Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Say Mag Is Bad?

mody_bird_21

My gues is that they think she's bad because she can't nuke an entire room at once regardless of faction, whereas Excalibur can. The difference is that her nuke scales endlessly in the right circumstances, given that the damage is based off of the shields removed, and Excal's falls off. Basically people don't know how to play her. 

I thought mag prime was pretty bad too, until I maxed her out and found she wrecks against corpus and sometimes corrupted when used correctly, currently I enjoy mag prime, I don't find much time to use her since I enjoy loki prime more, but mag prime really is good.

I believe the primary gripes people have with Mag are:

1) Low base health means she bleeds like a sacrificial goat under heavy fire, undermining her high shields.

2) CC isn't very viable. Pull throws enemies whereever which makes it more annoying than useful when spammed, and enemies attack the instant Crush ends, so it's not much of a life saver.

3) Not very effective against Grineer or Infested, meaning her skills only shine against the Corpus or Corrupted.

Of course I wouldn't say any of these make her a bad frame, she could use some improvements here and there but I still think she's a fun one to play as, and viable at high levels in the right hands.

Mag has been used for warframes longest survival runs ever due to shield polarize using percentages instead of numbers. So if you mod strength you can take away all enemy shields and restore all of your teammates shields. I think a lot of people think she is bad because she's a starter frame.

Mag is by far the best starter frame. Pull is crazy OP: it has a large AoE, knockdown, and decent damage - and as the 1 skill with minimal casting/cooldown time, is easily spammable, especially if you have Streamline and/or Flow (and/or any dual mods, don't remember if there are any). Sure, one Pull may not do much, but string together 5 or 6 and suddenly those Grineer heavies aren't looking so tough after all. And if that doesn't kill them, you still have enough energy for the ult.

Now, I don't know how well she projects into the endgame, but she can be pretty effective in high level content if you've got a team of high damage frames: Pull the enemies off their feet, and let the other guys do the rest.

Edited by theasl