Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Bad Were Things Back Then?

Bayle_Fire

Anyone remember the old corpus laser doors? They dealt insane and very leathal damage and was te No. 1 for getting downed on corpus missions.

Oh, and cameras had no visual and minimal audial cue. Better check your surroundings well before procceding, or stop before every door.

Mod drop rate was the same across the board. It said "common" or "rare" but really they all had the same chance to drop. I ended up maxing several rare mods by fusing duplicates.

Stalker was easy unless you were leveling a new warframe... and new primary, secondary and melee. He also didn't drop anything.

Rollers! God those things were aweful to fight against.they would stagger you once they hit you and you then had a split second after recovering to shoot the damn things before they staggered you again. Combine that with WAAAY faster rollingspeed and the ability to turn on a dime (nothing like today where they take 2 seconds to change directions if they miss you nosir, these things could just completely ignore the law of directional force). And did I mention, once they got in range they freaking JUMPED at you!

Hitting them was a massive pita, missing them meant guaranteed stagger.

You could hold down the melee button for a slower charged melee. This atack was always ignored armor and made damage types on different weapons completely irrelevent (unless you went for a non-charge build with fang or dual ether).

Actually ended up selling my Ash (after getting him to 30 thanfully) since bladestorm was a bugged mess that looked horrible (you basically teleported behind every enemy and 50% of the time the camera would clip into terrain, so you could see outside the map), shuriken was singletarget with such bad damage/cast speed that using your primary was always better, and teleport required you to put your cursor perfectly on top of the target. This really only worked at point blank or if both you and your target were standing perfectly still (it was just less of a bother to simply run up to the target instead of trying to make this skill work. Also, no strike of oppurtunity on succes). Not sure if this skill has been fixed since.

Only thing that really worked was smoke, and Loki simply did the same but better.

Rhino skin was pure invincibility (but duration based). So was link, with damage reflect tacked on.

Trinity was a pain to support with. First skill made enemies give allies life when shoot (no stun, health in crease of hovering-in-the-air nonsense) . Making sure a target stayed alive for the "right" ally to shoot him was ... difficult.

Same deal with energy vampire, no pulses or stuns. Unless you were on coordinated voip the only way to play trinity as an acctual support was to feed yourself energy with EV and spam bless.

No damage cap on Frost snow globe.

Warframes did not have a aura slot. Auras still existed, but they had to be equipped on the map screen and they could not be leveled up. They were not mods but a completely seperate entity.

Credits was a problem. I remember speedrunning merc boss for the guranteed Cronous BP drop (5k cred), to keep from dying of boredom I started cloking my runs and managed to get it down to 47 sec average.

Failing missions still gave you full mod/resource rewards.

Farming rubedo by starting a defense mission, breaking all the containers and then aborting.

Failing missions caused you to lose out on all gathered resources and mods.

Back when Strun Wraith had 15% crit (I believe?) and in less than 2 hours it was nerfed.  That was the FASTEST NERF I have EVER seen in a game....all of this was before dmg 2.0.......it literally shot 100% yellow numbers

You mean 50% base crit chance.  or was it 60%?

I was at work checking into the forums during this.  Bunches of OMG OP! threads and by the time I got home to collect the Strun Wraith for myself it had been nerfed.

It was still 20% crit until damage 2.0 put it down to 15%

Didn't read through the thread and I started just after open Beta but just before Steam.

The biggest thing and drove away many of the guys that got me playing was the little @(*()$ pink orbs rather than end of mission guaranteed rewards for frame parts.

The stories of 100+ boss runs without seeing that ONE part.  Though I think Ash was the hardest for me and it took ~20 runs.  Some of the most notorious like Nova only took me 7 runs.  That was something bad, especially watching I think it was Vor's pink orb fall down into the nothing on that tile.

Edited by Wahooo

You mean 50% base crit chance.  or was it 60%?

I was at work checking into the forums during this.  Bunches of OMG OP! threads and by the time I got home to collect the Strun Wraith for myself it had been nerfed.

It was still 20% crit until damage 2.0 put it down to 15%

Didn't read through the thread and I started just after open Beta but just before Steam.

The biggest thing and drove away many of the guys that got me playing was the little @(*()$ pink orbs rather than end of mission guaranteed rewards for frame parts.

The stories of 100+ boss runs without seeing that ONE part.  Though I think Ash was the hardest for me and it took ~20 runs.  Some of the most notorious like Nova only took me 7 runs.  That was something bad, especially watching I think it was Vor's pink orb fall down into the nothing on that tile.

I can't remember the percentage I just remember being in the chat.....everyone talking about yellow numbers.....I test out the weapon......i complete 1 mission.....I head back to chat ..and it's already a hotfix lmfao

Used to be able to click the daily log in reward bonus and stop it, granting you whatever you clicked on. People fast enough or lucky enough farmed up potatoes everyday. If you weren't fast or lucky you just denied that it was even a thing in the first place.

DE sold a color pack with 3 colors in it for 75 plat in the shape of the USA flag then a few weeks later sold the same 3 colors in the shape of the French flag again for 75 plat.

Farming mods used to be endless since they could have any 2 stats combined on them with different values.

Mods colors were white, green, and blue. They were also level locked so you could have some sweet blue mod that gave 2 great stats like damage and multishot but couldn't equip it till you ranked your weapon to 30.

Melee damage wasnt just a melee only mod it also appeared on warframe mods.

The heavy melee weapons made everyones screen shake when some one attacked with it.

Melee damage and run speed on frame mods + attack speed and melee damage on melee mods made ash and loki crazy(invis red crits).

Coptering is slow compared to what you could have done with the above combo.

All frames ran at the same speed. Wanted to do a speed run? Volt was your only option for activate-able run speed boost.

Volts speed boost only effected himself and was faster then it is now. 

Defense maps were just one small room that all the AOE frames back then could clear with 1 push of their ult. This included Ash who didn't have a maximum number of targets he could hit.

Ash didn't have invulnerability while ulting and would die while TPing around and still killing anything caught in his bladestorm while in the downed state.

You couldn't use your ult unless you were "supercharged" (what potatoing used to be called)

Potatoes used to not even exists and the game really was pay4power.

Steve was PM-able on the forums back in the day.

Edited by Brontolith

• 2 weeks later...

You never experienced hell until you were nearly 1 shotted by a lazer door and you never see it comming, yea those things were responsible for 80% of my deaths back in closed beta, thank god it only hurts shields now you guys have it easy.

At the time the Hek was the godlyest weapon of all time, simply because at the time when your gun leveld up it would get additional attack, clip, firerate etc. and then you can give it more upgrades with a skill tree they use to have for all frames and weapons, that either gave you a stat boost or unlock a mod slot for you. I had a 14 clip Hek that had about 200% multishot and theyre was no bullet drop either. it was a monster and one shotted amubulas all day eeervyday.

The rewards credits you get from completing pluto was the same amount as completing the first level on mercury, yea you literally beat one of the hardest bosses and your reward was 1k credits -_-

you can get rare 10 cores like crazy at the start of U9.

mags pull was never op till she was tweaked

infested use to belong on jupiter and eris

You HAD to potato your frame to even unlock theyre 4th ability and use the skill tree provided to increase damage, duration etc. you had to p[lan everything out off teh bat to have a good frame and most of the time you end up useing a skillpoint to buy a power and upgrade you dont need but you had to in order for you to reach the power and ability you did want.

The stackable mods was insane, i had a friened with excal with all high quality sprint mods and holy S#&$ you thought that mother #@*&$@ was SANIC.

You didnt know what the mod you collected was till after the game ended, it would only say melee mod, pistol mod or a weapon specific mod like Gorgon mod. white was common, green was uncommon and if your stats had a blue text it was super rare and some times youd even get double stat mods like 50% shields and 50% health.

pretty much all grineer bosses looked exatcly the same, ruk , kril and vor all looked like classic hek.

theyre was a technique you could use called "wave dashing" and youd literally glide through levels at high speeds, look it up and youll see an old vid about it.

removing or installing mods costed credits, not a lot just like an easy 1k, but that was every time you wanted to shift things around.

When u9 came out and stripped us of all teh mods we ever had, my first mission i encounterd stalker and he raped my squishy unmodded frame, my godly hek was S#&$ and i couldnt do anything, The nightmares.... they haunt me at night sometimes.

alloy plates dropped 20 a piece sometimes,

T3 void when they first came out use to give you over 100k easy.

Wyrim sucked &#! when he first appeard so ppl usually used shade for cloak.

theyre was no trading

no deralect

Rollers was the bane of our existance

killing toxics on high defense waves (which btw is nothing but toxics) will leave large &#! clouds that would stay for hours and insta kill you.

when void came out the lazer orbs would be names "whatever" for a while.

We used to NOT be able to share mods across weapons.  I knew players with 5 maxed serrations ROFL.  We had to unequip our mods every time we changed weapons if we wanted to use those same mods.

Something you missed was 100% procs on elementals which was AWESOME.  Building a Hek with max ice damage used to cause enemies to explode into chunks flying off the screen.  When the Boar Prime was first released (pre damage 2.0) we could shoot a crowd full of enemies with a blaze mod and they would all be set on fire and burn.

Fragor used to launch Grineer Lancers off the map.  It was like hitting home runs with every swing!  XD

Ash (my main) used to do a really funny animation when bladestorm was cast.  If you used a sickle like reaper prime or hate it would look like he was using the top blunt part to simply touch the enemies and they would die.  (they made a simple stabbing animation for all melee back then.)

The Lotus sounded happy/giddy...  The Grineer Lancers said the funniest things.  We ran all missions on the same Corpus ships (there was only one tileset!) at first.

Still...  While in some ways Warframe was actually more fun with these quirks (I miss them so much) I understand that if it's to be a game for the masses it must be polished, etc. so that's why many of these things are gone now.

Edited by sushidubya

Something you missed was 100% procs on elementals which was AWESOME.  Building a Hek with max ice damage used to cause enemies to explode into chunks flying off the screen.  When the Boar Prime was first released (pre damage 2.0) we could shoot a crowd full of enemies with a blaze mod and they would all be set on fire and burn.

You forgot one thing: 

Freezing enemies while they are on fire. Good times. 

Well, there were a lot of bugs back then, well, just.

Less reliance on RNG. well, just.

Only 1 tileset, that was fun.

Nervos, jesus, dumb as some decisions DE have been, this was a classic.

Er, in fairness, the core game hasn't changed that drastically, but tons of fluff has been added.

Rhino was painfully slow and considered mediocre.

Moas looked like they were wearing slacks made out of PVC.

Money rewards were so meagre that farming Vor to sell Cronus blueprints was one of the few quick and effective ways to grind out cash.

Boss mission rewards used to be white ball loot drops and could be lost down pits or catapulted into oblivion.

Everyone despised speedrunning Loki players who would get to the exit and deprive everyone else of the rewards because it used to take just one guy to end the mission.

The top floor catwalk of Corpus ship defence missions used to be an unfinished part of the map that wasn't supposed to be reachable and which players weren't supposed to take notice of. Running up the elevator shaft to reach it the first time felt like a nice little achievement. Then they ruined it by adding stairs.

Grineer had shields.

And as many have already said (but it's worth repeating), armor scaling on enemies at higher levels meant that 99% of all weapons became useless against high level enemies, especially in defence missions. If a weapon didn't have the special armor ignore trait, it was considered trash. Flux rifle and Dual Ether were king and queen.

Edited by Blast_Hardcheese

And as many have already said (but it's worth repeating), armor scaling on enemies at higher levels meant that 99% of all weapons became useless against high level enemies, especially in defence missions. If a weapon didn't have the special armor ignore trait, it was considered trash. Flux rifle and Dual Ether were king and queen.

If given the armour piercing damage mod, *every* weapon had armour ignore. Synapse and Soma were much better armour-ignoring weapons than the Flux Rifle. And a surprisingly large number had an ignoring base type - 98% of melee weapons on their charged strike, all throwing weapons, bolt weapons, for instance.

Broken lights.

NEVER FORGET.

Pff, broken lights.

Nervos. Never forget Nervos.

From the wiki:

"Nervos were small devices deployed by Seekers that latch onto players and stun them, dealing strong damage to shields. While attached, the affected player would hunch over in pain and become incapable of performing any action; only teammates could destroy the Nervo by attacking the victim.  When any teammate had been struck by a Nervo, an overhead message would appear dictating the victim's name and something to the effect of "Go help him/her"; affected players would also appear as red, flashing crosses on the minimap, similar to incapacitated players.

Nervos were ultimately removed from the game during the Closed Beta pending a tuning/re-balance pass...."

You think broken lights were bad? Hah.....HAH....

Edited by SoulEchelon