Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Build, Only Crit? Or With Elemental Mods?

Evansmaan

Question

I used Warframe-Builder, but I'm not sure which is more effective(due to people say Warframe-Builder isn't accurate)(I didn't use any Fire Rate Mods though). Which is better? And does Critical Delay worth to use? The critical chance rate bonus is too low compared to Point Strike. Is it better to use another mod in that slot?

Edited by Evansmaan

crit+elemental with forma you can do it ....i dont like or use fire rate mods on soma but that depends on playstyle. Critical delay? dont bother.. Anyways are we speaking of normal soma or prime? cause soma p has a bit of increased fire rate

Edited by xDesconocidox

It's always good to have elemental mods, depending on the combinations of course. Crits affect elemental damage as well, if that's where the misunderstanding is.

Critical Delay might be nice for ammo efficiency, i guess, but people will say DPS would be lowered because of this. Just Speed Trigger might make the weapon less effective , so try using Shred. The punch through means you won't waste 20 shots on a rag dolled enemy. I almost never run without it.

Not sure about others,but I use the following -

1. Serration

2. Split Chamber

3. Point Strike

4. Vital Sense

5. Hammer Shot

6. Hellfire

7. Strombringer

8. Infected Clip

- I do not use Heavy Caliber because I do not enjoy the reduction in accuracy. But if you want to use it,I would say go upto 105% damage on it and use it instead of Hammer Shot.

- Hammer Shot gives you a 8.4x crit multiplier. Without it,it is 5.6x,as far as I remember. It is quite an amount of damage.

- I use Radiation for Alloy Armor.

- I use Toxin for Ferrite Armor and it also bypasses Shields and Proto-Shields,so it is good against Corpus as well.

- Soma has enough Slash damage to deal with Infested. Don't worry about those.

That is my allrounder Soma build.

You will need 3 Formas,as far as I remember.

Every single half decent build of any weapon in the game uses at least 2 elemental mods to create a combined element of choice with great damage bonuses against a specific enemy you will be facing. Matching the element to the enemy according to this wiki page is a big reason why you need slightly different builds for each enemy faction. 

fBUFDLU.jpg

Just posted this in the other Soma build thread.

I max the possible crit build then add in the dual elemental that effects the enemy your facing.

I use Corrosive on Config A for low to mid tier Grineer missions, only trading in for Radiation if I'm expecting to have to fight alot of superheavies.

I use Magnetic for corpus on my Config B, and on  Config C it's my Void build of corrosive, Cold.

If you have Serration with no elemental mods, a single 90% elemental mod will add more damage than Heavy Caliber. That's how important it is to have at least a few elemental mods. At least 2, and usually no more than 4.

As for the Soma specifically, NN13's build looks good, changing elements to whatever is preferred.

1. Serration

2. Split Chamber

3. Point Strike

4. Vital Sense

5. Hammer Shot

6. Hellfire

7. Strombringer

8. Infected Clip

fBUFDLU.jpg

I max the possible crit build then add in the dual elemental that effects the enemy your facing.

I use Corrosive on Config A for low to mid tier Grineer missions, only trading in for Radiation if I'm expecting to have to fight alot of superheavies.

I use Magnetic for corpus on my Config B, and on  Config C it's my Void build of corrosive, Cold.

No split chamber?

Slightly off topic but can someone explain why Hammershot is so bad for general builds? I understand it's pointless on Soma series as there's notstatus to boost but I have used Hammershot on my status/crit build Grakata and Latron Wraith and Primes'. 

Edited by (PS4)TheYetiMan22

No split chamber?

Absolutely, what TheYetiMan22 is saying (and others have mentioned), put split chamber on. Serration and Split chamber are the two absolute musts for primary. Others are important but these are your two immediate damage boosts.

Not necessarily KracsNZ, I had an alternate build then my screenshot where I basically too out the elemental damage mods and hammer shot to make room for the max split chamber (cost 15) So I was basically running a single elemental damage version of what I had posted up and it seemed to do significantly less damage to enemies. I was using up more ammo for the same number of enemies. So with out the bonus damage of running the right elemental damage types vs. the right enemies the extra bullets from split chamber was less effective.

Not necessarily KracsNZ, I had an alternate build then my screenshot where I basically too out the elemental damage mods and hammer shot to make room for the max split chamber (cost 15) So I was basically running a single elemental damage version of what I had posted up and it seemed to do significantly less damage to enemies. I was using up more ammo for the same number of enemies. So with out the bonus damage of running the right elemental damage types vs. the right enemies the extra bullets from split chamber was less effective.

That's not a one to one trade off. What you did is not supposed to be done, that's why you forma weapons. You are not comparing apples to apples here. You traded two mods for split chamber, in the process, you forfeited a 1.75 multiplier on ferrite armor. Do the numbers. Your build with split chamber instead of hammer shot will put out more in expected damage per bullet(shot). Split chamber will net you more gains than hammer shot. You are supposed to forma a weapon so you don't do what you did. As you add elemental multipliers you end up still with more damage from split chamber than hammer shot.

this is what you have, after theoretically maxing everything, assuming a 33.6 multiplier on crit headshot, your expected damage per shot is 1,483.73

4kwCEp4.png

This is what you should have compared it to, assuming a 26.4 multiplier on headshots, the critical damage is 2,220.936

GiplvTf.png

These are the elemental mods you should strive to run on it, keeping that ammo mutation that shouldn't be there

Xx5h1ZD.png

Edited by nms64

The problem with Ammo Mutation in this context is that crit weapons really rely on the last few slots to multiply all their damage. With only 7 damage mods (necessary when running Ammo Mutation) you lose out on so much damage that you spend much more ammo killing each enemy, leading to far worse ammo efficiency - funny how that works, right? I wouldn't bother with it on Soma (or Amprex or any crit weapon, really).

fBUFDLU.jpg

This is the worst Soma P build someone has come up with. 

fBUFDLU.jpg

This is the worst Soma P build someone has come up with. 

actually, just replace the ammo mutate with Split Chamber and it becomes decent. Soma's 800 round backup-ammo capacity is not that high for its fire rate, but I find it enough to use in most cases. Just exercise trigger discipline and marksmanship to increase ammo efficiency without losing effective dps.

actually, just replace the ammo mutate with Split Chamber and it becomes decent. Soma's 800 round backup-ammo capacity is not that high for its fire rate, but I find it enough to use in most cases. Just exercise trigger discipline and marksmanship to increase ammo efficiency without losing effective dps.

And change the status mods for 90% mods and he is set for even more damage because soma is not a status weapon

Edited by nms64

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Soma_prime/t_30_23002222_131-3-5-132-0-5-133-2-5-137-7-10-140-4-5-141-1-5-150-6-6-159-5-5_132-8-141-6-133-11-131-11-140-5-159-5-150-6-137-7/en/2-0-65

Just use this. You can take up Heavy Caliber a couple of ranks if you don't mind the loss in accuracy. Full Heavy Caliber and a dual stat will give similar damage. Modding the Soma isn't supposed to be rocket science, but looking at some of these builds makes me think it is.

Change your combos accordingly.

Edited by JuanDeages

And change the status mods for 90% mods and he is set for even more damage because soma is not a status weapon

lol true. I just say it was "decent", and taking into consideration availability of mods and ability to ranking them. imo, the status vs pure damage is minor. The lack of a split chamber was the main "flaw" in that build.

When I first started using the Soma I thought that pure Crit was the only way to go but having no elements really hurt the weapon. Elemental combos are more effective then adding Critical Delay and Hammer Shot.

I always use a maxed out Heavy Calibur because I would rather have the bullets do more damage. Plus I am maining the Amprex now.

My set up is:

Serration

Heavy Calibur

Split Chamber

Point Strike

Vital Sense

Stormbringer

Hellfire

Infected Clip

(all maxed out) 4 FORMA

I don't use Ammo Mutations anymore because your secondary weapon and Melee weapon should be good enough to use while collecting more rifle ammo or use a team ammo restore.

So go Crit/Elemtental

Edited by (PS4)Joshuaalt