Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Few Thought's On Parkour 2.0 Showed In Devstream 55

Buzkyl

No this ain't no doomthread, just a Tenno giving his view on upcoming parkour changes as for what was shown in last Devstream.

The good

1. I love the increased mobility- I said mobility not speed (i'll get to that later). I greatly enjoy the added control we get to our jump in combinations with the incming double jumps. THis allows exploration to be much easier and reaching to high area's much simpler. I am a fan of the control the new system gives you

2.Bouncing off enemies has alot of potential Being able to create your own kockdown and be mobile at the same time opens up alot of possibility to further melee play.

3. Double jumps look cool - IN addition to being able to use everything as "wal"to jump on, being able to double jump appears to be great way to maintain midair control.

The Bad

1.It's far too bouncy- Make no mistake, i do enjoy the wall skips and double jumps but i also enjoy the look of Fluid wall running and control the (old) Parkour.20 promised us. To replace it all with what appears to be Sonic on space drugs. Why not have a compromise of the 2 systems?

Allow us to control the direction of our wall run (up and down on horizontal wall and left and right on vertical walls can't just directions on a whim, you now have to "latch" then proceed in opposite direction). But as you continue to wall run you gradually lose speed, you then perform a "hop" (as shown this stream) to regain some speed. This is but an idea, but the idea is to mix both system- The fluidity of the old parkour 2.0 wall runs with the bounciness of the new parkour 2.0

2.It looks quite slow- While i certainly am no speed junkie, I'd expect parkour 2.0 to allow us to replicate the speeds of coptering throught a skill based mechanic. But it appears t give us more control but take away our speed. Now while i was all for coptering to be removed, unless sprint speeds are increased across the board, slower frames are still going to be left behind. So let's try to brainstorm some idea?

JUmping off surfaces give you a smallspeed boost fr X seconds, when you latch onto another surfrace if you jump off it in X amount of time, you get another speed boost that will stack ontop of any previous boost. DOuble jumps will provideadditional seconds for you to find a latching point to maintain your speed boost.

Other extra thoughts

-Can we be allowed to jump from enemy to enemy? Because from what we're shown enemies at best are just walking jump pads. Being able to move between enemies will be such a massive buff to melee play.

- Latching onto walls willseem pretty useful for spy missions, I do hope that it's kept

-Will the wall running speeds be affected by warframe sprint speeds? If so well i'm sorry anyone who mains frost/rhino.

But enough of myramblings, your thoughts?

Edited by Buzkyl

They can't really call it Parkour anymore though.

They need to make up their own name, like Slowclimb, Snailcrawl, Turtlehopping.  Something along those lines.

In the meantime, I am impatiently waiting for my Prisma Walker so I can get ready for Parkour 2.0 and feel like a really old man and not a hyped up Tenno.

They can't really call it Parkour anymore though.

They need to make up their own name, like Slowclimb, Snailcrawl, Turtlehopping.  Something along those lines.

In the meantime, I am impatiently waiting for my Prisma Walker so I can get ready for Parkour 2.0 and feel like a really old man and not a hyped up Tenno.

Oh, so coptering was parkour, eh? It didn't look bad nor dorky? Parkour 2.0 (and it is parkour, whatever you might think of it) looks miles better and more usable.

The wall hopping replaced wall running because of the tilesets. They aren't really wall runnable like we want them to be and for the DE to get around redoing all the tilsets they did wall hopping. This allows them to keep the current tilesets and just adapt the parkour to these tilesets.

Wall hopping is just as fast as wall running it just looks slower because of the increased animations. If they just changed the animations to look better and slicker everyone would be happier.

Oh, so coptering was parkour, eh? It didn't look bad nor dorky? Parkour 2.0 (and it is parkour, whatever you might think of it) looks miles better and more usable.

Oh, no, no.  I don't especially care for coptering.

The change to how Tenno tackle the environment is just not Parkour is what I'm going on about.

"This is done using only the human body and the surroundings for propulsion, with a focus on maintaining as much momentum as possible while still remaining safe"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

I'll stick to calling it Turtlehopping and its practitioners Turtlehoppers.

Edited by DelialFallen

It may look slow but it looks like you have so much more control and precision over what you want to do or where you have to go. 

Personally I can't wait for it.

The question is what for in the end? The increased control and precision are nice but if the speed and agility are lost then it's not being an upgrade to the current parkour system because it's trading off one of the two things that are important to parkour for another.

The fancy hoppings are okay but in the end it's not going to surpass plain running, speed is one of the key aspects of warframe which should not be ignored. I am particularly upset that wallrung is being removed entirely, not only (IMO) does it look and feel a lot better (and cooler) but I see it as being far better for moving in a straight x/y axis than hopping.

it's slow and I can't see any reason to use it on any tileset aside from the novelty of it, which will run out in 20 minutes, tops.

I would be fine with it if it didn't remove the most efficient and widely used method to move around that existed since the game launched. Grinding is boring enough when you're going fast.

i agree completely with OP. Its great and all, but KEEP the wall running! You Devs put it in for a reason- wall running looks cool and fluid. Combine the two systems, and make transitioning from wall running to hopping seemless. I know, easier said that done- but i hope its possible and not a technical limitation. 

that said- im SO GLAD they for rid of coptering.

Wall run is gone because tilesets.

Wall hoping solve the problem when you stuck on the walls because you dont have more wall to run (???)

Wall hop let you change in automatic mode while doing "wall run" (now wall hop"...

Just Like the new Wall Climb, you dont stuck on the places, now you climb it.

Wall run is gone because tilesets.

Wall hoping solve the problem when you stuck on the walls because you dont have more wall to run (???)

Wall hop let you change in automatic mode while doing "wall run" (now wall hop"...

Just Like the new Wall Climb, you dont stuck on the places, now you climb it.

Wall running works fine in most tilesets. We don't need massive tilsets to wall run, it works perfectly fine in The void and other tilesets.

I see no reason why a compromise can't be made, keeping the fluidity of wall running but at in bounces to aid our maneurverability

Problem is.

Can double jumps technically happen? I mean can someone SCIENTIFICALLY explain it? Cos I like that nearly everything in this game can be sceintifically if not logically explained, and if the double jump can't, then it'll start to look bad.

IF they do keep the hopping, i  hope they at least improve the animation so that your WF uses alternating feet when hopping along the wall. At least this way, it will still resemble running. Using the one leg hop over and over looks really weird.

if they can fix the animation i wont be as bothered, but i will still miss being able to smoothly run around curved walls.

Edited by Hypernaut1

It may look slow but it looks like you have so much more control and precision over what you want to do or where you have to go. 

Personally I can't wait for it.

That's the point of the rework! That was the point of parkour in Warframe when they implemented it for the first time ... I guess, but it somehow was forgotten in the age of rushing and coptering. 

Problem is.

Can double jumps technically happen? I mean can someone SCIENTIFICALLY explain it? Cos I like that nearly everything in this game can be sceintifically if not logically explained, and if the double jump can't, then it'll start to look bad.

You must be living in the distant future if you can explain 10% of the technology in Warframe.

You must be living in the distant future if you can explain 10% of the technology in Warframe.

That's not what I meant though XD

Everything in there can be logically explained as in they can teleports and fly because of technology.

How can double jumps be explained?

You can't say that they channel energy to jump as that would sorta mitigate Zephyr.

Technology though? Lotus would need to do some explanation in the tutorial.

bring back the ears, bring em back! there's a lot of bunnies hopping around here.. back I tell ya...

all my years I have never seen  a ninja double jump, not even in a video game from its birth..

Edited by ranks21

Problem is.

Destiny explained it as using their powers to bend gravity and momentum. Devil may cry explained using magic to create platforms.

What I'm getting at is; magic explains everything.

It is probably the same stuff they use for sliding long distances.

No this ain't no doomthread, just a Tenno giving his view on upcoming parkour changes as for what was shown in last Devstream.

The good

1. I love the increased mobility- I said mobility not speed (i'll get to that later). I greatly enjoy the added control we get to our jump in combinations with the incming double jumps. THis allows exploration to be much easier and reaching to high area's much simpler. I am a fan of the control the new system gives you

2.Bouncing off enemies has alot of potential Being able to create your own kockdown and be mobile at the same time opens up alot of possibility to further melee play.

3. Double jumps look cool - IN addition to being able to use everything as "wal"to jump on, being able to double jump appears to be great way to maintain midair control.

The Bad

1.It's far too bouncy- Make no mistake, i do enjoy the wall skips and double jumps but i also enjoy the look of Fluid wall running and control the (old) Parkour.20 promised us. To replace it all with what appears to be Sonic on space drugs. Why not have a compromise of the 2 systems?

Allow us to control the direction of our wall run (up and down on horizontal wall and left and right on vertical walls can't just directions on a whim, you now have to "latch" then proceed in opposite direction). But as you continue to wall run you gradually lose speed, you then perform a "hop" (as shown this stream) to regain some speed. This is but an idea, but the idea is to mix both system- The fluidity of the old parkour 2.0 wall runs with the bounciness of the new parkour 2.0

2.It looks quite slow- While i certainly am no speed junkie, I'd expect parkour 2.0 to allow us to replicate the speeds of coptering throught a skill based mechanic. But it appears t give us more control but take away our speed. Now while i was all for coptering to be removed, unless sprint speeds are increased across the board, slower frames are still going to be left behind. So let's try to brainstorm some idea?

JUmping off surfaces give you a smallspeed boost fr X seconds, when you latch onto another surfrace if you jump off it in X amount of time, you get another speed boost that will stack ontop of any previous boost. DOuble jumps will provideadditional seconds for you to find a latching point to maintain your speed boost.

Other extra thoughts

-Can we be allowed to jump from enemy to enemy? Because from what we're shown enemies at best are just walking jump pads. Being able to move between enemies will be such a massive buff to melee play.

- Latching onto walls willseem pretty useful for spy missions, I do hope that it's kept

-Will the wall running speeds be affected by warframe sprint speeds? If so well i'm sorry anyone who mains frost/rhino.

But enough of myramblings, your thoughts?

I am very aware that a lot of people are against the new parkour mostly maybe because the decreased ability of being able to quickly copter across a room to avoid getting killed by an anslought of enemy fire. 

can you imagine not being able to speedily distance yourself from bombard rocket with 2 vitality left on high level missions?

my suggestion to even it out on the new system is to program it so that enemy accuracy is significantly decreased while you parkour. maybe even make it so that while parkouring, enemies have virtually 0 accuracy.

that might make for some very interesting gameplay where even weak warframes might become viable in late game by chaining together wall jumps. It won't break the challenge of high level missions since it would probably be hard to chain your movements consistently and you wont be able to attack and deal damage while doing this.

The only thing I have a question about, is they said that the stamina bar is going bye-bye.

Archwing missions use the stamina bar to limit how much boost you have.

Will the bar still be there in those missions, will the bar change, or will it be gone completely?