Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Everybody Hates The Regular Nikana.

(XBOX)lolyman21

Wow, i see a lot "mastery fodder" and "it exists only to be a component" type of opinions... i Hate this... :/

I'm probably one of those ppl (if not the only one) who love regular Nikana. I equip it stictly with my Excalibur and Blind Justice.

I can't understand ppl sometimes: "It's worse coz lower damage than Dragon Nikana..." or "... it's less badazz than Dragon Nikana". Seriously, i don't get it. I love regular Nikana for how it looks. I mean, yeah it's weaker than Dragon variant but still, its a beautiful weapon that can be as deadly in right hands. Also that simple, almost minimalistic design, that is what i love regular variant for.

It seems to me like most people are so power creep crazed that makes them blind...

Edited by Shinadamaru

Wow, i see a lot "mastery fodder" and "it exists only to be a component" type of opinions... i Hate this... :/

I'm probably one of those ppl (if not the only one) who love regular Nikana. I equip it stictly with my Excalibur and Blind Justice.

I can't understand ppl sometimes: "It's worse coz lower damage than Dragon Nikana..." or "... it looks less badazz than Dragon Nikana". Seriously, i don't get it. I love regular Nikana for how it looks. I mean, yeah it's weaker than Dragon variant but still, its a beautiful weapon that can be as deadly in right hands. Also that simple, almost minimalistic design, that is what i love regular variant for.

It seems to me like most people are so power creep crazed that makes them blind...

This is like taking the MK1 braton over the Braton prime. Sure you are free to do so if you want, but it isn't hard to understand why people would take the Braton Prime over it's far inferior version.

I dont really see why youd want the regular nikana in any instance, the only real difference aesthetically is that little circle thing on the the Dragon's saya (sheath) other than that they look essentially the same, with the release of the new cosmetic sheathes the differences are even less. and this is ignoring the huge stat difference. dont get me wrong i like the Nikana's but the dragon is just better stat wise and is almost exactly the same looks wise, especially if you get the new sheath 

I am not hating but most of weapons which have a better variant and the weapon needed component to make the better variant then it is just a mastery fodder weapon. When the devs will not create much better variants then every weapon have reason to exist. 

Skana anyone?

This is like taking the MK1 braton over the Braton prime. Sure you are free to do so if you want, but it isn't hard to understand why people would take the Braton Prime over it's far inferior version.

Well, thing is i do take Mk1 variant over regular Braton and i don't even look on Prime variant coz i actually dont like primes in general (that gold tint! BLEH!), but thing is Mk1 can be pretty good if used on longer distances.... Also who doesn't like challange?! (coz thats what Mk1 Braton and regular Nikana are in my eyes, pure challange weapons)

Edited by Shinadamaru

I can't understand ppl sometimes: "It's worse coz lower damage than Dragon Nikana..." or "... it's less badazz than Dragon Nikana". Seriously, i don't get it. I love regular Nikana for how it looks. I mean, yeah it's weaker than Dragon variant but still, its a beautiful weapon that can be as deadly in right hands. Also that simple, almost minimalistic design, that is what i love regular variant for.

Here's everything that you need to know.

Edited by Oranji

There's nothing wrong the Nikana. People who have gotten the Dragon upgrade for it won't bother with it cause it's weaker and that's it really.

So I don't see a reason to hate the plain one, it's still good for the time and we all used it for Mastery Points and such but once you upgrade there's no reason to use the plain version.

Well, thing is i do take Mk1 variant over regular Braton and i don't even look on Prime variant coz i actually dont like primes in general (that gold tint! BLEH!), but thing is Mk1 can be pretty good if used on longer distances.... Also who doesn't like challange?! (coz thats what Mk1 Braton and regular Nikana are in my eyes, pure challange weapons)

Well that is one option. The other being to maximize and forma the hell out of your gear and watch the bodies fly. You are certainly welcome to play any way you want, but my Braton Prime with 8 forma gives me a sense of accomplishment and progression. The same with the Dragon Ninkana. I earned my extra DPS through countless hours of grinding, and you bet your &#! I am going to get the most out of it.

There's nothing wrong the Nikana. People who have gotten the Dragon upgrade for it won't bother with it cause it's weaker and that's it really.

So I don't see a reason to hate the plain one, it's still good for the time and we all used it for Mastery Points and such but once you upgrade there's no reason to use the plain version.

Agreed, I used to main Loki, my first and favorite frame till they released the prime. I just didn't use vanilla Loki anymore after getting the prime because of the improvements so he got sold.

I did keep the regular nikana though and use it but I don't use it in missions where I need my max damage, at that point its gonna be dragon or something else. If I'm running missions with low level clanmates or pugs though I pull out the vanilla nikana because I like the looks.

Well that is one option. The other being to maximize and forma the hell out of your gear and watch the bodies fly. You are certainly welcome to play any way you want, but my Braton Prime with 8 forma gives me a sense of accomplishment and progression. The same with the Dragon Ninkana. I earned my extra DPS through countless hours of grinding, and you bet your ! I am going to get the most out of it.

Yup it's one of the options... The other option You talking about by maximize DPS through grind (the most mainstream one) is the option i do not choose for 3 reasons: 1) for me it is only progress with DPS and only that, not progress with skill, 2) i, in general, Hate being OP, 3) i totally don't care about DPS... But, wow! we are acctually getting off the Nikana topic x) Back on track.

Nikana is a very nice looking weapon (personal opinion), most people have DPS maximizing addiction and Dragon variant is a good example of power creep *sigh* while also establishing the trend of tiering weapons (another bad WF community habit imo). All that makes for Dragon Nikana to be more popular while degrading Nikana into mastery fodder field. But this comes from numbers and nothing will change until this "counter-variety-balance" stops. Because now i only hear people say: "bad weapon 'cause lower DPS and i would never use it...", "low tier weapon - take Dragon variant", "not a material for higher lvl content - Dragon variant is the only viable one" <---all that sucks imo... :\

Edited by Shinadamaru

Stat wise, the Dragon Nikana is better, however, the normal Nikana is a Rank 4 weapon, whereas the Dragon Nikana is rank 8, which makes the normal version a good weapon up till that point..  Also the Dragon Nikana ranks among some of the best melee weapons in the entire game, with an extremely versatile and powerful set of stances (Three so far) to use with it.

However, I do find that the normal Nikana aesthetically looks better than the Dragon version, I really really dislike that thing in the middle of the sheath on the Dragon version.