Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Silva & Aegis - New Mechanical Sword/shield [Megathread]

Awazx

What it needs is a defensive boost. Not a damage boost. 

There is no good reason for your argument. A uncapable weapon to harm is not a useful weapon. Are there other weapons that already make the damage proposed OP? Sure, but is not a valid argument for Silva & Aegis also make a balanced damage.

Do not forget this: Silva & Aegis has no impact damage, puncture or slash. The increase in statistical proposals is balanced, considering that these values lacks weapon.

There is no good reason for your argument. A uncapable weapon to harm is not a useful weapon. Are there other weapons that already make the damage proposed OP? Sure, but is not a valid argument for Silva & Aegis also make a balanced damage.

Do not forget this: Silva & Aegis has no impact damage, puncture or slash. The increase in statistical proposals is balanced, considering that these values lacks weapon.

No. It's not. 

All abilties right now are about useability. Not damage. That's why Ember is mostly ignored sometimes in high end survival.

Plus, there is a reason why Frost's Snow Globe is so usefull. 

Also, it's not balanced at all. If you want to buff it to that level, you have to buff tons of other weapons too.

What I want Aegis and Silva to be is a weapon I can use to get close to enemise or shield my allies as they deal 20k damage per second.

Edited by jjpdn

No. It's not. 

All abilties right now are about useability. Not damage. That's why Ember is mostly ignored sometimes in high end survival.

Plus, there is a reason why Frost's Snow Globe is so usefull. 

Also, it's not balanced at all. If you want to buff it to that level, you have to buff tons of other weapons too.

What I want Aegis and Silva to be is a weapon I can use to get close to enemise or shield my allies as they deal 20k damage per second.

The thing is, ability scaling sucks. There's no comparison between that and weapon scaling...

The thing is, ability scaling sucks. There's no comparison between that and weapon scaling...

An your point is?

Abilities are for CC or special stuff.

Weapons are for pure damage and single target killing.

But, new cool weapons like the Paracyst and have come out.

Why not make a deployable cover-like weapon?

I just want more CC in the combos and very fast massively damaging finishers.

Knock them down and stab kind of thing.

I would like a CC/finisher weapon style in general. Sword and shield, daggers and possible new types (rapiers?) could fill this kind of role.

Also, I really need to be able to knock enemies down when I sprint while blocking with the shield. Make it have set momentum, so you have a limit how far you go before you stop. Just this alone would make this weapon worth it :D

Edited by LocoWithGun

No to buffing the stats. 

Yes to making a new sword and shield weapon. 

It has the same damage as a skana with a damage type that's marginally better for some things and worse for others. It requires a stance that only drops from Lephantis and is clantech.

It shouldn't be a dragon nika or dakra prime or something, but better than a weaksauce skana isn't asking too much.

The reason why they haven't added this feature is because then you can combine this and reflection and become invincible while dealing damage.

At the cost of not being able to use your massively more damaging gun and only being invulnerable to attacks from your frontal arc? Also losing out on mod slots? Sounds like a fair trade off to me.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

At the cost of not being able to use your massively more damaging gun and only being invulnerable to attacks from your frontal arc? Also losing out on mod slots? Sounds like a fair trade off to me.

It's not a fair trade.

Have you even gone against high leveled enemies yet?

If that happened, I could stay in one corner and shield and stay tehre for the whole game. 

There's no need for that one slot for health or shield mods.

When you have an invincibble front, you cover your back by going in a corner. Duh.

Plus, your highly damaging gun is highly useless against high leveled enemies. 

Reflection scales. 

Your gun doesn't. 

It's not a fair trade.

If that happened, I could stay in one corner and shield and stay tehre for the whole game. 

When you have an invincibble front, you cover your back by going in a corner. Duh.

Reflection scales. 

Your gun doesn't. 

Have you ever used reflection in practice? Do you know how long it would take to kill anything like this? Case in point, enemies tend to shoot in bursts. Often enemies with shields will regenerate their shields before shooting at you again.

Yes, I'm saying that you could literally use reflection indefinitely and it still wouldn't be OP.

Your average extermination mission would take two hours. Wouldn't help you in defese (pod goes boom), wouldn't help you in survival (you won't kill fast enough and you'll suffocate). It won't even help you in interception... even with 4 people with this at each point you wouldn't be able to kill the mobs using the terminal (as they don't shoot at you). And if you're saying that you would simply switch... letting mobs swarm you and then switching = instant death scenario. Also, what about AoE units like Bombards?

How exactly is being invulnerable but being unable to kill anything helpful to any mission type?

What is the most HP player can achieve? 1400 or so? And 1400 or so shields. What is the most effective HP players can achieve? 6 to 8 thousand (with Valkyr, which has invulnerability with better damage output funnily enough)

What kind of HP do enemies have on higher levels? Tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands. 1) they spawn in numbers 2) their weapons are meant against enemies (us) that have at most 8000 HP. So when you reflect that damage at them... since they have many, many times that amount of HP... it barely scratches them.

Reflection sounds good on paper, but it's not at all useful when you think about it.

Edited by LocoWithGun

It's not a fair trade.

Reflection scales. 

Your gun doesn't. 

Show me a game type which allows you to hide in a corner all game.

Survival? You've gotta come out for air. Defense/mobile defense? Enemies will very happily pwn your defense target. Interception? Yeah, gotta run between those points. Capture? Good luck downing that capture target with reflected damage. Exterminate is like the only one where it'd be even semi-viable as an actual playstyle, and even then I'm doubtful.

And scaling? Seriously bro? By the time your endgame tier gun is useless due to scaling, one shot will ruin you anyway and then all it takes is one enemy coming up behind to pwn you. Mind you, pros use 4x corrosive projection anyway, but it's pretty hilarious that you're talking about how I haven't even played high levels when you have such a weak understanding of how the game's scaling mechanics work.

• 3 weeks later...

What I really want someday is a Grineer riot shield plus a cleaver, or machete (or a new gladius style grineer sword), I'd be perfectly okay with it being the not as good "mastery fodder" version (by a small margin of course) and the silva ageis be buffed to it's true potential.

This is of course secondary to the sword and board block mechanic getting completely overhauled so it isn't actually a hindrance.

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to know a megathread exists on this subject, I was just in process of making a new thread.

I've been wanting to make this topic for awhile, seeing how its been almost a year.

Now I had originally intended to make a thread on how Raids will kill weapon diversity due to how DE has continued to ignore the plethora of weapons that need to buffed, forcing cookie-cutter builds to be streamlined, and while that is a serious issue, this one particular subject really is inexcusable.

People have complained about the Silva & Aegis for several months, this weapon was even part of the Community Hot topics in July 2014

EGgqGBU.png

And yet nothing was done.

why is it necessary for players to complain months on end just for a specific weapon just to get “looked at?”

This weapon could've been a defensive-focused but instead it is just more mastery fodder, I want to give the benefit of the doubt DE did not have this planned for this weapon. Its just extremely disappointing that the Skana is even more effective since it has access to Crimson Dervish and for the Silva&Aegis to be Clan-tech it is pathetic that it is still so weak after all this time considering the resources and time it takes to obtain it.

I hope in this "Year of Quality", the Silva&Aegis gets the buff it so desperately needs, because I really want more weapons to be viable when raids are here.

I think the crit damage should be at least 200%

I agree with you on one point, If something had to give I rather keep the damage the same(low) and buff the Crits,  since currently S&A has nothing going for it right now.

But honestly the number one thing that has to change, is the ridiculous amount of Stamina it takes to block - its inexcusable.

Edited by Juebev

what i want to do with this weapon.

250px-YellowTarge.png?t=20111217065536

A charge mechanic would be good, coupled with a little damage reduction and the shield would actually feel like a proper shield. In tf2 the charg'n targe is not used to block stuff, but it still feels like a shield (at least it does to me). I just hope that the silva and aegis gets looked at again, it looks like a cool weapon, it really needs to feel like one too.

Edited by superdk90

Ah man, I nearly forgot about the poor Silva & Aegis. I remember getting the stance for it and everything, then it just underperformed severely. It felt like I had a skana in my hand with a fancy firey rectangle I would throw on occasion.

Hoping to see it get buffed, but that probably won't (properly) happen until a new sword and board is released.

Edited by Cyv001