The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

I could go on and on. Just because an animal is named something, doesn't mean it is that thing. I agree that the Chroma's look is awesome, but I hate terrible reasoning. Saying that the leafy sea dragon was a legit source for the Chroma's head would be like saying a Wolf themed frame could have a legit source design from a spider. They are two different things.  

I mean no one said Chroma is a dragon, just dragon inspired. Much like how Rhino is Rhino is inspired, but isn't a Rhino itself.

I can see where you're going with this. I can agree with the opinion that Chroma could be less extreme in his design, as could Limbo and Hydroid, but in the end I feel that chroma would get flak no matter which direction they could have gone with. People have started complaining a lot lately and there is no real unified opinion in the fanbase. Some think the new frames are over-designed, others think the old ones look plain or uninspired. Some think the frame's themes are to literal, while some think they're too abstract.

As for the dragon's place in Warframe, I dunno, ask the fans, they were the ones who requested him.

(Sorry If I sound hostile, pretty tired.)

The problem is that DE can't simply throw out all of the previous Warframe designs. At this point DE either needs to accept the design of Warframe or redo everything to make it more thematic; doing both just looks weird and it cheapens the art style.

I mean no one said Chroma is a dragon, just dragon inspired. Much like how Rhino is Rhino is inspired, but isn't a Rhino itself.

Yes, but the Leafy Sea Dragon's NAME is an INSPIRATION of Dragon. So they basically took an animal whose name was inspired by dragons and used it to inspire the Chroma. Inspireception.

Sorry, he's the most unoriginal frame in Warframe. DE literally copied the design from the Pirates franchise; it's actually embarrassing how little effort they put into his design.

how so? any water themed frame is automatically ripped off of pirates? what?

He better not touch those japanese school girls, they're mine.

Hydroid makes no promises.

It's practically a carbon copy of the dragon armour from Skyrim - not surprising it's what a lotta people expected - despite that expectation never fitting here aesthetically.

I'm sorry but did anyone ever consider the possiblity of a middle ground?

Somewhere between the fan design and the thing we have now?

I mean... it's not that hard. It's a dragon frame... make it slightly insect-like (that is consistent with frame design) and off you go.

You don't neccessarily have to include 1000 different depictions from around the world. Around 3 would be plenty i think.

It's not "Rhino reskin VS anteater monstrosity" it's "can't you do better than both?".

Edited by LocoWithGun

I mean... it's not that hard. It's a dragon frame... make it slightly insect-like (that is consistent with frame design) and off you go.

You don't neccessarily have to include 1000 different depictions from around the world. Around 3 would be plenty i think.

It's not "Rhino reskin VS anteater monstrosity" it's "can't you do better than both?".

You. I like you, your opinion is what I'd want to see more of.

how so? any water themed frame is automatically ripped off of pirates? what?

Hydroid makes no promises.

Seriously, search for any image of Davey Jones from Pirates; Hydroid is a blatant rip-off. Besides, DE could have used a liquid mercury style to give him a sense of fluidity without making him strictly a pirate.

I could go on and on. Just because an animal is named something, doesn't mean it is that thing. I agree that the Chroma's look is awesome, but I hate terrible reasoning. Saying that the leafy sea dragon was a legit source for the Chroma's head would be like saying a Wolf themed frame could have a legit source design from a spider. They are two different things.  

Yep....I agree completely. All I was saying was that it seems like the only "dragon" that Chroma's helmet aesthetic looks similar to would be the leafy sea dragon. I don't see how or why but what can I do..

I guarantee if half of those were released today they'd get complained about.

There is literally no pleasing this community. 

Of course. A community isn't a "person" its made up of THOUSANDS of people on these boards.

Obviously there are a whole lot of different opinions among us so what some like others will dislike.

The chances are that every move DE makes will be met with both "yays" and "nays".

Seriously, search for any image of Davey Jones from Pirates; Hydroid is a blatant rip-off. Besides, DE could have used a liquid mercury style to give him a sense of fluidity without making him strictly a pirate.

I remember Davey Jones having a hat, a crab claw and a peg leg. So anything pirate related rips off the pirates franchise? Had they used the liquid mercury style, there'd be complaining that he ripped off the T-1000. We could say Rhino rips off the NGR troops from Rifts. Limbo rips off traditional magicians. Zephyr rips off..... birds.

You say youve studied dragons from all over the world, you should know which one this is.

Well that picture looks like a creature from the monster hunter video game series. Ah yes, Amatsumatsuchi.

Based on some of it's features It might takes it's inspiration from various Asian water dragon myths like some of the Mizuchi.... (even has uchi in the name) but Amatsumatsuchi has some more blatant aquatic attributes added in. 

Though its flying powers and wing like appendages might be more of the feilong style in particular.

also, the focus brought to it's head shaping with the horns array..(a long with the early part of the name) might be a nod to the japanese sun goddess Amaterasu. (but I digress) the Suma part of the name could be from many things, like the moth or the naval significance...etc.

Often creative people use bits and pieces of a name to match up with some of the inspirations in the design. but that's just generally speaking.

Course I couldn't really claim to know what the developers of a game are thinking. Only the vibe I get from looking at their work. 

For the record-I am not saying I know of every depiction of a dragon in every video game, comic book, or fantasy novel made..lol

It's that I am generally familiar with most of the long standing, well recorded dragon based myths of various cultures.

------------------------------------------

At any rate, that picture doesn't have the seahorse/anteater/leafy sea dragon face thing going on.

So it doesn't really combat my argument that the style was not exactly in popular demand.

Edited by Ronyn

I approve!