Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Naming And Shaming Disallowed?

Xhos

Today, I finally got off my &#! to farm Mesa. I already had 2 keys so I saw someone looking to do a keyshare and so I joined in.

We got the helmet first, then the system and a helmet (my key) again.

At this moment, the man fled, like the coward he was. The next run, I used my key and we got the system. Sweet, sweet revenge.

In fact, we didn't even ask him to use his keys and he ran.

I feel that we should be allowed to name and shame people.

Users have the right to know if they will be lied to by others. We must know who are thieves in order to stop them.

Some may feel different, but I feel so.

Agree or disagree?

Naming and shaming makes you no better than the person who you're naming and shaming. It essentially reinforces people hunting the person down like a lynch mob, which is something that is wrong. 

If someone wronged you, report them and leave it at that. 

I'd rather have naming and shaming stay as it is.Also,How is this off topic???

I don't know where to put it. Certainly not general discussion.

Naming and shaming makes you no better than the person who you're naming and shaming. It essentially reinforces people hunting the person down like a lynch mob, which is something that is wrong. 

If someone wronged you, report them and leave it at that. 

If we could name and shame, people would stop doing things like this. I want douches like this to go in every mission and be laughed at.

"Hey, it's that guy who lied!"

I tried to report him too, unfortunately there is no section for not keeping his promise.

We also have people who lag out due to net acting weird at time(like me).  We get kicked out of keyshares along with any other game we they play and the guy who is host is pissed that we left when here we are sitting there wondering" what just happened, oh no not again". So, just report them if you feel you need to....

Edited by seniledark

If we could name and shame, people would stop doing things like this. I want douches like this to go in every mission and be laughed at.

I tried to report him too, unfortunately there is no section for not keeping his promise.

Then you sir, are no better than the user who pretty wronged you.

You could be the better man, but instead you'd rather act as an instigator.

What if someone is being framed for something they didn't do?

What if someone's internet busted out and left a mission by accident, and then the host makes a thread naming him for leaving the match. That guy did nothing wrong and he probably doesn't even know about the thread made after him. 

Well maybe in the land of sunshine and rainbows where unicorns frolic around singing  'Good Ship Lollipop' your idea might actually work.

But those of us not oblivious to reality know that naming and shaming just feeds the trolls and makes things worse.

Edited by TennoMordant

If we could name and shame, people would stop doing things like this.

No they wouldn't. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how people work.

Naming & shaming promotes witchhunts, and brings drama to a post that is best left for private reporting. Nothing is gained from it; the very few people that see the name will probably forget it anyway, effectively meaning absolutely nothing ingame. It won't spark a mass blacklisting of bad players unless that player's name was broadcast to everyone all the time.

Furthermore, keyshare scamming isn't DE's problem. It's a problem caused by players exploiting a method used by players that was devised by players, with DE having the same stance on it as they do for enforcing trades for promises.

Then you sir, are no better than the user who pretty wronged you.

You could be the better man, but instead you'd rather act as an instigator.

I really hate the "you're no better than that guy" saying. OP isn't the one who didn't toss up a key for a keyshare. Whoever OP is speaking of is the one who did. Is it so wrong to simply wish for no one else to basically be scammed out of a key by whoever this person may be?

No i'd say for wanting justice, OP is literally a better person than whomever didn't throw their key into the pile in terms honor if indeed this person left purposefully without using their key.

That being said, there is no proof of any kind, nor will there ever be any irrefutable proof on this subject since things like Photoshop exist, that whomever OP is speaking of left the group out of ill will. It may have been a connection issue, maybe an internet problem, or maybe they are simply a disingenuous person. We'll never know the answer.

Edited by spidey2092

I really hate the "you're no better than that guy" saying. OP isn't the one who didn't toss up a key for a keyshare. Whoever OP is speaking of is the one who did. Is it so wrong to simply wish for no one else to basically be scammed out of a key by whoever this person may be?

No i'd say for wanting justice, OP is literally a better person than whomever didn't throw their key into the pile in terms honor if indeed this person left purposefully without using their key.

I dislike it when people think that the way to get back at someone else is to essentially call upon others to shame the user. That's why to me, they are no better than the minor nuisance of a #$&(% that does that to a keyshare

You wanna be a better person? Don't stoop to levels in which you need to bring it here and cause drama. Instead, report him and be on your merry way. Especially when it's something that's just an annoyance.

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

Remember Salem witch trials?

No they wouldn't. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how people work.

Naming & shaming promotes witchhunts, and brings drama to a post that is best left for private reporting. Nothing is gained from it; the very few people that see the name will probably forget it anyway, effectively meaning absolutely nothing ingame. It won't spark a mass blacklisting of bad players unless that player's name was broadcast to everyone all the time.

Furthermore, keyshare scamming isn't DE's problem. It's a problem caused by players exploiting a method used by players that was devised by players, with DE having the same stance on it as they do for enforcing trades for promises.

I don't know where to put it. Certainly not general discussion.

Considering how few of us (relative to the total size of the community) actually use these forums, I doubt very many would remember or care. I've seen many naming and shaming topics (before they were deleted) yet I don't remember any of the people who were exposed. This is because I (and many are like me in this respect) don't truly care if it doesn't directly affect me. The absolute worst case scenario is a few dozen players harass the person with some PMs (that the player likely never receives since they'd probably just go offline when the flood starts and play the next day when the community has forgotten.

I dislike it when people think that the way to get back at someone else is to essentially call upon others to shame the user. That's why to me, they are no better than the minor nuisance of a #$&(% that does that to a keyshare

You wanna be a better person? Don't stoop to levels in which you need to bring it here and cause drama. Instead, report him and be on your merry way. Especially when it's something that's just an annoyance.

You know as well as I do that reporting that person would literally do nothing since that person technically wasn't breaking any rules. It's an unwritten rule that while in a keyshare, you use your key along with everyone else. That's simply being polite. Of course there are always bad apples seeking to spoil the bunch. I'm just saying that I don't think it's wrong of OP to seek some sort of consequence for the person who (seemingly given the evidence) robbed him and the rest of his party. I'm leaning more towards that person simply being disingenuous due to him bolting as soon as it was their turn to use their key.

Again, that being said, there's literally no way to prove that it was done out of malice. It simply could have been some sort of connectivity issue or internet problem. Even with how unlikely it seems to be.

And yes, i agree it is just a minor annoyance. You can simply find another group and go on with your life. Three out of four people being honest isn't a terrible deal. And making an entire thread about the issue may have been a bit much. Still, I can sympathize with OP being upset over being screwed out of another run which he was entitled to.

I have no opinion on whether or not naming and shaming would be a proper response, but with no repercussion for people who get away with stuff like this, they'll simply continue to do it. Surely DE could come up with some better system to prevent this from happening. Perhaps when you enter a keyshare party, everyone has to donate one key of the agreed upon type, and they are used in a row.That way people who are honest won't be getting screwed out of keys. And for people who may somehow get disconnected, there could be a way of rejoining any party that you donated keys to that are still using those keys.

Edited by spidey2092

Consider this an opportunity to simply let a minor grievance pass.

For the sake of argument, let's say this person is welching on purpose. I submit to you that naming and shaming them wouldn't stop them from doing it, as Warframe is a much (much) wider community than just us here who read the forums. Beyond that, there are a great many players who simply wouldn't care about it.

At the end of the day, you've already given this person a measure of power to influence your world. If he or she is reading this post, total victory has been achieved: free lunch and complimentary hater. It's very unlikely that any measure of effort on your part will convince or coerce players like this to stop what they're doing, and while I agree with you 100% that this was crappy behavior, I suggest you save your energy for where it would be better used.

Simply put, you deserve better than to have your time consumed with the Warframe equivalent of kids stealing a pack of gum from the corner store. Remember the name yourself, advise your contacts against grouping with this person, and move on.

Here's why Name and Shame is a bad idea.

Noa offers up her Mesa key to a key share - two people use their keys first and when it's Noa's turn, the fires in the area knocks out the power, internet and cell service - Keyshare team comes on the forums and proceeds to make posts about how Noa is a scammer. (not a true story, I hosted my own keys and got all parts in 3 runs.)

Where is the justice there?

FYI - if you think I'm being hyperbolic about the fires, check the news about the US West coast.  Washington, Oregon, California and Idaho are all ablaze.

Name and Shame is discouraged because it's not justice, it's mob justice, and unless someone straight up says 'I scammed you!' then you will never know for certain what happened. 

Naming and shaming, ultimately, just makes you a bully.

Edited by Noamuth

THE TRUTH IS REVEALED.

Oi, stahp spreading lies about meh!

It's not my fault you got faulty Prime parts, a defective Kubrow and broken mods instead of Primed ones...

I never step foot in key shares. X)

I do my best to avoid them as well.  It's the reason why it took me so long to get Mesa - I refused to keyshare and spent a loooooong time farming out Muti. Navs. to build up about 14 keys.  That way I could bring people along and not worry about getting shorted some how.