The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Seems To Have Memory Leak Since U15

Emener

Hey everyone, we have been working to address performance issues across U15 however I just have a couple of questions for anyone experiencing the issues mentioned in this thread.

Are you running the game in windowed or borderless windowed mode?

If so, can you please try running the game in fullscreen and see if that helps at all?

Additionally, I would recommend toggling vsync to see if that solves any of the issues as well.

Please feel free to reply to this thread with your results. It may be able to help us track down what is going wrong.

Have had issues since 14.8. I always run in full screen.

Hey everyone, we have been working to address performance issues across U15 however I just have a couple of questions for anyone experiencing the issues mentioned in this thread.

If so, can you please try running the game in fullscreen and see if that helps at all?

Additionally, I would recommend toggling vsync to see if that solves any of the issues as well.

Please feel free to reply to this thread with your results. It may be able to help us track down what is going wrong.

I've got performance issues, playing fullscreen. From what I've noticed, it's two things. 1) performance suffers greatly when loading up a mission - noticeable with low framerate (as low as 3FPS at times) during the Liset loading screen. 2) I think the archwing enemies sometimes lag the mission. I've noticed that, when there is a performance issue - stuttering, low frame rate, etc, it tends to go away at the end of a mission, interception or exterminate.

Vsync has been broken for me since U14...but I cant confirm or deny memory issues unfortunately...with 16GB running into memory related issues is just not gonna happen.

But Vsync does cause significant fps slowdowns at times. In areas where the fps is 50ish..it drops to 30 and then goes down to 25...which is something you can really feel and see...

So I prefer having tearing in 10% of the gameplay over fps "crashes"

Turned windowed mode back on and tested it now I get barely a third of the way through the loading bar for the log in screen when a "insufficient video memory" pop up occurs. When in windowed mode I can get to the login screen then crash. Don't know what else to do; before U15 i was playing perfectly windowed or not. Supposedly my direct x 11 or 12 has never been active yet it plays smoothly. 

I'm using a 32bit system and i'm running Warframe on windowed mode. Not having any crashes but I get stuck on the loading screen for at least 2 minutes. This isn't the case for fullscreen but my FPS is too low for me to play that way.

It seems that the fullscreen and windowed modes yielded only the normal bug-ups. While, on the other hand, borderless windowed mode ran off with most of the tileset. Most of the walls/floor were gone in the grineer galleon, though still walkable.

Edited by Konga

Vsync is my problem here sir, it always change the Refresh rate target from 60 to 30 randomly

Edit: In any type of window (full screen, borderless, windowed), and in the majority screen resolution below 1080p, it set to 24 fps.
And, the game is really consuming more memory, i was playing, and it was using almost 2gb of ram.

Sorry for bad english.

Edited by Victor2308

I was running it fullscreen with vsync both on and off and it still gave me problems.

I've been having load-in issues.

I turned off V-sync and changed from Borderless Fullscreen to Fullscreen and there is a slight difference in load-in time/fps drops.  It definitely helped, but it's still slower in comparison to pre-U15

fullscreen without vsync, after some missions i get 5s freezes at random times, getting kicked when hosting, seems to be some sort of memleak. i suggest that you fix this asap, nothing ruins a game more than bad performance.

did DE employ some ex-coder from sony online entertainment lately? :D

tried this multiple times and even switched to 32 bit mode disabled and reabled directX11 nothing seems to work to help load times, and all the other stuff

fullscreen without vsync, after some missions i get 5s freezes at random times, getting kicked when hosting, seems to be some sort of memleak. i suggest that you fix this asap, nothing ruins a game more than bad performance.

did DE employ some ex-coder from sony online entertainment lately? :D

Same exact thing with me, the 5s freezes.

I have slow loading, rather than FPS issues, like by the time I'm loaded into missions, they're already nearly done. :(

-snip-

this isn't directly related to the issue here in particular, but i felt i should mention the resource usage i've been seeing.

to establish a baseline, while idle my machine normally sits at ~1300-1500MB of RAM being used. and ~2.8gigs of Pagefile storing.

and previously[before U15], Warframe would take these two to ~2500MB of RAM and Pagefile to ~4.3gigs. well within expected usage.

and here's a few things i tested just now.

CPU usage on the Login Screen 100% across all 4 Cores for ~20 seconds. if allowed to settle, CPU usage is normal(well, higher than i remember, but within acceptable bounds) when Logging in and appearing in the Liset.
interestingly enough, CPU usage spike dips down if i login before letting it settle after launching Warframe, then returns to 100%.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~7-8 seconds when hosting Dojo. nobody else joining, hosting it alone to rule out extra variables.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~4 seconds when starting a Earth Jungle Tileset Mission.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~8 seconds when starting a Corpus Ship Tileset Mission.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~2 seconds when starting an Infested Ship Tileset Mission.

in the Liset, system is at ~2500MB and 4.4Gigs.
in a Mission (used Ice Planet and Earth Jungle for this), ~2750MB and 4.9Gigs. sometimes RAM was more around ~3000MB though.

when idle, my GTX760 2G is right now at ~280MB of vRAM used.
on the login screen, ~810MB of vRAM used.
in the Liset, ~835MB of vRAM used.
in a Mission (various Tilesets compared), ~880-1020MB of vRAM used.  this is actually interesting, the last time i examined(admiteddly has been quite a while so it's not the most accurate information), Warframe was using more like ~1250 in a Mission, but only ~600 in Menus, as these two numbers are from before the Liset.

resource management post U15 is... odd. that kind of usage isn't significantly hurting me, game is still overall performing fine. but the numbers are infact significantly higher than before.

Edit:
this is with a cleaner in the background constantly releasing unused RAM, so it would probably be significantly higher if i wasn't doing so. but i've gotten into the habit of just having it running, helps keep some problems from happening :)
Edited by taiiat

Note: I un-checked DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 on the Launcher settings and the load-in time is fine now.  Not sure if that applies to the memory leak problem... but... 

Credit: BRANDONFULL2MINE (Youtube guy told me to try this)

EDIT: To disable DirectX 10 and DirectX 11, click the gear in the top right-hand corner of the launcher and then uncheck them.  

-Also: disable FPS counter if you have it. 

-Also: DO NOT play fullscreen.

-ALSO: DO NOT PLAY WITH ANY FPS COUNTER, the game will burn you for it.

Edited by Auramau

I have been running into FPS issues a lot with U15, and most of the time it is when I am host.  And even then it isn't consistent, it happens then goes away.  It is happening a lot in Archwing missions.   Some older issues I have noticed are still around are FPS problems in Grineer Excavations specifically. 

Another Archwing issue that just came to mind is kind of odd.  The mission will be running smoothly and at a high FPS, but then it gets choppy.. but the FPS meter says there is no drop in FPS.

1. running fullscren

2.running Dx10

3.Vsync is terrible in this game considering how bad stuttering gets and the fact the game randomly likes to drop down 30+ FPS for a quick second

Memory leak occours around 5 hours of gameplay for me witch is odd because i can have the game running for 3 days straight without memory leak and thats with 4GB's of ram.

the evolution engine is really well optimized but things in U15 had driving me away from the game that should have brought me back

Running Borderless Fullscreen in DX11 mode with everything set to high (V-Sync is off because my GPU forces the refresh rate to 55Hz/FPS). I've noticed that before U15 Warframe would only consume about 1GB of memory. Now it's consuming 2~2.5GB.