Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Everyone Hating On Tenno Live And Chroma ?

Mikail96

I'm okay with Chroma. People complained loudly after Limbo about their dislike for "themed" warframes, where their appearance is very recognizable and fits their style (Limbo is a stage magician, magically disappearing at will for example). If I remember correctly, DE said they'll stop making themed frames and go back to that chaotic and organic look like the original frames.

And now we have Chroma. DE kept their word, people still not happy. I'm personally looking forward to it.

I'm far more anxious to get the sentients though, the enemy that forced the Orokin to create the Tenno. I wanna see why they needed the Tenno to combat them.

Agreed Wholeheartedly! I love the organic metal vibe that I wish alot of warframes would show off just like the very first tenno :D Hayden ftw

Concerning those on the reaction to be fair the volt one felt even more jaded because I mean it didn't show much just a small tease and the claps felt forced.I mean I wouldn't to want clap over the devs speaking because I want to hear them and concerning the sentinels it was kinda the end of the tennolive.

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

Personally I'm waiting to see him in motion, it's hard to cast judgment on a design when you've only seen it from one angle.

Don't forget they might make tweaks to the model before it's out, remember Valkyr? She got her shoulder muscles beefed up before release.

I belivde gents and ladys, chorma is our infested warframe that some of us truly desire. Think about the fact that chorma body is basicly a warframe that ids degeneted to this state because of its abbiltys or the tennonite  virus that cause his frame to become this twisted form.

Come on people! Don't tell me you never saw a sea dragon? "Dragon themed frame" . I like to see him in action before saying anything further. Hope he doesn't wreck fps like mirage.

*snip*

Once again, sea dragon =/= dragon. It's a fish, not a dragon. Having dragon in the name does not make it a dragon.

My take from the hot mess that is the Chroma thread:

It resembles what I would have expected to see in an Infested Warframe. I'm sure a lot of people are gonna give it Ancient colors and call it a day. Now is it just me or are frames just getting goofier and goofier, especially the guys? I'm missing the more seriously themed aesthetics that helped bring me into the game. Of course visuals aren't everything, however, there is a line where they can begin to cut into the overall theme that's been established in a universe.

Here's what I mean. The Sentient trailer was dark and foreboding; had a nice feel to it. All the Frames there completely felt fine (even Mirage didn't seem out of place). The spotlight was given to Excalibur, the poster boy. Who better, right? That said, his spot could have been given to practically any other Warframe and it would have still felt like it belonged (yes that includes Hydroid and Mesa) there. Now let's say we replaced Excalibur with Chroma or Limbo. For a lot of people it would seem totally off, and not very Warframe, to say the least. Play it out in your head and see.

The crowd reaction, or lack there of, for Chroma's reveal spoke volumes. As does this topic. I'm all for unique approaches in art, but maybe DE should start to ease back into atmosphere that Warframe was founded on. A joke Frame here and there is fine, but let's give it a break for now.

Ya, that's what I see:

*pic*

Good example for how dragon snouts like that exist in western depictions aswell. The celtic battle horns are also often depicted with similar dragon heads. Serpentine dragons are indeed quite common in western mythologies. From the midgard snake of norse mythology to the lindwurm or just worm in mythology across most of northern europe.

However i think that image actualy also illustrates a problem with Chromas design. Mainly the anteater joke.

Because when you go with a head that is inspired by serpentine dragons, what ever they are based on eastern or western mythology, one would expect the body to follow that example aswell by being slim.

However Chromas body is broad, he seems to be as broad as Vauban or even Rhino. This a direct contrast to the serpentine dragon head, which makes him look less dragon like.

Hence why some people think of an anteater, a big buy wearing a horse mask or an armadillo, rather than an asian dragon.

If he would look slim snakelike the head would look a bit more fitting. Still weird though.

Edited by Othergrunty

I'm okay with Chroma. People complained loudly after Limbo about their dislike for "themed" warframes, where their appearance is very recognizable and fits their style (Limbo is a stage magician, magically disappearing at will for example). If I remember correctly, DE said they'll stop making themed frames and go back to that chaotic and organic look like the original frames.

And now we have Chroma. DE kept their word, people still not happy. I'm personally looking forward to it.

I'm far more anxious to get the sentients though, the enemy that forced the Orokin to create the Tenno. I wanna see why they needed the Tenno to combat them.

Just because de removed one unpopular aspect of recent frame designs does not mean the frame can no longer be without flaw or disapproval. Sure they made it less themed, that's a plus in my book, but that doesn't make me overlook how strangely shaped its head look to me, doesn't change the fact i think its arms look like they're made of clay. One step in the arguable right direction does not = success, it's just what it is, a step in the right direction. I can only hope a closer perspective of the frame might change my opinions, or perhaps that de will make some alterations to the frame to remedy some of these worries, but until then one can only express their opinions of the design. And veiling their disapproval behind a "they did one thing right" mindset really doesn't aid anyone.

On another note though, I'm hyped for the sentients as well. Hopefully they don't end up as just another enemy faction we bat away in droves, they need to be a danger faction like stalker or something. (Could you imagine having to fight like ten stalkers at once, a++) 

Just because de removed one unpopular aspect of recent frame designs does not mean the frame can no longer be without flaw or disapproval. Sure they made it less themed, that's a plus in my book, but that doesn't make me overlook how strangely shaped its head look to me, doesn't change the fact i think its arms look like they're made of clay. One step in the arguable right direction does not = success, it's just what it is, a step in the right direction. I can only hope a closer perspective of the frame might change my opinions, or perhaps that de will make some alterations to the frame to remedy some of these worries, but until then one can only express their opinions of the design. And veiling their disapproval behind a "they did one thing right" mindset really doesn't aid anyone.

On another note though, I'm hyped for the sentients as well. Hopefully they don't end up as just another enemy faction we bat away in droves, they need to be a danger faction like stalker or something. (Could you imagine having to fight like ten stalkers at once, a++) 

You still think the nozzle is its head, don't you?

As for I just like bulky "make me feel like im playing a badass frame (like rhino first did when he came to the scene)" but thats my take on it all, in the end ill buy the frame, ill lvl up the frame, i maybe hate or like the frame, but in the end i shall have it none the less....

Maybe a alt helmet will be released for the frame and Ill luve to play it for the looks other then that yeah, wished for a bulky badass looking frame.

You still think the nozzle is its head, don't you?

I'm aware of people saying it's just a helmet or top piece (like zephyr), and that the neck portion is really where his jaw and such is but even so I feel rather conflicted with the helm. Just doesn't look quite right to me, and maybe that has to do with how concealed his head is in the current images we have (hence the hopes that closer look may improve my perspective) which could just be an angling issue but still until then I can't really side with his current head. 

edit : also, even if it that was the case i still feel the nozzle needs some snipping

Edited by Cubewano

It was eastern, western, aztec, mayan, or incan. Take your pick. Those were the different influences that were up for debate. All of those have dragon imagery that actually look like traditional dragons, not seadragons, which are not mythological dragons, which is what the community wanted.

You forgot Viking dragons, man. That's what that is. A Viking dragon! O:

Once again, sea dragon =/= dragon. It's a fish, not a dragon. Having dragon in the name does not make it a dragon.

well that's the thing if someone calls a pig a dragon you don't have any scientific proof to prove otherwise because there are no living nor dead fossils of dragons and seeing as there are no alive/dead dragons to prove otherwise "dragon" is just added name to describe a living life form .Dragons are a work of fiction/mythology/legends and all cultures veiw dragons in different forms and shapes.Like for instance this is a Greek dragon Greek%20Dragon_zpsu5qeswdb.jpg and this is a medieval interpretation Dragon_zpssobrlno1.jpg

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

I'm not particularly fond of Chroma. I don't see the resemblance to anything traditionally or non-traditionally  "dragon". I just don't think they should advertise it as the "dragon themed frame". If they don't advertise it as the "dragon themed frame", but something else instead, I think there wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Look at some of the more recent frames. Hydroid looks like a pirate/Davey Jones (Pirates of the Caribbean), Limbo looks like he's wearing a hat and a suit, Mesa looks like she's wearing a leather outfit you might see on a gunslinger, and Mirage looks like a jester/harlequin. Chroma just doesn't look like anything draconic. If anything it looks like an Infested frame.

I also think that maybe they tried to mix too many different types of dragons into one, so there isn't one clear inspiration. Sometimes making something look traditional isn't bad.  

Edited by Barbetti

Okay, to humor you, let's compare the two outcomes:

Scenario A

DE: Hi community! We're releasing our new Dragon frame. Its appearance follows many of the stereotypes of dragons and dragon themed things.

Community: WOW this frame looks awful! Why did you make it so stereotypical? Do you have any originality?

Scenario B (what we are seeing now)

DE: Hi Community! We're releasing our new Dragon frame. It's a spin off of Eastern influences and sea-dragons' appearance, to go hand in hand with our new Aquatic tilesets (hence the sea-dragon appearance).

Community: WOW this frame looks awful! Why didn't you make it a stereotypical dragon? We didn't want a seahorse we wanted a stereotypical dragon looking frame!

The Conclusion

No matter what DE decides to do, players are going to be miffed about it and think it's the worst design decision ever. With a community this large, it's impossible to please everyone.

Exaggeration and cop out.

With thousands of players of course there will be a variety of responses to every decision that DE makes.

However there are many decisions that DE makes that have a very high approval percentage.

There is no reason to imply that the large amount of negative response from Chroma's visual design was inevitable no matter what they did....

Actually, the basis for eastern dragons is in fact sea horses, snakes and sea serpents (eels). It's not a sea horse that was named after a dragon. It's literally called a sea dragon. Glauert's seadragon, Phycodurus eques, is a marine fish in the family Syngnathidae, which includes seadragons, pipefish, and seahorses. While related to seahorses, it is not a seahorse.

Ok, then here you go, leafy sea dragon:

Irrelevant. The majority of fantasy creatures were initially inspired by some real world creature.

If people ask for a unicorn and get a narwhal it doesn't matter that is where some of the unicorn myths come from.

When folks ask for a four legged creature with hooves and a mane but then get a whale like body with fins it would be jarring and unwelcome.

The mythical Cyclops was likely inspired by the finding of mammoth, mastadon or elephant bones....when people ask for a cyclops you don't give them and elephant and act like it makes sense.

Likewise, when folks ask for a dragon they generally want the style of the fantasy creatures not whatever real life creature likely isnpred it.

Ya, that's what I see:

Wd58oYQ.jpg

I respect that different people respond to art differently so alright...but seems like something of a stretch.

The curvature is similar but the overall shaping goes pretty far away.

On the other hand-

chroma%20final%20copy_zpspz9yiiym.jpg

-evokes dragon more blatantly.

Let's just be real for a minute. If there are some alt helmets that are more "traditional" or easily recognizable as dragon themes it will alleviate the issue quiet a bit. Choice is the ideal solution to please multiple preferences.

Edited by Ronyn

To people saying "Sea Dragon=/= Dragom",  that's obvious. But it's a play on words. It's not literally a dragon, but it's inspired by something called a dragon.

Chroma being released with the underwater tileset further hints that he was designed based on the  animal  called the "sea dragon", atleast design wise.

That's not the first time a Dragon was based on the animal, for those who play Pokemon he is warframe's

250px-230Kingdra.png

well that's the thing if someone calls a pig a dragon you don't have any scientific proof to prove otherwise because there are no living nor dead fossils of dragons and seeing as there are no alive/dead dragons to prove otherwise "dragon" is just added name to describe a living life form .Dragons are a work of fiction/mythology/legends and all cultures veiw dragons in different forms and shapes.Like for instance this is a Greek dragon Greek%20Dragon_zpsu5qeswdb.jpg and this is a medieval interpretation Dragon_zpssobrlno1.jpg

Honestly, at this point and with the other viking figurine example I think it's all just coming down to personal tastes and opinions of what a "dragon" out to look like. With a lot of people seeming to prefer the more modern warcraft-esq look to dragons.

But that's what alt helms are for.

It just doesn't feel "dragonny" enough

it looks too much like some infestestation that took over a warframe underneath. Or and infested enemy that was later indeveloppement turned into a warframe for some reason ( not for style apparently , I ain't putting a syandana on that thing) 

IF that what was the design team was going for cool, but it was poorly executed and should have been kept for an "infestation" themed frame.

I know DE is trying to drift away from the "armored dragon warrior" cliché but in this case  they went too far imo  it just doesn't look right.