Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Defines The Orokin And What (Rougly) Did They Look Like

SilentMobius

This is a direct link into livestream 10 that VegetableBasket provided in his profile. It's used to indicate the canonicity of DS (Though really it only speaks about ideas from Dark Sector and specifically the person Hayden Tenno.)

However than's not what I'd like to talk about, I'd like to talk about the Orokin.

What do we really know about the Orokin:

1. They controlled their technology such that after the fall humanity could not replicate or even use (in some cases) their technology.

2. Their tech seems to revolve around various types of Technocyte material and overwhelmingly "forma" a gold-coloured, shape-changing, energy-shaping metal

3. They ruled over some form of humanity, during the Orokin Era.

4. The Tenno killed at least some of them according to the stalker and blood was shed.

5. The Grineer and the Corpus do not call themselves Orokin currently.

6. Steve confirmed in Livestream 5 Orokin is pronounced Oro-Kin Oro = Gold, kin = kin (aka people)

7. The Stalker describes as least some of them as "Our cold and gold emperors"

8. Most of the Tech we see of theirs is humanoid-scaled and shaped

So, going back to livestream 10 talking about dark sector, where _in that game_ the technocyte virus altered and deformed living beings, converting the surface of their flesh into a "living metal" Almost all of the creatures you fight are covered in that living metal, all the way up to Nemesis who can _at will_ sheath herself in something that looks like a fully organic Warframe (Much too large for her skeletal system and masculine-formed) did not seem to be suffering from the same progressive coating that Hayden was suffering from but was piloting a Warframe prototype bearing the Lotus symbol ( http://i.imgur.com/H8jKE3o.png ) the same as the Armor that Hayden found _and_ the same as the Lasrian Black Market that we are refered to by Yugo, an Agent of the Agency. Given that Mezner worked for the "Agency Futurist Enclave" before falling to the Virus. It is not much of a stretch to suggest that the Lotus was a symbol that the Agency used in that era.

Now, consider this conversation about the "Dark Sector sequel" (not Warframe per se, just what they were thinking about after DS)

Warframe takes place waaay beyond that timeframe. Ridiculously after, If you can imagine something like that, something that integrates itself with the body or could be re-purposed as technology this idea of metal that is also alive and changeable and so on, and the way it channels energy, this is deja vu, but we talked about, when we talked about a sequel ages ago we were talking about taking a big leap forward in time and saying "what were the societal repercussions of this idea"

The "societal repercussions"? Well if that metal were refined and that refinement turned it gold then you might have a technology that allows you to augment and even replace the physical form with living-gold. Certainly if the Orokin use of the material followed the process in Dark Sector you could see beings who have infected themselves with a modified version of this virus being completely covered in a living gold skin. And in the same way that the devices in Dark Sector (E.G Glaive) only responded to an infected person, perhaps The Orokin could ensure that all their critical technology only worked for them. Much in the same way that Warframes only work for the Tenno.

tl;dr

I think that forma is a tech evolution of the Dark Sector "living metal" and the Orokin were an elite group of humans that were sheathed in a living metal gold skin and near-complete control of distribution of their technology. This would fit the aesthetic and the _otherness_ of the Orokin while keeping them tied to humanity and existing lore, it also defines why only portions of their tech is usable by post-Orokin Humanity. It also explains why Orokin facilities look so ... opulent, not alien at all but simply like a temple or exclusive day spa, that is the sort of design that an elite few ancients humans might use.

And it would mean they could look _really_ cool while being neither robots, mundane humans nor aliens

I throw this idea open to the floor for your comments and criticism.

Edited by SilentMobius

It... it just doesn't make any sense... the amount of gold they would need for this is immense.

Oh hey, someone using common sense and actually taking things into account when discussing lore...

I take account of everything. 

Whai do you insult me Q_Q

Edited by MegaSnail

Now... this is just what I heard... but I heard the Orokin were a mystical race that lived together in harmony and friendship and then some big monster showed up to try and destroy them, and it did, but not before it was sealed away in stone. And thus the power of Tenno and friendship saved the universe from falling further into chaos.

Here, let me pull up a copy of some archival footage of these magnificent beings.

mlp-warframe.png

Further proof that the Orokin are at least human shaped is the Imperator Syndana, which was worn by high-ranking Orokin officials. Not the biggest element but we can assume they wore ninja scarf things.

In the relations between Tenno and Orokin, the Tenno were not Orokin but they most definitely served them. Did they do so willingly? Was it their choice? What drove them over the edge? Some of the reasons why people think the Orokin made the new wave technocyte is because 1: Tenno were forced to kill other infested Tenno (as evidenced by the Ether Blade codex) which could have led them to 2: become hateful of the Orokin because of the damage they have caused. Perhaps the Tenno decided (or Lotus decided, if she existed back then) that the Orokin ultimately detrimental to the "balance" of the system (which Lotus is so obsessed with).

These are just theories but they are sensible, at least to me.

• 3 months later...

The Tenno are Orokin, but they are twisted by the void

"The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses. The war was over unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend.
Excalibur was the first."
Edited by raider22

Now... this is just what I heard... but I heard the Orokin were a mystical race that lived together in harmony and friendship and then some big monster showed up to try and destroy them, and it did, but not before it was sealed away in stone. And thus the power of Tenno and friendship saved the universe from falling further into chaos.

Here, let me pull up a copy of some archival footage of these magnificent beings.

mlp-warframe.png

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_st

mlp-warframe.png

i didnt see this comming, and i came here cause of fimfiction XD

Further proof that the Orokin are at least human shaped is the Imperator Syndana, which was worn by high-ranking Orokin officials. Not the biggest element but we can assume they wore ninja scarf things.

In the relations between Tenno and Orokin, the Tenno were not Orokin but they most definitely served them. Did they do so willingly? Was it their choice? What drove them over the edge? Some of the reasons why people think the Orokin made the new wave technocyte is because 1: Tenno were forced to kill other infested Tenno (as evidenced by the Ether Blade codex) which could have led them to 2: become hateful of the Orokin because of the damage they have caused. Perhaps the Tenno decided (or Lotus decided, if she existed back then) that the Orokin ultimately detrimental to the "balance" of the system (which Lotus is so obsessed with).

These are just theories but they are sensible, at least to me.

Ether Blade was used to get the infestation out of Tenno.

Tenno couldn't be infected by the infested, since they already were infected by the technocyte, but it still hurt them. Thus they used the Ether Blade to remove it.

From other lore entries, the Tenno took out the Orokin for throwing them into the void.

Assuming Forma takes different shapes does make sense, specially for its name.

As to why Tenno rebelled against the Orokin themselves, it feels pretty much self-explanatory from both stalker and ember prime codex entries and i quote:

"Cold and gold emperors

It really gives an reason to why they were silenced (although still theories), they were tyrants, they were on contrast to the sentinels (assuming again), cold.

However i don't believe it was their nature to be cold.

Edited by akkerusia

Tenno couldn't be infected by the infested, since they already were infected by the technocyte, but it still hurt them. Thus they used the Ether Blade to remove it.

From other lore entries, the Tenno took out the Orokin for throwing them into the void.

Fast and precise. The Ether Sword cuts so cleanly that it was considered by the Tenno to be a more humane weapon for 'cleansing' infested allies. Capable of hitting multiple targets. -Dual Ethers Description.

By 'cleansing' they actually mean killing infested allies, not removing the infection, as you cannot remove the infestation from the flesh quicker than it spreads.

Edit: sorry about the black text, copied from the wiki and trying to fix it now.

Edit 2: Fixed.
Edited by SchrodingersKitteh

Fast and precise. The Ether Sword cuts so cleanly that it was considered by the Tenno to be a more humane weapon for 'cleansing' infested allies. Capable of hitting multiple targets. -Dual Ethers Description.

By 'cleansing' they actually mean killing infested allies, not removing the infection, as you cannot remove the infestation from the flesh quicker than it spreads.

Edit: sorry about the black text, copied from the wiki and trying to fix it now.

Edit 2: Fixed.

It's really likely that the allies were not Tenno, since we know from Mag Prime's lore entry that the Orokin had "zero tech" soldiers. Though it could be the Tenno for all we know, so don't take my word on it.

Orokin. Living Gold Alien Robots reminiscent of the Borg or ants. Sentients. Advanced humans who used orokin technology to fight them. Tenno.twisted kids retrned from the void transformed into warriors by the Orokin who eventually killed the Orokin as directed by the Lotus (MOST LIKELY A SENTIENT). Stalker. A hater. My ability to abuse grammar intensifies. Lore unlocked. Infested...result of the Technocyte Virus (Better known as CORDYCEPS PRIME) created most likely by the Orokin to fight the Sentients. There you have it. Remember where you heard it first.  

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

mlp-warframe.png

No.  No, no, no.  Go away.  

mlp-warframe.png

bjfV74g.gif

mlp-warframe.png

Sneak peek. Kubrows prime ^^^

• 2 months later...

cold and gold.. i think this refers more to their lack of compassion and wealth. i would assume that the orokin people were just humans and the people in the orokin govt were a select few of evil rich jerks. there is really nothing that implies the orokin werent human and fleshy. the technocyte virus imo was what is used to make and bond warframes to their hosts. gold is a great conductor. i dont think that forma has anything to do with the physicality of frames tenno or orokin people.  i would think orokin catalysts would be more lore related. its not called orokin forma. 

imagination land 

Interesting theory.

I'd like to throw in that it's also noticable that the Infested from Warframe have little in common with the Infested in Dark Sector, beyond being a corrupting organism that is recombining living beings into different forms.

However beyond it's basic nature the Infested in Warframe turn everything into random fleshy/soft shapes, while the Infested in Dark Sector were forming things into clear shapes with hard metal skin.

The interesting contrast is also that since recently the Warframe Infestation can also infested and reform mechanic beings (Moas, Ospreys, ENTIRE SHIPS!!!). These new beings are fleshy but retain the function of their mechanic original form.

This actualy makes the Warframe infestation the complete opposite of the Dark Sector infestation.

However if the Orokin indeed made free use of the Technocyte for most of their technology, it would make sense that they couldn't use that version to fight the Sentients. Since they were allready shrugging off everything the Orokin threw at them.

So perhaps the Orokin tried to go the opposite direction and created a Technocyte strain that turned everything into flesh and combat forms to fight the Sentients, with something that has not yet been tested against them.

If the Sentients were using normal technology, the reversed Technocyte could infect both their ships and their soldiers, creating an enemy within. Perhaps this actualy stopped the Sentients long enough for the Orokin to create the Tenno.

It would also throw a new light on Lephantis comment about Infested and Tenno being related.

How I interpreted "Cold and Gold Emperor" is that the Orokin had Metallic Skin with flesh inside. It kind of sounded to me that they are Trans-humans who perfected the art of Biological Augmentation. I think they don't emit too much heat from their bodies compared to other Humanoids.

It... it just doesn't make any sense... the amount of gold they would need for this is immense.

Have you -seen- an orokin void mission? How much gold and embellishment is on just about everything you see. And it's not like they just had the earth to work with. Space-travelling hedonistic gold farmers!