Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Powercreep, Does It Exist? [Debait]

Burns2PvP

I am wondering what you guys think on this topic.

What is powercreep?

Power creep

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Power creep is the gradual unbalancing of a game due to successive releases of new content. The phenomenon may be caused by a number of different factors and, in extreme cases, can be damaging to the longevity of the game in which it takes place.

As new expansions or updates are released, new game mechanics or effects are introduced, making it increasingly difficult for older content to remain in balance without changes. Usually, this means new content releases grow successively more powerful while older content becomes regressively outdated or relatively underpowered.

This term is used outside games as well.

When I started, Forma's didn't exist. They were released, all mods are able to be put onto a gun now, what used to be a level 6 that can't kill at level 15 is now a level 6 that can 1 shot anything up to 25.

By time it hits level 30, I am able to 1 shot the Jakal himself. Something isn't quite clicking there for me.

(Way I see it, Enemies should be scaled up or weapons scaled down. Both are required to meet a minimum line level so its not like this.)

What are your guy's suggestions on ways to fix said problem.

Mine would be to nerf the mods given to the player.

Edited by deadinflict

Thing is though, if enemies are going to just get harder as our gear levels harder.. what's the point to levelling up gear making it do more damage since mobs will just scale so there won't  be a difference.

Not being completely and utterly useless in end-game content, for starters.

not this again...

Why are you even commenting?

Anyway, yes power creep is a thing. But I feel it's going a pretty slow rate. For example just because the synoid gammacore exist, it doesn't mean that the previous weapons you used useless. You still have plenty of options when going to void, people just choose the easiest gear for the task.

As long as they don't start scaling the void based on the "OP" gear, it should be fine.

if it makes you feel better  then fine its in the game, but ask your self this. if there wasn't any scaling of power to levels in progression of endless mission wouldn't the game enemies versus frames+ weapons be at point zero making every mission a stale mate? no side wins no side lose?

This is the ultimate of all the powercreep nonsense question I truly have to ask.

In what way does this affect you personally when playing?

Edited by ranks21

if it makes you feel better  then fine its in the game, but ask your self this. if there wasn't any scaling of power to levels in progression of endless mission wouldn't the game enemies versus frames+ weapons be at point zero making every mission a stale mate? no side wins no side lose?

Progression =/= power creep

Powercrepe is real for any system that is added to over time.

You get better at making stuff work with the game as your knowledge increases.

Characters with 4 powerful abilities that synergize poorly give way to ones with 4 balanced abilities that synergize well, and even though the numerical power curve has been maintained, you end up with a more powerful character

Gear has a different problem. If a new piece of gear is weaker than the current stuff you have, there is little reason to use it.

On the other hand, if it is more powerful then old items become redundant.

You can counteract powercrepe by periodically rebalancing, or re-tiering your game, the problem there is, that sort of thing takes a lot of work.

In addition when looking for powercrepe you also have to take the player into account.

A piece of content with a 30% pass rate might jump to 60% after a month.

Looking at that you might think that the dethmachinecannongunblade3000 that was released 2 weeks ago was too powerful and made that content easier, but equally it could be that a strategy has been discovered and players have adapted to the new content.

Powercrepe is a thing in warframe, we get a jump in the power curve of the game every month or so, but like inflation in an economy, a little bit of moderated powercrepe can be a good thing, showing that the game is growing, and pushing the need for new and better challenges.

So while it does exist, it currently isn't a huge problem in Warframe

Just my $0.02

somehow you always find a way to quote and nitpick what I have to say after a whole year+ I finally answered back to your creepiness didn't  have the slightest idea that the cap would fit...lol

why cant we be friends sings song...

Edited by ranks21