Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unicode Should Be Removed

SunshineFlower

I am reading what you say, except you don't seem to be reading what I'm saying. Your whole argument that you do understand so feel that they should be stopped for people who don't understand, is based on the premise that people who don't understand are somehow offended by language they don't understand.

As someone who doesn't understand their language, I'm tell you that I'm not; and that logically speaking, you can't be offended by something you're not aware of. So your argument there is bs. Because otherwise, you do understand what they are saying and you can report them yourself, if you feel the need to. That is your prerogative as someone who understands what he is reading and is offended by its content. That however, is not basis for banning/censoring the whole language, as then English itself would also need to be blocked.

Your claim that people need to be forced to speak English to complete a mission is also bs. The current mission sets don't require the degree of communicate or coordinating that you claim they require. I've done them all and the only content that even comes close is the raid content, which is still "in development". And while there may be more missions in the future that do require coordination, it will be up to DE to either facilitate intuitive prompts for those activities, or a more robust emote set. And yes, the lack of emotes is a commonly recognized issue already being petitioned with the Devs.

All that stuff is fluff. Here's the important part.

Your request to simply prevent people from speaking anything but English is discriminatory. It doesn't matter what you feel is "how the wold works" or what you were told growing up, it is. More importantly it's highly suspicious if that is even the true intent of your request. Why? Because you're not requesting that everyone be made to speak English.

What you're requesting is that people who either choose to, or more importantly can only communicate in unicode, are singled out and censored. Your whole "English is the language of the future" shtick doesn't change the fact that IF your request is granted, people can still speak in non-English languages that can be spelled out using English letters. The change would only affect people who speak in languages that use unicode characters.

Basically this.

In a game where 90% of the communication consists of "Inv plz" and "GG."  That and whatever goes on in reigon(pretty sure I saw at least three hate crimes last time I looked in there)

You want to remove the ability for some people to speak properly.

Someone lock this thread before the white nationalists show up.

Having over 8 years of MMO experience, I can safely say that I do NOT trust anyone that doesn't speak english, or, atleast, a little bit to make themselfs understandable.

Raids, parties and all the content that requires teamplay I do not wish to play with non-english speaking people. A major, and the most obvious reason, is the barrier of understanind. The second is that most of them that I have encountered were rude. 

I do not have anything against people from other countries but dayum.

Disclamer: Not a native english speaker either.

If you dont understand what someone is saying then you should learn their language or ignore them - but forcing other people to speak englisch, because its the world-language is... really really discriminatory.

Edited by Monster-T

I don't think expecting people to speak english in an online multiplayer game is discriminatory at all. I mean, so much media is in english, it's relatively easy to learn. (And before you hate on me, i'm Swedish, so English isn't even my native language) I simply expect of others what was expected of me. If they want to be understood, they should use english, that's just courteous and helpful. It's not a question about culture, ethnicicity or anything like that. ANYONE can learn at least ONE other language than their native language(i'm no genius, if i could, so can you), and English happens to be convenient in this case.

Because if you are playing in european region, you will be teamed up with a lot of them.

And most refuse to speak anything other than russian. And once you tell them that you do not understand them, they will most likely insult you.

Basically that's the cause. I'm Italian, I understand English both written and spoken. It happens a lot of time that slav players use their own languange (not only Russians) and that's quite annoying. It's quite rare to see any word in Spanish, French or German.

I'm ok with people who use other languages. I don't see the point, for example, in use English to speak with another Italian, for me. But if people have to deal with anyone else, use a language that the majority can understand. First of all it's a matter of respect. 

It also happens a lot of time to hear them speaking. I had to mute everyone for this reason. Hours spent listening to people abusing the Voice system speaking in their own languages for the entire match. Come on please, shut up. No one cares about what you have to say. And no, they weren't kids.

For example, last time I did 10 defense waves listening to two Russians, or Ukranians or whatever they were speaking to each others loudly.  

Edited by Latronico

I dont support removing unicode. I rather be constructive towards community communication rather than deconstructive. The games simple chat mechanics are nowhere near as developed as most other MMO's. (sorry DEpablo still allot more work for u)

I know some games/chat applications that do a straight language translation and detection. But then what do you do on VOIP?

Add in features that make it easier for bilingual communication. Like hot key chat macro's that have descriptions in 1 language that translate to the next.

I have met allot of taiwanese players (some of whom do play warframe) in other mmo's who just cannot carry even basic english well. Often they will need to write in thier native otherwise things are misunderstood or taken out of context. I've got some horror story's of Blade and soul aswell as gundam Universe where some Chinese/Japanese english skills were bad enough to offend native english speakers around me.

We were all great friends when communicating in japanese/chinese but when they attempted to use broken english. It got messy and people got unintentionally offended.

Native Russian and Ukrainian speaking person here.

I support OP's suggestion. Reasons: a) Living in Ukraine often gets me teamed up with Russians and from my big MMO expirience they usually WILL swear at you for simply being from another country or speaking another language (thats around 90% of them). (anecdotal evidence - while playing some CoD BOps 2 multiplayer I was constantly yelled at by plaeyrs (it was a completely Russian server) and they demanded that I leave the game (they were even planning to report me on everything alltogether) and guess what - all yelling and swearing was in a FREAKING RUSSIAN. So please DO tell me how another person must understand you if you intentionally usign the language said person can not understand?).

b) I usually get more cooperation from Europeans than Russians even if I use Russian to communicate with the latter.

c) YMMV but when I try to give addvice to new players there is allways a chance that they either ignore me or say "go f**k yourself" - guess in what language the second variant is happening ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

So yes, please DE, either disable Unicode or make people who intentionally chose to play on EU region separate from people playing in other region, until the majority of playerbase learns how to behave in the Internet.

TL:DR - +1 to OP.

Edited by HorridaMessor

I don't think expecting people to speak english in an online multiplayer game is discriminatory at all. I mean, so much media is in english, it's relatively easy to learn. (And before you hate on me, i'm Swedish, so English isn't even my native language) I simply expect of others what was expected of me. If they want to be understood, they should use english, that's just courteous and helpful. It's not a question about culture, ethnicicity or anything like that. ANYONE can learn at least ONE other language than their native language(i'm no genius, if i could, so can you), and English happens to be convenient in this case.

Yeah, IF they want to understand you (you=speaking englisch) then they have to learn these language - vise versa; means: you should learn their language too if you want to understand them. SImple as that.

Its bad mannered to force others to -whatever-.

@Monster-T

I already have learned a second language, it's not unreasonable to expect others to learn at least one second language as well, this one happening to be English. I have already conformed, i'm waiting for them to conform as well.

Hi there!

I'll get straight to the point - Unicode availability in the chat ruins games. We all know what I'm talking about.

. English has been declared as the global, international language a long time ago.

Nobody is forced to play it but those who choose to - should be able to speak an international language, which is English.

Thanks for the attention,

Peace everybody.

So ... i don't recognize English as "the global, international language". That 's pure and simple. i don't know who declared it  global ...

http://listverse.com/2008/06/26/top-10-most-spoken-languages-in-the-world/

English  is not the most spoken (mandarin), not the most poetic , not the most cultural ...

in fact English  as only one "most". it is the official language of more countries than any other language.

this is clearly not enough to preposteroulsly decide it is the language.

Spanish !  Arabic ! Russian ! French ! ... there is LOTS  of language  who can be spoken  by a very large number of people.

That's why French people (mine) were always fighting with english ones.

French are foolish peeps who belive to be like no one else.

English are foolish peeps who belive that everybody should be english.

i could accept esperanto ;) 

Edited by ELRicou

@Monster-T

I already have learned a second language, it's not unreasonable to expect others to learn at least one second language as well, this one happening to be English. I have already conformed, i'm waiting for them to conform as well.

That you are speaking a second language is nice - but its not reason enough to force others to learn a second language too. I mean - that's a video game, and video games are there to have fun with them. For some people it might be not fun to learn a language to be able to communicate with some others in a video game.

I guess you have not learned english in your freetime... You should imagine someone who wasn't able to learn english in school. Could be pretty hard to learn it without such an institution, hm?

Edited by Monster-T

I know how to speak English and enough French to tell people my name, that I dont speak French, and that I need to go to the bathroom.

And I know that when it comes to world languages, Chinese has us beat by sheer volume. And Spanish is creeping up on us.

Edited by Lordmotav

@Monster-T

I actually learned most of my english from media and the internet, i have tried learning both spanish and german in school, which didn't stick. I will not change my opinion on this, if i can conform to be more cooperative, so can other people. I'm not anything special, and as such it doesn't take anything special to learn. I don't see why it should be laid upon my shoulders to learn more than two languages when others cannot be bothered to learn even a second language.

Oh, and don't try the inability to learn in school thing, that's a fault of the individual. We are literally surrounded by english at all sides and in all media. And if you're considering it; don't even try to suggest the school is unable to teach even english, that's a disservice to the schooling systems of those countries.

And even if all that fails, it's still up to the individual who feels comfortable to just go out into the world and interact online, with his own language. How much they limit themselves! And not to mention: What arrogance, to do so.

Just imagine: "Well, i'm just going to try to use my own language with everyone here despite it being proven again and again that the majority i'm interacting with can't understand me. It's their loss!" See? I mean come on, how useful would my contributions to ANY online community be if i just went around and started speaking in swedish?

Eller hur? Du kan ju prova att köra det här i Google Translate eller något. Det är upp till dig.

Edited by Evil_Brick

@Monster-T

I actually learned most of my english from media and the internet, i have tried learning both spanish and german in school, which didn't stick. I will not change my opinion on this, if i can conform to be more cooperative, so can other people. I'm not anything special, and as such it doesn't take anything special to learn. I don't see why it should be laid upon my shoulders to learn more than two languages when others cannot be bothered to learn even a second language.

Oh, and don't try the inability to learn in school thing, that's a fault of the individual. We are literally surrounded by english at all sides and in all media. And if you're considering it; don't even try to suggest the school is unable to teach even english, that's a disservice to the schooling systems of those countries.

And even if all that fails, it's still up to the individual who feels comfortable to just go out into the world and interact online, with his own language. How much they limit themselves! And not to mention: What arrogance, to do so.

Just imagine: "Well, i'm just going to try to use my own language with everyone here despite it being proven again and again that the majority i'm interacting with can't understand me. It's their loss!" See? I mean come on, how useful would my contributions to ANY online community be if i just went around and started speaking in swedish?

Eller hur? Du kan ju prova att köra det här i Google Translate eller något. Det är upp till dig.

Dont get me wrong - I can actually understand your position, but I cant call it my own - because... there is something thats called "free will". Everyone should live his life how they like to do. And to say someone that they have to learn this or that is nothing else than ignorant (sorry, no offense).

And if you start speaking swedish I'm not feeling worse - I just cant understand you. Now its my really own decision what I'm willing to do in this situation. I can learn a bit swedish or I just can go on.

No one should force others to something - no matter what the reason is.

Edited by Monster-T

I was expecting this to be a complaint about people spamming text face memes.

Yeah I agree that not being able to communicate is sorta rough on the game usually since I'm in NA the ping limit on matchmaking ensures everyone speaks English. I think a language preference setting would be nice but I understand why the devs wouldn't inplement because it would fragment the community of people in matchmaking.

While I agree on the topic in general I don't think that removing uni-code will really help anyone. But still, I agree, if you are playing with the english "international" localization you want people to speak english with you because you intend to cooperate with them in a cooperative PvE game. I mean we have localization for that reason. If you want to speak german, use the german localization with the german chats, if you want to speak french, use the french one and the russian one if you want to speak russian. And as so many people before me, I am not a native english speaker.

You know what's rough? This is rough

fwkDPDI.jpg

And you know what this guy wrote? Just one word - "salut", it's a greeting, nothing more. And some guys just see cyrillic and fall in rage, you really think it helps you in communication?

Everyone shoud speak freely in their own language. I remamber the day when I met with my clan mates the spamed stuf in hungeryan on the region chat and I replyed to them az Magyarok mindenüt ( Hungarians everywhere) and since then we are good m8s. So I don't see a problem people speeking their language. However it's frustrating when they are refuse to comunicate with u in english cos 3 of them sheares the same nativ language