Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will We Have The Ability To Disable Some Powers In U15?

Shimonoki_Ryuji

Why on earth would you want to disable abilities? You automatically get all four and there is no mod spot to equip them anymore. As someone above said, if you don't want to use a power, don't press the button.

The answer, kind sir, lies closer, than you might possibly imagine. If you properly do the math, it's exactly 2 posts behind yours.

I don't scroll. I have a Razor Naga mouse. It has number keys 1-12 (keyboard 1-0 with two more that do a thing) and it is fantastic. Anything with a hotbar or numbered skills is streamlined just enough to be worth the 50$ investment. Only time I use the wrong skill is when I derp, or I've been running defenses with Frost for too long.

If people are really adamant about sticking to 1-skill set ups. DE could give the option to let you move them around on the list (once there all unlocked). That way if you want to use your 4 skill and dislike having to scroll around you can move it up on the list to make it become your 1 skill instead.

Example

Standard

1: Well of life

2: Energy vampire

3: Link

4; Blessing

What you may want

1: Energy Vampire

2: Link

3: Blessing

4: Well of Life

just a thought

Edited by Keiga150

why not keep the damn ability cards but make unsellable/tradeable/deletable,  remove abilities from drop tables, no drain, etc

How is this relevant to the topic? And how would this help?

We're getting 8 slots for customization, and all 4 powers, in exchange for 2 slots. If you left the 4 powers in, you only have 6 to customize with.

I feel like people are really jumping the gun in replying to this topic. The OP's concern is more of an interface issue, dependent on his key configuration, rather than him just saying "Oh yeah, these powers are @$$. I swear, making me equip them is ruining my gameplay experience."

For the record: he isn't saying that.

It's more of a quality of life change. Think about it this way. I doubt there's many people that play with only the default key configurations, we've all changed a few keys here and there at least. Well, basically some people in this thread (saying to abandon the scroll wheel for 1,2,3,4) are all but saying "your configuration is wrong." It's like telling people that they are mandated to play with the default key configuration.

That is, it's akin to telling people that they should contort their fingers in order to execute slide attacks or wall attacks.

The scroll wheel happens to be comfortable for him, that's why he uses it. Hence, I think we should be accommodating towards what is comfortable to people instead of being so obstinate towards player preference, because this thread is about player preference and has little to no bearing on any sort of in-game balance.

It's offering a narrow-minded solution to a genuine problem. I think there is no problem in offering an optional disable button for some skills (there isn't a benefit to bringing fewer skills, in fact, it's more of a deficit at this point). I suppose the case can be made that it promotes one-button mashers, but at the same time, since the ability mod slots have been removed, there is absolutely no bonus in having fewer skills over all of them.

EDIT:

How is this relevant to the topic? And how would this help?

We're getting 8 slots for customization, and all 4 powers, in exchange for 2 slots. If you left the 4 powers in, you only have 6 to customize with.

I think he means that Abilities are equipped with no bearing on actual mod slots and are really only there as "tokens" to show whether or not the ability is equipped.

Like a separate page that you can only put abilities on, which would just function the same as saying which abilities you want to equip and would not have adverse affects on the actual Warframe mod slots.

Edited by Otenko

I think OP's playstyle is the issue. Why should DE wasting time for someone who could just bind his mouse buttons?

Imagine clickers in MMOs start a topic that the game is unfair because the interface hinders them aiming, clicking and moving at the same time.

Not everything has to be done.

EDIT: As he is playing now, he has to move the scroll wheel and push the button to use the ability. That means two inputs for activating an ability, three inputs if he has three abilities. Come on...

Even a simple mouse bind would make it better.

Edited by SIDESTRE4M

Just don't use them: problem solved.

I have all mine hotkeyed, so interface isn't a problem. Frankly, if you're not using hotkeys in a fast paced PC game, you're doing it wrong.

And, yeah, I'll still have no use for psychic bolts on Nyx and won't have any issue not using them.

Not seeing a problem here.

If people are really adamant about sticking to 1-skill set ups. DE could give the option to let you move them around on the list (once there all unlocked). That way if you want to use your 4 skill and dislike having to scroll around you can move it up on the list to make it become your 1 skill instead.

Example

Standard

1: Well of life

2: Energy vampire

3: Link

4; Blessing

What you may want

1: Energy Vampire

2: Link

3: Blessing

4: Well of Life

just a thought

Well, there's no way of making people use all 4 skills, because around half of them are relatively garbage. The 1-skill builds will stay, it will just be more difficult to build them. That is all it's gonna change. Nothing more :/

I feel like people are really jumping the gun in replying to this topic. The OP's concern is more of an interface issue, dependent on his key configuration, rather than him just saying "Oh yeah, these powers are @$$. I swear, making me equip them is ruining my gameplay experience."

For the record: he isn't saying that.

It's more of a quality of life change. Think about it this way. I doubt there's many people that play with only the default key configurations, we've all changed a few keys here and there at least. Well, basically some people in this thread (saying to abandon the scroll wheel for 1,2,3,4) are all but saying "your configuration is wrong." It's like telling people that they are mandated to play with the default key configuration.

That is, it's akin to telling people that they should contort their fingers in order to execute slide attacks or wall attacks.

The scroll wheel happens to be comfortable for him, that's why he uses it. Hence, I think we should be accommodating towards what is comfortable to people instead of being so obstinate towards player preference, because this thread is about player preference and has little to no bearing on any sort of in-game balance.

It's offering a narrow-minded solution to a genuine problem. I think there is no problem in offering an optional disable button for some skills (there isn't a benefit to bringing fewer skills, in fact, it's more of a deficit at this point). I suppose the case can be made that it promotes one-button mashers, but at the same time, since the ability mod slots have been removed, there is absolutely no bonus in having fewer skills over all of them.

EDIT:

I think he means that Abilities are equipped with no bearing on actual mod slots and are really only there as "tokens" to show whether or not the ability is equipped.

Like a separate page that you can only put abilities on, which would just function the same as saying which abilities you want to equip and would not have adverse affects on the actual Warframe mod slots.

Right, it's not gonna ruin the game, but it's definitely gonna leave a bitter aftertaste, making the game for me less enjoyable, than it is now.

As for the lack of benefit over bringing less skills, that you were talking about, i honestly don't see any deficit in dishing out something, that you don't want and will not use anyway.

Again, for new players and on low levels, each ability is all fun and new and effective. The more one plays the game, the more understands what is useful, and what is not.

Let's face it, no one wishes to use Fireball or Freeze on a T3 survival, for example, for pretty obvious reasons. That's why current system allows players to filter out skills that they don't need and add something more useful.

I think OP's playstyle is the issue. Why should DE wasting time for someone who could just bind his mouse buttons?

Imagine clickers in MMOs start a topic that the game is unfair because the interface hinders them aiming, clicking and moving at the same time.

Not everything has to be done.

EDIT: As he is playing now, he has to move the scroll wheel and push the button to use the ability. That means two inputs for activating an ability, three inputs if he has three abilities. Come on...

Even a simple mouse bind would make it better.

About what mouse binding are you even talking about. Please elaborate.

Just don't use them: problem solved.

I have all mine hotkeyed, so interface isn't a problem. Frankly, if you're not using hotkeys in a fast paced PC game, you're doing it wrong.

And, yeah, I'll still have no use for psychic bolts on Nyx and won't have any issue not using them.

Not seeing a problem here.

I never said, that interface is a problem. I'm asking for ability to disable some skills, because i don't like being forced to avoid using them in a "fast paced pc game".

His post addresses this. He manually scrolls through his powers using the scroll wheel instead of using 1-4 as buttons. Even hitting the wrong skill at the wrong time can be the difference between living and being downed (especially when it's Shadows of the Dead, Crush, Bullet Attractor, etc.).

His problem is that it's cumbersome to have to scroll through each power and further exacerbated by the ability dots being too small to easily notice which power is selected in the commotion of battle.

I can respect this concern. In the devstream, they had a screen showing the abilities being displayed in the arsenal. It'd be cool if they could add a checkbox in the arsenal screen (or an X to be more clear) for powers we want to disable.

if he has a keyboard, use numbers 1 to 4 located just above the WASD.  if it's a controller, assign them to the directional pad (plus sign shaped button).  problem solved.

That feel when all the white knights and the plague that is 'No.' and 'Nope' posters completely miss the point of what the OP is asking for. 

He doesn't want to disable the abilities. He wants to be able to arrange which ones he scrolls to for the sake of his preference, maybe even removing a power or two from the scroll bar so it's quicker for him to cast his more regularly used abilities, while still being able to cast the other abilities with the designated number keys. 

I for one am in favor of this customization and don't see what all the fuss is about. More power to the player (eheh) and extra UI customization is always a good thing. 

Forum goers just arguing to argue, reading comprehension for the win, etc etc... 

I understand the OP having an issue with Ability activation (the default power activation setup on the PS4 has me toggling the enlarged map and when trying to close the map I end up activating a random ability. Usually slide left or up)

I sort-of understand the Devs wanting all 4 abilities available. Ability challenges only include First ability and Ultimate though, so 2nd and 3rd abilities get no challenge love. (But while doing Sword Alone missions you can still be granted a Rifle or Pistol kill challenge...So maybe the Devs really want us using all 3 weapons all the time.)

I have two concerns with the upcoming removal of 2-mod slots.

Are the new Syndicate mods going to take up 1-of our limited 8 mod slots? (Personally I would prefer to still have 10 mod slots but limit 2 mod slots for Syndicate mods only....also have Syndicate mods use the same polarization that abilities are currently using.)

My other concern is more of an issue with some Power-Pool caps on some Warframes and Blind-Rage necessitating Flow/Streamline/Fleeting-Expertise. Before you could build around an Ultimate with Max Power strength and just slot the required Flow/Streamline/Fleeting Expertise in an ability slot - Giving you 8 mod slots plus the required workaround to activate your Ultimate. With this upcoming change losing that 1 mod slot means some Warframes can do a Max Power Strength build but not have access to their Ultimate. (If Blind Rage received a buff of 5 energy, this would not be the case as 150 energy at level 30 is more manageable for a power cast than 155energy when the energy pool caps at 150 without Flow.)

No ability builds are getting handicapped, anyway.

I think a better solution would be to make it more obvious which warframe skill you have selected when scrolling.

At the moment it's difficult because the difference between the power you have selected and the powers you don't is a few shades of blue.

On the off-chance I try to give mouse-scrolling a try as opposed to hitting the numkeys, I find myself having to glance under the crossair too often, trying to see if I have the right one selected or not.

If the circle of the selected power were say, bright red, instead of a very light near-white blue, it'd be a much more intuitive process.

That feel when all the white knights and the plague that is 'No.' and 'Nope' posters completely miss the point of what the OP is asking for. 

He doesn't want to disable the abilities. He wants to be able to arrange which ones he scrolls to for the sake of his preference, maybe even removing a power or two from the scroll bar so it's quicker for him to cast his more regularly used abilities, while still being able to cast the other abilities with the designated number keys. 

I for one am in favor of this customization and don't see what all the fuss is about. More power to the player (eheh) and extra UI customization is always a good thing. 

Forum goers just arguing to argue, reading comprehension for the win, etc etc... 

Actually, i DO want to disable. That would allow me not to worry about slower scroll and avoiding using energy for unwanted skills.

Yes, this way the new change seems pointless, but it actually is pointless anyway.

This is more of a PC gaming issue rather than bugframe issue. I recommend giving numbers a try. It should not be hard to gain muscle memory. Also, hand size should be a bit irrelevant. My hands are tiny(for a man) and I am typically forced to travel more distance to reach the keys. So I highly depend on muscle memory. Which I had to learn the hard way for BF4, Shogun 2, along with several other games I've played since moving to a PC.

If it doesn't work out, (if it really is that uncomfortable as mentioned) re-bind keys. Get creative with it. (something that all pc players should do minutes into a game) Still no joy? Look into getting an rts/MMO gaming mouse. Then you will have quite the advantage having so much power within reach of your thumb. I just have an G400, yet having those 2 extra button and the ability to switch dps at will is such a wonderful thing for almost any serious pc game.

------------------------------

Much Comprehension, Such Wow:

That feel when all the white knights and the plague that is 'No.' and 'Nope' posters completely miss the point of what the OP is asking for. 

I for one am in favor of this customization and don't see what all the fuss is about. More power to the player (eheh) and extra UI customization is always a good thing. 

Actually, i DO want to disable. That would allow me not to worry about slower scroll and avoiding using energy for unwanted skills.
Yes, this way the new change seems pointless, but it actually is pointless anyway.

---------------

Edited by Vitalidad

So this is just another veiled complaint thread. *sighs*

Either way, since the beginning of time games have used number keys for abilities. We currently have a HUGE amount of customization as well which would let you move said abilities to other keys or even your mouse buttons if you so wish.

If you're seriously having that much trouble pressing numbers literally inches away from your left hand, try changing your ability keys to something else. I mean I can slightly understand - I don't use number keys for much either; but I'm not going to demand the game I'm playing's devs to change how their game works just to fit me....especially when there are SO many options at your disposal via the damn options menu alone. But if that doesn't work for you...

Maybe get a gaming mouse that has 4 extra buttons. I use one that only has 2 extra buttons. My scroll wheel button = Ability 1. Top side button = Melee. Bottom side button = Ability 4. 2 and 3 are numbers. (E = activate, F = switch weapons/hold for melee, V = scanner, etc). Gaming mice don't cost much nowadays. The one I'm using was like 10 bucks on Amazon, and it's holding up perfectly after about 4 months worth of gameplay (Last mouse I had was also from Amazon, about 6 bucks, lasted a whole year until it started double clicking by itself)

Edited by SoulEchelon

So this is just another veiled complaint thread. *sighs*

Either way, since the beginning of time games have used number keys for abilities. We currently have a HUGE amount of customization as well which would let you move said abilities to other keys or even your mouse buttons if you so wish.

If you're seriously having that much trouble pressing numbers literally inches away from your left hand, try changing your ability keys to something else. I mean I can slightly understand - I don't use number keys for much either; but I'm not going to demand the game I'm playing's devs to change how their game works just to fit me....especially when there are SO many options at your disposal via the damn options menu alone. But if that doesn't work for you...

Maybe get a gaming mouse that has 4 extra buttons. I use one that only has 2 extra buttons. My scroll wheel button = Ability 1. Top side button = Melee. Bottom side button = Ability 4. 2 and 3 are numbers. (E = activate, F = switch weapons/hold for melee, V = scanner, etc). Gaming mice don't cost much nowadays. The one I'm using was like 10 bucks on Amazon, and it's holding up perfectly after about 4 months worth of gameplay (Last mouse I had was also from Amazon, about 6 bucks, lasted a whole year until it started double clicking by itself)

Since when negative feedback has been treated as complaint, may i ask?

The updates aren't supposed to make one buy any additional stuff just because reasons, right?

But i have come up with an idea, that may fix my issue and may help others:

Currently we have each numbered skill binded to a certain key. For example, Frost's Freeze is binded to key 1. Each time i press 1, Freeze happens. If i don't like this skill, i can bind it to key 0. But when i switch to Ash, his Shuriken is binded now to key 0. If i want to use Shuriken, i have to rebind it somewhere closer.

Now, what i suggest is to be able to bind certain skill slots (not the skills itself) to certain keys. One can bind for example 2 first skill slots to keys closer to the fingers for the frequently used skills (lets say Globe and Avalanche), and 2 remaining slots far away for not wanted skills (Freeze and Ice Wave).

If now i switch to Loki, i can rearrange the order of his skills, so that his Disarm and Invisibility will be in first 2 slots (in other words close to fingers), and Decoy and Switch Teleport will be in 2 last slots (far away).

This is just an example. If you use 1, 3 or 4 skill-builds, this kind of system seems flexible enough to fit almost everyone

If, again, the devs read this topic, i'd be grateful to see some feedback on this. (Feedback on the feedback, huh? XD)

If more precise explanation is needed, feel free to ask.