Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cloaks, Pancho's, Waist Wraps And Hoods

Caelum-Warblade

Alright the title basically is self explanitory, with the addition of Syandana's from quite a while ago you can see that it add's a bit of extra flare or personality to your warframe, but what about the addition of different types of clothing? Obviously warframes each differ vastly from one another in shape and sizing, which is why some warframes such as Nyx couldn't have a hood covering her, but it could be like a bandana covering her face with the cloak, or a hood down behind her back. On top of this, there would be a clipping issue with weapons and cloaks BUT, sense Warframe is a 3rd person game, it's possible to code the cloak to not be able to occupy the same physical space as the weapons.

Essentially, my thought is this: you have a cloak and while your weapons are over the cloak and on your back holstered, your cloak remains underneath and flow's like a piece of cloth would against wind.

Here is an example from Shadow Of Mordor with how Talion's cloak flows in the wind, but registers that talions weapons are on his back which would help prevent a clipping issue.

http://youtu.be/fpRXiyIvvX4?t=39s

Once you equip your primary weapon, your clock would obviously not have something obstructing it from moving more freely.

In conclusion, aside from the obvious benefit of getting some cool and interesting new asthetics to the game, the addition is allowing the dev's to test some interesting new tools that could potentially be used on both enemies and new content added to the game aside from these cloaks like banners, structures or the way you interact with things. The thought I came up with is just an idea to address the immediate response the title above would get of "what about the clipping issues". I'm aware there is alot more for the Dev's to worry about aside from this and that it's more complicated than what I have portreyed it, but I think it's worth putting in sometime down the road.

I've said this before on other threads, a good solution to prevent clipping of hoods would be to just instead of making the hood come with the cloak, make the hood an alternate helmet for each frame, that way even Nyx Prime can have a hood without her crown-like helmet causing clipping issues, since each hooded helmet will be modeled to fit each frame it's given to. Capes, cloaks and poncho's shouldn't be a big issue anymore judging from how well DE is doing now in terms of putting cloth physics on syandana's and even some of the frames(Frost, Volt and Trinity excluded but we know why that hasn't been done yet).

Edited by Shad0wWatcher

Well I remember in one of the devstream Geoff was like "cloth physics?" aaa, uuhhhh, aaa no, I mean..not really..

Stuff like that. Sure cloth physics aren't really working now in warframe, lots of clipping issues and weird physics jumping. I can't see this anytime soon or maybe never. Some soft body parts like Hydroid's dangly bits part or some minor thing could happen, but I don't think cloths and cloaks are gonna get in.

I don't think the engine Warframe uses can't handle cloth physic calculations. So trying to request something as advanced or "next gen" as that in a game that was out for almost two years is almost impossible unless they update their engine (which would require server shut down for a day or two at most to implement, test, and make sure it's stable server side then release a huge patch out to the players).

I didn't want to nuke this idea or saying "nay". I think it's great and "ninja" as hell. Also more customization is nice, but I'm ok with the different helmets and armor parts. 

@Phyrak Yes, that's it. Why would you want to make characters look like they're from Destiny. Different game different looks. I personally love those glorious prime helmets and I'd like to see them in acton. This game is about the warframes , why would you want to cover it with cloths? 

Looking forward to new alternate helmets from DE!

I didn't want to nuke this idea or saying "nay". I think it's great and "ninja" as hell. Also more customization is nice, but I'm ok with the different helmets and armor parts. 

@Phyrak Yes, that's it. Why would you want to make characters look like they're from Destiny. Different game different looks. I personally love those glorious prime helmets and I'd like to see them in acton. This game is about the warframes , why would you want to cover it with cloths? 

Looking forward to new alternate helmets from DE

Well i personally would wear a cloak to give myself a mysterious feel, a cloak is meant to blend in with the area, to remain anonymous, which is a part of being a "ninja". And were supposed to be ninja's right? So why not...besides...a cloak doesn't have to necessarily have to hang all the way down to your feet, it can also be a short 1 like the type that goes till your waist. Seems reasonable right? And like i said before, the hoods don't have to come with the cloak..it can be put in the game as an alternate helmet specifically made for each frame to avoid clipping issues and to make them optional for every1 who just want the cloak without the hood or with the hood, or none of those 2 at all. i mean...were meant to be ninja's according to DE...each frame having an alternate helmet with a hood makes at least a little sense in order to keep the whole "anonymous ninja" feel.