The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt: What Exactly Is Wrong With Him?

Brynslustafir

I recently started using Volt more than any other frame because his speed ability makes melee more effective and, well, I REALLY don't want to use Valkyr. Anyway, I often see people saying that volt needs to be buffed but they are never specific about what kind of buff he needs. And during my time using and forma-ing him I haven't found anything wrong with him. He's a good damage dealer and his speed ability benefits the entire team. He even has high sheilds, above 1000 if you mod him right. 

So what exactly are people complaining about? I just cant tell what it is about him that people consider to be lacking or insufficient. 

Everyone has a different thought about frames, some like some hate, ive never used volt so i wouldnt know 

It's just that Volt seems to get more of this criticism than any other frame apart from Valkyr. I can understand why people don't like Valkyr, she's too squishy and her ult is surprisingly non-threatening. 

But Volt actually seems to me like a decent frame with no clear flaws or failures. 

Nothing, really...

He as a slightly higher skill cap and that's about it.

If you are adept with lightning shield, i can't see an issue personally.

Dmg 2.0 increased his ability damage and Melee 2.0 increased his damage mitigation.

Volt's in a really good spot, IMO.

Well, there are a couple of reasons to complain about Volt, not that I agree with every one of these:

• He's slow-ish. While he does have a mobility skill, many people do not like having to rely on an ability to have a proper moving speed (Volt is meant to be a caster and casters are typically faster). I'm not sure where I stand on this issue personally.
  • He was weak before damage 2.0 (Update 11 I think?) and some people keep complaining out of habit. Now, his damage is outstanding against groups due to the proc of the electric element. I guess you could make a point that he is sub-par against smaller groups or individual targets, but that's a pretty good trade off if you ask me (more damage against groups than against individuals). 
  • Most people don't like Electric Shield. Cover isn't all that important most everywhere, and the gimmick with Synapse and Ignis (I think?) doesn't justify the skill for some people. I don't care about Electric Shield. 
  • People feel he isn't a good caster. His 2 bolsters his melee abilities, and melee'ing isn't typically a caster's job. On the other hand, his 3 fosters to gunplay. That contradiction also gave birth to some criticisms about Volt's kit as whole having no synergy.

These are the reasons I can think off of my head. I don't personally care about Volt, he's good enough tho I think his kit lacks synergy, but that hardly matter for me since I'm the kind of person who removes ability polarities. 

It's just that Volt seems to get more of this criticism than any other frame apart from Valkyr. I can understand why people don't like Valkyr, she's too squishy and her ult is surprisingly non-threatening. 

But Volt actually seems to me like a decent frame with no clear flaws or failures.

I haven't seen all of this criticism of Volt you're referring to. My impression is that most people just ignore him. Which is usually a good indicator of balance.

Ash and Oberon seem to get the most hate for being "bad" here.

I like Volt. He is fun to use and isn't difficult at all. He fits well as a gun-caster. Best mobility skill in the game and his Shock skill is a great CC (and pretty powerful). I don't use his ult (I don't like situational ults) when Shock does the job fine for less power. I think I would increase the height of his shield by a few inches and arc the shield a bit more (just a bit larger) so it can be more effective for team used rather than only fitting 1 frame effectively.

Now Banshee on the other hand....

I love his first power for its group stun, but there are others that sorta do it better.

I honestly can't find any complaints about him other than electric isn't too great versus certain enemy types. He used to be pretty weak, though. I suppose that's where a lot of people's complaints stemmed from in the first place.

Let's go through his abilities to find out what's wrong with him:

1) Does very meh damage, capped number of targets, cheap cost, decent CC. Decent skill.

2) Messes up your vision, makes it impossible to melee(and it gives +50% attack speed..), makes it hard to use your speed to your advantage due to messing up your entire screen. Has no use in combat besides running thanks to it completely screwing up your vision.

3) Cheap cost, nice duration and nice damage increase. However, it's completely ruined by the fact enemies surround you and can easily shoot over, around, and under you. Too hard to use effectively.

4) Long cast time that CC's you forever, never stuns instantly for me, very short duration CC, and as I said, the stun part seems very delayed to me. Makes you very vulnerable and doesn't deal much damage or CC enemies for very long.

The problem is his skills are all subpar, they don't deal much damage at all, they're all hard to use effectively, they don't really fit the way the game is played,  his 2 has almost zero combat potential, he has very low life and dies easily to bleeds/toxin, his damage is very weak for how squishy he is and he doesn't really have very good utility. I'd say his best skill is his 1 and even that isn't very good CC since it doesn't last very long.

He isn't bad, he's just..subpar. Much better than Ash/Banshee/Nekros, but still a very "meh" frame.

I got him to 30, played him for a few days then deleted him. Did not enjoy him, felt very subpar, and just not enjoyable. His 2 is his only fun skill and it's ruined by messing up your camera for no reason.

Edited by Kiaru

The problem is his skills are all subpar, they don't deal much damage at all, they're all hard to use effectively, they don't really fit the way the game is played,  his 2 has almost zero combat potential, he has very low life and dies easily to bleeds/toxin, his damage is very weak for how squishy he is and he doesn't really have very good utility. I'd say his best skill is his 1 and even that isn't very good CC since it doesn't last very long.

Did not enjoy him, felt very subpar, and just not enjoyable. His 2 is his only fun skill and it's ruined by messing up your camera for no reason.

Huh ? Volt low hp ?

His hp is higher than Mag or even Loki. 

And he has the same amount of shield rating as Rhino and Frost.

His 1 is extremely easy to spam as you can do it even when reloading, giving him a practically free flash bang.

So he is a very good run and gunner.

Edited by fatpig84

Let's go through his abilities to find out what's wrong with him:

1) Does very meh damage, capped number of targets, cheap cost, decent CC. Decent skill.

2) Messes up your vision, makes it impossible to melee(and it gives +50% attack speed..), makes it hard to use your speed to your advantage due to messing up your entire screen. Has no use in combat besides running thanks to it completely screwing up your vision.

3) Cheap cost, nice duration and nice damage increase. However, it's completely ruined by the fact enemies surround you and can easily shoot over, around, and under you. Too hard to use effectively.

4) Long cast time that CC's you forever, never stuns instantly for me, very short duration CC, and as I said, the stun part seems very delayed to me. Makes you very vulnerable and doesn't deal much damage or CC enemies for very long.

He isn't bad, he's just..subpar. Much better than Ash/Banshee/Nekros, but still a very "meh" frame.

I got him to 30, played him for a few days then deleted him. Did not enjoy him, felt very subpar, and just not enjoyable. His 2 is his only fun skill and it's ruined by messing up your camera for no reason.

1: One of the best 1 abilities, offering cheap chainstuns and respectable damage vs crowds of non-Grineer.

2: View distortion isn't even that bad and they supposedly fixed it in the latest hotfix anyway.  If you can't melee using this you're doing something wrong.

3: God forbid we have to think about the placement of our skills

4: Room-wide stuns that can also inflict huge damage, even to Grineer when electronics are present.  The animation was toned down a number of patches ago so the stun can be taken advantage of by the caster.  This is one of the best 4s in the game.  

If you only played Volt to 30 with no potato many patches ago you probably aren't qualified to give feedback on him.  

I just built Volt recently and he's quickly become one of my favorite frames.

-Shock is easily one of the most fun and useful #1 abilities since it's multi-hit, doesn't require precise aiming, and comes with a stun effect.

-Speed is always handy for reaching a downed teammate or LS capsule on the other side of the map, and who can say no to a free speed boost?

-Electric Shield is a bit situational and it is annoying that it can't stop explosions, but it's still really good for some good ol' fashion door camping, and the bonus damage and range is nice as well.

-I don't use Ultimates much so I can't say much about Overload, it's nothing outstanding but it gets the job done and does a fair amount of damage even without electronics around, and like with shock the stun effect is always nice.

All in all he's a really fun and versatile frame that has a skill for just about everything, a jack of all trades frame I guess. If I were to complain I suppose it would be nice if his base sprint speed was a little higher so you don't have to cast speed all the time to feel like you're getting somewhere, and electrical shield could be effected by range mods and stun melee units that run through it (in a perfect world it would follow you around like a riot shield) but otherwise I personally enjoy how varied and not bound to one caste he is.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

In my opinion Speed is his best skill mainly because of the FOV increase. It isn't even up to Quake levels, and yet people complain...

I really wish they would add an option to allow an ally Volts Speed to modify FOV again.

People don't care about electric shield ? They really should :

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Electric_Shield

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:PsycloneM/Volt:_Electric_Shield

If you know exactly how electric shield works, Volt is a really strong Warframe : able to enhance the DPS of some guns to an insane point, he have a nice and cheap CC skill too and a really sweet team buff. Oh and shield's distortion effect have been tuned down since the last hofix : I can for myself clearly see in a totally white electric shield. One more reason to use MUCH MORE electric shield.

Remember kids, if you don't use electric shield with the right weapon/mods, you're doing it wrong.

I think my biggest gripe with Volt is that Shock won't stun enemies that are in certain animations (e.g. hiding behind cover, throwing grenades, mashing panic buttons, using any special ability or animation, etc). My second-biggest gripe is that you can't tone down the FoV increase when using Speed, which is why I only enjoy Speed when I'm not the one casting it.

That aside, though, this Frame is already pretty great. Huge variety of ways to build him, all of which are incredibly effective.

Edited by SortaRandom

Volt was my first frame during CB (post nerf and pre buff) and I played him for months. I did the rounds and eventually migrated back to Volt, especially after his Shock was buffed again in the fall of last year. I can't say I play Volt in a typical way though.

The comment by one person that Volt has low health...ugh. My volt has 1230 shield and 860 health. I use him as a Melee Fighter and he's just great at it. Out of all my other frames (my poor Ash really needs some love), my Volt with high shield, health, fast shield regen, damage reflection, retribution, rush, stamina max and regen....is a wonderful melee fighter because he's so reactive and mobile.

I only use Shock as it's great for buying you some time when you've been overwhelmed. I don't bother with speed, as it is usually disorienting to others in random groups. I don't bother with shield, as it makes no sense unless you're sitting behind it (and in a game that punishes sitting still, it makes no sense), and overload while much more useful now is just too expensive/situational and counter to how I would play.

- Shock is fine, no need for a buff.

- Speed is fine.

- Shield needs functional and logical fixing. I think DE should take a cue from their new enemy type the Eximus and make Volt's shield like that of the Arctic mobile snow globe. Have the electric shield of Volt become a mobile version, affected by stretch that will allow other Frames to get within, in order to benefit from the effects of shooting out of it. I can picture the frames now moving forward dealing death from out of this hahaha.

- Overload. Do the same here as what is being done with the Arson Eximus and make it a quicker blast type of effect.

Otherwise, I've only forma'd my Volt one time, so he's nowhere near the potential he could be and yet he's the most versatile Frame I currently work with.

Remember what happened on u13? Opaque shields were awesome :P

Opaques shields were already fixed before the hotfix 13.2.4. The current hotfix just made them even more clear. ATM only a quite small portion at the center of the shield is blurry with the brighter colors. Unless aiming while crouching, I doubt that it will cause so much problems.