The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Voice-Chatting, Why Is It Unpopular?

Kellman

Any and every game I've ever played with the option to voice chat to everyone on the server...has never ended well when I had it on. I'll be honest, the very first thing I did when I started up the game was go into my options menu and disable voice chat. (Among other changes, it's just the first sweep that I always prefer to get out of the way before doing anythings.)

Sorry, guys, but from my experience, it's not worth it. Much better when it's a Ventrilo/TS/Mumble or Skyping with friends, so that only the people who actually care to have an intelligent conversation will go out of their way to do it. Then again, that experience comes from communities smaller than this one, where I have access to rooms that are filled only with the most intelligent of those who bothered...

...yeah, voice chat isn't worth it anyway. I understand this isn't a PvP environment, but no, sorry. I'm not against voice chat in games or anything, but I can't be bothered to deal with it myself. Just personal preference.

I don't use it often, here's why;

"You sound like a girl.  Are you a girl?  Boobs?"

"REVIVE ME DAMNIT!"

"So me and my girlfriend were..."

"You have Wriath *X* You know there are people that can't get that?  How can you keep using that thing?"  (Happened to my Clan leader.)

And then there are the ones that don't know they have Voicechat and start screaming at their kids, significant others or ghosts, I dunno.  

Voice chat for coordination and easy communication is a good idea but, there are too many igjits in the world.  I've just learned to type really fast and live with typos.

I have to agree. When people I have come across use a mic, it just overpowers all other sounds in the game. I stopped using TeamSpeak years ago when I played C&C Renegade and people would refuse to use push to talk feature. Those kids got muted or kicked pretty quick but the sounds of 12 year olds yelling at their mom's to let them play 20 more minutes still brings back nightmares.

1) voice comms arent needed

2) children

3) idiots

4) idiot children

5) theres nothing in game or in a map to identify specific areas, so you cant ask/tell a teammate to goto area A/B/C/D (except interception but their boring and theres no reason to do them over a regular defence mission) and defend/kill/help/whatever so theres basically nothing to talk about.

I don't use it often, here's why;

"You sound like a girl.  Are you a girl?  Boobs?"

"REVIVE ME DAMNIT!"

"So me and my girlfriend were..."

"You have Wriath *X* You know there are people that can't get that?  How can you keep using that thing?"  (Happened to my Clan leader.)

And then there are the ones that don't know they have Voicechat and start screaming at their kids, significant others or ghosts, I dunno.  

Voice chat for coordination and easy communication is a good idea but, there are too many igjits in the world.  I've just learned to type really fast and live with typos.

I have to agree. When people I have come across use a mic, it just overpowers all other sounds in the game. I stopped using TeamSpeak years ago when I played C&C Renegade and people would refuse to use push to talk feature. Those kids got muted or kicked pretty quick but the sounds of 12 year olds yelling at their mom's to let them play 20 more minutes still brings back nightmares.

^ These.

I don't know about you, but most clans use some alternate VOIP, like Teamspeak, Mumble, etc.  Skype would work for the really small clans.

In game VOIP?  Rarely used.  I'd use it if a DE employee popped into my game, but that's about it.  It's choppy by comparison.

The one and only time I used it, the quality wasn't horrible (not brilliant, but not horrible). Most of the time, however, I'm on my clan's Mumble server - which sounds a lot better than the in-game chat. It also works when we're not in the same session... so why bother switching to a different system?

I'm glad it's there as an option, I wouldn't like it to be auto-enabled for everyone as default.

I enjoy listening to music and it would get on my nerves having to mute every kid I come across who's having a hissy fit because you're not playing exactly how they want you to. Plus some people just don't want to talk unless they're with clan mates/friends, and if we do it's normally on Skype. 

This game doesn't require enough team coordination to warrant me using voice chat.  So I have it switched off completely.  Text gets the job done.

Besides, I wouldn't be able to hear anybody speaking in-game with my music running.

Not using voice chat is a PC thing. It works perfectly fine on the PS4. Yes, once in a while you get the person who plays obnoxious music in the background, or the one kid who would never shut up for a second and got mad because the other three of us would not say a word to him. (After his third death in less than a minute and his incessant rambling and sound effects, we let him die.) Overall voice chat is worth it, especially if you are in a clan. A good clan.

Not using voice chat is a PC thing. It works perfectly fine on the PS4. Yes, once in a while you get the person who plays obnoxious music in the background, or the one kid who would never shut up for a second and got mad because the other three of us would not say a word to him. (After his third death in less than a minute and his incessant rambling and sound effects, we let him die.) Overall voice chat is worth it, especially if you are in a clan. A good clan.

worth it maybe to pass the time, but not needed, no gametype/maps beyond the 2 interception maps have any focus point your able to direct other players towards, interception at least has a point A/B/C/D you can manage/direct players towards but every other game has no such focal point, so theres nothign really to communicate, also nothing really happens in a surprising/unexpected way to warrant communication and teamwork.

typically the only time i see anyone even use text/chat is to say "Stalker on me" and thats it.

Edited by Methanoid

tenno1:KHHHHHHHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hi guys KSHHHHHHHHHHHHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tenno2:(extremely loud . destroys your ears) hi there

tenno3:(you hear mic turn on but you cant hear the person , sounds like some evil whispers)

me: abandons mission

Because we don't have complicated enough content yet to warrant the use of it on an average basis.

Because the quality of the in-game voice chat is crap.

Because I'd swear hallway heroes down the river on impulse.

Either way, using a third party chat is far superior. You should be doing that if you're playing on PC anyway.

Edited by SolidSp33d

Because 80% of the time I open my mouth, I'm yelling at the screen for people to move out of their #@$%$#^!Q#$ out of the way and stop blocking shots.

Just because I need to say it, doesn't mean you need to hear it.