Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All This Time And No Spear?

Crossark

Why would it HAVE to be paired with a shield? O.o

Spears are traditionally used WITHOUT shields...

SPARTA!

on a serious note: spears are versatile. you can use them to clear a wide area by swinging it, you can throw it, you can stab, etc. what i wanna see is a kusarigama. how can you claim space ninja but not have one of these?

The spear would HAVE to be paired with a shield though.  This would also have to be in combination with a stance mod that has a lunging kick with a knockdown as a finisher.

I don't know, maybe we could have a longer spear that is a lone-blade weapon, a shorter one that has a tower shield, and a throwable one with a chain for retrieval.

Why would it HAVE to be paired with a shield? O.o

Spears are traditionally used WITHOUT shields...

This isn't truthful, but it's important to note that shields aren't a necessity. You can use the shaft of the spear to block strikes.

Kinda hoping we get one with Valkyr Prime.

Ahem.

Just sayin'...

Also, spears are usually seen historically with shields. Unless you're talking pikes or boar spears for hunting. The Roman pilum springs to mind with shield use.

You can go back further to the Grecian phalanx formation.

Spear gameplay will be horrible IMO, its all going to be stabby stabby and single target focused. Saying that, we don't really have a proper thrust weapon...yet.

Not true, spears could have wide sweeping/arcing attacks too. 

I really wish they would introduce some actual spears.  Ever since they said they were going to add polearms, but then gave us the orthos, I was hoping to get an actual spear. 

The spear would HAVE to be paired with a shield though.  This would also have to be in combination with a stance mod that has a lunging kick with a knockdown as a finisher.

It most definitely wouldn't HAVE to.  And its play style would be much better if it didn't.  

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Actually not all spears are about "stabbing". 

There are some cultures that used spears with sweeping fighting styles. (circular movements with superior range compared to what swords had to offer).
Especially in some asian regions (Have you never watched historical asian fighting movies? ffs...you missed out!)

....and let's not forget that a small part of the theme is somewhat asian-ish. 

So it could fit if they do proper research and make a spear /moveset that matches up.

And even if you take "frontal focused" spear fighting styles...a lot of weapons are single target in this game...but lack the superior range of spears.

Two handed stabbing weapons are actually underrepresented.... Two Handed stabbing weapons can feature the speed of one handed small weaponry (2 hands definitely speed up things) and like I mentioned before...dat range doe.

Edited by Shehriazad

I've talked with my clan members about this before. There's 1-handed spears and two-handed spears.

1-handed spears can be solo, matched with a shield, or matched with a 1-h short sword.

The 1-h short sword can fill in most of the close-quarters that a spear can not.

What we need are more Pole-arms/Glaives in general!

4.jpg

I know not exactly the same kind of glaive that warframe calls theirs, but hell it would be awesome xD

i8dyetn.jpg

Or even from my favourite JRPG, a glaive like that; more huge and badass looking than just our plain-ol' Orthos xD

I love my Orthos, but seeing more unique designs, and just more variety in general would be awesome! (:

• 1 month later...

I'd love to see the following:

-Nunchuks

-Rapier

-Solo two handed spear

Then some Thrown melee variants:

-Throwing Spear Melee

-Throwing Axe Melee

Then some Variants of the &shield variety:

-Spear and Shield

-Axe and Shield

-Mace and Shield

And most important of all:

-Pile Bunker (The introduction of a 'Heavy gauntlet/fist' melee weapon type)

The spear is the most prominent weapon in human history... Used in hunting, sport, and war. This game takes inspiration from Asian culture right? How is the Chinese KING OF WEAPONS (google it, seriously) completely absent? You know what Hanzo Hattori; arguably the most famous "ninja" in history, has at his tomb? ...A Spear. Not a dinky katana. To this day you can view it.

There is a lot to draw from in spear techniques for games such as this. Take Seirei No Moribito for example:

Even to this day the bayonet is used in modern armies, and yes a bayonet essentially turns a rifle into a spear.

bayonet-range.jpg

russianbayonetdrill1.jpg

This even has pretty practical gameplay considerations. A puncture melee weapon that isn't a dagger? Do we really need more slash weapons? Rapiers would be nice too for this reason.

Edited by IlluminaZero

The 'spear' is a very generic term for a style of weapon that has literally been around since the dawn of man. Trying to nail it to any specific culture is an effort in futility because someone is always going to be able to come up and say "no wait, these people used a spear THIS way." 

A spear is, very simply, a long shaft of some material, with a pointy bit on the top. In the same way that a sword could be a European longsword, a Japanese katana, or an Arabian scimitar, a spear can be a lot of other things and still be a spear. It's not a very exclusive group. 

Having a traditional thrusting spear in Warframe could work if it was given enough range that it could pierce at least two or three enemies in a line. It would be different than our usual arcing swinging styles which could lend itself to more diverse and interesting gameplay. I really like the idea of a spear that when held down allows you to throw the thing, since the only other weapon we have that does something similar to that right now is the 'glaive' series. So long as the developers can come up with a suitable reason that it can return to you, a long range stabbing/javelin type weapon sounds like a lot of fun. 

I think it could work. Just would need a solid stance mod or something to make use of such a weapon. I imagine a lot of thrusts and sweeping motions. Probably some function to launch the spear blade would be a nine touch to give it some range.

Don't think I don't see what you're trying to do there.

A reference to the 300 Spartans.

The spear is the most prominent weapon in human history... Used in hunting, sport, and war. This game takes inspiration from Asian culture right? How is the Chinese KING OF WEAPONS (google it, seriously) completely absent? You know what Hanzo Hattori; arguably the most famous "ninja" in history, has at his tomb? ...A Spear. Not a dinky katana. To this day you can view it.

There is a lot to draw from in spear techniques for games such as this. Take Seirei No Moribito for example:

Even to this day the bayonet is used in modern armies, and yes a bayonet essentially turns a rifle into a spear.

bayonet-range.jpg

russianbayonetdrill1.jpg

This even has pretty practical gameplay considerations. A puncture melee weapon that isn't a dagger? Do we really need more slash weapons? Rapiers would be nice too for this reason.

That would make for an excellent addition to the gunblade type I think.

Edited by Dousei