Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Wish Warframe On Mac :(

RoyalSphinX

DE is going to have to remake the game so that it runs on Mac. Honestly, its not worth it. You should also take into consideration the various restrictions Mac has pertaining to games in general. I also don't think a Mac would have enough resources/power to handle Warframe.

Macs were not even meant for heavy gaming as far as I know.

Oh my god the ignorance. Yes a Mac isn't a perfect gaming rig. Yes it could run Warframe just fine.

i does not have the proper heat management, and the specs are sub par. Can it run warframe? Yes many pcs can run warframe. Can it run well? hell no.

Macs aren't perfect period ur spending cash on the air pockets inside.

i don't think the target Market demographic may be large enough for Digital Extremes to bother.

- - - - - 

however, i see some righteous idiots.

Mac's are completely capable of playing any and all games with good performance. provided there's a Mac version, ofcourse.

saying they are incapable of or would have terrible performance playing games due to hardware is extremely naive and shows you know little about the Computing Industry.

i may not like them, but i do not lie about them just because i don't like them. that is immature and despicable.

Edited by taiiat

If you want to play games on a Mac, your gonna have a bad time.

Getting a game to work natively on a mac requires recoding the entire thing to run on mac architecture, which is obviously going to take alot of time and effort.

Secondly, macs aren't built for gaming. Sure they have decent specs, but a decent gaming pc will tar and feather them. And given that you cannot upgrade a mac beyond adding some more ram, which won't help all that much.

If you have a mac and want to play games with it, your course of action is to install bootcamp, build a windows partition and play on that.

Gaming on macs is like taking a prius to a car race

i don't think the target Market demographic may be large enough for Digital Extremes to bother.

- - - - -

however, i see some righteous idiots.

Mac's are completely capable of playing any and all games with good performance. provided there's a Mac version, ofcourse.

saying they are incapable of or would have terrible performance playing games due to hardware is extremely naive and shows you know little about the Computing Industry.

i may not like them, but i do not lie about them just because i don't like them. that is immature and despicable.

Mostly this^

I have used Macs both professionally and casually. And for games. There are many Mac ported and optimized games. And they run fine. Back in the day, Unreal Tournament ran on PowerPC Macs as the most optimal platform. And now there are more Macs than ever. If DE can get in a position to port, they will. I will for one will play use it., though I am super deep on my PS4 account. Though, I might be able to get that Rubedo skin for Rhino!!!

i does not have the proper heat management, and the specs are sub par. Can it run warframe? Yes many pcs can run warframe. Can it run well? hell no.

My mac can run Metro Last Light pretty damn well.

And that game is way more graphically intensive than WF is.

If you own a Mac, you have more money than I do, because I threw all my money into picking and choosing each part, for the most optimized customization and performance. Macs have great marketing, and their internals are ok, but it still will not beat a custom built desktop, with all of the parts. Then again, if you do build a custom computer be prepared to RMA stuff that doesn't work, and not having warranty. : /

Edited by ChloeSakuna

If you own a Mac, you have more money than I do, because I threw all my money into picking and choosing each part, for the most optimized customization and performance. Macs have great marketing, and their internals are ok, but it still will not beat a custom built desktop, with all of the parts. Then again, if you do build a custom computer be prepared to RMA stuff that doesn't work, and not having warranty. : /

Exactly. I could custom build my car, or mod a new one, but I can't expect the manufacture to cover it when it wigs out. In this way it is more a matter of personal preference. As far as cost goes, I payed about 40% more for a computer that has lasted me 6 years, and the one I gave my brother is going on 10. 

Getting a game to work natively on a mac requires recoding the entire thing to run on mac architecture, which is obviously going to take alot of time and effort.

Secondly, macs aren't built for gaming. Sure they have decent specs, but a decent gaming pc will tar and feather them. And given that you cannot upgrade a mac beyond adding some more ram, which won't help all that much.

i'm going to have to nitpick a bit.

the hardware is all the same nowadays, but yes, MacOS is not compatible with the data Windows handles.

you might be surprised what you can put in a Mac. it won't be cheap ofcourse (but that isn't the point here).

a Processor that's about equal with any affordable consumer Processor, a 4790k.

some of the best Mobile GPU's that exist. 780M's and R9 M295x, Et Cetera. they're Mobile GPU's, but they're some of the best ones out there.

plenty of RAM.

mid-high grade SSD's.

Then again, if you do build a custom computer be prepared to RMA stuff that doesn't work, and not having warranty. : /

neither of these is true. unless you're buying from shady manufacturers RMA'ing parts is very rare.

and the components you're buying have fantastic Warranties if, again, not shady manufacturers.

most of the components in my machine either have Lifetime Warranties, or upwards of 5-7 year Warranties. some aren't quite that good, only 3 years or so.

you only Void those Warranties if you disassemble your components, break seals, grind them into pieces, or other things that the average consumer has no need to do.

taking components, plugging them together, and pressing the power button doesn't Void Warranties.

ofcourse, there's enthusiast products that still have Warranties. GPU's that you're free to replace the Heatsink with a Liquid Block, Et Cetera.

and products tend usually last much, much, much longer than their Warranties. i'd been enjoying my Samsung Monitor from 2007 until just recently. 3 year Warranty that it came with (damn good Warranty). bought it June 2007, and it ran for 6.5 Years perfectly. then a couple Capacitors on the Power Board went. not a big deal, $0.50 repair.

last week, the fluorescent and probably part of the Power Board went. no complaints here. might have be >$400 when i bought it at its brand new to the market price, but it worked fantastic until then. i really can't complain, that's just a month short if 8 years!

gives me an excuse to buy a nicer Monitor now. i'll be reusing the Stand from my Samsung Monitor though, damn good stand. way better than anything anyone sells with their Monitors nowadays.

other components, such as Intel Processors, tend to last more than a Decade. Hard Drives, more than a Decade. Et Cetera.

- - - - - 

please do not try to scare prospective consumers with misinformation.

Edited by taiiat

All this Mac hate. I owned a Mac for 12 years and a PC for one year and I've had so many problems and replacements I've had to take care of since I've used my PC. Don't get me wrong, I love my *rig*, but I'm a recording artist and my Mac was way superior in every way when it came to dealing with media (f**king audio drivers, man. Pisses me off).

/rant

But yeah PC is for gaming and it's cheap. Just do Bootcamp or something, for real. Why would you even use your Mac for gaming? That's not what they're built for. You goof. Sorry but Warframe will probably never come to Macintosh, it would take forever to code and honestly it wouldn't be worth the effort. You can build a decent PC for <$700. That's not too bad tbh.

My mac can run Metro Last Light pretty damn well.

And that game is way more graphically intensive than WF is.

You would think it is, but it isn't. And this has everything to do with the amount of moving things rendered to the screen. Once you get swarmed by 20+ enemies is where it gets REALLY interesting. Each single enemy might not look as spiffy as they do in M:LL, but the amount of meshes add up..

This is from macworld, an article about "best mac for gaming":

You may be tempted to buy a MacBook Pro with Retina display. It’s an amazing machine, but the Retina Display (which offers a very high resolution) is best for displaying text and photographs. Most games don’t run at the full resolution because this requires more CPU and graphics power; which slows the game down. We found that switching down to the lower resolutions helped performance a great deal, while still looking crisp and clear. It’s arguable whether, as a gamer, you’ll get any real benefit from the Retina Display, but of course there are many times when you won’t be gaming and then it looks rather wonderful

Everything that is stated here makes me shudder as a hardcore gamer. From the "offers a very high resolution" (which? at what fps?) all the way to the "many times when you won’t be gaming" (SO WHAT???? So my desktop will look great? wooohooo)

But there's more....

The iMac comes with either a 21.5-inch display, a gorgeous 27in H-IPS display, or the recently released visual wonder that is the 27” Retina 5K display. While all of them are excellent surfaces, we were very pleasantly surprised to find the Retina iMac had no issues running our benchmark games, and looked spectacular in the process. If you have the money then it really is the best you can buy.

Ok.. so let's have a look at what these machines will cost. Going for the 27" ofcourse, because that's what I'm having now.. (looks) eeeh... LIKE HELL... the one that is a bit acceptable already does ~$2000 and doesn't even come close to my current $1200 rig. "If you have the money then it really is the best you can buy": no, it is most certainly not.
But the bottomline is: this game uses directx. there's no directx support for the mac (afaik). Like stated before, to make this run on a mac they would have to rebuild large parts of the engine, probably to OpenGL. I vote they don't.

edit: formatting :P
Edited by ComCray