The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Steam Workshop Should Allow For Modding, Not Just Premium Skins

AdunSaveMe

While opening t up for community-made cosmetics is great, it's also a missed opportunity.

There are a lot of people (myself included) who want to use and create things like custom HUD overlays, personalized in-mission announcers or sound effects, whether it be for free or for a price.

There's nothing to lose from doing this, as long as you can't turn maggot models into grineer.

Plus, if people could make things like improved texture mods, DE could put em into the game properly.

Kinda like what Chucklefish does with some Starbound community mods.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Its possible they will expand it into this, for now its sort of the start up to the program to see how well it will work.

As long as they at least consider the benefits.

I think it'd have to be moderated/greenlit to an extent though, so people aren't faced with the option of installing one of five hundred "turn the lotus into a duck" mods.

If someone get a mod, then he can ONLY play with others that have this mod too.

But that's not anywhere close to being true in the slightest.

Left 4 Dead 2 as an example doesn't require that everyone has the same mod. I can make my tanks look and sound like frost trolls while another guy in the same match has his look and sound like Shrek.

You do realize that anything made on SW will be vetted 1st by DE before getting integrated into the game.

Hopefully you realize that has almost nothing to do with what I'm suggesting.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

But that's not anywhere close to being true in the slightest.

Left 4 Dead 2 as an example doesn't require that everyone has the same mod. I can make my tanks look and sound like frost trolls while another guy in the same match has his look and sound like Shrek.

Hopefully you realize that has almost nothing to do with what I'm suggesting.

L4D2 don't have the same "program" than Warframe, in Warframe you can't change the game files itself because the launcher verify that everything can work with everything, but you can with L4D2.

Edited by xXxenoX9x

I'm not sure... The only game I've seen with online modding is L4D2 and that one has dedicated Servers while we have peer2peer, who knows how that could effect the net of the Host if he has tons of mods in his side and it lags his net because he is reproducing more than he "should"? (Thats happens when I play L4D2 and put waaayyy too many mods on)

Warframe is too dynamic a game to handle modding very easily. There's no way that mod authors could easily keep up with weekly updates (hell, even DE can't keep up with the bugs sometimes).

To be fair, mods don't always need to be updated as often as the game is. Usually only if the update affects said mod.

As in, an update to how textures are loaded won't affect a mod that makes Vor sound like Kylie Minogue.

The only likely scenario is a TF2/DotA2 situation of you submit ideas you yourself have to make and they check it to allow it. and depending on what it is it'll get a price tag. Not all games should be moddable.

Edit: Just checked, that's exactly what's happening, alright then. I don't expect anything else.

Edited by TyrantBelial

The reason its just skins is because they are going to be selling them. Modding in general gets into territory of actual gameplay and they don't want to charge for that, it would also throw their balancing of the game off in this F2P. They might expand things into audio file mods or something but I don't think there will be much of anything else outside of cosmetics like these.

Edited by UrielColtan

Modding a multiplayer game?

If someone get a mod, then he can ONLY play with others that have this mod too.

Why would you think that? In WoW people usually have anywhere from 10 to 80+ mods running when playing and there are hundreds available. Almost everyone has his  own set of preferred addons.

Obviously, things like new weapons would not be possible and things like texture changes would only be visible to the player who has installed them unless obvioulsy DE decided to import them into the general game code. But UI mods only need to be seen by the person using them so theres no problem with those.