Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, Warframe Is A Sequel After The Game, " Dark Sector"

zavienh5

Dark Sector was supposed to be WarFrame, but DE wasn't able to make the game due to (as I understand it) publisher interference who wanted another historical/gritty shooter. As such, Dark Sector (as a scifi game with Corpus and the like) became changed into the one we received. If you're curious where the Protoarmor skin came from, that's a direct port (although slightly touched up graphically) from Dark Sector to celebrate their 1-year anniversary. It's pretty cool, and I've got one.

Regarding dark sector:

1. The lotus motif marks the shops where you buy weapons. They like the motif, but it's not significant in the game.

2. Hayden Tenno is confirmed as the first Tenno, although the very nature of Tenno as a race is probably fairly far removed from what he was by now. Similar, but not the same.

3. The Technocyte virus created the first Tenno, who were the survivors of the plague that pretty much destroyed the world. Eventually, thousands of years down the line, we also know it was weaponized and changed to be used as a biological weapon against the Sentient (by the Orokin). Lephantis is one of the examples of it being used as a weapon, and modern infested are the result of it spreading.

Edited by LordGreymantle

[DE]Megan confirmed Dark Sector as Warframe's prequel(for want of a better word).

Direct quote from Megan:

Warframe Lore
It’s without surprise that the Proto Armor has raised questions about the Lore of Warframe. For many players, Dark Sector was the beginning. The Proto Armor has indicated that yes, Dark Sector and Warframe are inextricably linked. Stay tuned for more!

They are "linked" does not mean in any way that it is a prequel, you are stretching her words to say something definite when they are actually very vague as far as to say how the two are related. 

Being a spiritual successor also makes them linked, but not in story or lore. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

[DE]Megan confirmed Dark Sector as Warframe's prequel(for want of a better word).

Direct quote from Megan:

"Warframe Lore

It’s without surprise that the Proto Armor has raised questions about the Lore of Warframe. For many players, Dark Sector was the beginning. The Proto Armor has indicated that yes, Dark Sector and Warframe are inextricably linked. Stay tuned for more!"

From here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/202706-march-28th-community-hot-topics/

Linked, but not really connected.

Remember, according to the lotus it's been centuries since the fall of the Orokin, and they were a highly advanced futuristic-ish race to begin with. Dark Sector is set in the 80s. If they are in the same universe, the time gap between them is so massive as to make them barely connected.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Dark Sector was supposed to be WarFrame, but DE wasn't able to make the game due to (as I understand it) publisher interference who wanted another historical/gritty shooter. As such, Dark Sector (as a scifi game with Corpus and the like) became changed into the one we received. If you're curious where the Protoarmor skin came from, that's a direct port (although slightly touched up graphically) from Dark Sector to celebrate their 1-year anniversary. It's pretty cool, and I've got one. Regarding dark sector:

1. The lotus motif marks the shops where you buy weapons. They like the motif, but it's not significant in the game.2. Hayden Tenno is confirmed as the first Tenno, although the very nature of Tenno as a race is probably fairly far removed from what he was by now. Similar, but not the same.3. The Technocyte virus created the first Tenno, who were the survivors of the plague that pretty much destroyed the world. Eventually, thousands of years down the line, we also know it was weaponized and changed to be used as a biological weapon against the Sentient (by the Orokin). Lephantis is one of the examples of it being used as a weapon, and modern infested are the result of it spreading.

^

This

Dark Sector was supposed to BE Warframe. It's just that the publishers wanted DE to make third person CoD, and they had no choice but to cut out a lot of the stuff that was supposed to be Warframe.

I don't know how many times this makes, but I've typed something like this so many times now.

Steve one said on an old livestream, a long Long time ago: Warframe it's a sequel to Dark Sector, but not in the sense of "what did Hayden Tenno do the next day", but more towards "so the events in Dark Sector uncovers the technocyte virus". How does the world change with this discovery of a virus that allows humans to interface directly with something foreign like it is part of their body? Perhaps it provides humanity new technological a stepping stone to a breakthrough to advance their technology to the point that they can colonise the entire star system and bringing about a golden age of technology. (hint: Oro and Kin is the word for Gold in Spanish and Japanese)

Hayden is the first Tenno in the sense that he wears a technorganic armour (although technically Nadia wore hers before he did). Not that Hayden Jesus Tenno started a whole warrior clan of Void mutants ages after he dies. No, I do not think the Technocyte virus made him immortal, because honestly? that's super lame.

Edited by Shion963

Actually, from the direction the lore is taking (slowly) Warframe is a sequel, albeit one in the very distant future.

There's a lot of stuff in the interim that we simply don't know. It's leaking out bit by bit, however.

Hayden Tenno is the spiritual forefather or our present tenno. I think it's reasonably clear he was something the Orokin looked to replicate and improve upon for their final army to combat the Sentients.

Of course, that didn't end well for them, but that's another gap in our knowledge with only few snippits of information to illuminate what happened after the end of the Great War.

I don't know how many times this makes, but I've typed something like this so many times now.

Steve one said on an old livestream, a long Long time ago: Warframe it's a sequel to Dark Sector, but not in the sense of "what did Hayden Tenno do the next day", but more towards "so the events in Dark Sector uncovers the technocyte virus". How does the world change with this discovery of a virus that allows humans to interface directly with something foreign like it is part of their body? Perhaps it provides humanity new technological a stepping stone to a breakthrough to advance their technology to the point that they can colonise the entire star system and bringing about a golden age of technology. (hint: Oro and Kin is the word for Gold in Spanish and Japanese)

Hayden is the first Tenno in the sense that he wears a technorganic armour (although technically Nadia wore hers before he did). Not that Hayden Jesus Tenno started a whole warrior clan of Void mutants ages after he dies. No, I do not think the Technocyte virus made him immortal, because honestly? that's super lame.

Post the devstream number and time were he says that, I don't remember seeing this myself but I may have missed it, otherwise I would say you are remembering incorrectly.  

Besides the little lore we have in this game so far would say they have nothing to do with each other. 

-The Orokin created the Technocyte virus to fight the sentients. 

-The Orokin created the Tenno when traditional Orokin arms proved ineffective. 

-(from embers codex entry) Tenno are probably humans exposed to the void for an extended period. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Post the devstream number and time were he says that, I don't remember seeing this myself but I may have missed it, otherwise I would say you are remembering incorrectly.

Besides the little lore we have in this game so far would say they have nothing to do with each other.

-The Orokin created the Technocyte virus to fight the sentients.

-The Orokin created the Tenno when traditional Orokin arms proved ineffective.

-(from embers codex entry) Tenno are probably humans exposed to the void for an extended period.

Can't remember if the top of my head, but it was <10 I think. What he explicitly mentioned was the"not direct sequel" and "first in the sense of" parts.

The technocyte virus existed pre-Orokin. What we get from infested are Nanotech, rather than biological. Golemm/Leph was mentioned to be Orokin creations to combat The Sentients.

Ember's codex entry implies that the void-mutated humans wasn't something they knew about, or created. They sent a ship into the Void, it came out with baby Void mutants onboard. They took those and trained them, made suits that could focus their abilities, and then deployed these Tenno to fight.

EDIT: Found this post, best I can give for now. I literally typed the conversation word for word in that post. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/85492-nadia-sudek-is-the-first-warframe/?p=936989

Edited by Shion963

Warframe is essentially the game they wanted Dark Sector to be, in a sense.. They wanted the gritty space ninja, insurgency thing going on in a single player format..But their publisher balked at the idea and said it wouldin't sell because this is after Dead Space came out and they didn't want to directly compete with that game..so they took a more grounded approach at the idea.

I think with that in mind, you really shouldn't try to draw a lot of parallels between dark sector and warframe.

Here's the original trailer for Dark Sector. It kind of shows that Warframe was something they've had in mind for a long time, and with the advent of F2P and some finagling around, and liberties taken with this new format, they were able to make it.

I think that would have been a fun game.. And if they focused their creativity and art talent on a focused narrative from the perspective of one player it would have been one hell of a game. But there is nothing that can be done about that now.

Warframe is essentially the game they wanted Dark Sector to be, in a sense.. They wanted the gritty space ninja, insurgency thing going on in a single player format..But their publisher balked at the idea and said it wouldin't sell because this is after Dead Space came out and they didn't want to directly compete with that game..so they took a more grounded approach at the idea.

I think with that in mind, you really shouldn't try to draw a lot of parallels between dark sector and warframe.

Here's the original trailer for Dark Sector. It kind of shows that Warframe was something they've had in mind for a long time, and with the advent of F2P and some finagling around, and liberties taken with this new format, they were able to make it.

I think that would have been a fun game.. And if they focused their creativity and art talent on a focused narrative from the perspective of one player it would have been one hell of a game. But there is nothing that can be done about that now.

wow the grineer relations...

lol.. You mean like, Jackal?

I also like how they're all ugly no lips having soliders, then the shy guy mask flips down when things get real.

You see the lotus - warframe relationship in this preview. The story seems more grounded despite having so much mystique as to when this took place, or where. It's the classic rebellious insurgent tale, and it would have done really well if they executed it with the same attention to detail as the game we know now.

I still think they should make a middle-ground singleplayer game set in this universe, seeing as how they've spread their namesake around the consoles, with the sort of morphing techocyte style excalibur you see in this preview. Or maybe something similar.. I think it'd be a great opportunity  to get their brand out there.. I mean they have an immeasurable amount of assets and set pieces to use. A suite of weapons they could just sort of remodel..there are numerous opportunities to ground the lore in Warframe, while exploring the circumstances before they hid in the void before they were reawoken.. I mean they have nearly everything they need..just would have to script the events and assemble the levels..hire some writers to congeal the lore pieces together.

Meh. I'll prepare myself for the onslaught of rejection.

/hides

A lot of accident and unintended creations... but all seems meant to be, though of course it's always easily to say after the facts. 

But Warframe may have not done well around that time; with that existing gaming technology, and ideas and concept may not be received well either, I don't think. Even the conceived DS, though now we think not bad, couldn't do well at that time either, possibly marketing shortcoming and other similar competitors were drowning them out. And another major issue was the other big publishers were breathing down DE's necks.

DE was not able to be independent until Warframe. Even then they were asking for donations (through the founder pack) to upstart the game and keep them alive. It was just like, the right time and the right moment... and DE didn't give up. Also what make Warframe great today is the flexibility that DE has and can respond to the community and make major adjustment and developments to the game as needed. 

A lot of accident and unintended creations... but all seems meant to be, though of course it's always easily to say after the facts. 

But Warframe may have not done well around that time; with that existing gaming technology, and ideas and concept may not be received well either, I don't think. Even the conceived DS, though now we think not bad, couldn't do well at that time either, possibly marketing shortcoming and other similar competitors were drowning them out. And another major issue was the other big publishers were breathing down DE's necks.

DE was not able to be independent until Warframe. Even then they were asking for donations (through the founder pack) to upstart the game and keep them alive. It was just like, the right time and the right moment... and DE didn't give up. Also what make Warframe great today is the flexibility that DE has and can respond to the community and make major adjustment and developments to the game as needed. 

Warframe? No it would've sucked.

But a narrative driven single player game set in the environment, with funding from a publisher? I think it would have done well. I wasin't implying that warframe, the co-op style game would've worked in that era..

Hell it took EA and Mass Effect multiplayer to demonstrate that there is demand for such a thing.