Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe, The Removable And Unnecessary?

LadyScootaloo

The title was bait.

Though it is completely related.

There are a lot of things that are in this game, that, for whatever reasons, don't add to the game and serve little productive purpose.

------

e.g. people(?), arc traps, friendship doors, those rope things where you slide on em, etc.

Things that may have had some intended function before but quickly became irrelevant, mainly.

------

So far, I've gotten...

Traps - Stop rushers? The only people who stop for this are the peeps who can't afford heavy runner builds... (newbies?)

Friendship Doors - Forcing peeps to wait for peeps. Is this okay? We either don't have enough or don't want it at all...

Slidey rope things - They're slow. If they want to make copter a thing, then this is now useless. (it was already useless)

Stamina cost for sprinting. - you only sprint during melee or between fights. Gun fights naturally have to pause anyway...

Microtransaction for Plat>Credits - 30plat for 9000creds. Feels off.

Weekly leaderboards - This, I'm not certain of, but, maybe make it monthly, with a reward or something. It's pretty dull right now.

(also needs announcements for winners or something...)

Parkour - We only use wall runs to scale heights that were placed there. It's not very gratifying to use and pretty sticky...

------

Can you see any reason why such things were implemented? (or could use more work as they may be useless now?)

Is there anything else that fits this category?

Edited by LadyScootaloo

This gave me a good laugh some of the things you mention are annoying. Instead of getting rid of them they can improve, remember this game was built on coop, so it has to have situations where you would have to rely on others. 

Hey Scoot haven't seen your name in a while. XD

Edited by Boricua_Knight52

Arctraps never stopped rushers. The exact opposite was the case, although on Saturn they often contained Orokin-cells (which made me wonder why almost noone cared to destroy them).

The ropes to me always seemed like a humorous gadget, to make Players smile about the Ninjas-in-space-theme. It certainly makes for a fun cutscene.

Wall-runs are also used to execute powerful melee-strikes (wall-attacks).

Micro-transactions are a thing everyone has to decide on his/her own. If someone wants to actually trade platinum for credits, let him, I wouldn't. If it feels off to you, you should realize that it's not an unfair offer. You're not forced to buy credits. Just earn them in-game.

How is stamina-cost on sprinting worth mentioning?

And leaderboards are just leaderboards. In the 80's you didn't get a reward for entering your high-score on arcade-machines. You showed it to your friends and that's it.

The problem is, if you start removing things then you will have just another incredibly boring run and gun. There are already hundreds, if not thousands, of those types of game.

While this game might not be the most ground breaking step into innovation, the things the game does gives it a certain charm.

I'd rather they didn't turn it into another generic cover based TPS.

While this game might not be the most ground breaking step into innovation, the things the game does gives it a certain charm.

Innovation? In an industry that has basically seen everything already, innovation will be hard to achieve and even harder to make out. What feature in any modern game is truly new? Tell me if you know, because I honestly don't. I can't recall a single thing I've never seen before in the last 10 years aside from art-styles and certain genre-mixes (which is still a mix of things players already KNOW).

The only notable thing many of the better games among them do is to either combine and/or refine things to make them more fluid or diverse, and in this regard Warframe shines with a signature art-style, versatile gunplay and interesting mobility in playerhands. It focuses on actual gameplay first, that's why story and lore are rarely seen so far.

Edited by RedEyedRaven

I'll take a crack at this

Arc Traps: Present a unique Enviromental Hazard that break up the monotony of running through Grineer Ships

Friendship Doors: It is a coop game, if you're rushing ahead and killing everything/completing all objectives on your own, that's not really coop is it?

ZIp Lines: Because Zip Lines are cool.

Stamina Cost for Sprinting: It's another way to counter rushers and also forces you to make a choice, do you run and use up stamina potentially leaving yourself unable to do melee and various Parkour Elements or do you slow down and keep yourself ready?

Plat to Credits Microtransaction: It's another way for DE to make money and gives players an option if they don't want to get credits.

Weekly Leaderboards: People like to brag and show that they are better than other players, this allows them to. Though adding in a reward is actually a good idea

Parkour: Well we are space ninjas, therefor we need to be able to do ninja stuff, it also gives DE more options when making maps/tilesets. Like the Grineer Galleon where you can either go around the Lava Pits or Wall Jump over them, neither option is necessarily better but it does give the players more choice.

The title was bait.

You lost the game :)

I don't know if there's anything I'd consider completely superfluous, if you're referring to obvious non-sequiturs. If you mean in terms of underdeveloped gameplay features, though, then I think there are a few around. Like Kubrows (oh I went there).

But this is largely subjective, and we then need to take care not to fall into a slippery slope of 'this thing was removed, so this thing must also be removed because it's almost as useless too!'. Using features and small bits to diversify the game from just another point-and-click is treacherously entwined with a few things we might consider useless.

I would, however, argue that almost all of those items pointed out don't need to be taken out as a concept to improve the game. If, say, map levels were larger in scope (not necessarily to make them relevant, but for other reasons) to require slidey rope things (ziplines) then we'll have added functionality to what I agree on as a needlessly contrived thing. What we should be looking at is redesigning and making things relevant, not necessarily taking them out, but I get where you're coming from :)

Edited by Vastaren

need, 4 players friendship doors, door locks related to cameras, lasers that completely stop you rather then make you fall over, make coptering combat related rather then speed boost (heavy weapons of the 2 large blades things) remove all the run speed mods and make rushers either quit, or actually play.

Moved to a more appropriate section.

My thanks.

Another one to add now that I've been reminded : the camera system...

Even now, I realize it doesn't add to my team games, since we're quick about it and it's just more of a bother that needs to be dealt with.

In pub games it's either the same or it's going to be that it will be the most annoying part about playing with randoms.

Cameras actually discourage random play...

The doors and traps are to prevent rushers as they can screw up missions for the rest of the squad.

Putting the 'some people actually prefer having someone rush' thing aside, this is only more apparent in team games.

Even so, it doesn't stop rushers.

Traps have almost never been able to stop rushers. They simply don't represent enough of a threat.

Parkour - We only use wall runs to scale heights that were placed there. It's not very gratifying to use and pretty sticky...

------

Can you see any reason why such things were implemented? (or could use more work as they may be useless now?)

Is there anything else that fits this category?

Parkour is very important in PvP and to deal with infested.( Can't hit what's never standing still.)  It helps us melee freaks so much when we can wall run up and do a vertical slash with our blades. It also allows us to make the combat in PvE entertaining and more like  spectacle fighter (air combos soon please.) 

The movement is one of the few things keeping things interesting because it sure as hell aint the shoddy lore, love. 

need, 4 players friendship doors, door locks related to cameras, lasers that completely stop you rather then make you fall over, make coptering combat related rather then speed boost (heavy weapons of the 2 large blades things) remove all the run speed mods and make rushers either quit, or actually play.

On the contrary, I find slow players even worse for the gameplay experience than rushers. How about we have a feature where we begin despawning old chunks of the map and people who are slow get killed and have to revive? I hope you're trolling and not serious.

Parkour is very important in PvP and to deal with infested.( Can't hit what's never standing still.)  It helps us melee freaks so much when we can wall run up and do a vertical slash with our blades. It also allows us to make the combat in PvE entertaining and more like  spectacle fighter (air combos soon please.) 

The movement is one of the few things keeping things interesting because it sure as hell aint the shoddy lore, love. 

It's way too sticky to do much while leaping around and most of it involves you moving slowly...

It's shoddy. Especially when compared to the usage of parkour in other games.

It's way too sticky to do much while leaping around and most of it involves you moving slowly...

It's shoddy. Especially when compared to the usage of parkour in other games.

Not even that shoddy. It's not smooth, make no mistake. But in PvP. The ability to copter kick someone in the mouth then aim down and press e to instantly kill them goes a long way. Or even wall run juke is too invaluable. 

Instead of removing stuff, why don't we just improve it?

At least for parkour, that's something this game offers that could be a relatively unique feature. Expanding on the mobility of our frames and making parkour more fluid could be really cool.

Considering the fact that Parkour is completely useless at the moment, yes it would be really cool if they'd expand on one of the main features of the game that they are also using to market their game... I agree with that. 

Wall-runs are also used to execute powerful melee-strikes (wall-attacks).

Buggy, unreliable and redundant like the wall-running itself. By the time you might've hit your target with a wall-strike (If you were lucky and it didn't bug out), you could've already shot 3 arrows from a Paris Prime or Dread into the targets face. 

Edited by TwiceDead

Considering the fact that Parkour is completely useless at the moment, yes it would be really cool if they'd expand on one of the main features of the game that they are also using to market their game... I agree with that. 

Buggy, unreliable and redundant like the wall-running itself. By the time you might've hit your target with a wall-strike (If you were lucky and it didn't bug out), you could've already shot 3 arrows from a Paris Prime or Dread into the targets face. 

Unless Melee somehow dishes out more damage than any gun ever could, this will always be true. 

Interestingly enough the newest event gave me a newfound appreciation of stamina (and parkour elements) as a mechanic and stat to gear for.

Realizing that eventually my health, powers, and shields would be useless, I aimed to build a max stamina max speed max recovery melee build to handle soloing all 15 runs. By focusing on sprinting, parkour, blocking, and melee, everything was a breeze to zip through.