The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Son Thinks That The Tenno Are Bad Guys....

Hypernaut1

I've honestly pictured the Tenno as bad guys.  They're just as diabolical as the Grineer.  They blindly and fanatically obey a leader which the galaxy hasn't seen for many millennia, superimposing their idea of balance upon the system.  Hell, genocidal maniacs isn't too much of a stretch-- just ask the Orokin.  The entire system is at their mercy, and the balance of power shifts at the whim of the Lotus.

I thought this was an interesting point of view from a child. He saw me playing today and ask me "Why cant you just let the bad guys be? theyre in their own home" I tried to explain to him that they had "something" that i needed and i was protecting it. he didnt look convinced and asked "so if you dont kill them they come after you?" i told him that they dont really come after us, but we need to go after them. All in all, it was a pretty interesting exchange to where he question why i was endlessly slaughtering legions of these supposed "bad guys" even though it looked like i was the provocateur. He later saw me at the relay and asked me if the bad guys were going to come there to kill people, to which i responded "nah, we're pretty safe here"- 

tl:dr- my son thinks im playing a game about genocidal maniacs with vague objectives.

I know there is more to the story than it seems, i just thought it was interesting to hear the viewpoint of an outsider looking in.

The thing is, yes. We are slaughtering Corpus and Grineer in the millions.

Like the Reaper, we care not for those we take, but for the reasons that we take them.

We are Tenno. We are Death.

You know, he's right. We aren't the good guys. We kill grineer, we kill corpus.

But the grineer aren't good either. They enslave and execute people as they establish control. 

The Corpus aren't good either. They find us, cut us up, sell us. 

They all want to tear us up and have profit from us.

To you average non-soldier, Tenno are probably seen as terrorists.

- fanatical ideology  - CHECK

- secret anti-government organisation - CHECK

- attack social and commercial infrastructure - CHECK

- assassinate political leaders - CHECK

- murdering psychopaths - CHECK

Yep wise son is wise.

I bet our "values" and "truth" are just brainwashing by Lotus as we sleep...

Edited by (PS4)Stinja

I have a tendency to agree with your son. I have never thought of us, the Tenno, as forces of good. At best we are well trained soldiers of a by-gone era, bound by the code of combat and death, and we inflict onto others without question of our orders.

If you think about it every time you hear about the Grineer massacring other civilizations you have only read it through lore. Even if there are a few images in-game that suggest or show this, it is few and far between. By and large what we ACTUALLY see is US, the Tenno, mass slaughtering Grineer, Corpus, and Infested at the behest of Lotus without asking her to prove out the reasoning behind her orders.

Even if ALL OF THE LORE was true, that still doesn't preclude us from being murderers. I have spent a s^&t ton of hours killing a boat load of beings in Warframe. Regardless of what they did, that still makes me a killer. That does nothing to cleanse me of my actions.

So to conclude, I agree with your son, we aren't really the good guys. Good guys don't just spend their time killing people, even if they are bad. Good guys take other forms of actions. But we have clearly shown that we only understand ONE form of action...and that is death by the sword.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

The issue is that you're there for story reasons, but that they don't come after you directly for every mission is game mechanics (or lackthereof). We've SEEN retaliation before - Eyes of Blight, anyone? - so we know they do it, the game just isn't geared towards us having an assassin on us for EVERY little mission - now, Invasions, on the other hand...

"You Tenno, you fight for treasure. You are just another Corpus machine to me!"

"Are you just mercenaries? Fighting for scraps? Where is this so-called Tenno honor?"

So Sargas Huk was right all this time???

And don't forget after we defeated the sentients we come back home and anihilate(?) the whole Orokin Empire, for no reason until now, at least about I know...

This brought me back to U12, when I played the game for the very first time.

Back then, right from the start we learnt the Grineer were the bad guys. They wanted to capture us, the playable characters, and we had to get away. I went all the way through Mercury and killed Captain Vor, the one in charge who was chasing me, and I was pretty much on my own afterwards. Then Venus was the next unlocked planet, but Venus is Corpus, and we were never really told anything about the Corpus. (I'm glad the new tutorial fixed that, somewhat.) I was ok with killing Grineer. They were degenerated clones and slave makers. I was not ok with killing Corpus. Not when, after being detected and the Lotus saying "We've got robots inbound", I cut one up and found out they were not all robots, but regular humans. I'll never forget that Mynki-face looking back at me, as if asking me why did I kill it. And yes... the Crewman was actually running from me.

That's silly I guess but it pretty much marked me as a player. I don't think there's really a "good" and a "bad" side to anything, there are just different factions, different motivations, and we, as Tenno, must balance them. May our actions speak for ourselves.

I thought this was an interesting point of view from a child. He saw me playing today and ask me "Why cant you just let the bad guys be? theyre in their own home" I tried to explain to him that they had "something" that i needed and i was protecting it. he didnt look convinced and asked "so if you dont kill them they come after you?" i told him that they dont really come after us, but we need to go after them. All in all, it was a pretty interesting exchange to where he question why i was endlessly slaughtering legions of these supposed "bad guys" even though it looked like i was the provocateur. He later saw me at the relay and asked me if the bad guys were going to come there to kill people, to which i responded "nah, we're pretty safe here"- 

tl:dr- my son thinks im playing a game about genocidal maniacs with vague objectives.

I know there is more to the story than it seems, i just thought it was interesting to hear the viewpoint of an outsider looking in.

Hehe, your son is very cute. :)

How will your poor example affect his growing up now?? :o :o :o

Yeah the Tenno always came across as a sort of terrorist organization in the grand scheme of things in my eyes. I have no issues with that, they keep "balance" on their own accord and outright steal what they want. They don't do anything else that might make them seen noble in any other sense.

Look, we are the bad guys, plain and simple, I slaughter millions of Grineer to gain loot and save my comrades to create the balance of war and then I steal from profiteers like nef anyo. I destroy genetic research all in the name of getting more stuff to upgrade loot and help out those who have given a better weapon.

meow.jpg

Edited by ChloeSakuna