Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Miss The Old Melee Charged Attacks

7grims

Melee 2.0 was a not worth time programming. It did not add anything to the game. Most people do not use it. Those who do, quite often complain about the combos.

False. The melee 2.0 system added more depth into the game and made melee way more viable than it would've been with charge attacks.

Right now we just spam E instead of spam hold-E.

The problem hasn't been fixed, it's just been moved.

Every time someone mentions that we spam E, I say "You spam the left mouse button".

False. The melee 2.0 system added more depth into the game and made melee way more viable than it would've been with charge attacks.

Every time someone mentions that we spam E, I say "You spam the left mouse button".

And it's not a bad thing. But people like vaugahn think it is.

Interesting, I vastly prefer melee 2,0 over the old "wzzzzzzz....chop" charge attacks. The old charge attacks made every weapon too similar in usage. Now there is more variety in them and more weapons are viable.

I agree though that the polearm stances are a bit lacking, still dont get why DE stubbornly makes more stances for Nikanas and claws when the old ones are so bare bones.....

I dont see varaety at all in the new system, I only see worthless weapons (heavy melee), that are now not worth playing, cause they dont give you all the damage charged attacks did. Cause hell, I will not use channeling at ever, not a worthy trade off.

before melee 2.0 i never use it after 2.0 i still never use it.

the only reason i still have a melee wepon with me is that i need the last matery point from then. When i will have those point i never going to have a melee weapon with me. What are their use its simpler to switch to secondary and blast your way throught over taking the risk of getting shot and die from it. Since most of the melee weapon are lack luster in raw strenght and when there are 30 heavy gunner around you well it is bound to go bad on you.

Even if they brought back the charge attack (i don't mind that more fun for somebody else) you need the reach mod to actully hit something with half the weapon (with the gaunthlet wepon that mod is a must since 3 hit out of 4 are in the wind).

I'm sorry, but chanelling is by no means a useless glowy modding thingy. 

To say this shows that you clearly don't know how powerful chanelling can truly be. 

Sorry but, it is a useless glowy thingy.

I wouldn't ever waist my energy for making a useless channel attack with melee, when I can use that energy on a effective power that is better in all ways to kill-cripple-stun all the enemies around me.

Even thought the damage with channeling is far superior, and deals huge damage, my energy is for powers.

Charged attacks would give you amazing damage blows, only costing stamina.

And whiteout charged attacks I see no point of having slow weapons (heavy melee).

Right now we just spam E instead of spam hold-E.

The problem hasn't been fixed, it's just been moved.

The new system makes quick attacks a thing, which gives greater combat flexibility. Before it was just "run around, hold E once for each enemy", now you actually have some control over your attacks and your movement between targets. 

Also, "people like me"? I'm expressing my opinion, no need to get all prickly. I didn't say I was against charge attacks returning, I just don't want charge-only monobuilds to come back. 

I like the concept of channeling, but I don't really like that it uses up energy to be used, especially for the fact that the energy cost increases for each enemy hit with the attack.

Combos make the combat more entertaining in the way it looks, not letting you see one single very slow attack over and over. The problem is that pulling off the different combos can be quite a callenge or even downright impossible with high attack speeds.

I would much prefer it if channeling used something different like stamina since that would give stamina mods more purpose and give us a more obvious reason why Valkyr has more stamina than other warframes. The problem of that is that stamina would make it too easy to just spam channeling almost all the time... but maybe that wouldn't be too bad either...

Maybe a completely new resource for channeling would be needed that builds up slowly, but having too many resources in the UI isn't too good either since no one likes interfaces with 10 different bars for all kinds of stuff in a shooter.

The likely easiest option would be to change how the game calculates the energy drain since it's a simple fact that the cost for using channeling is too high to serve any purpose since using abilities is the better alternative to spend your energy on in almost any case. The game should only check IF you hit an enemy, not how many of them you hit. It would encourage players to use channeling when they can kill several enemies at once with it. In this case long range weapons would be on top of the list of channeling weapons since they can get the most hits out of the same energy.

Now that I see a couple of you talking about combos, I also think the combo system is quite crappy.

What they told us they were going to do in melee 2.0 and what they delivered was disappointing.

And yet all I expected from melee 2.0 was exactly how they made on archwing melee attacks, combos connect between enemies.

they added air charge atk to perform the classic ground slam

i dont ssee any reason to not add back the charge atk

sso many ways to ,make it "not spamable friendly)

also the power feeling with mele weapons often come with the charge mech

The new system makes quick attacks a thing, which gives greater combat flexibility. Before it was just "run around, hold E once for each enemy", now you actually have some control over your attacks and your movement between targets. 

Also, "people like me"? I'm expressing my opinion, no need to get all prickly. I didn't say I was against charge attacks returning, I just don't want charge-only monobuilds to come back. 

Didn't intend to be prickly, apologies if that's how I came off.

I just don't see a difference between builds focusing purely on charge attacks versus builds focusing purely on quick attacks versus builds focusing purely on channeling. It's all the same playstyle with a different mechanic.

Didn't intend to be prickly, apologies if that's how I came off.

I just don't see a difference between builds focusing purely on charge attacks versus builds focusing purely on quick attacks versus builds focusing purely on channeling. It's all the same playstyle with a different mechanic.

Quick attacks are much quicker. Which should be obvious, but it has a significant impact on the flow of melee gameplay. 

There are some improvements to be made to the combo system (less pause combos, shorter combos that can be strung together) but overall I'd take a quick attack meta over a charge attack meta any day. It just feels better. 

Sorry but, it is a useless glowy thingy.

I wouldn't ever waist my energy for making a useless channel attack with melee, when I can use that energy on a effective power that is better in all ways to kill-cripple-stun all the enemies around me.

Even thought the damage with channeling is far superior, and deals huge damage, my energy is for powers.

Charged attacks would give you amazing damage blows, only costing stamina.

And whiteout charged attacks I see no point of having slow weapons (heavy melee).

Come to me in a mission and you'll see how powerful chanelling is. With heavy melee.

There is a reason why we have channeling efficiency mods. Use them.

Come to me in a mission and you'll see how powerful chanelling is. With heavy melee.

There is a reason why we have channeling efficiency mods. Use them.

I cant even argument, I simply wont use it, ever, and don't see it, at all, as a worthy trade off.

And I will not waist mod slots for efficiency for a system I think is poor, when I can equip other useful stuff.

Sorry but a bad thing, is just bad.

I cant even argument, I simply wont use it, ever, and don't see it, at all, as a worthy trade off.

And I will not waist mod slots for efficiency for a system I think is poor, when I can equip other useful stuff.

Sorry but a bad thing, is just bad.

I don't think channeling is terrible...but you're right, it's just not worth it on most weapons. On certain weapons it's excellent, but on weapons with low base damage it doesn't feel terribly useful. 

I'd like a mix of charge attacks and channeling, on a weapon-by-weapon basis. 

I'd use channeling more if the made it so mods like quickening had more bonus effect and less bad negative effects like -90% for only +20% melee speed boost? make it +20% attack speed -40% channeling efficiency or +35% attack speed with -90% efficiency then we can talk....Charge attacks never had problems like this.....

huh this thread is very similar to the one i made back in august named "Who Misses charge attacks?" which now has about 9k views and 500 comments, but yours is in more detail.

Link to the thread:  https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/293722-who-misses-charge-attackswith-idea-of-how-to-return-them/

Cool, hope peeps see your tread too now, we need the coolness of melee back, or at least it's best useful part.

----

I'd like a mix of charge attacks and channeling, on a weapon-by-weapon basis. 

Just now I was realizing one of the problems we have with melee 2.0

Back then attacks and charged attacks could be used on the spot, right when you needed, even if you were holding a gun.

I got nothing against the melee mode, its cool, cause it adds defense/parry, but now we can only use channeling and combos when on this mode, so in a part, we are also missing all that quick action.

I never find myself hurting for energy on my frames at higher level content unless it's against infested and their stupid amounts of parasitic eximi. 

But that's mainly because the frames I play seriously always have the Rage mod on them. It's probably the most useful mod I've ever used by itself. 

And no, I do not use Quick Thinking on most of my frames. (It's only Nekros and Excal that I have that on) 

Edited by Hastur609