Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Gonna Be That Guy For Just A Second..

BlutAdler

I'm sorry. This has been sitting on my mind now for a little while, and I ask this with the best intentions without malice in my heart..

Do you guys believe that some of the things that are revealed from the back-end workings of Warframe sort of... diminish the experience and verisimilitude of the Warframe universe sometimes?

I don't mean when parkour 2.0 is being demo'd in devstreams, but things such as learning that Reb voices Lotus and Scott voices Vay Hek or learning that the void is going to be blown up and a large part of the reason revolves around issues with the player-base's gaming experience and longevity rather than something lore related.

How do you feel about this, I'd love to hear your perspectives on the matter?

This is not to scapegoat anyone for this occurrence, nor do I believe it is something "wrong", however I personally feel that sometimes additions to Warframe, while sometimes being cleverly implemented, has its value reduced or it's novelty worn out before either being fully realized and/or developed.

I don't have a problem with it at all. It's a big part of why Warframe and its devs are respected. They are quite transparent with us about how things are going in terms of progress.

Other companies would just say "delayed. Delayed. Oh sorry guys delayed again." and not give you a clue how progress is coming along.

Also, for them when they showcase stuff it gives us the chance to give our feedback on it so they can do adjustments accordingly.

It lessens the impact for when it happens, yes.

But it also allows DE see the reaction of the playerbase, remember Broken Lights? We didnt have any warning and blew up in the forums.

Imagine if DE made the void explosion and the "generated" missions without warning us? The rage would be sooooo not funny. With the forewarning they will know what we dread about those types of things while keeping mostly to themselves, allowing them to change things in a way that pleases their players without having to scrap everything should they keep it hidden and make it blow up on their faces.

Not at all.  In fact, such things are one of the reasons that I adore Warframe as much as I do.  This isn't some Hollywood studio, that can have all these big names come in, to do voice-over work, and that's part of the charm.  There's a part of me that smirks a bit, when the Lotus has a bit of that Canadian accent in her speech.  (Not poking fun.  Just find it amusing, is all.)  And, Valkyr's voice is one of the reasons she's one of my favorite frames.  (That, and the invincibility, and free one-shot kills against heavy units...)  I actually really like knowing the faces behind voices, and if they're heavily involved in other aspects of the product, that's an even bigger bonus.

As for things like the imminent Void-splosion, I think it's great that they're telling people about those sorts of things.  For one, it allows the playerbase to prepare for change.  I've seen a lot of games die out, after a big change was made, and people learned that they basically had to start all over again.  And, honestly, making the change first, and writing the plot around it, is probably the better method of doing things.  That way, you make sure it's mechanically sound, first, and once you have all the details worked out, then you can write the lore bits around it, without stepping on as many loose ends.  Also, it gives the feel of an ever-evolving universe, determined by the actions of the players themselves.  (Sounds like the empty promises of some other game that came out not that long ago...)

As has been said.  DE keeping in contact with the players is something that not a whole lot of devs do.  And that very interaction with the community not only makes players feel like they're actually a part of something, but also strengthens the trust and loyalty, between the developer, and the players.  Sure, DE may make some questionable changes, but they do, at least listen to feedback, and even respond accordingly...  Sometimes...

There have only ever been two games, in all my years of playing, that I got more into than Warframe, one of which I played, exclusively, for nearly three years, until it inevitably died.  And that game didn't even have a shred of dev support to it...  It was just fun to play, and completely unique from any other game out there.  If DE keeps going the way they have, I'll probably be playing Warframe until they kill the servers.

Yes and no. On the one hand it would be nice if I retained a bit of mystery for myself, and on the other I made a conscious decision to listen to the dev streams. Personally I find it extremely refreshing when the developers of a game are as open about their project as DE is with us and it's a major reason why I've stuck around for as long as I have.

I like to think that there are an infinite number of universes out there to cover every form of existence, which pleases to think that in one universe there's the dragon Smaug and Bilbo Baggins while in an alternate universe they're best buds who fight crime as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. 

While in another parallel universe, the Tenno are actually just kids and people who play computer games not realizing that they're actually controlling Warframes that infiltrate and disrupt clandestine military offensives across the solar system.

So, no it doesn't bother me.

Edited by KnotOfMetal

This is very interesting to hear and I thank you guys on sharing your POV on the matter. I guess maybe I feel like this personally because I thought the bit of mystery is what gives something longevity and builds a sense of mystery and illusion when you don't know much more than the game itself and a shallow glimpse of its underworkings.

Well, voice acting wise, that's actually really great news.

I mean, Lotus is a really important character.  And Warframe is constantly expanding, so there's always more Lotus lines we're going to need.

Having the voice actor as permanent staff means you're not likely to run into a situation like happened in Mass Effect 2's arrival DLC.  Seth Green wasn't available, so any lines that you would reasonably expect to be Joker's had to be delivered by a different voice actor, and Joker didn't say anything at all.

Since Joker was kind of known for being the chatty type, it was rather jarring to have him silent.  But, with no Seth Green, there was no other option.  Having Rebecca on staff to deliver lines is a huge plus from a lore perspective, considering how often we need Lotus to say new stuff.

I would agree with you if the game had a more compelling plotline. If this was a story that had twists and turns and suddenly we find out that The Lotus is an upcoming boss, yes, I'd prefer not to be spoiled. But thus far, I don't really think we've encountered anything like that.

Most of the story development is done via events, and the devs are usually very sparse with details on upcoming events.

SCOTT VOICES VAY HEK?!

Okay, no derail for you.

No, I don't feel that any of those diminish the Warframe experience. With the things you mention, it makes the experience somewhat better, especially the Void destruction. I personally think it's a major pain in my rear right now. I don't know anything about StarChart 3.0, and neither does anyone else non Dev, but I have a feeling it will be better than the shattered keyboards, red faces, and teary eyes system we have currently.

Edited by LazerSkink

Yes and no. On the one hand it would be nice if I retained a bit of mystery for myself, and on the other I made a conscious decision to listen to the dev streams. Personally I find it extremely refreshing when the developers of a game are as open about their project as DE is with us and it's a major reason why I've stuck around for as long as I have.

Recently they seem to be deflecting most of the questions they are asked. Even Rebecca was getting upset at them during one of the last Devstreams. I wish they would be as open as Star Citizens devs. I also wish it had as much lore as Star Citizen does. Which is pretty sad because SC only has the alpha for one part of them game up and running so far.....

Edited by Avenwing

Back when I started warframe, I fell in love with it because of how the Lotus transmission was presented -- static image with robotic voice -- reminiscent of old games with (presumably) low budget. But things have since changed. I guess some like it that way.

...remember Broken Lights?

*fetal position*

triggered.jpg?w=320&h=371

Yeah, I prefer that -

a) the playerbase sees it coming and gets to give feedback on the idea, and

b) we don't end up with some half-baked bull in game that the devs refuse to remove for the sake of some tool's ego.