Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Remove Ability Mods Just To Add Them Back Into The Game?

GreyEnneract

+9999 OP

IMHO we now need 1-2 ability mutator slots (only able to slot ability mutator mods and/or other similar 'ability' mods that come down the pipe)

AND we still could use another 1-2 'utility' mod slots, only able to slot things like warmcoat or handspring or acrobat, etc, etc

DE really did kinda take 1 step forward and 2 steps back with the whole ability overhaul, remove slots, then add ability mods that take up more slots

we need more different 'types' of mods (not polarity), ie aura, frame, mutator, utility, stance, etc, etc, etc to help differentiate these grossly different power classes (ie no one is taking warm coat over redirection)

+9999 OP

IMHO we now need 1-2 ability mutator slots (only able to slot ability mutator mods and/or other similar 'ability' mods that come down the pipe)

AND we still could use another 1-2 'utility' mod slots, only able to slot things like warmcoat or handspring or acrobat, etc, etc

DE really did kinda take 1 step forward and 2 steps back with the whole ability overhaul, remove slots, then add ability mods that take up more slots

we need more different 'types' of mods (not polarity), ie aura, frame, mutator, utility, stance, etc, etc, etc to help differentiate these grossly different power classes (ie no one is taking warm coat over redirection)

I've seen the utility slot suggestion for a long time now, and I am still puzzled as to why it hasn't been implemented yet.

+9999 to you as well good sir.

Now that we have confirmed instances of the ability augment mods taking up actual Warframe slot space, I ask why.

Why remove ability mods only to add them back into Warframe while still removing the number of slots from 10 to 8?

For maximum Warframe optimization you would be required to put on these extra augment mods, when you already are using up your precious mod space. This will especially become a problem once all of the ability augments are released for each ability, and even more so once the "abilities every Warframe can use" mods are released. I really liked the change of removing abilities from the frames, and moving the slot limits down to 8 from 10 seemed to make sense from a balance standpoint. However, removing ability mods just to add more back into the game instantly is honestly just counter-productive, and in my opinion @$$-backwards. They could have easily just made them equip-able through the Abilities tab that they added. DE rarely reverts any of their changes (Nekros incident), so I recognize that this is just a rant thread. I just wanted to get my opinion about this system out there, even though it will likely not change.

I'm pretty sure that it's your thinking that's arse-backwards.

Can you already kill everything in the game with basic, and even unmaxed, mods? The answer is yes. So what do "special mods" let you do? They allow you to kill everything slightly more efficiently with particular builds.

Since DE is not magically creating new enemy units that can only be killed by equipping special mods, it means you don't need those mods, you do not need to change Frame layouts at all, in fact nothing is changed other the fact that we have new mods that we can choose to equip to fit a more specialized build, or to just not equip.

Pretend the augment mods do not exist. Nothing is changed. Your "precious mod space" can stay exactly as it is. Problem fixed.

This "we went from 10 slots to 8 slots" is just as bad. We went from 10 slots to 12 slots, with 4 slots having pre-installed Abilities in them. The fact that people were creating zero Ability builds was an abomination and was never in the spirit of the mechanics. it was an anomaly, and it was rectified.

The augment mod are not really that good (though that's what heard from other players) but it would be really nice if DE returned the 4 (or just maybe 2) of the warframe mod slots so we can mod or put some augment mod to see a warframes potential or experimenting new builds.

Edited by Last_0rder

Assuming we will have ultimately 4 augment mods, having 1-2 (or just at least 1) dedicated augment slots like the aura slots would help and would add versatility/specialization among frames of the same type.

I like the current system as is though, just add 1 atleast augment slot for those mods. I dont like people having 0 abilities though , its against what the devs have envisioned for the game and i respect that.

Edited by KuzkinaMat

That was my only concern when the change rolled out. 

They should really just be attachable to abilities specifically and not a part of your WF mods.

As long as there was a suitable downside that represents the augment power like increased energy cost or similar then we would be golden.

Now its a case of look at all those slots most players gained to chuck a few utility mods on, oh wait nope its either those or an augment. When we get augments that are significantly more powerful then most of the current ones we have it will be back to more utility mods almost no one will use.

They are ability cards that modify your abilities.

If DE really wanted them to just be an upgrade, they could have just kept the old system and had you equip say "Neutron Star" instead of "Null Star" as a sort of better version of Null Star that you earned.

This is the one thing that bothers me about the new system.

Almost all of the augments feel like they should be a part of the base ability as it is. These mods - and the Syndicate weapon augments -  are basically DE's way of "balancing" what they deem underused or bad abilities and weapons.

It's rather disappointing. I was hoping the augments would be alternate abilities that you could swap out on your abilities screen. But apparently that's too much to hope for.

-

The mod changes freed up about 1-2 slots on each of my frames. What went into those slots? Sure footed and maybe another defensive mod. It highlights how bland most of the mods in the game are, but I also hope that those slots aren't taken up by more filler in the future, either.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

This is the one thing that bothers me about the new system.

Almost all of the augments feel like they should be a part of the base ability as it is. These mods - and the Syndicate weapon augments -  are basically DE's way of "balancing" what they deem underused or bad abilities and weapons.

It's rather disappointing. I was hoping the augments would be alternate abilities that you could swap out on your abilities screen. But apparently that's too much to hope for.

-

The mod changes freed up about 1-2 slots on each of my frames. What went into those slots? Sure footed and maybe another defensive mod. It highlights how bland most of the mods in the game are, but I also hope that those slots aren't taken up by more filler in the future, either.

Well 70 more mods were added to the game in U15, 45 not including Archwing mods.

So I think the fodder flooding in is already happening. When mods such as weapon range are being added while all our weapon slots are already full, it's time for DE to start thinking about attachments. Not just for weapons, but for Warframes as well.

I can't be the only one thinking this statement is literally insane.

What is insane is thinking that every time something new comes out it must allow you to make you more powerful with zero drawbacks.

Every one keeps harping on about balance, but then demand powercreep. New mods should make a Frame more powerful in one way and less powerful in another. Look at EvE Online weapon systems for an example of what works.

But what is the point of explaining it when you clearly have no grasp of the concept.

why we cant just have ability augment slot for each ability. if DE thinks it could be too OP to break the game, make it 2 slots for each warframe. augment mods can still take mod capacity so there is one more reason to polarize warframes

Edited by Eric1738

What is insane is thinking that every time something new comes out it must allow you to make you more powerful with zero drawbacks.

Every one keeps harping on about balance, but then demand powercreep. New mods should make a Frame more powerful in one way and less powerful in another. Look at EvE Online weapon systems for an example of what works.

But what is the point of explaining it when you clearly have no grasp of the concept.

Not disagreeing with you, but if you're going to reference EvE, you should make sure you also explain what it is you're referring to. I tried out EvE and drowned in the (perceived I guess) complexity.

i suggest using the new skill screen to use Augmented mods

just like said above

no penalty no bonus point

just 1 slot per skill only setable in the skill screen

also i would said the same for Weapons

add a new specifik slot for Augmented mods along some visual changes on the weapon (depending the augmentation)

moove eagles eyes mods and such into generik augmentation mods that grant a scope or lazer to the weapon :3

could be cool

Edited by Tsoe

The ability cards, like ability mods themselves, are not required for optimal builds. Personally, on my Frost build, I can't really ever see myself throwing on the augment because I only really ever use Frost on defense or excav runs—screw giving everyone cold damage, I need my snowglobe maxxed out.

i suggest using the new skill screen to use Augmented mods

just like said above

no penalty no bonus point

just 1 slot per skill only setable in the skill screen

also i would said the same for Weapons

add a new specifik slot for Augmented mods along some visual changes on the weapon (depending the augmentation)

moove eagles eyes mods and such into generik augmentation mods that grant a scope or lazer to the weapon :3

could be cool

+1