Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Not Like Hydroid

Arabaxus

Yeah I hear people ragging on Hydroid sometimes and I don't understand it much either - he's fun to play as and long side of in my opinion. If it's really about the RNG wall then why aren't people downplaying Vauban in the same way they do Hydroid when Vauban is 100% pure RNG in every way.. 

It's because he doesn't clear 70 rooms in a circle around him instantly for 10 energy.

Basically, he's just like Oberon, he's not an incredible steamrolling powerhouse, so he's deemed worthless by the people that think too highly of themselves.

Mid tier frames with gimmicks only will always be shunned.

I just hate that his other helmet has yet to show on an alert >:L

It already appeared once a week or two ago... but you may have missed out on it. I've been waiting for it about a month and it appeared on the one evening I couldn't stay up late. So now we won't see it at least for another 2 or 3 months. xD

Edited by MeduSalem

Fun to play, not fun to play with. He really sets the pace for a game with his CC, stuns, and ulty. But that pace is way WAY too slow, it's annoying.

Also, it's a *@##$ to acquire him. Not only is it a massive grind, but the boss requires some reasonably high dmg weapons and is prone to bugging out. For a while there was only one or two missions you could even get beacons from. And to top it all off, you can't trade his parts. Considering most other frames can do the same thing he does, better, and are easier to acquire. I can see why people would think he's unliked because most people simply don't have him, even now.

I can explain this...

1. uncool in appearance... it gets old pretty quick after a few months of running around in a pirate hat.

2. Not reliable, or versatile.

3.  Just because I have the avatar on doesn't mean I am a hardcore fan. I just like looking like a captain on the forums, but maybe I will change it to something else. Maybe back to Nekros? Maybe try Excalibur Prime? Who knows.

4. Not many play Hydroid because its hard to make a favorite out of him. Most would rather play as Excalibur, Volt, Mag, Nyx, Nova, Rhino, Loki, Ember, or Ash... The usual crew of favs.(and soon Valkyr will make a throne for herself amongst them when U14 comes out)

I think a lot of people just don't farm in groups and pool their resources.

Even when you did, it could take days of farming to get a single delta beacon. Then you could end up with poor luck and not get the parts you need. It only got worse when all the nodes became corpus controlled.

He doesn't fit the game. He's a pirate, not a ninja.

^^This is it exactly, plus the name is probably the worse name that could have ever graced a frame. DE loses sight of the "how is this ninja" a lot and this frame is way way off base. The new harlequin frame looks like they still are not trying to get back on track anytime soon!

I got Hydroid fairly easaily, but I don't like to play him. I don't like to play him because I don't like playing with him on my team and I don't want to subject other people to that.

The issue is simple: large area shutdown abilities like tentacles (or tornados, mprime, etc) aren't that fun.

-They're amusing to use once or twice, but quickly take the place of actually playing the game

-They obstruct other players trying to do their thing, both by eating up all the enemies and by generally just being big and noisy

-They tend to take all the kills, but not in a targeted way. A well-placed vortex from Vauban can be helpful and funny to hit with a melee finisher, while tornados and tentacles just throw everything around in an obnoxious way. Warframe is a third person shooter, not a third person waiter.

I prefer to bring something with more utility that people won't mind me using frequently.

He doesn't fit the game. He's a pirate, not a ninja.

A pirate could fit. If they were made more like Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, and not bulky.

Warframe is a third person shooter, not a third person waiter.

I predict a new simulator game in our future...

Edited by Arlayn

Hydroid's design is out of place, which is the main reason I don't care for him. Not all the frames need to be ninja-like, but the design shifited from rough, semi-organic looking frames more towards "the visualiztion of X theme". Zephyr's design was trending this way already, Hydroid's design to it to the next level of cliche.

The original frame designs are what drew me to check out warframe in the first place, it looked unique and different... believeable even, that in some future world these strange, rough looking suits are used to grant special abilities to the wearer and/or have become part of them physically.

Hydroid looks like he woke up and put his pirate costume on.

the puddle while cool... is a horrible skill to use. you suck things down into the puddle. enemies then don't want to walk near the puddle. it takes minutes to kill anything inside the puddle. you can't move while being a puddle. it'd be a cooler ability if you could cast a puddle out while still being able to fight. then you could use a puddle to block off an area or gain some space while getting mobbed.

I also find hydroid really squishy. like way squishier than his 117 armor would indicate.

Probably because other frames all have better versions of his ability. Sadly for a lot of content, it comes down to reducing grind and ease of use, which is why vortex and radial disarm dominate. Hydroids and Zephyr's CC abilities are visually cool, but annoying in terms of utility, as the enemies are all flying about as opposed to vortex which crushes them into a easy to shoot killzone.