Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Heavy Spoilers] The Natah Quest Revelation (Now With Pictures)

Kaokasalis

Just keeping speculation open; It's pretty clear she is for all intents and purposes a sentient but it still doesn't answer how a Sentient managed to remain undetected and get placed into a command role.

Could just be the Sentients are really good shapeshifters or she's some creation meant to act as a sleeper agent.

We'll probably find out for sure during the event.

She put herself into the command role.  It's entirely possible that she used the Sentient technology-subversion trick to assume command of the Tenno (or at least their comm systems) and turn them on the Orokin, killing them.  Without them the Tenno had no leaders, so when Natah put them to sleep she assumed that role herself, essentially adopting the Tenno as the children she could no longer have. 

It's also implied the Sentients may be either AI or shapeshifters - Natah's parent makes reference to 'this form' suggesting their forms aren't always the same.

She put herself into the command role.  It's entirely possible that she used the Sentient technology-subversion trick to assume command of the Tenno (or at least their comm systems) and turn them on the Orokin, killing them.  Without them the Tenno had no leaders, so when Natah put them to sleep she assumed that role herself, essentially adopting the Tenno as the children she could no longer have. 

It's also implied the Sentients may be either AI or shapeshifters - Natah's parent makes reference to 'this form' suggesting their forms aren't always the same.

Thanks this really put it in perspective and helped it make sense for me. 

The shapeshifter thing explained one of the things that was confusing me. The thing about how she took out the Orokin would make sense too, all of it. Good explanation. 

1) This is blatant confirmation of the "Lotus as mother" themeing and I LOVE IT! It's AWESOME!

2) I remember long ago when there was a theory of Lotus as being a Sentient. It seems that has come to pass. In hindsight of the revelations of the Devstream it should have been obvious then - her throne/dress looks FAR too similar to one of those Sentient crafts from the trailer.

3) I still want to know why this humanoid form. Blatantly human, at that. Is this their natural look? Can they change their form? Are they shapeshifters? Was it part of the disguise?

4) It would seem the Sentients did in fact manage to overcome their Flaw - their weakness to the Void. To an extent, at least; reproduction became impossible for them after being exposed. This still explains why the Tenno were such a threat: the Void energy, it could kill them, break them, and they could no split into two beings, give life, bear child, after being struck down by them.

5) Teshin Voice Pack Please

6) Regor was totally shipping Natah and Burning Lotus (which, hilariously, was a password I used for my old Conflagration account when that was a thing - I got a kick out of that) during the defense. "Did you to have a... history ;)"

7) And so we both have confirmation that the Lotus had nefarious intentions AND that she would never harm the Tenno. I like the fine line that DE walked here. It was glorious.

DE... Take me now.

Edited by Morec0

I'm very, very confused now. So Lotus was the one who originally hid us in the Void to protect us from the Sentients. Then who defeated the Sentients? Who killed the Orokin? And why do the Sentients become barren when they enter the 'Origin' system? Aren't they human, as is suggested by them calling our solar system the 'origin' system?

Im the one who created the #deathtothelotus thread.

imma kill her now

You clearly aren't grasping the significance and message behind this quest.

I'm very, very confused now. So Lotus was the one who originally hid us in the Void to protect us from the Sentients. Then who defeated the Sentients? Who killed the Orokin? And why do the Sentients become barren when they enter the 'Origin' system? Aren't they human, as is suggested by them calling our solar system the 'origin' system?

Here seems to have been the plan:

Gain the trust of the Tenno

Turn the Tenno on the Orokin

Put the Tenno to sleep

Kill the Tenno in their slumber

Lotus didn't follow the final step - didn't kill the Tenno - because she couldn't handle the fact she could never be a mother. And while the Sentients being human or not has been thrown into question a bit, think back to the Crewman Synthesis, the earliest mention of the Sentients in the timeline. They are incredibly adaptable, but made with a flaw: the Void would kill them.

In time they were able to overcome this flaw, to an extent. They were no longer killed by the Void, but it left them barren, unable to reproduce.

You clearly aren't grasping the significance and message behind this quest.

Here seems to have been the plan:

Gain the trust of the Tenno

Turn the Tenno on the Orokin

Put the Tenno to sleep

Kill the Tenno in their slumber

Lotus didn't follow the final step - didn't kill the Tenno - because she couldn't handle the fact she could never be a mother. And while the Sentients being human or not has been thrown into question a bit, think back to the Crewman Synthesis, the earliest mention of the Sentients in the timeline. They are incredibly adaptable, but made with a flaw: the Void would kill them.

In time they were able to overcome this flaw, to an extent. They were no longer killed by the Void, but it left them barren, unable to reproduce.

So somehow we were tricked into killing the Orokin by the Sentients.. and then the Sentients just picked up and left?

Also, didn't Lotus say the Origin system made her barren, not the Void?

Everybody loves her now just because she saved us.

But what if there was an ulterior motive to it. What if her goal wasn't to save these blood stained beings but something of greater value.

Currently "Space mom" is the most influential and powerful being in the system.

She seeks balance, but that's not how things are unfolding now. Far from it. The system is experiencing a rise in Tenno powercreep.

What if Lotus saved us so that she can preserve herself (and her kin) at the same time rule over the system once "balance" is restored via severed heads.

I'm not gonna be surprise if she turns on us and Tenshin becomes our new guide.

#Spacemomisstillhidingsomethingfromus

Edited by H.Katsura_999

I don't recall clear mention of void energies leaving them barren, just the journey to the origin system (mentioned as though this is just another patrol at that) leaving them barren, though much evidence through out the available lore does support that the Sentients and the void simply don't mix.  There are also lines suggesting that the Orokin Empire definitely spread to other systems, and the Sentient pretty much retaliated.  In fact, the wording (though I can't exactly recall it) almost implied they were simply cut off, not wiped out.

As for the Origin system proper, the Sentient managed to control the Tenno, had the lead Sentient destroyed/entombed (feigning a loss,) then turned the Tenno on the Orokin, then put the Tenno to sleep, but never followed through with their execution and instead the Lotus adopted them as children because she couldn't have her own.  Finally, we're playing at a time where the Sentient are just about ready to wake up and I guess finish the job?

Well, I was half right about whom the Tenno serve.  I figured the non-Primes were Sentient constructs, but they're not.

Dear DE, despite the predictability of Lotus being XYZ, her reasons were still quite the mind-f*** and very fitting for how we, the player, have probably viewed her as in relation to the Tenno.  Bravo.  I expected something less innocent, but just as dutiful.

Edited by Littleman88

So somehow we were tricked into killing the Orokin by the Sentients.. and then the Sentients just picked up and left?

Here's the thing. We didn't kill the Orokin until AFTER THE WAR WAS OVER. The Orokin had won. The Sentients were defeated. The Lotus was sent undercover in a sense to subvert us. She gained our trust by being our eye in the sky, the voice in our head warning us of dangers ahead. When she had our trust and the Orokin were vulnerable (Pride comes before the fall, after all - when else would the Orokin be at their weakest but when they believed the threat was gone and their guard could fall?), the word was sent for the Orokin to die. Then she sent us into slumber.

Everybody loves her now just because she saved us.

But what if there was an ulterior motive to it. What if her goal wasn't to save these blood stained beings but something of greater value.

Currently "Space mom" is the most influential and powerful being in the system.

She seeks balance, but that's not how things are unfolding now.

What if Lotus saved us so that she can preserve herself (and her kin) at the same time rule over the system once "balance" is restored via severed heads.

I'm not gonna be surprise if she turns on us and Tenshin becomes our new guide.

#Spacemomisstillhidingsomethingfromus

How can she turn on us? We're her only allies.

That actually makes me slightly queasy. The recent screw ups we're having, stalker chasing us, the very state of the system... Is all Lotus' fault, and not our own choice...?

Now that the Tenno as they are ingame know this... this actually throws how much trust they have on the Lotus into question. Are they really nothing more than mercenaries, with Lotus as their (caring) dispatcher? Can we not follow our own decisions? Were we somehow changed?

Granted. The Orokin deserved it. But knowing this...

Man this is almost like The Winter Soldier to the MCU...

Here's the thing. We didn't kill the Orokin until AFTER THE WAR WAS OVER. The Orokin had won. The Sentients were defeated. The Lotus was sent undercover in a sense to subvert us. She gained our trust by being our eye in the sky, the voice in our head warning us of dangers ahead. When she had our trust and the Orokin were vulnerable (Pride comes before the fall, after all - when else would the Orokin be at their weakest but when they believed the threat was gone and their guard could fall?), the word was sent for the Orokin to die. Then she sent us into slumber.

If the Sentients let themselves die, what's the point of the entire plan? What kind of victory is "Yea, we're all dead, but at least one barren child is left."

That actually makes me slightly queasy. The recent screw ups we're having, stalker chasing us, the very state of the system... Is all Lotus' fault, and not our own choice...?

Now that the Tenno as they are ingame know this... this actually throws how much trust they have on the Lotus into question. Are they really nothing more than mercenaries, with Lotus as their (caring) dispatcher? Can we not follow our own decisions? Were we somehow changed?

Granted. The Orokin deserved it. But knowing this...

Man this is almost like The Winter Soldier to the MCU...

It's not clear if we're capable of independent thought in terms of morals, actually. We could just be manipulable soldiers. 

If the Sentients let themselves die, what's the point of the entire plan? What kind of victory is "Yea, we're all dead, but at least one barren child is left."

I think rather than actually dying, they just seemingly died, or at the very least retreated away from the origin system, which to the Orokin would still be a "victory" in a sense. That's why there was a tomb full of sentients. They were left there to be awoken after the Lotus was supposed to kill the Tenno. But she didn't, so they slept in there until Tyl Regor woke them up.

Possible mutual assured destruction? Tenno wipe out all but one Sentient = last Sentient has Tenno wipe out Orokin, then supposed to kill off Tenno. Sadly she ignored the last part because she realized how good of killers we are.

No, didn't pick up and left: were sealed away. Locked away within tombs. Buried deep within the worlds of Origin.

She said traveling to Origin made her barren - the only way to travel the vast distances now is via solar rail. The Sentients were made to construct it, to build the rail from Origin to Tau, and in that time they changed. They completed the rail. Became all-but-immune to the Void. Returned to Origin.

There was never any willing "let us be killed off", there was the Lotus, stepping up, choosing her own path, choosing us, refusing to follow through with the final sequence.

Edited by Morec0