Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows 10 And U17 , Same Release Date. What About The Dx12 Compatibility?

Mrniko95

Hello everyone , U17 and Windows 10 looks like to have the same release Date , for those who played in past windows 10 builds i found some compatibility issues , what about if the game it's not compatible with the game? , i wont get back to W 8.1 just for a game ( Most of my games ran great on windows 10 , GTA V , BF4 ... But warframe... ) ,it worries me because my HYPE for U17 is real.

Hello everyone , U17 and Windows 10 looks like to have the same release Date , for those who played in past windows 10 builds i found some compatibility issues , what about if the game it's not compatible with the game? , i wont get back to W 8.1 just for a game ( Most of my games ran great on windows 10 , GTA V , BF4 ... But warframe... ) ,it worries me because my HYPE for U17 is real.

I would just wait then on Warframe and let the devs get a hold of a update towards W10.

my game runs perfectly fine on the windows 10 preview.  I doubt anything regarding compatibility with games will change for the worse, although I'm hoping things that weren't compatible before will become so (I miss my avast antivirus :/).  I have no worries here :)

Also, DE isn't really partnered with Microsoft... So it's not like they'd know 

Compatibility shouldn't be an issue. Microsoft has said multiple times if it works on Windows 7 or 8.1, there is almost no reason it wouldn't work on 10. I don't think they're really doing anything to that part of the OS. Stability may have had more to do with the fact that they were using a Beta version of Windows 10 than the game itself. But given the way Microsoft is rolling Window 10 out apparently in waves so there's no issue with bogging down the download servers, there's no guarantee you'll get it on the 29th, so even if it is the game, it might be fixed before you get Window 10. It could also be a hardware compatibility issue with Windows 10. There's too many variables we don't know.

As for DX12. There are no known plans for DX12 support as far as I am aware. Steve is clearly excited about DX12 based on him talking about it in a past DevStream, so it will probably be added at some point. But I'm guessing that may be a ways off.

Edited by Ceryk

If a game runs in DirectX 9, 10 or 11, there won't be any compatibility issues if the OS supports DirectX 12.

Windows 10 can also use all previous versions of DirectX, meaning if a game uses DirectX 9, the OS will use DirectX 9, same for 10 and 11. 

Basically Windows 10 will support games that use DirectX 12, DirectX 11, DirectX 10, so on so forth.

strange , probably my AMD beta drivers were giving me some issues with warframe ( screen freezed with background sound ) , so guys , ¿ what will you upadte first? , warframe or windows :P

People who run dx10,11 and 12 capable graphic cards have this issue on any windows(if you have dx10 and 11 ticked in the launcher options). It's not a windows version issue.

I've had it on 7 with amd and i have it on 8.1 with nvidia now and i'll probably keep having it with windows 10.

Edited by kiteohatto

People who run dx10,11 and 12 capable graphic cards have this issue on any windows(if you have dx10 and 11 ticked in the launcher options). It's not a windows version issue.

I've had it on 7 with amd and i have it on 8.1 with nvidia now and i'll probably keep having it with windows 10.

So , do i need to uncheck Dx10 option in the launcher to avoid the error?

If a game runs in DirectX 9, 10 or 11, there won't be any compatibility issues if the OS supports DirectX 12.

Windows 10 can also use all previous versions of DirectX, meaning if a game uses DirectX 9, the OS will use DirectX 9, same for 10 and 11. 

Basically Windows 10 will support games that use DirectX 12, DirectX 11, DirectX 10, so on so forth.

That hasn't stopped windows 10 from having a whole slew of compatibility issues so far.

That hasn't stopped windows 10 from having a whole slew of compatibility issues so far.

Such as? I haven't yet had any compatibility problems with any of the games I play, and I'm using an older beta (not the latest release).

Well right now, DX12/windows 10 has great improvements on any DX11- game. DX12 has some nice features but the main one is how many drawcalls are capable. Since windows 10 has DX11.1, there are already performance improvements. I don't see why they would make the move to DX12 very soon, but it is on the horizon, as Steve already said he has interest in it.