The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Male Gunslinger

Spargeus

Heres a question, might shed some light on my confusion

you don't play warframe X ACTIVELY, but you still play warframe X?

So you play warframe X passively? How does that even work?

Example;

I dislike Vauban's design a lot. Too bulky and plain for my tastes.

I won't play him or use him for fun or my own will so in all honesty he sits in my inventory not yet fully leveled,

However, I will still play him sometimes when the situation calls for his abilities to be viable. Understand now?

My point was that someone doesn't need to be able to connect to a frame through aesthetics to still use it as long as it's good.

Vauban's a pretty strong frame for defense with his powers, so even if I dislike his appearance, I'll still play him when his powers apply well to a mission.

Edited by WingedCrusade

People keep using the word 'character'. This is a suit not a person.

Keep your Tenno any gender you like, it doesn't affect the shape of the suit.

It still isn't proven that they aren't characters nor is it proven that they are.

Lore wise nobody knows yet but Ember for example might as well be a Tenno that can only use the Ember-frame to channel her fire powers or it can be a tenno that can use both Ember and other frames.

No texts either confirm or deny of each warframe as a character.

Edited by TheSadisticDragon

It still isn't proven that they aren't characters nor is it proven that they are.

Lore wise nobody knows yet but Ember for example might as well be a Tenno that can only use the Ember-frame to channel her fire powers or it can be a tenno that can use both Ember and other frames.

No texts either confirm or deny of each warframe as a character.

If you read codex entries, it is said that the Orokin "Molded frames around these beings of the void."

Molded. As in, it was made based around what they appeared to be. It's one of the Prime frame codex entries.

Gender is overrated anyway...

This^

If I'm debating playing a character in a video game, I don't concern myself with their gender.

If the character looks fun, I play it. Done.

People that refuse to play a certain character/set of character because of gender need to get over themselves. It's a game.

If you read codex entries, it is said that the Orokin "Molded frames around these beings of the void."

Molded. As in, it was made based around what they appeared to be. It's one of the Prime frame codex entries.

It's actually in regular Excalibur's codex entry, I believe.

But that codex entry could also suggest that Volt, Excaliber or any of the warframes are the names given to the Tenno inside them not their suits.

Regular Excalibur is the 'frames around them' codex entry. Excalibur Prime I believe shares that entry, as I have no sources to suggest Excalibur Prime has a secret lore entry to its own. Which'd be kind of silly considering the context so...think of it like Original Warframes are the Exemplar, and the Warframes we make belong to that Series of Warframe. So Exemplar Excalibur is not the same as Excalibur Series, as the former is a character, the latter is a production line.

--

Concerning the gender of warframes: Purely Aesthetic Gender is very much in effect, and it's a good thing. All the Warframes currently designed could be and, I believe have been, Gender flipped and nothing changes the gameplay context. Every warframe to date is a terrifying hyper lethal warrior of varied messy death, before we even begin looking at weapons.

However, yes, I will point out that it's perfectly okay for people to not like something because it doesn't match their preferred gender of association, whether that's actual physical gender or the one you elicit as 'true'. All it really means is that you get half the Mastery points if you never ever use the other gender frames, but that's not too much of a problem if I understand it correctly. But if we're respectful to each other, why get so worried about it, and that goes both ways.

Want to play girls/guys only? Go do that, just don't get hung up on the fact DE seem to be mostly flipping coins on what gender a particular concept may be. I will point out that if we took all the allegedly 'best' female frames and swapped it so they were all Male and most of the female frames were the supposedly 'weak' ones from a gameplay standpoint...how bad would that come across? It'd be a nightmare.

Some people don't want to be a chick/dude, some people don't care. Lets just accept it and go have fun.

--

Regarding points about sex appeal, it's a thing for most people, yes. However, Warframe currently runs a moderate line considering the treatment of the Warframes, as none of them are directly focussing on their 'assets'. The Warframes are universally designed to be somewhat form-fitting, male or female, such that whatever sex appeal exists is universally found. There's arguably something for everybody at the moment if that's your thing. It's actually quite refreshing not to have overtly idealised physical appearances for characters; the Warframes are athletic, but that makes sense with all the insane acrobatics going on. Yay mostly practical armour design.

Personally though, I admit I don't see the point to sex appeal. Finding a fictional construct however artfully done, sexually alluring is...strange to me. I like characters for their personalities and their stories, but never in my priorities for a game character choice is their appearance and whatever allure it may or may not have. Sure, ok, aesthetically I can agree something looks good, but past that? I'm nonplussed what else it is I should be responding to. Character design mostly works out as 'average with maybe an interesting scar for backstory fodder' for me.

I confess I'm an odd person, but if a free question on the nature of sex appeal is asked, here's a free response no more or less valid than any other really. In essence I just don't see it, much like I don't with real people. Warframes are so neutral in appearance that no extremes are crossed for me to push me away from using certain things. Because yes, I'm the kind of person who prefers a variety of neutral looking characters than a few 'you should find this person hot' types.

Apologies, I digress. Go enjoy what you enjoy at the end of the day.

My problem is not that I can't play female characters, because mag is my main. My problem is that I prefer all of the female frames power sets. IMO they get the cooler and less goofy abilities overall.

For example, I think Excalibur had such a goofy move set. Yes it may be useful, but it doesn't even fit a theme.

I would prefeer gender swapping in all the frames to be a thing. Seems like I'm not the only one.

I would too....it may come much later but they have a nice start with the idle animations for warframes being universal for all...they may make an effort to add the other gender of the current frames in game later....maybe as like a .5 update or something.  I love saryn but hate playing as girls.  Nyx is another fav although again i just like playing male warframes.  Girls in high heels in combat just dosent spark my interest.  

This issue would be fixed if DE could only make genderswaped versions of every frame, amirite?

Screw that. That would take years. Literally. They should just concentrate on making their base game better. Like that topic comparing DE to the Grineer that was locked down almost instantly!