Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Tiberon Be Considered A Bullpup Design?

[DE]Momaw

Do all bullpup weapons need to be short?

Name any real life bullpup style weapons that are not shorter than than their traditional counterparts.  The functional intent of a bullpup design is not to "look cool"; moving the magazine and action behind the trigger allows for a normal length barrel in a more compact and easier to maneuver package.

That's why I'm asking if Tiberon should be considered bullpup. It has one of the characteristics, but apparently not for the same reason.

In actual functionality, yes. The action and magazine are behind the trigger assembly.

MY question is WHY have a rifle of that length?

To me, it actually looks longer than Soma and Vectis. So long, 3 individual barrels, and... shark teeth on the end? Hmmm...

Wait a minute... How well would that work UNDERWATER?

Long barrels MIGHT mean more time for the propellant to work, so longer range through a denser medium than air. Shark teeth MIGHT be to stab with or cut with for slower close combat under water pressure. You don't want a lot of wasted movement underwater (I trained in underwater fighting for a bit, it's HARD), so the reload might work well too.

Then there is the name... Almost Spanish for 'Shark'.

(Edit) Action is in front of the grip, Magazine behind.

Edited by Kalenath

Name any real life bullpup style weapons that are not shorter than than their traditional counterparts.  The functional intent of a bullpup design is not to "look cool"; moving the magazine and action behind the trigger allows for a normal length barrel in a more compact and easier to maneuver package.

That's why I'm asking if Tiberon should be considered bullpup. It has one of the characteristics, but apparently not for the same reason.

"Shorter" does not mean "short".  Bullpup rifles do not need to be short.  They are shorter than comparable platforms if they use the same length barrel.  Bullpups do not need to use the same length barrel.  Bullpups actually have an advantage in that they can be the same length as a traditional rifle but have a longer barrel and therefore greater power and accuracy.  Also, short bullpups most frequently compete with carbines, and therefore they are not shorter than many of their "traditional counterparts".

The British L86A2 is a heavy-barreled 5.56mm platform based on the L85/SA80.  It is a bullpup weapon and is as long as other conventional rifles because of its 646mm barrel.

The M107 .50 caliber rifle is 48" long with a 20" barrel.  The XM500 is a bullpup successor; it it 46" long.  No-one would call 2" on a 48" a significant reduction in length.  The point of making the XM500 a bullpup was to keep the overall length and increase barrel length.

The definition of bullpup has nothing to do with being compact.  The magazine of the Tiberon is behind the trigger group; it is a bullpup.  The end.

That's why I'm sking if Tiberon should be considered bullpup. It has one of the characteristics, but apparently not for the same reason.

not to mention (in case of most bullpup designs) ambidextrous design.

• 2 weeks later...