Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is De Ever Planning To Buff Silva And Aegis?

Trickst3rGawd

It's funny how it's better in Conclave than it is in normal play.

Currently, a status build works alright on it, but its low range limits the spreading of procs and low damage means it won't hit very hard at all. The stances can add some power to it, but it still really does not hold out well.

To answer your question, though...I kinda doubt it. When the weapon first came out, many people called for a buff, and DE sounded like they heard it. However, it's been a long time since then, and it's never received a buff of any kind. It's not the only weapon to suffer that fate, unfortunately.

It's funny how it's better in Conclave than it is in normal play.

Currently, a status build works alright on it, but its low range limits the spreading of procs and low damage means it won't hit very hard at all. The stances can add some power to it, but it still really does not hold out well.

To answer your question, though...I kinda doubt it. When the weapon first came out, many people called for a buff, and DE sounded like they heard it. However, it's been a long time since then, and it's never received a buff of any kind. It's not the only weapon to suffer that fate, unfortunately.

actually, it was buffed at some point, it had the lowest stamina drain when blocking.

I expected it would have the highest damage reduction of all melee weapons now, but instead it has the same as the heavys and the nikana.

actually, it was buffed at some point, it had the lowest stamina drain when blocking.

I expected it would have the highest damage reduction of all melee weapons now, but instead it has the same as the heavys and the nikana.

Given the last DevStream, Scott and Steve seem like they don't like exactly where blocking is right now and wanted to tweak it further. Hopefully they'll keep Silva & Aegis in mind. It would be kind of neat if the 'Shield' weapon traded some damage for better damage mitigation. 

That being said, I quite like the weapon on Ember. Anything pure fire with her does very well. 

The problem to me is that defense doesn't win battles.  Warframe is not a game where you can really outlast an opponent. You don't win a fight through endurance and then move on with your life.  Instead Warframe is a game where enemies come at you, en masse, and persistently. This leads to a style of gameplay that emphasizes fast kills, AOE killls, and crowd control, more than it does defense.   And then there is the mechanics of blocking, whereby in order to block you must switch to your melee weapon i.e. give up any kind of ranged capability, which makes you vulnerable. Finally, melee weapons are for the most part much weaker than guns. I am not including permanent stealth Loki builds, as they have a significant melee damage multiplier, nor ability-based melee like Exalted Blade.

All of this conspires to rob sword (axe) and shield of its practical application.  Enemies at low levels die trivially to absolutely any properly modded weapon, so why would you pick a melee weapon with relatively slow speed and short reach, when a whip or a polearm can clear entire rooms with a single stroke, or warframe abilities, or AOE spam, etc.  And at the other end of the spectrum, if you're fighting at high levels then a weapon that can reduce damage against you seems attractive until you consider that in order to get this blocking power you're forced to engage these super power enemies at short range and without cover, with a weapon that has very low practical damage output. Why on earth would I use a sword and shield to slowly kill an enemy that can in turn kill me almost instantly, when I could instead put them down with a single arrow or shotgun blast.

Really if you want a quick and easy fix to make shields relevant, go back to the olden days when we could block without our melee weapon equipped. Because then you can quickly alternate between blocking and shooting and THAT would be useful.

Why buff, when we can just slap on a prisma skin, fudge up the stats and little and release as a new item? Or add some new texture, append some fancy suffix and release as new event item?

Don't put in too much love to your Silva and Aegis. If it doesn't have a suffix, or prefix, it is doomed to be 'replaced'.

(bitterness..... lol)

It's a terrible weapon and probably always will be.

Best case scenario after a few hundred threads *@##$ing about it for another 1.5 years we'll get a supra-esque buff that will put it to "decent" status.

Worst case scenario they nerf the blocking percentage on it because it "wasn't working as intended" or something.

WOAH AWESOME IDEA O_o

indeed. I like the thought!

Though it may mean less "new" options for future weapon designs (putting a different element was a strategy for making 'new' weapons seems 'new').

But yeah, I like it.

Now, if only we had 'transforming' weapons as well, such as joining dual hachets to form a single great axe, or 'breaking' a bo into dual nunchucks.  yeah, will create hell wrt to stance mods and modding issues in general, but it will be cool ;)

indeed. I like the thought!

Though it may mean less "new" options for future weapon designs (putting a different element was a strategy for making 'new' weapons seems 'new').

But yeah, I like it.

Now, if only we had 'transforming' weapons as well, such as joining dual hachets to form a single great axe, or 'breaking' a bo into dual nunchucks.  yeah, will create hell wrt to stance mods and modding issues in general, but it will be cool ;)

^ THIS TOO XD

The problem to me is that defense doesn't win battles.  Warframe is not a game where you can really outlast an opponent. You don't win a fight through endurance and then move on with your life.  Instead Warframe is a game where enemies come at you, en masse, and persistently. This leads to a style of gameplay that emphasizes fast kills, AOE killls, and crowd control, more than it does defense.   And then there is the mechanics of blocking, whereby in order to block you must switch to your melee weapon i.e. give up any kind of ranged capability, which makes you vulnerable. Finally, melee weapons are for the most part much weaker than guns. I am not including permanent stealth Loki builds, as they have a significant melee damage multiplier, nor ability-based melee like Exalted Blade.

All of this conspires to rob sword (axe) and shield of its practical application.  Enemies at low levels die trivially to absolutely any properly modded weapon, so why would you pick a melee weapon with relatively slow speed and short reach, when a whip or a polearm can clear entire rooms with a single stroke, or warframe abilities, or AOE spam, etc.  And at the other end of the spectrum, if you're fighting at high levels then a weapon that can reduce damage against you seems attractive until you consider that in order to get this blocking power you're forced to engage these super power enemies at short range and without cover, with a weapon that has very low practical damage output. Why on earth would I use a sword and shield to slowly kill an enemy that can in turn kill me almost instantly, when I could instead put them down with a single arrow or shotgun blast.

Really if you want a quick and easy fix to make shields relevant, go back to the olden days when we could block without our melee weapon equipped. Because then you can quickly alternate between blocking and shooting and THAT would be useful.

You obviously never properly used melee weapons at all I see. You should know that finisher damage is true damage that any gun isn't in capable of, which if you actually used involves blocking so parry them to open to a finisher. Or weapons that have stances that actually stagger enemies into a finisher combo as well. The only downside to finisher damage (when it comes to blocking) is that not all enemies have a stagger animation that opens up for a finisher move moas, ancients, chargers unless you have knocked them down for a ground finisher.

Final Harbinger is a reasonable boon to Silva & Aegis, but I think one thing that could really bring out shields as a viable high-end weapon would be for them to be usable with single-handed secondaries. Imagine being able to use Lex Prime with your shield. Just aim to raise the shield. Also, shields should be absorbing 100% of damage while blocking. It's a shield. Blocking is its one true purpose. It just coincidentally happens to be good at bashing heads in.

Though that's just my 2 credits.

EDIT: If a nimrod Grineer can do it, a Tenno super-warrior should be able to with ease.

Edited by Rehtael7

Final Harbinger is a reasonable boon to Silva & Aegis, but I think one thing that could really bring out shields as a viable high-end weapon would be for them to be usable with single-handed secondaries. Imagine being able to use Lex Prime with your shield. Just aim to raise the shield. Also, shields should be absorbing 100% of damage while blocking. It's a shield. Blocking is its one true purpose. It just coincidentally happens to be good at bashing heads in.

Though that's just my 2 credits.

EDIT: If a nimrod Grineer can do it, a Tenno super-warrior should be able to with ease.

I've asked for shield and pistol in the past, but it's worth pointing out that this should only be relatively lower end pistols.  It would be OP as hell to give you perfect blocking and a hand-cannon like the Lex Prime.

I've asked for shield and pistol in the past, but it's worth pointing out that this should only be relatively lower end pistols.  It would be OP as hell to give you perfect blocking and a hand-cannon like the Lex Prime.

Would it really? Of all the insane things in this game, THAT would be OP? Have you seen Tonkor Mirage? Let's say that using the pistol + shield combo only goes off of a narrow blocking cone, and only blocks 80% of incoming damage. Is that more reasonable?