Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So If A Game Were To Antagonize Usa?

JohnMarkLee

Sorry if this is too controversial to be on the forums but I am curious on your guys opinions on if a game were to antagonize the US would you play it? I mean video games have been antagonizing Russians, Germans, Cubans, Chinese and Arabs a lot already. Also why hasn't there been any yet if you guys wanna answer that?

Also why hasn't there been any yet if you guys wanna answer that?

The Grand Theft Auto series is a giant USA piss-take. 

Personally I don't really care about a games moral or ethical standpoint, if they want to take the piss out of a nation then fine, if it's a fun game I'll play it.

If the USA is depicted as the villain, sure. 

Saints Row 3 is one of my favorite games and it's very anti-USA.  everything. 

The Grand Theft Auto series is a giant USA piss-take. 

Personally I don't really care about a games moral or ethical standpoint, if they want to take the piss out of a nation then fine, if it's a fun game I'll play it.

I find that most of those type of games are criminal-unlawful games, your in-directly fighting the US government but your a criminal no one will expect anything else. A direct call out for US being bad would probably end up with a lot of media hate. 

You'll barely see game companies use the USA as a villain. If a game is to sell well, it conforms to either the US or China's standards, but the US will likely win it because we're more likely to shell out money. Why put your primary consumer as the villain?

If I remember MW2 had a plot twist in the game where a faction called Shadow Company (US) were the main antagonists. But that was a single faction. all the other US ones were on the allied side.

I don't think there are any games where the US are the antagonists. Sales wouldn't be as high since the US is a major consumer of video games, and with alot of dev teams consisting of americans.

Lol everyone loves to hate on the US, until a country starts a war and everyone begs the US for help. Then after the US kicks their arces they go back to hating it. Also much of the reason that the US will never and can never be the Villain is bacuse of the values the country (used to) stand for. People love to joke about "freedom" but honestly the US is the only country were a random person has the right to work hard and build a good future for themselves. 

Also the US will never go to war for no reason. In all of history the US has gone to war for a few reason. 1). to overthrow a tyrannical dictator who is killing innocents, people love to throw around the word oil but that was not a deciding factor. 2). a government or country begged the US to send troops/military aid. usually they run away and leave the US to clean up the mess. 3). because the US was attacked first and they need to show the aggressor that if they mess with the bull they get the horns. 

As to why all of those countries you have mention are always seen as the villains, for Germany its only even in a WWII setting, and thats because they were the villains, today Germany and Japan are strong allies to the US. For the others, they have threatened to attack many countries that dont conform to their government. and all of them are Tyrannical styles of government that the people have no real freedom.

So as much as people say they hate the US, for the ones living their, when they are told to leave if they dont like it, they all of a sudden shut up. because they know they want ever be able to live the comfortable lives they do now, in almost any other country. 

I find that most of those type of games are criminal-unlawful games, your in-directly fighting the US government but your a criminal no one will expect anything else. A direct call out for US being bad would probably end up with a lot of media hate. 

Well yeah, but who cares what the media thinks? 

Well yeah, but who cares what the media thinks? 

If people are serious enough they will boycott and stuff... It will affect the company's business in some way or another because of the hate. Then again though... EA is still alive. 

Lol everyone loves to hate on the US, until a country starts a war and everyone begs the US for help. Then after the US kicks their arces they go back to hating it. Also much of the reason that the US will never and can never be the Villain is bacuse of the values the country (used to) stand for. People love to joke about "freedom" but honestly the US is the only country were a random person has the right to work hard and build a good future for themselves. 

Also the US will never go to war for no reason. In all of history the US has gone to war for a few reason. 1). to overthrow a tyrannical dictator who is killing innocents, people love to throw around the word oil but that was not a deciding factor. 2). a government or country begged the US to send troops/military aid. usually they run away and leave the US to clean up the mess. 3). because the US was attacked first and they need to show the aggressor that if they mess with the bull they get the horns. 

As to why all of those countries you have mention are always seen as the villains, for Germany its only even in a WWII setting, and thats because they were the villains, today Germany and Japan are strong allies to the US. For the others, they have threatened to attack many countries that dont conform to their government. and all of them are Tyrannical styles of government that the people have no real freedom.

So as much as people say they hate the US, for the ones living their, when they are told to leave if they dont like it, they all of a sudden shut up. because they know they want ever be able to live the comfortable lives they do now, in almost any other country. 

I like how you assumed I was attacking/hating the US. If companies have the right to make china or russia a villain, they can do the same to the U.S. I like how you bring politics into my question of a simple video game villain. (And even half the stuff you said was incorrect and biased)

People love to joke about "freedom" but honestly the US is the only country were a random person has the right to work hard and build a good future for themselves. 

This right here is why certain people don't like America, there are just so many people that have no understanding of the world beyond. If you honestly think the US is the only place where someone has the right to work hard and a build a good future, I suggest you go back to school. Seriously.

people love to throw around the word oil 

Because it is, all it takes is a little research rather than just listening to the media.

I'm not saying America is a bad place, and I'm not hating on Americans in general, but sometimes the stupidest S#&$ gets said. 

Edited by DeMonkey

You'll barely see game companies use the USA as a villain. If a game is to sell well, it conforms to either the US or China's standards, but the US will likely win it because we're more likely to shell out money. Why put your primary consumer as the villain?

Would be a nice twist, but I guess you need to appeal to the heavy capitalist countries.

If I remember MW2 had a plot twist in the game where a faction called Shadow Company (US) were the main antagonists. But that was a single faction. all the other US ones were on the allied side.

I don't think there are any games where the US are the antagonists. Sales wouldn't be as high since the US is a major consumer of video games, and with alot of dev teams consisting of americans.

Near the end of the campaign you also get to fight american soldiers, that was a cool twist.

This right here is why certain people don't like America, there are just so many people that have no understanding of the world beyond. If you honestly think the US is the only place where someone has the right to work hard and a build a good future, I suggest you go back to school. Seriously.

Because it is, all it takes is a little research rather than just listening to the media.

I'm not saying America is a bad place, and I'm not hating on Americans in general, but sometimes the stupidest S#&$ gets said. 

Things I dont like about America;

- Arrogance

- Bias

- Not Acknowledging Their Own Losses

Other than that this country is great.

Most games I know of where you can "directly" attack the US are strategy games and the like.  

I don't actually know of many games where you as the player can personally kill US soldiers and not get penalized for it, that aren't multiplayer games.  Not traitors, not criminals, loyal soldiers.  Hm.  I should do some research.

But, obviously, I don't have a problem with the concept.  Maybe it's because I'm not at all patriotic or nationalistic.  Or because I'm capable of separating games from reality.

Most games I know of where you can "directly" attack the US are strategy games and the like.  

I don't actually know of many games where you as the player can personally kill US soldiers and not get penalized for it, that aren't multiplayer games.  Not traitors, not criminals, loyal soldiers.  Hm.  I should do some research.

I can only really think of two games,

1) Tom Clancy's Endwar, Strategy like you said.

2) Spec Ops: The Line. This ones a biggie, both Army and CIA members are the bad guys (morally). I'd count the soldiers as loyal, but based on misunderstanding and going a little overboard on the martial law, they become the antagonists of the story.

Well, most games ARE made in the US, so I doubt Americans would diss themselves. 

Btw, this might sound controversial, but I would consider the USA not an antagonist, but not a protagonist either. It has done some pretty morally right, and morally wrong things in the past, which I'm not going to discuss in detail in case my account gets banned.

You can't technically call the Americans the bad people in videogames, but they're not always the good people. 

Then again, every country has their own good people and bad people. 

EDIT: I will take a risk and say this in the least offending manner: Americans HAVE gone to war with people with no reason but to benefit themselves economically or otherwise. In fact, most terror groups have a grudge against America, simply because they did not mind their own business. If it weren't for the Americans invading and being a boss before the 2000s, there probably would not be as many terror attacks as of now. Of course, terrorists are not good people. That i say with confidence. I'm not supporting the terrorists, in case you take this the wrong way.

Edited by TriangleTheory