Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Retune *all* The Frames! (11/19: Wildfire)

Archwizard

27 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

eh, the minimum health 1 ends up eraing the risk of dying, so I don know if it truly is preferable. I mean, if you are invincible, does it matter if you have 764 health or just 1?

It matters in (the extremely rare) situations where it gets shut off without warning. If Hysteria goes away suddenly, the difference between 764 health and 1 health is quite substantial. 

Allow me to chime in on the topic Oberon.

Oberon is not trinity, I find it's always unfair to compare the 2 because they both heal. Trinity is a dedicated healer, Oberon is based of a paladin  which depending on which game you come from are either Healer/Warriors or Cleric/Warriors or a mix of both. I highly doubt Oberon is going to get a new skill like Excalibur. However it's very likely that he will receive something similar to Mag/Volt a heavy tocuh up on his skills.

Because at the core, his skills do work, but their effects are simply subpar to be useful.

Smite-I think it's fine in it's current state.

Hallowed Ground-The effect of this skill needs to be completely redone. It either should have an increase vertical and horizontal radius buff, or be changed to a passive AoE field that surrounds Oberon as he walks.

Enemies who stand within have their special abilities temporarily disabled. Eximus Auras, Knockdown skills and Energy drains are all cancelled as long at they stand within the field. Procs inflicted to enemies who lie within should have increased effectiveness . Blast procs have increased radius, duration based procs last longer.

Allies who stand within are empowered. In addition to having proc immunity, The Armour increase is a flat value instead of a percentage. If an ally and enemy stands within the hallowed ground at the same time, a portion of damage inflicted to them are transferred to all enemies. Example If you take 100 damage from a lancer shooting at you, you would instead take 70 and the 30 damage is transferred to enemies within Hallowed Ground

Hallowed Eruption- The Eruption uses both Hallowed Ground damage and damage that is inflicted to enemies as part of it's damage value.

Renewal- This isn't Blessing, it's unfair to even buff this to Blessing's level.  However the skill deserves some much needed love.

Allies now regenerate health at X hp/s for a set duration, this is in effect even at full health. On contact with an ally, Renewal will release a blinding light, stunning nearby enemies briefly as well as purging any procs on them at the time.

Allies who are downed during renewal effect will have their bleedout timer extender by +X seconds.

Phoenix Renewal- For increased energy drain, Oberon will revive downed allies. It works like normal revives, by filling up the revive meter. As allies are being revived Oberon suffers increase energy drain from renewal. Revived allies release a blinding flash, stunning nearby foes. Allies who are downed while under Renewal effect get the same effect as now.

9 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

It matters in (the extremely rare) situations where it gets shut off without warning. If Hysteria goes away suddenly, the difference between 764 health and 1 health is quite substantial. 

Than it'll just become more annoying, because Valkyr will just be all the more sensible to energy leeches and nullifiers. Personally, I don't like that as much as the "$&*&*#(%& damage" hysteria.

8 hours ago, Buzkyl said:

Oberon is not trinity, I find it's always unfair to compare the 2 because they both heal. Trinity is a dedicated healer, Oberon is based of a paladin  which depending on which game you come from are either Healer/Warriors or Cleric/Warriors or a mix of both. I highly doubt Oberon is going to get a new skill like Excalibur. However it's very likely that he will receive something similar to Mag/Volt a heavy tocuh up on his skills.

Because at the core, his skills do work, but their effects are simply subpar to be useful.

Hallowed Ground-The effect of this skill needs to be completely redone. It either should have an increase vertical and horizontal radius buff, or be changed to a passive AoE field that surrounds Oberon as he walks.

Enemies who stand within have their special abilities temporarily disabled. Eximus Auras, Knockdown skills and Energy drains are all cancelled as long at they stand within the field. Procs inflicted to enemies who lie within should have increased effectiveness . Blast procs have increased radius, duration based procs last longer.

Allies who stand within are empowered. In addition to having proc immunity, The Armour increase is a flat value instead of a percentage. If an ally and enemy stands within the hallowed ground at the same time, a portion of damage inflicted to them are transferred to all enemies. Example If you take 100 damage from a lancer shooting at you, you would instead take 70 and the 30 damage is transferred to enemies within Hallowed Ground

Hallowed Eruption- The Eruption uses both Hallowed Ground damage and damage that is inflicted to enemies as part of it's damage value.

Renewal- This isn't Blessing, it's unfair to even buff this to Blessing's level.  However the skill deserves some much needed love.

Allies now regenerate health at X hp/s for a set duration, this is in effect even at full health. On contact with an ally, Renewal will release a blinding light, stunning nearby enemies briefly as well as purging any procs on them at the time.

Allies who are downed during renewal effect will have their bleedout timer extender by +X seconds.

Phoenix Renewal- For increased energy drain, Oberon will revive downed allies. It works like normal revives, by filling up the revive meter. As allies are being revived Oberon suffers increase energy drain from renewal. Revived allies release a blinding flash, stunning nearby foes. Allies who are downed while under Renewal effect get the same effect as now.

I like this. Simple, but to the point.

Dont forget a buff on HG duration.

I would like to offer a comment I left on another thread for Oberon's passive:

On 5/9/2016 at 1:11 AM, RunningTree3 said:

Oberon's deluxe skin collection includes the Ack & Brunt, which recently received a new mod in Operation Rathuum for team defense. If there is to be a weapon class that most suits Oberon, it would be the Sword & Shield-- a balance of offense and defense. And I would not be surprised if Oberon was given some sort of Blocking bonus as his passive.

I do not believe it needs to be overthought: Oberon gains an additive 10% increased damage reduction from melee blocking. For example, blocking with Sword & Shield, one of the more effective weapon classes for blocking, equates to a 95% damage reduction up from 85% (stats drawn from wiki). Like existing passives, it is indeed situational and up to the player whether or not to take advantage of it.

11 hours ago, Buzkyl said:

Agreed. Phoenix renewal isn't That bad right now, yeah it's situational and 90 sec cool down is pretty long. Not to mention it takes up a mod slot and requires negative duration modding and I've heard it breaks wukongs defy. Okay maybe its really bad but its a nice idea. Maybe give a significant armor boost for the duration of the cool down.

On 5/15/2016 at 4:02 PM, Buzkyl said:

-snip-

Just a bit worried that that Hallowed Ground rework is a bit much for him - presently half the point of the rework is to streamline his mechanics to create room for all of these new effects, simplifying them to the point where you could convey all of them at once in a few seconds each on a Profile video.

On 5/16/2016 at 1:30 AM, RunningTree3 said:

I would like to offer a comment I left on another thread for Oberon's passive:

I do not believe it needs to be overthought: Oberon gains an additive 10% increased damage reduction from melee blocking. For example, blocking with Sword & Shield, one of the more effective weapon classes for blocking, equates to a 95% damage reduction up from 85% (stats drawn from wiki). Like existing passives, it is indeed situational and up to the player whether or not to take advantage of it.

It's a functional alternative, I just think it's a bit... niche. An additive 10% DR isn't even going to be noticed most of the time, and it's an effect limited to melee (which unlike Excalibur's, he doesn't bring with him at all times).

Still... it's a better thought than either one they mentioned on the devstream. May list it in the OP anyway.

On 5/15/2016 at 3:35 AM, Archwizard said:

I spotted a rather inspirational old post recovered by Reddit today. I don't plan on lifting anything directly, but it has gotten me thinking.

Lately Reddit has been flooded with a lot of Oberon reworks, and I've been responding to several of them; I've felt they were all inadequate, simply adding more onto his kit to make it more complicated, without necessarily making him better at his job.

Ultimately, Oberon is supposed to be a Paladin... but due to the broad implications of this name, nobody's really gotten a clear image of what that means. I'm not ashamed to admit I haven't either.

When I originally suggested giving him things like an armor boost on his 2 and Puncture procs on his 1, the idea was that he would make up for his weaker healing than other healers by being a more proactive mitigator. However, I overestimated the maximum benefits of stacking such effects - or, perhaps, the devs overestimated what he received. Either way, it's universally agreed that what he received wasn't enough.

So. Starting over, and considering anew:

• Passive: Oberon releases a blinding flash whenever his shields are broken.

I like the passive. I think I actually suggested something similar in another thread where Oberon was the hot topic of the thread, and I can definitely see supporting it here as well. Not only does it thematically fit and make sense, but it is also massively useful passive, and quite an interesting enough as well. Of course I would imagine that when you mean this passive, it would either have a cooldown or only activate after shields are 50%-100% recharged? It would be hard to imagine him getting flashbangs all the time.

4 hours ago, Archwizard said:

Just a bit worried that that Hallowed Ground rework is a bit much for him - presently half the point of the rework is to streamline his mechanics to create room for all of these new effects, simplifying them to the point where you could convey all of them at once in a few seconds each on a Profile video.

As far as i know there's no reason why his abilities can't have a level of complexity to them. Profile videos show the ability on the surface, there is no need to explain ability in detail.

It's not that difficult to even compress my idea into a dialogue for the Lotus to say

Hallowed Ground:Allies standing within are granted bonus armor and are  immune to status effects, a portion damage taken while standing withing are transferred to enemies caught in Hallowed ground. Enemies caught within take increase effects from status effects as well as lose special abilities.

Renewal-Oberon releases orbs of energy that travel towards allies. On contact they blind nearby enemies while purging allies of status effects as well as granted them increased health regeneration for a set time. Fallen allies will have their bleedtout timer extended Renewal.

Unless there's real reason too, DE isn't gonna toss a skill aside to create a new on. BA is still present on Mag, it's just called magnetized. I'm pretty certain when oberon is revisited, HG and Renewal will still remain, i believe the skills at their core and concept still work and can be used, but their effects just need to be adjusted to better fit within the game

1 hour ago, Buzkyl said:

As far as i know there's no reason why his abilities can't have a level of complexity to them. Profile videos show the ability on the surface, there is no need to explain ability in detail.

You're right that there's no rule... it's just a good practice.

Thing is, for a lot of people, the Profile video or the Codex entry are the only resources they actually use to understand what the frame does. There's a wiki, sure, but it's surprisingly common to have to tell people to give it a look. For instance, your line that "Enemies take increased effects from status effects as well as lose special abilities" has a lot of special cases to it, which requires a look at the wiki to understand even the meaning of.

Power should feel organic, and be easy to process at face-value. Their complexities should come from their interaction with other effects, without overloading the ability at all - something that causes a light bulb to go off in the player's head once they step on the battlefield. Just look at Loki: All of his abilities are simple to understand and do exactly what they say on the tin, but gain extra levels of effectiveness when used in conjunction.

Don't get me wrong, your idea for Hallowed Ground is actually along the lines of the last suggestion I wrote for it prior to the Oberon rework in the OP... but I still had to subtract something to justify the power level of the effect. Presently you're asking for an ability with 6 different effects attached to it.

4 hours ago, BETAOPTICS said:

Of course I would imagine that when you mean this passive, it would either have a cooldown or only activate after shields are 50%-100% recharged? It would be hard to imagine him getting flashbangs all the time.

Addressed. 

Edited by Archwizard

2 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Presently you're asking for an ability with 6 different effects attached to it.

*shrugs*

it's not even exclusive to Warframe to having facets of the game not be immediately obvious. and having them, as long as they're still balanced, can certainly be 'why not' features for people that are willing to focus and get the experience.

indirectly related, being things like what From Software likes doing, despite it being totally 'against the man' and against the usual 'rules of a business'. where significant game content and game features are present that most Customers will never even see. a nuts idea monetarily, yet somehow it's paying off really big.

basically i don't see it as awful as long as the more complex relations aren't the fundamentals of the Ability(ies), but extra features for the long term. for the 'hardcore' Players that'll be around for thousands of hours and sometime down the road will be looking to explore some more stuff. 

1 hour ago, Archwizard said:

You're right that there's no rule... it's just a good practice.

Thing is, for a lot of people, the Profile video or the Codex entry are the only resources they actually use to understand what the frame does. There's a wiki, sure, but it's surprisingly common to have to tell people to give it a look. For instance, your line that "Enemies take increased effects from status effects as well as lose special abilities" has a lot of special cases to it, which requires a look at the wiki to understand even the meaning of.

Power should feel organic, and be easy to process at face-value. Their complexities should come from their interaction with other effects, without overloading the ability at all - something that causes a light bulb to go off in the player's head once they step on the battlefield. Just look at Loki: All of his abilities are simple to understand and do exactly what they say on the tin, but gain extra levels of effectiveness when used in conjunction.

Don't get me wrong, your idea for Hallowed Ground is actually along the lines of the last suggestion I wrote for it prior to the Oberon rework in the OP... but I still had to subtract something to justify the power level of the effect. Presently you're asking for an ability with 6 different effects attached to it.

You will never understand a frame better than playing it. You can't be using Codex and Profile video as your only measure of gauging a frame. They only give you an essence of the frame. Example the profile video for Exalibur says exalted blade is affected by melee mods, however it is unaffected by syndicate melee mods as well as glaive melee mods. A player has to view the wiki to see that information as it won't be available ingame. If you want to know what a skill does in it's entirety, the ability menu gives you almost all the numbers related to the skill. My point was merely how the skill can be presented verbally.

However if the arguement is that that the skil has too many front-loaded effects, that can easily be solved by moving some of the effects to when they're combine with other skills. Example the bonus Armour from HG can be in place when the target is under renewal. That leaves only the damage transference and the status affliction buff and debuff on the base HG.

I haven't even touched on possibly synergies within the skills as that is another can of worms.

On 5/18/2016 at 5:06 PM, taiiat said:

it's not even exclusive to Warframe to having facets of the game not be immediately obvious.

Since when have we ever taken the "if they're already doing it, no problem" stance?

You know why Loki was removed from the starter lineup? Because getting mileage out of him required both mods, and understanding interactions that weren't immediately obvious, meaning you already needed experience with the game - two things which, of course, new players don't have. More people have quit playing their first week because they picked Loki (and got hung up over an inability to use his powers correctly), than over any other frame.
"My Decoy isn't even a meat shield!" "Why doesn't Radial Disarm work on Butchers?" "Switch Teleport's useless when I can copter just as fast." "I'm Invisible but guys are still shooting at me!"
In this case, Oberon's no starter, but he drops from Eximus units. He's the one frame we can practically guarantee everyone has without trying.

There's a fine line between "not immediately obvious" and "I don't see the value of this, I can't play this". The value should be obvious, the complexity and scalability should come from interactions. If we're striving for every frame to be equally fun and viable as the others (just to different audiences), it's a serious consideration.

On 5/18/2016 at 6:38 PM, Buzkyl said:

However if the arguement is that that the skil has too many front-loaded effects, that can easily be solved by moving some of the effects to when they're combine with other skills. Example the bonus Armour from HG can be in place when the target is under renewal.

Or just shift its primary supportive functions to his main supportive skill and convert it fully into an offensive tool, since it's an effect that requires any recipient to sit still and we already have Frost. Course then we'd have to worry about giving it CC too to keep enemies in the field so they can actually receive the damage.

It's a whole can of worms why people aren't fans of HG, since it tries to be more than a chokepoint defense skill despite taking the form of a chokepoint defense skill. Hence scrapping it.

Edited by Archwizard

2 hours ago, Archwizard said:

There's a fine line between "not immediately obvious" and "I don't see the value of this, I can't play this". The value should be obvious, the complexity and scalability should come from interactions. If we're striving for every frame to be equally fun and viable as the others (just to different audiences), it's a serious consideration.

there's nothing awful about all Abilities having direct uses, indirect uses, and interactions when mixed.

the direct uses make using the Warframe at a basic level easy, and the two different types of complex interactions and uses spiderweb the Players' interest as they play longer and get more interested in such things.

On 5/11/2016 at 4:00 PM, Archwizard said:

Looks like they heard ya. EW just got an augment to have allies retain its effects after leaving the radius.

Today also included improvements to and an augment for Oberon's Renewal; I'm going to be a little busy the next couple days, but if anybody has any feedback on whether this made Renewal less annoying, I'd certainly like to hear it.

this is just stupid, its hard enough to make chroma a viable frame without adding a band-aid mod. shows they can easily edit the skills effects but just aren't willing to edit the skill itself.

Volt/Mag reworks and everyone's new passives are out tomorrow this week.

I'm not hopeful for Limbo, Oberon, Chroma or Nyx.

On 5/19/2016 at 6:01 PM, UndeadGunman said:

this is just stupid, its hard enough to make chroma a viable frame without adding a band-aid mod. shows they can easily edit the skills effects but just aren't willing to edit the skill itself.

... Last I checked, Chroma was already a pretty viable frame. Yes, Spectral Scream leaves much to be desired, but he has phenomenal scalability between Vex Armor and Elemental Ward.

Edited by Archwizard

38 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Volt/Mag reworks and everyone's new passives are out tomorrow.

I'm not hopeful for Limbo, Oberon, Chroma or Nyx.

... Last I checked, Chroma was already a pretty viable frame. Yes, Spectral Scream leaves much to be desired, but he has phenomenal scalability between Vex Armor and Elemental Ward.

yes. Chroma is arguably a tank as good or even better than valkyr. Vex armor is both useful and interesting, effigy isn't terrible, and elemental ward is not awful either. 

3 minutes ago, tnccs215 said:

yes. Chroma is arguably a tank as good or even better than valkyr. Vex armor is both useful and interesting, effigy isn't terrible, and elemental ward is not awful either. 

But he has one augment that flat out sucks (Afterburn), another that is pretty much unusable because of its minuscule range (Vexing Retaliation), and a third that should have been part of the ability from day one (Everlasting Ward). He is extremely viable, but him and especially his augments need a bit of a tune up. 

49 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

absolutely, he does his personal job of being a brick wall quite well.

the Co-Op aspects of the Warframe, which require ridiculous investment to get benefit out of, are what need help, and a Mod Slot sacrifice isn't really helping that problem.

For Hysteria, I had an interesting thought: Make the damage per second affected by both armor and power strength.

This means Valkyr can always get mileage out of health/armor mods regardless of the build she’s using, and creates an interesting dichotomy of builds for Hysteria: Low-strength Valks that tank damage but can’t dish it so well, and high-strength Valks that wreck everything but need to stay in combat to stay alive if they've got health drain going.

Also, what happens when there’s damage stacked up when Hysteria deactivates? Does she just ignore all that damage? Does it all hit at once? Does it continue draining her?

12 minutes ago, ChronoEclipse said:

Also, what happens when there’s damage stacked up when Hysteria deactivates? Does she just ignore all that damage? Does it all hit at once? Does it continue draining her?

well, it's supposed to Damage you, but you take uh... i think it was like, 5% of the tallied Damage.
oh, Article says 25% of it, as Impact Damage.

but you only take it if Enemies are withing the 'Aura' from Hysteria (so Enemies highlighted by it), otherwise you take none.
it's basically irrelevant unless you stand near a group of Enemies with a Nullifier (with high Power Range) and let them wail on your for a minute or two and then walk inside the Nullifier Shield. or you run out of Energy in the middle of a group of very high Level Enemies i guess, but that's still basically impossible.

forget all of those words, the easiest description is "it does nothing".

anyways, are you saying that, higher Armor and higher Power Strength makes Valkyr take more constant Damage per second (if the Ability made you take constant Damage)?
perhaps just higher Power Strength making you take it more quickly (and Armor working as expected)?

56 minutes ago, taiiat said:

forget all of those words, the easiest description is “it does nothing”.

I know it does nothing in the current iteration.

I was asking about how it should work in the one we're discussing.

57 minutes ago, taiiat said:

perhaps just higher Power Strength making you take it more quickly (and Armor working as expected)?

This is exactly what I was saying. Power Strength boosts the damage/second, Armor reduces it.

1 minute ago, ChronoEclipse said:

I was asking about how it should work in the one we're discussing.

This is exactly what I was saying. Power Strength boosts the damage/second, Armor reduces it.

oh, i'm dumb. a lot of topics go through here over wide time frames, i forgot that it got brought up again.

okey, got it. sounds interesting fundamentally though i do worry about that you can't increase Power Strength for the other Abilities separately, so not to sound the way it is going to sound, but then i'm kind've being indirectly punished for increasing the buff/debuffs from Warcry and strengthening the knockback/CC time on Paralysis/Prolonged Paralysis.
but that's not the fault of that theoretical feature really... *shrugs*

My response to the latest Dev Workshop; it got a bit buried there. While I was writing it, I had some thoughts about Blessing.

What if it was a heal-over-time effect?
Well of Life could then receive focus as Trinity's burst-healing effect, removing the overlap. So why not?

The obvious answer these days is because Renewal is a heal-over-time, of course, so the two effects would overlap. But the way the OP has it written up, Renewal's more of a toggled aura around Oberon - so there's room for Blessing to transmit its benefits over a longer range, with a set duration.
The big issue of Blessing compared to other healing effects is that it's an instantaneous full-heal; if we take that "instantaneous" bit away, the only issue is the mitigation, which could be dealt with on its own.
Presently, whether or not we remove the mitigation scaling completely (perhaps have it diminish over time like Metamorphosis?), I had an alternative consideration: Trinity's lovely new passive. It actually becomes more fitting for Trinity to have the anti-bleedout mechanic presently on Renewal than it does for Oberon, especially since the unlimited range has been removed from his in the rewrite. It's a perfect bonus for what is intended to be a reactionary effect: cast it, if its gimped healing can't save them immediately then you bought yourself time to save them later. In Oberon's case, Renewal could just drop the bleedout buff for an armor bonus in its radius, to completely integrate Hallowed Ground.

Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Thoughts?

I think what you've posted there is all pretty fair and reasonable.

However, I still like my idea for Blessing better. Reposting for convenience:

Spoiler

Blessing: As now, instant 80% heal of HP and shields, scaling with Power Strength. All (actual, not potential) healed HP and shields is put in a “buffer” for Trinity, and is displayed for her in much the same way as Mend or Maim’s accumulation is. However, the heal only applies to allies within a base range of 20 meters.
Blessing provides a Quick Thinking-style effect for the whole squad based only on the HP healed by the ability, starting at 5 HP so it takes over before normal QT does.
This effect does not create the standard QT stagger under any circumstances.
This effect drains only from Blessing’s “buffer,” with each point equaling 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3 health. (scales with Power Strength)
Optional synergy with Well of Life: all healing done by Well of Life during Blessing is added to the QT buffer.