Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Water Frame (Hydroid) Hype And Anticipation Megathread

PluralSlice

This thread is stupid. Update 13 is only hours away, are people are still raving about Hydroids name? Let's come to the conclusion that a majority of you hate it, and want a change. And the other majority love it and want it to stay.

Are we done?

This thread is stupid. Update 13 is only hours away, are people are still raving about Hydroids name? Let's come to the conclusion that a majority of you hate it, and want a change. And the other majority love it and want it to stay.

Are we done?

There are two opposing ideas on the internet. It'll NEVER be done.

EDIT: And really, only hours? Is it shipping today?

Edited by Morec0

Are we done?

Sounds like you're saying people don't have a right to a opinion or voice their opinion. 

I'm sure it'll eventually grow on people anyways.

Are we done?

There can't be two majorities. The name must go.

There will always be 2 types of people...

- XBox One vs. PS4

- Mac vs. PC

- iPhone vs Androids

- Hydroid vs. Davy Jones

What about shotgun vs. chainsaw vs. tomahawk ?

Edited by Morec0

There will always be 2 types of people...

- XBox One vs. PS4

- Mac vs. PC

- iPhone vs Androids

- Hydroid vs. Davy Jones

And where does Rock, Paper, Scissors (Lizard, Spock) come into it?  =P

Hydroid does sound a bit...odd.  I mean it has "Driod" right there in it!  Ick.  (Can we force them to change it by reporting this to Lucas Film?  <.<)

I'd think "Nami" (japanese for 'wave', as far as I've been told) would be a great name for it.  Or Deluge.  Always liked that word ever since my brother got the Transformer of the same name so many years ago.  Yeah, I'd vote for Deluge.  :nod:

Not sure if someone else has said this, but I'd love to point out something that'd work a bit better for "Hydroid".

His powers.

Quote from the Reddit Livestream #26 sub:

1. Tempest Barrage - Long ranged cannon barrage, orbital artillery strike

2. Tidal Surge - Turn into a tidal wave, boost forward, pushes AI down and together with DoT. Crowd control

3. Undertow - Craziest power: turn into a puddle! Cannot be detected by AI as puddle. If enemy walks over puddle, you can absorb them into the puddle and do DoT!

4. Deep Dark Sea - Tentacles! RELEASE THE KRAKEN! Grab and fling AI once deployed from the ground.

Just from personal opinion, the only two powers I see that COULD actually work for Hydroid are Tidal Surge and Undertow. They both fall under the lines of water manipulation and transformation, which could be legitimate and, for lack of better term, lore friendly for Hydroid.

I understand that a lot of people love the pirate concept for a water warframe. I'm not opposed to a pirate theme, but when it concerns water blasts that don't come from the Warframe itself (as seen in Scott's gameplay demo), and random tentacles being created from nothing (again, take a look at Scott's gameplay demo), it doesn't really fit what a Warframe is capable of.

I'm only saying this because, from my understanding, Warframes are what give the Tenno their unique abilities. They all have their own technology that allows for the control of an element of some type, not a lifestyle or job. I haven't seen a Warframe as of yet that doesn't have an unrealistic manipulation ability; even the most recent Warframes that don't concern physical elements.

Valkyr's abilities are based on the manipulation of rage, which looks like it was altered based on the Corpus torture. Her altered Warframe allows for her built up rage to be manifested. I assume other Warframes, given the time to develop, could utilize various emotions as well.

Oberon's abilities actually still confuse me. I assume they stem from holy power manipulation, but I'd like some clarification. Seeing as there is no evident religion in the DarkSector universe, I'm not seeing a holy power working. Paladin's use holy power if I'm correct. Regardless of what it is, the power works in both healing and offense.

Back to Hydroid...

His first power, Tempest Barrage, could work better if it actually came from the Warframe and not some pirate ship concept (I believe thats what I heard Scott mention).

I see no reason to change Tidal Surge. That power on its own looks very realistic when concerning the water manipulation ability of a Warframe, and could be EXTREMELY useful in missions. I could personally see a leveled up Tidal Surge having a wider spread when surging forward, knocking more enemies out of the way should they be there.

Undertow, the most controversial power from the looks of it, could use revision. I've never met anyone playing Warframe that sits still for a long time like Undertow would call for, as it immobilizes you. Without a better stealth system, the previewed ability wouldn't serve its purpose well, and I could see a Sentinel actually compromising the Warframe's position if equipped with with its usual automatic attack mod. Sure, it sucks enemies in and deals DoT, but I'll say it again: Nobody sits still for that long. If the ability is undergoing revision, I could recommend a time limit on how long you'd be allowed to remain a puddle, as well as a recharge and MOVEMENT. Allow for the puddle to move, but slower than normal speeds. It's supposed to be there for stealth, right?

EDIT: If a Loki is present, Undertow will become a game changer. For example, if a Hydroid is right smack in the middle of a large group of enemies, Loki could use Radial Disarm, Hydroid uses Undertow, and Loki uses Decoy on the Undertow. The result: enemies running straight into the void puddle. Thoughts?

Deep Dark Sea was actually very disappointing when I saw it. The name made it sound extremely menacing, and while I know that Warframe ults aren't supposed to be completely game-changing, it could've been something actually concerning water, instead of an imaginary Kraken. What I feel could actually work better is some sort of flood or giant wave. Something to knock back enemies and deal massive damage. Unless Scott has made significant changes to the original Kraken concept, I don't see tentacles being very successful in combat.

For the tl;dr, Hydroid just needs to have some powers that actually look like water. I'm not saying you should just absolutely discard the pirate thing, but considering that we're ninjas...... I dunno.

Edited by Gyronex

*shrugs*

Hydroids a dumb name I don't like it but what can you do. No reason getting all worked up about it, he still looks like a cool frame to play with.

I agree, I will not refer to it as that name, but once you've voiced that you don't like it there's not much else to it.  And he still looks badass so there is that.

Not sure if someone else has said this, but I'd love to point out something that'd work a bit better for "Hydroid".

His powers.

Quote from the Reddit Livestream #26 sub:

1. Tempest Barrage - Long ranged cannon barrage, orbital artillery strike

2. Tidal Surge - Turn into a tidal wave, boost forward, pushes AI down and together with DoT. Crowd control

3. Undertow - Craziest power: turn into a puddle! Cannot be detected by AI as puddle. If enemy walks over puddle, you can absorb them into the puddle and do DoT!

4. Deep Dark Sea - Tentacles! RELEASE THE KRAKEN! Grab and fling AI once deployed from the ground.

Just from personal opinion, the only two powers I see that COULD actually work for Hydroid are Tidal Surge and Undertow. They both fall under the lines of water manipulation and transformation, which could be legitimate and, for lack of better term, lore friendly for Hydroid.

I understand that a lot of people love the pirate concept for a water warframe. I'm not opposed to a pirate theme, but when it concerns water blasts that don't come from the Warframe itself (as seen in Scott's gameplay demo), and random tentacles being created from nothing (again, take a look at Scott's gameplay demo), it doesn't really fit what a Warframe is capable of.

I'm only saying this because, from my understanding, Warframes are what give the Tenno their unique abilities. They all have their own technology that allows for the control of an element of some type, not a lifestyle or job. I haven't seen a Warframe as of yet that doesn't have an unrealistic manipulation ability; even the most recent Warframes that don't concern physical elements.

Valkyr's abilities are based on the manipulation of rage, which looks like it was altered based on the Corpus torture. Her altered Warframe allows for her built up rage to be manifested. I assume other Warframes, given the time to develop, could utilize various emotions as well.

Oberon's abilities actually still confuse me. I assume they stem from holy power manipulation, but I'd like some clarification. Seeing as there is no evident religion in the DarkSector universe, I'm not seeing a holy power working. Paladin's use holy power if I'm correct. Regardless of what it is, the power works in both healing and offense.

Back to Hydroid...

His first power, Tempest Barrage, could work better if it actually came from the Warframe and not some pirate ship concept (I believe thats what I heard Scott mention).

I see no reason to change Tidal Surge. That power on its own looks very realistic when concerning the water manipulation ability of a Warframe, and could be EXTREMELY useful in missions. I could personally see a leveled up Tidal Surge having a wider spread when surging forward, knocking more enemies out of the way should they be there.

Undertow, the most controversial power from the looks of it, could use revision. I've never met anyone playing Warframe that sits still for a long time like Undertow would call for, as it immobilizes you. Without a better stealth system, the previewed ability wouldn't serve its purpose well, and I could see a Sentinel actually compromising the Warframe's position if equipped with with its usual automatic attack mod. Sure, it sucks enemies in and deals DoT, but I'll say it again: Nobody sits still for that long. If the ability is undergoing revision, I could recommend a time limit on how long you'd be allowed to remain a puddle, as well as a recharge and MOVEMENT. Allow for the puddle to move, but slower than normal speeds. It's supposed to be there for stealth, right?

EDIT: If a Loki is present, Undertow will become a game changer. For example, if a Hydroid is right smack in the middle of a large group of enemies, Loki could use Radial Disarm, Hydroid uses Undertow, and Loki uses Decoy on the Undertow. The result: enemies running straight into the void puddle. Thoughts?

Deep Dark Sea was actually very disappointing when I saw it. The name made it sound extremely menacing, and while I know that Warframe ults aren't supposed to be completely game-changing, it could've been something actually concerning water, instead of an imaginary Kraken. What I feel could actually work better is some sort of flood or giant wave. Something to knock back enemies and deal massive damage. Unless Scott has made significant changes to the original Kraken concept, I don't see tentacles being very successful in combat.

For the tl;dr, Hydroid just needs to have some powers that actually look like water. I'm not saying you should just absolutely discard the pirate thing, but considering that we're ninjas...... I dunno.

I feel Tempest Barrage should have Hydroid draw water out of the air with one hand and form them into cannonballs (they'd be floating roughly above him, following him), and then activate the ability again to launch them at an area you are pointing towards.

Deep Dark Sea, instead of making water tentacles that appear out of the ground/walls, should have the tentacles coming out of him, attacking enemies within his range and providing a water shield. 

Kind a like a smaller version of this:

katara-from-avatar-last-airbender-image-

And where does Rock, Paper, Scissors (Lizard, Spock) come into it?  =P

Hydroid does sound a bit...odd.  I mean it has "Driod" right there in it!  Ick.  (Can we force them to change it by reporting this to Lucas Film?  <.<)

I'd think "Nami" (japanese for 'wave', as far as I've been told) would be a great name for it.  Or Deluge.  Always liked that word ever since my brother got the Transformer of the same name so many years ago.  Yeah, I'd vote for Deluge.  :nod:

+1 for Deluge

I feel Tempest Barrage should have Hydroid draw water out of the air with one hand and form them into cannonballs (they'd be floating roughly above him, following him), and then activate the ability again to launch them at an area you are pointing towards.

Deep Dark Sea, instead of making water tentacles that appear out of the ground/walls, should have the tentacles coming out of him, attacking enemies within his range and providing a water shield. 

I really like that idea.