The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Can't We Delete / Lock Our Own Threads?

_Medo_

There was a time when you could do it, but they disabled that feature. I don't remember the reason why. You could always report your own topic and request a lock or the deletion of your thread. It works.

I know about the report thing it's just an idea that popped into my head i thought this would take some work off the moderators' backs. didnt know it was available before though. thanks for the info.

would be less work for moderators since the thread owner could see things like a thread turning toxic

it would also help clear space faster as the thread owner checks back every half an hour at least. moderators aren't free all day and might not have the same timezone as the owner

There was a time when you could do it, but they disabled that feature. I don't remember the reason why. You could always report your own topic and request a lock or the deletion of your thread. It works.

would be less work for moderators since the thread owner could see things like a thread turning toxic

there was some trouble with some people who deleted their own posts/threads. contents of those posts/threads guaranteed a warning.  but reports to those where problematic since they where deleted. or so i heard.

Or close it as soon as people start to disagree with opinions or whatever.

It never goes well. The mods seem to have little trouble taking care of the toxicity.

It also leads to things like posting really bad stuff, leaving it up long enough for a bunch of people to see it then deleting it before any punishment can be made. We don't need this option and we would not benefit from it.

I suppose it runs the risk of a potentially interesting discussion being cut short because someone disagrees with the OP and they delete the thread in response. I can see that happening, not that it would be a big deal.

They're saying the person who makes the thread is able to lock/delete, not any random stranger you don't know...

@OP: Scenario- Person posts flame. Person locks own thread to mess with people. People get mad.

there was some trouble with some people who deleted their own posts/threads. contents of those posts/threads guaranteed a warning.  but reports to those where problematic since they where deleted. or so i heard.

I swear there was also something about it causing havoc with the forum's archives. I don't know, it was some time ago.

The ability to delete one's own posts and threads was disabled after the feature was reviewed and it was discovered that there was a seriously common habit of using the feature in order to make harassing or otherwise problematic posts and then delete them so they can't be reported.

It was decided that leaving it to the Moderation worked out better.

Especially since Moderators don't actually delete anything. If you ever see a post vanish it's simply hidden, not deleted. It's still there when we or and Admin reviews the thread. 

As for locking threads, that has always been a tool for Moderators. I can't think of another Official Game Forum that puts lock privileges in the hands of the OP.

The ability to delete one's own posts and threads was disabled after the feature was reviewed and it was discovered that there was a seriously common habit of using the feature in order to make harassing or otherwise problematic posts and then delete them so they can't be reported.

It was decided that leaving it to the Moderation worked out better.

Especially since Moderators don't actually delete anything. If you ever see a post vanish it's simply hidden, not deleted. It's still there when we or and Admin reviews the thread. 

As for locking threads, that has always been a tool for Moderators. I can't think of another Official Game Forum that puts lock privileges in the hands of the OP.

I see. Thanks alot everyone. lock this thread if you want so people benefit from the info later. or if this is mentioned somewhere else then hide the thread or something so it doesn't take up space in the GD section for no good reason.

oh there it is. sorry for reposting about the same topic : / didnt know this existed