The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does Destiny's "alhpa" Look More Feature Complete Than Warframe's "beta"?

CY13ERPUNK

Guys, I do believe what he's talking about is a matter of terminonolgy rather than time.

He means why does another game's ALPHA have more features than Warframe's BETA, when Alpha is far before Beta in game development schedules?

Sure, why not. Still everything about having hundreds of more staff, and $500 million from publisher Activision, makes a huge difference. DE lives hand to mouth from the support of its users with a small team. Games spend years in Alpha and Beta stages. If you check out Bungies own video series you'll see they spent years alone developing the engine for the game. Activision is giving them money to make a franchise, pre-baked and ready to go. DE is trying to make the game they want, on their own. 

Aww forgot about Darkness but I'm not sure about Unreal though since Epic Games was also involved

DE's involvement in Unreal was essential. They helped make the engine, and later they made their own, that currently powers Warframe.

Darkness 2 is one of those forgettable games, here one day gone the next just like Dark Sector

DE's experience working with publishers has not been great, hence the lack luster performance of those games. That is what has motivated them to create the unique situation that is Free 2 Play Warframe. A game we (players) are currently financing through development. Its like an alternative to kickstarter.

Destiny was in production since Halo 3, hell there were even easter eggs in Halo ODST. That why its more polished than warframe, which barely came out like 2-3 year ago. Destiny has a larger amount of time, and a larger budget as well. DE on the other hand are smaller, and have limited resources. 

DESTINY_IN_ODST.jpg Ad_Asklon_Cities-150x300.png

*Note the second easter egg reference to where some of the alpha gameplay was taken as well in Destiny such as Chicago. Again showing how bungie planned this for a long time. 

Edited by cryotech9020

We are missing the point. The underlying concept that the OP has skillfully introduced is that of an alpha being "better" than a beta leaving us to defend WHY it is. Clever. I have played both and I prefer Warframe. Warframe could definitely benefit from a bigger budget but the publisher/investors for destiny expect a return on their investment. They have to convince people to buy this game. Warframe is a free to play game. Apples and oranges

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

DE's experience working with publishers has not been great, hence the lack luster performance of those games. That is what has motivated them to create the unique situation that is Free 2 Play Warframe. A game we (players) are currently financing through development. Its like an alternative to kickstarter.

That's fine and all but they came.in with no game plan. They created a game with no lore, no current story we can actually interact with, and no endgame, they made a game with no objective to what they want to do with it other then make it a grindfest for the players.

Got into the Alpha, The game was way to polished to be an Alpha felt more like a Demo. IMO Warframe got out of beta when the they put a cash shop in the "Beta" tag is a "just in case we screw up" sticker.

*sends you back to F2P development classes to learn the beta concept all over again*

Speaking of which, Destiny is not F2P last I heard, and thus, has a completely different development cycle.

Oranges are better than apples, clearly.

*sends you back to F2P development classes to learn the beta concept all over again*

Speaking of which, Destiny is not F2P last I heard, and thus, has a completely different development cycle.

*High fives*

More money = More polish = Better game PERIOD

DE bit off more than they could chew by pushing this game on Steam so early on. They started off with bugs and many of those bugs still exist. The AI is still a mess and that will never improve. They do updates that change things to make use of new gear so they can keep reeling in cash. There is only one path they can continue to take or they fall behind. If they can't keep cranking out new stuff to sell they run out of funding and the game is done.

I will admit it is unfair to compare them but i was just staying on topic and giving my 2 cents.

That's fine and all but they came.in with no game plan. They created a game with no lore, no current story we can actually interact with, and no endgame, they made a game with no objective to what they want to do with it other then make it a grindfest for the players.

Of course asking players to make stuff like story and lore for themselves is stupid. We need to be handed everything on a silver platter, preferably gift wrapped. After all, why make things for ourselves when we can have a big name make them for us? Imagination is for fools. It's not like the game isn't finished. And it certainly isn't changing as we watch. It's not like we should work to make it better or anything. We DESERVE everything handed to us, preferably without paying for it.

THIS is what I get from so many of these threads.

I still prefer Warframe and likely always will as long as it is running.

Edited by Kalenath

The game was an experiment; one glance at the game in early beta should be enough to figure that out.  There was no way for them to know the game would be this successful.  They've made gigantic amounts of progress since then; end game and story mean nothing if there aren't gameplay systems to actually make them worth exploring.

Edited by Aggh

Bungie is damn good at what they do and Destiny shows that off. So long as it is a shooter you can count of them to deliver.

DE and Warframe are a different sort of tale. DE hasn't done a F2P before and neither have they tackled the up-front interaction with an MMO community. Though Warframe has been going for a good while now, DE still has stuff to learn about putting together a seriously engaging experience in Warframe. Personally speaking, I'm fine with that. I'm willing to sit back and watch and when I see stuff I don't like I chime up.

I watched a bit of destiny gameplay the other day. While the visuals and sounds ARE top notch, the gameplay seemed a tad bland and slow.

In all honesty, I could not tell what it was trying to be, so it just seemed a tad meh.