Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Is How I Felt About Parkour 2.0 After Playing It For 10 Minutes

Viqualy

Im playing this game since 2 years, they changed the parkour around before, so well im used to not being able to copter around.

Also i like the mobility in parkour 2.0 alot more and you dont have to use staff weapons to get to high places now anymore too. 

The game is still fast enough and you couldnt hit alot with spin attacks at the coptering speed anyways.

yiu and me both. speaking of master parkour race is there a montage of the various things you can do? i saw a video that showed the tutorial but some tips and tricks would be nice.

-everything's a jump-pad now, use jump when ever you can =)

-use sprint+crouch+dodge for quick controlled forward movement, mix it with jumps/BJ for flavor

-use dodge roll to control your horizontal movement if you´re too high

-if you want to change directions midair, control them before you trigger them with aimglide so you don´t need spiderman fingers reflexes

any many more o.o

Edited by VoidNomade

Maybe presumptuously on behalf of my fellow console peasant underracers, but i'd like to thank the Glorious PC beta testers for ensuring we get more polished updates, and a more stable game, without all that messy hotfixing "opps we patched that wrong" stuff.

I'm sure we will all appreciate Parkour 2.0 when it arrives.  Eventually.

This, but also wallrunning ON the wall, which allowed me to shoot while running without falling off the wall.

This would be a valid argument if anyone had ever actually used parkour 1.0 wallrunning. In what parkour 1.0 situation was there ever a reason to wall run?

After I got used to it, I find parkour 2.0 a lot more versatile than the old system. Instead of directional melee, now I use directional double and bullet jump. I can even propel myself across a map by chaining double and bullet jumps. The only real difference is a few more buttons to push.

Wall runs are a lot more controllable, that I feel more like Spiderman now instead of like the Flash, with the previous system. However, the old wall running did look a lot cooler than the current wall "hop". All I can say is that we'd better get to keep the bunny ears after next Easter rolls around.

Parkour 2.0 is better yes, but far from perfect.

Bullet jump is useless for anything other than height and going for long jumps require a ton of button mashing.

Learn to do it midair. Works just like directional melee.

Maybe presumptuously on behalf of my fellow console peasant underracers, but i'd like to thank the Glorious PC beta testers for ensuring we get more polished updates, and a more stable game, without all that messy hotfixing "opps we patched that wrong" stuff.

I'm sure we will all appreciate Parkour 2.0 when it arrives.  Eventually.

dude this wasn't meant to bash on consoles because they don't have pk 2.0 yet.

and also my main acc is on PSN so i can't wait either

Edited by Viqualy

Ok, so I've had a bit with the new Parkour system.

Positives: Bullet jump is easier to perform and more reliable. With practice you can move from bullet jump to sprint slide and back repeatedly without too much effort. You can control your wall-hopping pretty well on surfaces that allow it. It totally broke the old obstacle course in the dojo. You are free to use whatever melee weapons you want now without detriment based on choice. Stamina is gone, which was always a bad idea to have anyway in a game about movement.

Negatives: OH boy. It's slower. Massively slower. Even with bullet jump, the frames move much slower. My Rhino Prime, with Vanguard and maxed rush, runs FASTER than any amount of bullet jumping parkour. The wall jumping is even slower, and it looks horrible. You don't look like a ninja, you look like a Mario reject. It's beyond ridiculous. Worse, wall climbing up looks like you're about to begin a "lord of the dance' sequence. Who thought this looked good? Wall hopping needs to have a better animation; preferably one that looks like running and not bouncing like a bunny. The keyboard moves required to do the bullet jump sprint slide combo to keep your speed up are just as painful on the hand as coptering. That problem was not solved. The maps and tilesets weren't prepared for Parkour 2.0 and it shows; lots of surfaces you can't wall hop on at all, lots of places you get randomly stuck for no reason, lots of places you get that reset you to the ground like a fall, just in the course of normal movement. All that supposed control were were going to use to make us feel more like ninja is there, but useless. It feels very 'consolized', which to a PC player means made weaker and more useless in order to make console players more capable with it because of the limitations of their control scheme (gamepads are inferior). It does not flow well into air-melee attacks, in my experience, from bullet jump. In fact, to get the most speed out of bullet jump I often get caught above doorways in ways that I never had problems with using coptering. I've found aim-glide to be relatively useless, but that may be because I kill all the enemies too quickly and don't need it. I was doing the John Woo kills in the air without aim glide, and with it I don't shoot more people. Part of that may be the unreliability of the targeting in bullet jump; it doesn't seem to jump where I'm aiming at the time half the time.

How do you fix it? 

First, ditch bunny-hopping on walls. Just change it to wall-running with the ability to run in not-straight lines. Hell, the old wall running looked better, and it included the ability to fling yourself at high-speed off the wall. It took skill to use right, but you could do it and do it reliably.

Second, bring back coptering. WAIT. Before you all drop your collective intellect in an effort to whine, let me finish. Bring it back, but set all of the weapons to have the same movement effects from the copter. Even the heavy melee. I know some people had trouble using it, but when you mastered it (which wasn't difficult) not only was coptering an effective and RELIABLE movement method, it wasn't any worse that the current bullet-jump-sprint-slide move required to move half as fast, and you had the added bonus of doing damage along the way. I'd mastered not only landing exactly where I wanted to, but taking out enemies along the way, and finishing my slashes or attacks in the middle of a crowd. It made melee a much more viable strategy than it is now, because no I can't close in a reliable way without taking damage (60% isn't enough). I need that ability to spin-slash past my enemies, hitting them in the head as I go by, and begin attacking my next target immediately, not waiting for either a roll I don't want or a slow-stand from a crouch when I land. 

Third, and this is the hard one, redo the tilesets to make the surfaces wall-runnable and to make the invisible 'jaggies' you get caught on disappear. Close up the holes in the map that exist because no one thought you'd be able to get there when they made it. Polish the old tilesets to work with parkour 2.0.

Fourth, allow momentum based on the speed of the frame, so faster frames don't get nerfed using Parkour. Loki should feel fast jumping around, but it doesn't anymore. Rhino Prime shouldn't run faster than he can jump-slide. If I put Rush on my frame, I expect it to jump faster as well, not exactly the same in a way that makes me stop wanting to jump around.

I played some missions with Rebecca and a clanmate, and she asked what our opinion of Parkour 2.0 was. I told her that it was slower, and that I didn't think I was adjusting very well. Well, now I'm adjusted, and it's still not better. My clanmate later confessed to saying he wanted to tell her he couldn't wait until Parkour 3.0, but didn't want hurt feelings. (BTW, if you get the chance to play with Rebecca, do so. She's awesome.)

Parkour 2.0 is mostly polished, but frankly, it doesn't work well in my opinion. Maybe with adjusted tilesets some of the issues would go away, and certainly I'll work around it like I've worked around all of DE's other decisions I thought weren't very smart, but I beg DE to at least look at the opinions about the bunny hopping. No one I've talked to, even those who like the new Parkour system, think it looks anything but bad. It might move better or more controlled, but it looks bad.

It's not a mess. It's just not better than before, IMO. It's fixable. 

But the wall bunny-hopping. Ugh. No more.

This would be a valid argument if anyone had ever actually used parkour 1.0 wallrunning. In what parkour 1.0 situation was there ever a reason to wall run?

I did. You could gain massive speed-boosts wall running and attacking off the wall. Faster than coptering, which you could also lead directly into coptering. I could run around the columns in the dojo great halls (we have some of the old-style with round columns). The old system worked well if you knew how to use it. Most people didn't try.

Parkour 2.0 is superior in every way. I'm having much more fun just traversing the environment than I ever did with buggy, unreliable 1.0.

I can get to any location with 2.0 compared to wonky 1.0 guess work. I no longer look at a ledge and think "hmmm, how can I get there?" I just go.

It feels very ninja now. Aim gliding is better than any glitch in 1.0. It's controlled and can be adjusted with mods.

P2.0 has been one of my favorite additions to WF. I really don't understaffed how people can hate on it in comparison to what we had before.

I did. You could gain massive speed-boosts wall running and attacking off the wall. Faster than coptering, which you could also lead directly into coptering. I could run around the columns in the dojo great halls (we have some of the old-style with round columns). The old system worked well if you knew how to use it. Most people didn't try.

Are you referring to wall flinging, where you could onto a wall for a fraction of a second and were hurled off it at supersonic speeds? That's not really wall running.

Edited by 4G3NT_0R4NG3

It's both better and worse, but it makes more melee weapons useful so the better outweighs. :)

If bullet jump could at least do exactly what I want it to from the ground it'd be nicer, instead of banging my head by going too far up. Sure I could jump first but then you go slower. You could also copter in air and copter again to change direction if you're heading off a cliff~ you can only bullet jump once and never change direction.