Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Video With The Chinese Exclusive Weapons

f0nty

If the weapon uses an existing grip it's super easy. The Mios needs a whole new grip, on top of having multiple functions.

so do claws, so do the gunblade, and so do these nunchucks all need new grips and functions.

a new weapon of an existing grip doesn't bug me, new grips do bother me

General clarity based on some questions popping up/what's up:

The item shown in that video is coming to the Global Build - the 'exclusive' label is for a limited time for promotional/launch reasons on the Chinese Warframe.

Ooooooow Momma Lotus delivers!!!!

Old-Spice-Guy-Head-Nod.gif

Clear, straight to tihe point answer. Yes.

It's like Nunchuks are already in my inventory...

Why do you ever bother about 1 extra rubbish weapon that will be released for china ? who cares, let them have it... moove on ! You are like a bunch of kids from who big daddy stolen the lolly pop... We got tons of useless weapons, and this one will be a useless weapon as well, that no one will ever use ! Its just for marketing purpose ! and nothin else ! 1 weapon more, 1 weapon less, still best weapon of choice for DPS will be Dakra Prime and Scindo Prime !

lol true dat

They didn't say they didn't have time, they said the animation was proving incredibly difficult. They have more than one animator, I'm assuming one or two work on each weapon so one team is cranking out relatively simple weapons while another is stuck on the biting sword with wip hook.

I can understand the difficulty, it's not like there is a lot of reference to work off of with a weapon like Mios.

Ah, don't try to bring logic to a rant. Actual FACTS mean nothing when people are busy finding ways to complain.

Mios is different from every single weapon out there. It has ASPECTS of sword and whip, so of course, anyone can simply mash the two disparate animations together and add them to the game. Simple. Really. It is all so simple. All they have to do is what people on the forums say and everything will work right the first time. We all know this. And of course, the tooth fairy WILL drop a million dollars under your pillow tonight too.

I would like to see more Chinese style weapons.

Edited by Kalenath

The item shown in that video is coming to the Global Build - the 'exclusive' label is for a limited time for promotional/launch reasons on the Chinese Warframe.

*hugs and cries*

Yess!

Thanks alot for clarifying this, finally, so all this "We won´t get this or that" can stop now.

Ah, don't try to bring logic to a rant. Actual FACTS mean nothing when people are busy finding ways to complain.

Mios is different from every single weapon out there. It has ASPECTS of sword and whip, so of course, anyone can simply mash the two disparate animations together and add them to the game. Simple. Really. It is all so simple. All they have to do is what people on the forums say and everything will work right the first time. We all know this. And of course, the tooth fairy WILL drop a million dollars under your pillow tonight too.

I would like to see more Chinese style weapons.

B-But-

I want the tooth-fairy to make me rich! D:

if the weapon designer red skittlez is to be believed when he said he PM'd one of the animators giving them a video as reference, and also what kind of weapon its like, then Mios is a kusurigama a weapon that does exist

also the question remains, why is it that instead of taking that time to animate mios why have they released 3 new weapons that needed substantial time and work to animation since the community contest? weapons that were not contest winners, I have no problem with us getting claws, gunblades and nunchucks, I have an issue with them prioritizing those over something that has been on their back burner for over a year

Why oh why hasn't DE managed to come up with battle animations for a completely new fictional weapon that has no existing fighting style at all, and instead managed to produce several weapons based on real weapons and/or weapons that appear in other games?

HOW DARE they not create a new fighting form as fast as they copy existing things? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM!

Anyone else could've easily imagined a full fledged combat regime for a weapon unlike any that ever was!

if the weapon designer red skittlez is to be believed when he said he PM'd one of the animators giving them a video as reference, and also what kind of weapon its like, then Mios is a kusurigama a weapon that does exist

also the question remains, why is it that instead of taking that time to animate mios why have they released 3 new weapons that needed substantial time and work to animation since the community contest? weapons that were not contest winners, I have no problem with us getting claws, gunblades and nunchucks, I have an issue with them prioritizing those over something that has been on their back burner for over a year

And having looked up some info on the kusurigama, videos of the aforementioned can only help so much in creating animations for the weapon as it would need to perform in warframe. It additionally opened up a number of design questions that would need to be answered before animations could even start to be made. This has some very stark contrast with other weapons, where the functionality can be stated relatively simply, then animations made, and functionality made around those animations. Heck, I can already see this weapon having some MASSIVE differences between stances. Just adding a Kusarigama to the game would be complex, not only with the animation complexity, but also in deciding function and general usage within Warframe, as many of those actions were pretty specific to 1v1 combat against a combatant with sword.

Additionally, the Kusarigama was specifically a sickle on end, and a weight on the other. The Mios is a sword that would be relatively complex on it's own thanks to it opening on one end, and a hook on the other. This FURTHER complicates things, since the usage of the Kusarigama was quite specific to that fact, especially regarding the weight.

Oh ok and what's so special about it? I mean, it looks like a single version of the Dual Ichors

Well, it's effectively battle-scissors with no less than 3 sharp blades, all used in conjunction, and a ripline-style grapplinghook tail.

Completely unlike anything you've ever seen(unless it was treated as merely yet-another sword).

Treating it as yet-another sword would do it great injustice, though, so they seem to be trying to come up with battle combos that you'd use for something that has a grappling hook, scissor blades, and an in-swing cutting edge.

Unfortunately, as there is nothing else on earth like this, there's nothing to base this on. It's all up their imaginations and what "works" and "doesn't work"... and part of it sounds like it would need the upcoming return of charge attacks to function properly, as it was originally designed when charge attacks first existed, and that is a core concept to the function of it.

Why oh why hasn't DE managed to come up with battle animations for a completely new fictional weapon that has no existing fighting style at all, and instead managed to produce several weapons based on real weapons and/or weapons that appear in other games?

HOW DARE they not create a new fighting form as fast as they copy existing things? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM!

Anyone else could've easily imagined a full fledged combat regime for a weapon unlike any that ever was!

in response to claims that it is like no weapon ever seen, a little bit from the mouth of the weapon designer

warframe__melee_concept_contest___the_mi

Inspired by a Kusari-Gama:

When I first showed the weapon to the devs and they asked me how it would be used I replied with this video but I am expecting it to be toned down a little, animation wise. https://youtu.be/vhRYy59w2wU?t=1

Mios is based off of a kusarigama an actual japanese weapon, a bladed weapon (typically a kama) connected to a chain with a weighted object at the other end, its an existing weapon, and its also a weapon that has been done in games before.

so the whole "there is no weapon like it" argument holds no water

also the infamous "well they haven't worked on it because its more difficult" lets blow that out of the water while we are it shall we? What would happen if at work you failed to do a task that you had to do, that you were assigned, and when asked why you did not do it you reply to your boss "because its too haaaaaaard, I wanna do this other thing instead" that essentially is what is going on when they do stuff like this, when they ignore a project that was assigned a long tie before another is even talked about and they push it off in order to do something else.

the fact that it is so hard should be all the more reason to get it over with, knock it off your bloody plate and get on to other jobs. 

lets not forget that this is a weapon that has been on their to do list for a rather longtime, its nto something they just came out and talked about a few months ago, this is a weapon that was a contest winner from a contest held a substantial amount of time before melee 2.0, in the time since that contest they some how found time to work on 3 new grip styles that were not planned before the contest was held and they did not have an obligation to get in the game

to sum it all up, this is a weapon based off of a real weapon, and the designer has given reference material to the devs. and you dont ignore a task because its "too hard:

f2c637aca891df7a7046ff6ff2752ce7.png

A player designed melee weapon that was announced a month ago, still not in game.

actually it was announced a year and a half ago

lots of whinging

Get over yourself and stop trying to rush it.

I want the damned thing to be GOOD, not NOW.

I'm sorry that you hate the idea of having something done right, but the rest of us dislike sloppy work.

Get over yourself and stop trying to rush it.

I want the damned thing to be GOOD, not NOW.

I'm sorry that you hate the idea of having something done right, but the rest of us dislike sloppy work.

oh trust me I want it to be wonderful too, and my issue is not that its taking so long (though you have to admit a year and a half is a bloody long time) my issue is there have been times where they claimed the reason there is no progress on the weapon is they have no time for it and have to focus on more important things, yet some how they found time to design, model, and animate 3 new grip types, all 3 of which were not something they talked about doing before the contest or started working on before the contest that gave us silva aegis, kronen and mios.

basically my issue is instead of working on the thing they should have already been working on they throw it on the back burner for new projects that they don't have an obligation to complete

oh trust me I want it to be wonderful too, and my issue is not that its taking so long (though you have to admit a year and a half is a bloody long time) my issue is there have been times where they claimed the reason there is no progress on the weapon is they have no time for it and have to focus on more important things, yet some how they found time to design, model, and animate 3 new grip types, all 3 of which were not something they talked about doing before the contest or started working on before the contest that gave us silva aegis, kronen and mios.

basically my issue is instead of working on the thing they should have already been working on they throw it on the back burner for new projects that they don't have an obligation to complete

What makes you so certain these are "new projects"? What makes you so certain that it's so simplistic? What makes you think third-place in a contest should take priority over everything else planned befoe then?

I mean, really, again, as I said:

1. It technically needs charge mechanics in game. They are not in game. That's a huge stopping point all by itself.

2. The images look NOTHING like a kusarigama, it only vaguely resembles one, and even making something like that work properly is a task in and of itself.

3. It has a bunch of extra functions(scissors, sword, whip, and grappling hook) ON TOP of the kusarigama function, so a proper battle stance would have to use some combinations of all of these in it. Again, that is not like anything else that exists, as much as you want to pretend it is.

4. The other weapons that came before it, EVEN IF THEY WERE STARTED AFTERWARDS, have either one function, or in the case of the gunblade, 2, but it's not particularly difficult to imagine how you'd use something that merely points to deal damage. In the case of "you hit people with it" simplicity of the others, there's no explanation needed at all.

5. A year and a half for something that requires code the game doesn't have and fighting styles that don't exist, is more than reasonable even if they didn't have a ton of other things to do, even with something far less complex than this.

6.They don't actually have any obligation to complete this, ever. They want to make it, but they don't have to make it, and it's kind of lame for you to pretend otherwise. It didn't even win the competition it was in. So your obsession is completely unwarranted.

So again, it will be done when it's done, and they've decided they want to do it, so it will be here eventually. Whining about "WHY NOT YET!" is entirely uncalled for, and makes you a bad person. So stop.

So again, it will be done when it's done, and they've decided they want to do it, so it will be here eventually. Whining about "WHY NOT YET!" is entirely uncalled for, and makes you a bad person. So stop.

But we ALL know that a random forum poster has FAR more in-depth knowledge in what goes into the actual game's code than the people making the game. After all, if they demand it NOW, then it MUST be delivered NOW. Because.

Frankly? I want it too. I think it is FAR cooler than the Sword and Board myself (No offense SilverBones, just not a fan of shields). But I want it to WORK RIGHT rather than be rushed.

You did put one thing out there, Lyssa. DE is under NO obligation to actually GIVE us ANY of this. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded. They WANT to. They want us to keep playing the game, to keep buying plat or bringing in new players and to do that, they need to keep us happy and interested. But they are under no OBLIGATION to.

Edited by Kalenath