What does being American have to do with anything?

Its covered in their Terms of service.

d.     A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF USERS MAY EXPERIENCE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN LIGHT PATTERNS OR BACKGROUNDS ON A COMPUTER SCREEN OR WHILE USING THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE. CERTAIN CONDITIONS MAY INDUCE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED EPILEPTIC SYMPTOMS EVEN IN USERS WHO HAVE NO HISTORY OF PRIOR SEIZURES OR EPILEPSY. IF YOU, OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY, HAVE AN EPILEPTIC CONDITION, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN PRIOR TO USING THE SERVICE. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE USE OF THE SERVICE AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE USING THE SERVICE: DIZZINESS, ALTERED VISION, EYE OR MUSCLE TWITCHES, LOSS OF AWARENESS, DISORIENTATION, ANY INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENT, OR CONVULSIONS.

this should be the very first thing in the agreement and reminder on game startup, they defenitly dont want to harm someone by mistake, so reminder need to be given every startup and bump it up the agreement list.

this should be the very first thing in the agreement and reminder on game startup, they defenitly dont want to harm someone by mistake, so reminder need to be given every startup and bump it up the agreement list.

Seriously, though?

Do you also think that coffee needs to be labelled "hot" and that knives need to be labelled "sharp"?

It's kcufin' obvious that a video game, especially an action video game, is going to have dynamic screen lighting.

It's not like we're playing Princess Tea-Time Jigsaw Puzzle over here.

Edited by Knaimhe

Seriously, though?

Do you also think that coffee needs to be labelled "hot" and that knives need to be labelled "sharp"?

It's kcufin' obvious that a video game, especially an action video game, is going to have dynamic screen lighting.

It's not like we're playing Princess Tea-Time Jigsaw Puzzle over here.

Yeah well, I can spend less than 10 minutes to find coffee labeled hot and knives labeled sharp. It is a sad world filled with willfully ignorant people looking to find a way to not be responsible for their own choices.  But that is another issue entirely I suppose.

The key point is video games are called that for the reason that they are moving pictures made of light, it doesn't take a genius to suppose that caution should be applied when it comes to conditions such as epilepsy.

Yeah well, I can spend less than 10 minutes to find coffee labeled hot and knives labeled sharp.

Well sure, but Warframe is already "labelled" as epileptic-endangering.

There's absolutely no need to hassle everyone who already knows and has accepted this obvious, obvious fact at every startup, as "BloodHungryKitten" suggests.

Honestly with big BRIGHT flashes they should make the disclaimer far more obvious, nobody reads the ToS, but they are legally covered by that - fine. Every game has one, so unless elliptic people just don't play video games they need a way to distinguish 'Doesn't actually give you seizures but in the ToS just to cover themselves' from 'will likely give you seizures.' 

Surely, if they are going to have something THAT likely to induce a censure, they should make a VERY obvious disclaimer, for moral reasons.

Morality > Legality. 

Y u try to ruin a good game?

But seriously if it bothers you so much I suggest playing in a well lit room at least 4 to 5 feet from your screen. (Unlike most gamers, myself included, who play in a black hole 2 inches from the monitor.) That should solve your problem.