Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's "vibe", Or What It Used To Have (Nostalgic Opinion Inside)

NoeleVeerod

I don't know how many of us here will know what I mean, but I've been getting this feeling quite often.

Despite the issues and the bugs, I can see the game slowly improving and progressing. But something got lost during the journey.

The sounds of Warframe completely changed its identity. It began when melee sounds were changed, then at some point more recently (I think U14, when Archwing stepped in) the complete overhaul of sounds turned Warframe into another game completely, the new soundtrack (which is really good) being another contribution in that direction. Even the UI overhaul contributed to shake the vibe of the first stages of the game off. Again, I can't really tell which is better, although I'm slightly biased towards the new UI.

Is it better or worse? I can't tell. I'm still having fun.

But it doesn't feel the same at all. The original Dark Sector concept trailer brought back some good memories, as did my first videos, despite their terrible quality and resolution.

Let's say I do sometimes miss the "Taiko feel" from the early days of Warframe, even though at the core it's the same game.

Does anyone else feel like Warframe has a completely different face, not only just aesthetically, and feels like a completely different game?

I disagree. I played Warframe quite a while ago when it was pretty barebones.

Now it feels almost the same, but better. There's more to it.

I only hold to such nostalgic feelings when the 'good old days' were actually better than today, like with Starcraft or something.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Well, it's all perspective on this one, for those who are currently joining there isn't much change everything is new, for those who are veterans who still play it's in the middle, there isn't really a different vibe, maybe more people but it's still the same, You're a lonely island, you join people when you think something is hard, and you solo when you know you'll do it faster than someone else. Yes, it's a bit lighter than before (Looks like a rave party half the time than stealthy ninjas).

giphy.gif

How I picture Booben.

Edited by ChloeSakuna

"Vibe" is a very hard thing to define. London had a definite "new" and "exciting" vibe when I first visited. After three years living there... meh. Has it lost anything? Nope. Have I gotten used to it? Most likely.

I think you shouldn't mix how the game has changed and how you have changed while playing the game. The point of view of a player who has four frames and really wants to get to MR6 to get the Soma is not the same point of view of a player who has all frames and could go to MR19 if he could be bothered to rank up some bad weapon and goodness me the game is so flashy and oh the music is so different and meh it's no longer the game it used to be.

It's probably more accurate to say you're feeling the effects of burnout. Those of us that have been playing for the last 2+ years saw everything as it came, instead of as one big package. Nothing is ever going to feel the same as when you experienced it for the first time.

Though on that note, I'd hate to be a new player, facing the mountain of weapons that we have available.

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

I've been here since CBT, when corpus and grineer share the same tile set, and I can only say is, this game got improved drastically over time, things are not that hard to acquire if you compared this game from almost all of the online games out there.

the only thing I been quite disappointed about is the lack of varieties of Cosmetic items ingame ex:skins,etc I wish DE can put more of it, not one or two, but hopefully more than that sooner.

Never forget... (ಥ﹏ಥ)

I miss the old Gorgon sound, and the fact that it was a pretty alright weapon back then.

The 'vibe' of Warframe (in my opinion) was much better back when I started playing. No ability spamming, no ridiculous weapons, a functioning UI (and starchart), no void grind, no prime bs and a completely different tone. I think it's weird that Warframe was at its best back when I ran through the starchart, all on the same tileset, with the same frame (Mag was awesome, single-target abilities were so much fun to use) and the same weapons. It felt very differently from now and I miss it. Given the choice, I'd take the old Warframe any day. No hesitation.

"More" happened to be the enemy of "better" in this case, the ol' quality vs quantity thing.

Carrier made me accept sentinels as a mandatory helper, also pre-nerf Shade was decent.

Before Damage 2.0 all basic elemental damage was useful. Sniping in Void with 100% freezing Lato was really fun.

Charge attacks were awesome, all these needed was a slight polish. Also, there was no need for full melee mode, having fluid switch between gunning and slashing is not as good now and some melee are very poor in quick use - I point at you repeating swing machete.

Kubrows as companions - a matter of taste and investment but I personally stopped using them and never missed them.

Archwing had horrible beginning and still stands out, the grind is awful and rewards pitiful, playing it is boring. There is nothing to explore and interceptions become really tedious rather fast.

I could go deeper but it's the basics that made me interested in this game and now I miss more things that are gone than enjoy the newly introduced.

I hope this will change soon with returning charge attacks and parkour 2.0.

Edited by Sannidor

I have felt Warframe slowly losing its "darkness". I don't know what it is, but something changed. Somehow, it just doesn't feel gritty and dark enough.

I agrea with all the funny cephalons and characters you cant really take for serious  like darvo (which i love nonetheless) the game has gotten "soft".

I really like to see some scenarioas in the game that make you really hate a specific villain, something sad, and maybe even cruel, that touches you.

The only thing close to this was alad V dismembering a tenno in the "Prophet" trailer.

Also the stalker is a very serious and interesting charakter of which we need more.

Besides that WE, the Tenno are the most interesting Characters. From all that we know every single one of them has suffered in the void and must have seen many terrifying and  heartbreaking things during the old war.

Why dont we get to SEE any of those?

We read interesting stories from simaris and the codex (not all of them Tenno-related but still) but there arent any flasbacks or cutscenes that would at least give us a hind of what we were.

I think the changing vibe is due to us learning more and becoming more powerful. Back with the darker and gritty vibe the game was still bare bones, we were weak as hell and we knew almost nothing except everything was trying to kills us. We didn't know why and we barely knew who/what they were.

Fast forward the 2 years we're now demigods that know a hell of a lot more than we used to. We've lost that subconscious terror of everything that used to be present back in the early stages of the game that came from knowing nothing about what we were fighting.

Not a bad thing, progression is needed and it makes sense for the vibe of the game to change as it evolves. It's still got that overall dark and #*($%%@ up theme to it. It's just less ominous than it used to be. 

Edited by DecapitatingJim

Power creep isn't really a good thing.

Also we really don't know much more now than we did 2 years ago lol

The whole lightening of the tone is mainly with the VO stuff, the way ordis speaks on the liset is comical.  Which kills the dark vibe.

Oooh c'mon man, I made a megathread like dis some months ago...

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/340736-warframes-vibe-is-it-really-vanishingmegathread-attempt/

Never forget.. (*´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥﹏°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ )人(´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

Sorry Chloe, but although the song is cool, this vid is way too recent for the people who came here... :p

Vivergate is like yesterday!...

Edited by unknow99

I disagree. I played Warframe quite a while ago when it was pretty barebones.

Now it feels almost the same, but better. There's more to it.

I only hold to such nostalgic feelings when the 'good old days' were actually better than today, like with Starcraft or something.

Same.

Sure, I have not enjoyed a few changes and DE's decisions, but more in general I saw this game growing and getting better and better in the last 2 years of playing.

I do remember some additions or 2.0 that quite shocked me at first, but now after testing them a bit I can just see them as an improvement.

Edited by siralextraffo

I think what changed the "vibe" of Warframe is that the theme went from black to white.

It is how colors changed in this game.

Everything is so bright now in the game. But when I started playing,everything,from tilesets to arsenal to foundary,had a darker theme. And by darker,I mean blackish.

Even the starchart background was black in the old UI,its so bright now.

Colors play a major role on how we perceive things.