Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour 2.0 (U17 Megathread Topic)

[DE]Danielle

- It feels a bit clunky

- Sprint getting cancel by any action that involve parkour.

- Shooting while wallrunninghopping put you in the Air glide pose, and therefore remove a functionality that parkour 1.0 had.

Wallrunning felt and looked more functional for me, that still doesn't mean that hopping isn't bad either. I would like to see both of them working together, being able to Wallrun + wallhop + bullet jump, etc would make things really interesting.

+ Bullet Jumping is quite nice and functional

Sprint canceling is kind of a big issue it seems. Really hope it's not tied to the 'Toggle Sprint' option or anything, since I never used it before.

..So people should just go quit, right. Not liking changes is a valid PoV (remember the broken lights? I do!), and DE managed to turn a lot of the newer players I brought to the game off when they did the last change of this sort, Starmap 2.0. This is going to be the same sort of thing, likely, especially when some other older players take that attitude.

Just because YOU like something does not mean that other viewpoints are invalid, or that people should quit the game because you don't like the feedback. (Note I haven't mentioned coptering, there's lots of other issues - and no, momentum in moves being lost ISN'T a coptering issue!)

Anyway, as someone else noted the momentum - which was similar for most weapons - from air dash is gone as well now. You have to stop and do a bullet jump.

Because this is a thread for feedback about Parkour 2.0, not a QQ "I already knew coptering was being removed but I am complaining about it anyway." thread. It's obviously fine to start pointing out issues with momentum, because that is the purpose of this thread. I'm pretty sure DE has already taken into account how much frustration there would be by all those who heavily relied on it, so it really doesn't add much to this discussion.

Overall, Parkour 2.0 is a major improvement to Warframe, and it really helps revive the freedom-of-movement feel the game had going for it in its early days. It renews a bit of my hope in the game's potential to improve, provided you guys actually manage to pump out more than one more polish-oriented update during this "year of quality." Or perhaps... turn it into a "decade of quality." 

There is still lots to be done. 

On the subject of further Parkour/Movement polish, though, I have a few thoughts.

1. Aim Glide is still not really worth the effort to use. More than 90% of the time your Warframe will get in the way of your ability to aim. 

2. Sprint is still butt-ugly, and really clunky - you have to re-press the sprint key every time you do anything that stops you from sprinting. Countless other games allow you to shift out of a sprint when doing something that cancels sprint and then continue sprinting seamlessly as soon as you stop. Get some new sprinting animations in there, and make it flow. 

3. Vertical movement is extremely difficult to make useful on all but a few select tilesets. Why? There are simply too many small lips on vertical surfaces that your Warframe can't get over. Whether it's the rim of a pillar, a balcony, or even just some piping in the wall, it stoppers all movement. Just let us ignore small lips so that you get some decently sized spaces to move on the Grineer Galleon and other similarly-intricate tiles. 

Game feels slow and less dynamic.

Slow because DE removed forward flip with a slide. Slow because DE removed wallrun launch. Slide attack feels awkward. I want to remind you that distance of the slide attack is very important for a weapon like Orthos.

Nerf of the speed will also have serious negative effect on survivability against mobs of the higher levels, because now they can hit a player more easily.

Now in order to reach some higher level place, player have to use walls or similar objects like pillars. With  the nerf of the distance of the air melee, players are forced to use walls whatever they like it or not. Which has negative impact of dynamics of the gameplay and freedom of movement.

New parkour system made some spy vaults absurdly easy to run.

As a conclusion: Parkour 2.0 system made parkouring more accessible for larger audience of players, however at the same time new system delivered a significant, negative blow on speed of the game and dynamics of the gameplay as whole. Flow of moves is broken and feels awkward.

p.s. not tested on Conclaves.

p.p.s. Still can't see a reason for parkouring on a regular basis.

Edited by LeshJaeThiHah

Is it intentional that sprint+slide no longer releases back into sprint after slide is done?  I don't know if that made sense.

I mean, your sprinting, then sliding with ctrl.  You let go of ctrl but keep shift down to sprint, and you don't continue sprinting.  I mean, all you have to do is repress shift, but still I wanted to know if it was intentional/permanent or if it is a bug.

I should have just said "sliding cancels sprinting".

Edited by Alcial

First impression:

Wall hopping looks really stupid.

Might be because I was using Nekros, must try other Frames, but it looked like a frog hopping along a wall.

Looked ridiculus.

For now i can't see why the hopping is even necessary.

Will test more and give more impressions then.

The time it takes to detect a wall jump is too long in my opinion. In parkour 1.0 I was able to just touch the wall for a brief moment before jumping where I wanted to go, but with parkour 2.0 I have to be touching the wall for about 0.5 seconds for it to jump off the wall. This makes it hard to jump off small walls, like pillars. It also doesn't look as smooth as parkour 1.0 because the warframe just face plants into the wall for a little while before doing anything.

The following combinations I feel like should work, but the stuff I have in bold cannot be executed right now.

jump, double jump, bullet jump

jump, bullet jump, double jump

Sprint speed on all frames needs to be seriously increased. New sprinting animations are needed too, I thought those were coming with Parkour 2.0. Even with Rush, going through a level now with a slow frame is excruciatingly long since you spend a lot of time sprinting through corridors.

Bullet jump and sliding cancels sprinting, really annoying and breaks flow.

Wall grab (when you grab onto an edge and climb up automatically) is wonky and rarely works.

Not enough horizontal momentum in general.

Edited by Caernarvon

True and agreed. The fact it's cancelled after sliding is iffy to me. I mean, there should at least be a "spool up" of sorts like building up your momentum a little after sliding to full sprint speed and not just a straight up "HALT!"

Honestly, an option to run as your default and use the run button to walk would be appreciated.

tl;dr

Things that caught my attention so far:

1. As a remnant of the previous parkour, the game frequently forgets that I am sprinting after various animations - after the update, sliding added to that list. Now that we can sprint all the time, when I hold down the sprint button, I expect to be sprinting.

2. Wallhop: For some reason, I got the idea that I would keep hopping in the initial direction if I held down the button (the tutorial did  tell me to hold it down, after all), and on the first tutotial run, that's how it worked - it looked weird (Tenno interrupting a burst to hop, you get the idea), but worked similar to the old latched wallrun. I couldn't replicate the effect on subsequent runs (I jumped off as I looked away), so I guess it wasn't intended.

3. Wallhop 2: The hopping animation locks your movement for a while, so if you botch a jump (it's easy to do if you look in the direction of your movement, not towards a wall), you can't do anything to fix it until the animation passes, after which it may be too late. I'm not talking about jumping in a completely different direction, either - while looking slightly away from the wall still works, there is a point where it looks like you're still hopping along the wall, but in reality you're just a little too far away to pull of another hop. It's a little jarring. Maybe I'll get used to it.

4. Wall melee: This should probably go to the bug thread, but if you try to use melee when latched - well, you attack looking detached from the wall, but still stick in place while doing the air melee animation. It looks weird, especially since the codex entry encouraged me to try the melee strike during a wall dash - I expected something similar to the old wall attack.

Oh, and bullet jump feels very smooth.

Edited by DrewHorrigan

Bullet jump and wall cling were the only things that didnt disappoing.

Frames revert to walking after a slide... they should keep running if im still holding sprint.

Wall hop is straight up garbage. Im sorry but man, you guys messed up here. There was no reason to remove wall running. The animation looks bad, its too slow, and you could have left in infinite climb (considering no stamina). The control is terribly clunky when trying to go back and forth between walls. 

Bullet jump is very nice but its not fast enough nor does it go far / high enough. Looking Up and using bullet jump should be what looking down and doing it does. Looking down and doing it shouldnt do anything. 

Aerial bullet jump aimed down is too slow. I should be able to use that to trigger heavy impact. 

5: Zip lines: Apparently, you can press X to jump on them... whenever you are below them (at least that works on Earth spy mission). Sometimes this results in Tenno jumping truly magic distances (UPD: It doesn't seem to always work - apparently, there is a latch distance). Even if we discount the jump height (okay, it's comparable with the bullet jump height so far), it may be hard to know you are in the zip line latch zone. Maybe some prompt would help.

5.5: Some zip lines do not work at all (like the one in the earth spy vault with the huge water pipe in the middle).

Edited by DrewHorrigan

Double jump: very good addition, easy to use, grant vertical mobility.

Bullet Jump: dosen't launch so far horizontaly, still need two buttons to work.

It should be easier to use (one button to use, or Sprint+Jump) and launch further.

Wall Latch: hard to find a right moment for RMB, navigation more difficult with constant zoom.

Wall Dash: jumping from one side to another is clunky sometimes.

Aim Gliding: good addition, air control improved.

Ziplines:  kinda... pointless? Why should i ride zipline with Bullet Jump and Gliding?

Edited by letir

HELLO! Parkour good, but jumping over the walls forward up or does not correspond to the style of play, change to running with parkour, and will be better. Jumping on the wall forward or vverrh look ridiculous!

Edited by Deadpool_95

Parkour 2.0 with anything else than Loki feels like my warframe gained about 3 metric tons in their boots, the only question I have is why did you removed the possibility of coptering? Was it too hard to give players choices?

My only problems :

Bullet Jump: Being able to chain multiple Bullet jump would be awesome; Seems a bit slow for now but I didn't had the chance to try with one of the new mobility mods so I reserve my judgement on that.

Wall Dash: Feel really clunky and slow; I really don't dig this one =/ Jumping between walls seems harder/less precise.

Guest masterword00
Back to 1.0

Glide to get drunk

Operability terrible

It's the worst of updates

It is not worth to play warframe that are no longer such a refreshing feeling

Im going to barge the Rhino into the china room. I already miss coptering. Ran a few missions with the new parkour system and me and my clan love it. The options the verticality is great. The feel of the thing is perfect. Then i just want to run a bit faster and it hits a brick wall. Yes the new dash is awesome but it launches me into the air, wich is great at most ocasions, yet there are tilesets where room is limited and it actualy makes me hit walls,

Coptering could have been another asset as now there is no way to increase my momentum on the ground. Maybe keep the weapon slide attack the same but add this as a warframe stat? Or use the new utility system to give slides and slide attacks a boost.

Generaly the parkour and the air movement is amazing but the ground movement is limited now. Either you go to air or you slug around. 

then dont aim on ceiling when you bullet jump >.> aim at what in front of you.

Parkour 2.0 is feeling okay so far, if a bit clunky, but has some issues that really throw me off my rythm.

-Holding my sprint key no longer allows me to automatically resume sprinting after a slide.  Constantly having to re-initiate sprinting after every slide is clunky and frustrating. (Update- This may have been a bug, and seems to have been corrected as of 17.0.2.)

-Wall hops don't engage as consistently as wall run did previously.

-The lack of vaulting after disengaging a wall hop/run is frustrating.

-The way that the camera lags behind your Tenno when engaging high-velocity movements (e.g. slide attacks, bullet jumps) is disorienting and makes it difficult to judge my momentum (This one is really throwing me off).

-The fact that slide and aerial attacks bring you to a halt breaks the flow of gameplay badly.

Gun-glide is a fun feature, but Parkour 2.0 overall needs some serious polishing to keep gameplay flowing smoothly.  In its present state it feels clunkier than it ought to.

Edited by Tekka_Croe

First impressions: Time to uninstall the game. 

I've enjoyed playing this game for years, but these changes make all movement feel clunky like any generic game ever. The magic of moving in a warframe is gone; the sheer joy of running and jumping is gone, and instead moving around has become a chore. 

edit, to summarize the difference:

Before U17, I felt like I was playing a magical space ninja. Post U17, I feel like I'm trying to operate a rusty Transformer.

Edited by Ceryn

This is so lame. I feel like a bunny, not a ninja.

-Hopping on enemies is worthless if we can jump in the air.

-The wallhopping looks and feels dumb. 

-I can't run and gun on the walls anymore.

-There's no momentum or high velocity feeling anymore.

Skyforge couldn't have come at a better time. Have fun cleaning up this mess DE. I'll come back if you ever manage to fix it but I'm not beta testing this garbage for you.

It's great. Speed has gone down on average, but vertical movement is much easier now, and controls are much more responsive.

The one place it could be refined in is flow, which is already much better than the old system; stuff like sprint carrying over sprint and being able to hit the ground running after some jumps.

Overall, it's a very welcome addition to the game!

as someone who has mastered the last version of parkour, i Honestly love this update, anything mobility oriented im all for. but i do have a few problems with this update, now im not going to be like everyone else saying that coptering should come back as it was. i agree it was a little buggy, but in an update focused on enhancing mobility, i dont see why we cant have coptering AND parkour 2.0, the thing i always liked about warframe was that when something was "broken" or just functioned weirdly, it was always fixable. i dont see why they cant just LOWER the coptering boost instead of just removing it entirely(that goes for air melee as well), i think that was just a bad design call. 

I also love bullet jumping, its really fun. but i think that there should be a way to bullet jump and use the old slide jump, like an option in the keybindings or something? that would just give everyone what they want. it would also make parkour much more diverse which is always more fun.

well anyways, thats just my 2 cents. overall i think this was a great update, lots of new fun stuff to mess around with. 

(Edit: i also dont see how literally jumping on air looks any more stupid than coptering) 

Edited by -FV-Dasheroo