Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archer Warframe - Infinite Wall Latch

JesterTheNight

So, I just finished watching the NYCC panel and the first thing that came into my mind after they explained how this new frame's abilities work is: "I don't want to leave my "body" in a vulnerable position.".

If you don't know what I'm talking about then here's how she'll work; when you use one of her abilities you will take control of the arrow so you can steer it like in Dark Sector, the Nikita in MGS or like in Heavenly Sword or even killstreaks in Call Of Duty (and any CoD player knows that when you're gonna pop that AC-130 killstreak you wanna hide).

Warframe doesn't have a cover system so losing control of your frame to shoot your ult while being swarmed in a T4 Def or something like that isn't that great. As of now we don't have much info about her abilities so we don't know if taking this huge risk is gonna pay off.

So my suggestion is, let her passive be that she has infinite A LONG LASTING wall latch (something like +40-50% duration) so we can position ourselves somewhere on a high wall (there's not many trees in WF to really feel like Robin Hood :P) and be somewhat protected by enemy fire (I know Air Glide makes the enemy lose a lil bit of accuracy, dunno about wall latch <- looks like it's the same for wall latch) so that we can shoot out abilities in relative safety.

Also, it'll look really cool.

Edited by JesterTheNight

Infinite wall latch feels like a BIT much (extended, for sure, but INFINITE?), plus we don't yet see how her other abilities will work. Mayhaps there's something in her kit to assist with this idea?

Aside from that: get an Atlas buddy and hide behind his rocks.

Edited by Morec0

Infinite wall latch feels like a BIT much (extended, for sure, but INFINITE?), plus we don't yet see how her other abilities will work. Mayhaps there's something in her kit to assist with this idea?

Aside from that: get an Atlas buddy and hide behind his rocks.

Well of course I thought about staying inside a Frost's globe, it's not like you'll always play with Atlas, Volt, Limbo or Frost though. Also depending on another frame isn't that great (even though I like when frames' abilities synergize well with one another).

I dunno if infinite wall latch is a bit too much, can't really see any downside to it, it's not like you can exploit it, you can't move after all.

Infinite wall latch immediately brings Infested to mind. What are they gonna do to a Tenno hugging a wall or tree several dozens of metres up in the air?

Hm, okay, maybe infinite is a bit too much? Those MOAs can snipe you though.

Edited by JesterTheNight

Don't see much of a problem here. There are already quite an amount of places, where you can hide from enemies. In most cases using them isn't very effective, so giving an ability to have a relatively safe hiding place anywhere with high ceiling is ok to me.

Why is it a bit too much?

Being immobilized with a limited fov and no way to dodge bullets or negate damage while also using a single shot charge weapon is too much for you>

Because, as noted, against a certain faction being able to latch high above the enemy and rain tower down on them with whatever would cause for some balancing issues.

I've not heard much about this Archer Frame.

First thing I wanna say, if it's next, she's female. If she's female, we call her Artemis or RIOT. O_O

Secondly, I was unfortunately unable to go to NYCC. (Thus my lack of knowledge on this frame.)

But if she's Artemis, she could totally have a band of Wardogs protecting her. Sleek snow-white Kubrow in silver armor. (When/if she gets primed, sleek gold accents can be added on the armor. Bonus for any moon-shaped designs.)

Why is it a bit too much?

Being immobilized with a limited fov and no way to dodge bullets or negate damage while also using a single shot charge weapon is too much for you>

You don't wall latch much do you?

Even against foes like Grineer/Corpus, there's a boon to latching to a wall should you do so.  Being in a wall latch automatically causes an enemy accuracy reduction during said wall latch.  This goes in contradiction to part of your complaint "unable to dodge bullets/negate damage" because the act of wall latching does just this, reduces damage by causing shots to be more likely to miss.

The farther away you are (in most cases) the better too.  So being able to limitlessly wall latch up on high would be gamebreaking versus all factions, not just Infested.  This is why wall latch is as limited in usage as it is currently, because you're not even close to being a sitting duck, despite being still.  Maybe something like 20-40% additional wall latch time could work out overall without mucking up things.

Anyways, having a parkour oriented passive would be stellar to see for this Archer Frame as far as I'm concerned.  This including a wall latch time increase possibly or other things maybe.  Like for instance maybe the Archer Frame could have "triple jump" as a passive, or a general parkour boost (improving all animation speeds/velocity) or something of that nature.  Mabye an innate damage resistance bonus which is only active during parkour actions.  The list goes on, but I dig the idea of rolling with something of a mobility-based nature.

Short version;  Straight no to your initial idea, because such is very overpowered.  Yes to the idea of having some form of parkour/mobility related passive for the upcoming Archer frame.

To all people saying it'd be OP, remember that abilities have range, surely an Archer frame is bound to have an incredible range on her abilities (ability range caps at 70m if I remember correctly, could be wrong though) so going TOO high wouldn't work.

Yesterday on Devstream 61 they said that Rhino would get Heavy Impact as his passive so maybe Archer could get something like Patagium (but better since +15% isn't that much)? Increased Air Glide and Wall Latch (so no Infinite parkour time).

Well you're not wrong that this will leave you vulnerable, but lets consider the synergy possibilities it will create (provided that its useful enough to worry about.)

-Limbo can banish your body or open a Cataclysm around you while you guide the arrow

-Nyx can protect you with Absorb

-Ye olde Snow Globe

-Total Eclipse Mirage can give you 95% damage reduction (since you damn well better be hiding in a dark corner)

-Atlas can wall you into said corner

-Volt can protect you with a shield

-Zephyr can deflect projectiles away from you with Turbulence

The list goes on. CC can buy you time. Summons and decoys can draw off attention. Personally I would welcome abilities with a high degree of potential if they require teamwork for that potential to be realized.

Well you're not wrong that this will leave you vulnerable, but lets consider the synergy possibilities it will create (provided that its useful enough to worry about.)

-Limbo can banish your body or open a Cataclysm around you while you guide the arrow

-Ye olde Snow Globe

-Total Eclipse Mirage can give you 95% damage reduction (since you damn well better be hiding in a dark corner)

The list goes on. CC can buy you time. Summons and decoys can draw off attention. Personally I would welcome abilities with a high degree of potential if they require teamwork for that potential to be realized.

Of course there are a lot of options that would make this passive useless. I was thinking about solo play when I came up with her passive (just to clarify, I'm not a solo player), usually the archer archetype is a lone wolf that strikes from places where no one can see them, I just think the wall latching thing fits the theme.

Warframe being a co-op game makes things like these a little obsolete since you can have teammates cover your back in so many ways, but I think it adds a little character to the frame.

-Ye olde Snow Globe

Banking way too much on careless teammates that don't even care you exist(Until you go down which would mean more work for them) and that Limbo would likely be a troll :)

Also banking way too much on teammates that won't even be there(Solo) or with rushers/explorers.

Edited by Sorise

Maybe she can have a handy dandy cardboard box around when it comes to hiding, or some other environmentally appropriate object? As in, using it and not moving while under inspection won't raise the alarm. Then she can just snipe to her heart's content. :3