Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Fix Everyone Using Carrier For Everything

OceanSync

I like the idea some have mooted, of having a Mod for both Sentinels and Kubrows that hoovers up the shinies like the Carrier now does, with the Carrier's schtick being actually carrying (e.g. retaining blue balls over the limit, and dispensing them later).

Sometimes, when I've died and my Carrier has died, I'm reminded what it was like having to "manually" pick everything up - and actually, in a way, it's a bit of a fun mini-game, and it's not so bad.  The only problem is - efficiency and time taken.  By the time you're late game and smelt all the roses at least once, you kind of resent any extra time it takes to do things.  Which means that both you, and teammates, can't spend time finding optimal paths to "manually" pick stuff up on any mission type other than Defences really.

Edited by Omnimorph

Wouldn't change a thing - a vast portion of the playerbase would still convince themselves that Carrier is the only "efficient" choice; that they play better than those without one (they don't!); and won't accept that all that "must have loot" is actually junk they didn't need anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the rest of the companions - many of them are arguably more useful than Carrier once you get over the perpetuating BS detailed above.

But like so many myths propagated by communities throughout history - it just keeps on going despite being wrong in so many ways.

Wouldn't change a thing - a vast portion of the playerbase would still convince themselves that Carrier is the only "efficient" choice; that they play better than those without one (they don't!); and won't accept that all that "must have loot" is actually junk they didn't need anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the rest of the companions - many of them are arguably more useful than Carrier once you get over the perpetuating BS detailed above.

But like so many myths propagated by communities throughout history - it just keeps on going despite being wrong in so many ways.

this. x10.

Only solutions i ever hear for carrier are basically buffs to powercreep/mindless play, with a new ability that will just make people want to use carrier even more.

"hey, if you give all the companions vacuum and make carrier even BETTER, we wont use carrier"..what?

I feel like a better option would just be adding an innate pickup to all companions and just reworking the function of the companions that were meant for just that specific aspect. This is supposed to be a fast paced combat game, not a run around making sure you didn't miss the loot game. 

Though I wouldn't be against a mechanic similar to this for stationary defense missions, I don't feel like there's enough time to fully loot everything during those sorts of missions while also doing your part in helping the team. (could just make it so every five rotations or such all loot is auto collected for those who aren't considered afk)

I use carrier to get the loot drops inside walls in void missions, or from bad chest spawns. One time I had a rare box spawn in a wall and couldn't scan it, but on hitting it with an explosion and having my carrier get the loot, I got the items.

Until DE fixes the bad or inconvenient spawns and stuff like that, the carrier stays. I'd be happy enough with a small 1 meter diameter loot magnet inherent to all companions solely for situations like this. You'll still have to be right next to the drop, you just don't have to physically stand directly on it. Just within arms reach.

The players could just have innate vacuum then replace vacuum on the carrier with something. The distance may have to be tweaked and be unaffected by mods otherwise we'll end up with another camping outbreak.

give frame an innate vacuum, just like archwing and replace carrier's vacuum for something less convenient. How many mods and resources I missed because they go threw walls and can't pick them without carrier or greedy pull.

Yes! I notice that Vacuum draws items towards the frame anyway. We do not have to "throw the baby out with the bath water" so to speak. A slightly wider innate pick-up radius on the frame similar to Archwing could ease those frustrating "close but not close enough" drop -- and then leave Carrier's Vacuum wide radius as-is for those who still prefer to play that way, or if a particular tactic or ammo-hungry gun warrants its use.

I feel this would restore at least some balance. It would make selecting which companion to bring an actual choice between sacrificing one ability for another, without one being overwhelmingly the 'best'.

The situation is that Carrier (Prime) has a nice utility, but every other Companion's utility pales in comparison to that of Carrier. The ability to suck all nearby loot is just too good to pass up.

We solve this by buffing/reworking other Companions.

Edited by AzureEmulation

Or picking up items in a small radius could be a default mechanic and not require a Sentinel at all. Honestly, in a game that's almost all about picking up loot you would think that we wouldn't have to use a very specific item (or companion) just to do something that should've been available from the get go. I'm actually a bit sad that the Devs just blew it off as "something only casual players need/use."

Theres nothing to " Fix " lol

The notion that it's Noobs, Casuals, Scrubs or some othere negitive term that only use the Carrier is complete BS

I learned along time ago in other MMO's with companions that I DONT WANT companions aggroing or effecting the enemy spawns in any kind of way. Theyre mine to manipulate any way i see fit.

The Warframe community is so full condecending snobs that it's laughable, as soon as somthing is overwhelmingly popular it's shat upon and those that use it are looked down upon. 

I im in a defense mission and letting the cryopod heal from dmg be letting a shield sentinel or some other npc stay alive and you companion kill's it.. guess what?  YOUR THE SCRUB.

I dont even equip striker on my carrier, seeing as I can handle damage, CC, and survivability on my own, thus vacuum is the BEST utility as sentinel can offer due to the design of the drop system. MANY f2p games have pets that WILL auto loot and it's ALWAYS a popular thing because it's one thing less to deal with. I kill and run around without looking at the ground and my carrier will do it's "job"

Edited by TrueBuddhaBruh

The situation is that Carrier (Prime) has a nice utility, but every other Companion's utility pales in comparison to that of Carrier. The ability to suck all nearby loot is just too good to pass up.

Actually, I find my Huras's ability to make me invisible aiding with stealth to be MUCH higher utility than some mindless vacuum following me around picking up loot that I can simply walk over myself.

Carrier is for those that just want to rush through everything and see MISSION COMPLETE as fast as possible without actually taking part in the larger game. If all you want to do is run through a level and shoot bad guys, dust off your Nintendo and play some Contra. lol

Carrier is like doing a book report with Cliff Notes......just a cheap shortcut.

Actually, I find my Huras's ability to make me invisible aiding with stealth to be MUCH higher utility than some mindless vacuum following me around picking up loot that I can simply walk over myself.

Carrier is for those that just want to rush through everything and see MISSION COMPLETE as fast as possible without actually taking part in the larger game. If all you want to do is run through a level and shoot bad guys, dust off your Nintendo and play some Contra. lol

Carrier is like doing a book report with Cliff Notes......just a cheap shortcut.

lol wut?

Ok, if you want to sneak about a level not being seen, go play Metal Gear.

Silly assumptions are silly.

These types of threads make the false claim that vacuum is absolutely necessary that it needs to be innate to everything. Just because a majority of players use vacuum does not make it necessary, it's just that people are so used to the sentinel picking up stuff for them that they just can't go back to doing it themselves. People are always like this where they find it really hard to give up a convenience. 

Obviously DE still want drops to be a "physical" thing where we have to pick them up but Vacuum, even though it makes it a lot easier to do, requires you to use a specific sentinel instead of the others to use it. That's the sacrifice. You could argue that the other sentinels aren't worth using over Carrier, but suggesting that vacuum be innate to everything removes that sacrifice and to a degree makes the point of picking up drops pointless.