Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Earning Mastery Ranks Yield Better Rewards?

Rollerlane

+1

That looks awesome.

Except the "nothing" part. It seems out of place. I mean: you could at least get some useless thing, like 20k credits or something, which is less that a t3 run, yet it's something

EDIT: Unique Mastery Rank Syadanas. srsly. Nobody notices badges. Everybody notices dangling space scarfs.

Edited by bodyshk

Heres my 2p (GBP) lol

In my opinion what makes a good F2P game if you can still call them that is,

everything should be assessable without spending money, sounds crazy i know. i know DE are out to make money that is the way of the world.

However people that are impatient etc will still spend money on this game, people will still want slots quicker than grinding for them i have seen it many times over in my gaming career (lol) people will still buy plat to trade to get mod cards without the hard work.

those of us who are too tight (in my case) or too poor to spend hard earned cash on games can still get everything else the same as others, but we will just have to work that little bit harder to achieve it. this will improve DE's image too making them look like its not just about the money.

Also people will feel more likely to spend money on something if they feel it is a choice and not forced upon them,

i have spent plat on this game once or twice and that was because i felt i had to just to progress in this game.

so that to me makes it seam less like a F2P game as i couldn't really progress without buying weapon and frame slots.

yeah i have since found out how to make plat without spending money via trade etc but i feel that it is impossible to get to that point without spending real money on a F2P game.

Just my opinion and im sure many with not agree with me, but i have seen games evolve over the years to this kinda thing

Cannon

I have played a lot of Diablo 3 lately and I think the idea of Portrait decorated borders with higher mastery ranks would be a nice little bonus with higher master levels included with other reward items that have been suggested in the thread. 

Edited by Graphx

Exactly, mastery rank shouldn't give something you can already obtain in game, but a special token of your level.

Why not a badge to proudly show your mastery rank?

You know, the ones that now are achievements.

^

This

+1 to the max.

As someone who enjoys having something shiney to stand out among other players, this would be what I want to see.  Give me something to let me show players my seniority as a player.  We already have those event badges, why not some sort of fancy shoulder armor?  I like the idea of having special weapon skin, but the issue with that is: What if I don't use the weapon that the skin is for?  Then it just gets to sit and be unused.  It would be great if DE could make a special skins for EVERY weapon, but that's way too much work.

As long as Mastery Ranks are tied to grinding out gear you don't enjoy, anything after MR 10 I simply can't support the prospect of adding in rewards. 

With MR10 it'd ensure you try out every frame to get a well rounded sense for how they play (Assuming you don't just over specialize the frame like most of the playerbase seems to be...) and since everyone is always crazy about the primes, it's not a hard thing to get to this mastery level just by trying all the characters while finding weapons you enjoy.

But this is my gripe with mastery to begin with. More often than not it's a chore designed around grinding out gear you simply don't like to use, then throwing it away and returning to your old weapons while something equally disappointing is being built in the foundry. 

I definitely think so. i've noticed after ranking up each mastery you dont really unlock anything, except "now i can use this thing" or "now i can craft that thing" although it does get me to play more (im mastery 5 trying to get to 6 just for the Soma) it would better if you actually unlocked something you could use, so heres what i think should be unlocked;

Discounts. because why not

Weapon slots. because deleting weapons just to get another and continue to rank up is annoying and bad game design

Warframe slots. since you only have 2 at the start and 1 is taken by the Frame you choose at the beginning, so after you get another one your Warframe experience is over unless you buy another slot

note that this geared towards people who cannot spend money on this game, so any comments like "no because you can just buy everything!" will be completely ignored

heres a graph of how i think the unlocks should work;

Mastery 1: Nothing

Mastery 2: 5% off Discount for 48 Hours

Mastery 3: Weapon Slot *EDIT* Some Weapon Blueprint

Mastery 4: Warframe Slot *EDIT* Some Warframe Blueprint

Mastery 5: Nothing

Mastery 6: 10% off Discount for 48 Hours

Mastery 7: Weapon Slot

Mastery 8: Warframe Slot

Mastery 9: Nothing

Mastery 10: 15% off Discount for 72 Hours

Mastery 11: Weapon Slot

Mastery 12: Warframe Slot

Mastery 13: Nothing

Mastery 14: 20% off Discount for 72 Hours

Mastery 15: Weapon Slot / Orokin Catalyst

Mastery 16: Warframe Slot / Orokin Reactor

Mastery 17: Weapon Slot / Warframe Slot

this way players have something to look forward to when they are playing and it makes them want to keep playing to unlock the rewards and it keeps them engaged with the game

I really don't like the discount thing, I mean i'm a vet player and 5% isn't squat, especially if your a newbie. We should have weapon slots, weapon BP, and warframe slots EVERY OTHER level. It's ridiculous how we have to delete weps for more weps so I just went to the trade chat, got around 50 extra plat from some stuff and bought a bunch of wep slots and WF slots, and it's still not enough unless you want to delete weapons you actually like. 

ok, here is my $0.02 and I already know that it is going to get flamed. What I would like to see for mastery rank 15 is a device that if equipped renders your warframe invulnerable to other warframe abilities (with the exception of NPCs like stalker). This would be convenient in that I could no longer be griefed. I would also like to see at higher levels of mastery consumable items that allow repolarization of all polarized slots on a frame or weapon without taking it back to rank zero. I would also love to see/have the ability to fuse/seperate 2 mods. For example: fuse max serration and heavy caliber into 1 mod. The fused mod might have slightly less stats than the two individually. I would also like to see consumable items that increase the chance of mini-boss spawns. I agree with the roller that slots need to be kept paid. I am trying to solve the larger problems I see in game (not enough mod slots, griefing, dealing with the evolution of the game). Mastery might be a great way to do that. Flame on!

I don't like it. I think it is great to get rewards out of something that you worked on. However the mastery rank is nothing that can be considered as something where you have to work for. You just buy some new random stuff and level it up. It's nothing special neither it's something that really shows players strength. 

People join missions with crap gear just to level it up and get a higher mastery rank for getting a great reward. NO. NO. NO.

I highly like the idea of Mastery Rank affecting game-play. Im on the first rail car on the "Focus system" Hype train. In my opionion i believe that there should be more weapons locked till higher tiers and there should be more insentives added to get people to want to reach them.

On another note, i believe that Mastery Rank Tests should be more challenging. a combination of added challenge and Rewards (no matter how small.) would be a very big approvment in my opinion. Thank-you.

Regarding weapon/warframe slots; when the closed beta launched, there were 8 warframes and ~30 weapons, the starting number of slots was enough to have a decent arsenal but not enough to have everything.

Now we have 20 warfames (not counting primes) and ~150 weapons (total number of weapons is 173, but some are no longer available), an extra slot or two won't make much difference (they don't even have to be mastery rank rewards, they could just be an increase in the default number of slots).

Edited by Playford

Something i have largely thought about ... mastery rank could be a permanent reduction to all platinium trades.

Not a package price reduction - no, a price reduction.

They could also make ranks badges.

And i do defintly agree with frames/weapons slots.

Colors palettes could be unlocked. Or at least unlock columns of the default palette.

Whats is needed for MR system:

1. I have high hopes for that Focus system people been talking about everywhere. Hope we`ll see it in U15.

2. Totally change MR requirements for Prime gear. Right now to hit MR 5 is a joke, can be done in a week. And we have like 2 items, that require rank 8, half of the possible way of evolving a space ninja, its just not right.

3. Make some nice rewards for completing MR tests, not necessary gear and cosmetics, but maybe Badges is a good idea after all? If not every level, than every 3 or 5 levels (retroactive plz ^_^)

How about the possibility of DE offering some new weapons that are a little OP, but locking them to higher ML?  As new weapons continue to be released, the MR required to use them could be increased -occasionally- to encourage players to stay with the game.

This would reward veterans, make the higher levels veterans typically play on a little easier (for unskilled thudpuckers like myself).

How about the possibility of DE offering some new weapons that are a little OP, but locking them to higher ML?  As new weapons continue to be released, the MR required to use them could be increased -occasionally- to encourage players to stay with the game.

This would reward veterans, make the higher levels veterans typically play on a little easier (for unskilled thudpuckers like myself).

While that might sound good on paper, such a thing being implemented would be really unfortunate for someone who likes a non OP weapon. Adding more and more intentionally "OP" weapons into the game and locking them behind a high mastery wall will eventually result in DE having to add tougher enemies to keep up a challenge. Which is going to punish those who would like other weapons. It would basically be opening the door to power creep and asking it in for tea. Eventually the goal wouldn't be trying out cool weapons, finding one you like, and making it work. Instead it would be to level up enough "trash" to get the OP weapons so that you can destroy the next layer of content. Granted, that might be the goal for some even at present. But it's not the goal for all and while the current balance isn't exactly even, it is still a thing that deserves respect.

i dont think they would ever make affinity boosters as rewards to anything since people actually buy a lot of those to rank up

The Avalanche Offensive and Oxium Espionage events both gave boosters, so I think that makes them fair game.

Also, I disagree with the plat discounts because:

I have a hard time parting with money with a 20% discount...I still do.... but a 5%,10% and 15% discount is laughable.

Even 20% isn't a worthwhile discount.  It's a marketing ploy; and I don't think a marketing ploy qualifies as a "reward".

My main account has 800+ hours of play time and is MR15.  A few days ago I started a second account just to see what it's like to be a new player.  I can say without a doubt that new players struggle for credits and fusion cores early on.  Ranking up the first few mods is alright, but there is a stretch where a new player simply can't progress anywhere.  You equipment doesn't get any better because, unless traditional games where things get better as they level, players need to collect two commodities - credits and fusion cores - in addition to leveling up their gear.

Once you get to Jupiter and Saturn, very easy to do and I would say outright expected before MR3, common 3 fusion cores become fairly easy to acquire, it's not such a struggle to collect mods as fusion fodder, and uncommon 5 cores show up every now and then.  But it's hard to build new weapons that typically cost upwards of 40,000 credits including both BP and crafting costs.  MR1 and MR2 should reward credit sums, perhaps 15,000 and 25,000 respectively.  MR1 should also include a common 3 fusion core bundle and MR 2 should award some common 3s and an uncommon 5.  MR3 should aware the same things as MR2, as well as two weapon inventory slots and a Warframe slot.

I agree that inventory slots, at the very least, should be given out as MR rewards.  Actually, I'm of the opinion that with all the new cosmetics and other things to buy, Warframe doesn't need to charge for basic inventory slots anymore.  I think DE should focus on selling these cosmetics to new players rather than forcing them to decide whether to spend money to keep playing the game or selling weapons that they've worked to build and level up.

Catalysts and Reactors would make good MR rewards - but perhaps staring at MR5 and up.  The reason being that new players will probably buy at least one of these items with platinum and might be included to purchase platinum to get more.  Handing them these items with MR ranks will probably disrupt this and might make players feel cheated that they went out and bought an item and the next day got it for free.  New players also don't need a great deal of them; but it would help older players with more weapons if Reactors and Catalysts trickled in a little faster.

Some people in this thread have also mentioned color pickers, and I think this is fair as well.  Other threads have discussed making the Classic picker cheaper (since you already have a chunk of it unlocked) or making it available for credits.  I think giving out chunks of the Classic picker for the first few MRs in addition to other rewards is a very good idea.  I think the whole Classic color picker should be unlocked by MR3 at the latest.

That covers MR1 - 3.  Maybe MR4 should reward a BP for a retired weapon - the Gorgon, Glaive, Machete, any of them.  Maybe even a restatted/refluffed/redesigned Snipetron.  Just to reward players for coming this far.  Maybe this is the point where it drops a little booster, too.

From MR5 and up, I think it's fair to start giving random rewards - credits, resources, a booster every now and then, and Reactor/Catalyst/Forma BPs.  These are things that older players will regularly need, and it wouldn't hurt to let them trickle in a little faster.  This can replace or be in addition to regular credit and fusion core handouts.  

The one retired weapon at MR4 is the only one I would give out.  DE has given a fair reason for keeping a number of weapons in the vault, and I don't think the vault should be emptied any time soon.  That said, I don't like the idea of weapon and Warframe BPs as MR rewards.  Once you have the weapon, the BP because just a measly credit reward when you sell it.  And I don't think it's fair to surprise players with a blueprint they already worked up the money to buy and the resources to build; I think it's safe to say that almost nobody is happy when they get a Dual Zoren BP the day after they build it.  If anything it's actually frustrating - do you honestly expect me to be happy in the slightest when I work hard to get something and the next day you give me a second one I can't use for free?

About mods as MR rewards:  While there are some mods that wouldn't hurt as MR rewards (basic but hard-to-get mods like Heavy Impact, Aviator, Maglev, etc. - "fun" mods that aren't necessarily "good" mods), I don't think essential mods (Serration, Hornet Strike, Power stat mods, etc.) should be given out as rewards.  I think players should work specifically towards getting these mods and have to consciously earn them; but I also think the RNG should be taken out for basic mods.  A section of the market that sells unbroken versions of the broken mods, as well as random daily deals on essential mods like flat damage, elemental damage, and other weapon statistics, would be a much better avenue for this.  It would let players work towards essential mods they same way they work towards weapons:  they see the one they want, they look up what they need, and they set about collecting the money/resources in whatever way they see fit.

Also, this is one that I would literally kill another human being to get my hands on:

Not sure if you mentioned this yet, but I think all those fancy icons for mastery levels would make really nice progression badges...

Edited by FrackingBiscuit

Weapon, warframe and companion slots do make a lot of sence to have as players grow in mastery.  Mastery grows by ranking up weapons and warframes.  So being more diverse with gear, gives more mastery thus gaining rewards directly related to being more diverse (ie slots) is a good way to go.  Personally I'd think something along the lines of for every 5 rank block getting one warframe slot, one sentinal slot, and two weapon slots could be a good move (in whatever order doesnt realy make a difference).  (the end result is still onyl +6 warframe, +12 weapon and +6 sentinal slots by rank 30)

Not only will it help players diversify (thus gain more mastery) it can give them a little bit more incentive to maybe buy them as it could inspire the collection spirit.  Its also few enough that there is still a real incentive to actually purchase these slots, but doesnt keep them so few that it cripples players from keeping gear they actually like as they start having tried out more gear (thus increasing mastery) they will have more gear they want to keep.

It could even go so far as to let players decide what type of slot they actually want as a reward, thus they could have more weapon slots if they wanted but as a result would get less frame or sentinal slots (or whatever other combination they liked).

I also like the idea of having the classic colour pallet unlocked for players in the eairly ranks too (maybe as a rank 3 reward) as that would give them some further customisation options.

All in all players having more slots would make them more invested in the game.

Not to mention Warframe is constantly getting more weapons and frames, so to even have a chance at keeping a minor portion of them (without buying slots), slots do need to grow as the game does and mastery gives that growth inherently, by rewarding players to further invest by investing time in the first place, either way we look at it as warframe gear grows slots become more taxing on everyone, to free and paying players alike.

As it is, DE already gives almost everything away for free, if you just spend some time earning/crafting it. The only things you can't get in game are slots, color pallets, and some cosmetics. Every weapon, every warframe, even a lot of cosmetic items (alt helms, weapons skins, and even some holiday color pallets) are all available in game, for free. That's already an unprecedented and, as far as I know, unmatched level of free content in F2P games.

Actually you can essentially get everything for 'free' given you can get platinum for trading.  Sure someone is technically paying for that traded platinum, but why should only paying players be footing the bill for the slots for the free players while they still have to also pay for their own in the process.

i dont think they would ever make affinity boosters as rewards to anything since people actually buy a lot of those to rank up

They could make 1h affinity boosters just for login rewards and people would still buy the 30 days version from the shop. Why shouldn't they? I'm pretty sure that giving out 3 days boosters for events leads to a few extra sales when people notice, how much easier it becomes to (re-)level stuff.

Edited by Bibliothekar

loadouts slots are pathetic and are the most redundant thing ever in Warframe

No they are not, being able to quickly switch to a specific loadout for a specific task (including a specific build of a weapon) is a godsend. The amount of times I've ended up using the wrong mods for a mission just because I was in a rush to swap weapons and forgot to pick the right mod loadout for the weapon is just too many to count and hasn't exactly happened very much since I started using loadouts extensively.

This creates a clear separation between "messing with my loadouts" (which I do when not doing anything else) vs "grabbing the right tool for the mission that is about to launch", conflating the two results in mistakes.

i dont use them, my friends dont use them, they arent necessary and to me they are just for looks. and i wasnt disagreeing with you, all i said was they are useless. having them as rewards for spending the time to earn mastery ranks isnt rewarding at all. im open to all opinions, but im not going to 100% back up every single one of them

You are only MR5 (maybe 6 now), that gives you like two loadout slots? You really need more for them to be useful. Also you likely just don't have enough gear and mods to make the most out of them at that MR.

As to the suggestions in the OP: DE mostly makes money off of weapon/warframe so giving those away is just never going to happen (nor should it, imho). Discounts only benefit people actually able to spend money on the game, so I'm opposed to those as well.

I'd like to have more loadout slots (as suggested by someone else: 1 per MR would be awesome and might make them more useful to lower MR players, since they get so few they might as well not have any). The rest of the MR benefits are likely to come with the Focus system (if and when that arrives) other than that MR is just a barometer for experience (not necessarily skill though) which is fine by me.